pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 79.
#2701 4 years ago

So how many people who were never going to buy this pin say they are cancelling their order?

#2702 4 years ago

I love transparent floating head.

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So how many people who were never going to buy this pin say they are cancelling their order?

I’m quite the opposite. Never had intentions, but now I’m trying to figure out what to move out so I can bring one in. I think it looks pretty darn good.

#2704 4 years ago

I could get this or a hobbit that’s got over 2800 plays on it. What would you choose?

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

I could get this or a hobbit that’s got over 2800 plays on it. What would you choose?

Do you see what thread you’re in?

#2706 4 years ago

Although the ramps arent very interesting, I think this appears to have the best layout of the 3 Elvira pins. Definitely way more shots than the previous 2.

Scared Stiff is actually my least favorite layout. Although, in regard to artwork and sounds, Scared Stiff is still the best one.

The floating heads were a little much. Inner tube pops didnt bother me. I like the movie clips. It will be interesting to see how far things will go with this new pin.

#2707 4 years ago

I’m thinking Elvira

#2708 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

Anything but Hobbit

#2709 4 years ago

The only thing about the animations that I didn’t care for are the heads floating in the way. Other than that add in end of ball bonus and player 2 -4 your turn reminders. I kinda like those.

#2710 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Please keep in mind that some things could be placeholders. Match animation is low on the priority list for things to do. It's not 1.0 code.
Rob

No doubt. Just a little worried is all. But, I do think their is a nice frame for the game. The bones of the skeleton are in the right places.
But, they do need to flesh it out a lot more.
And I do think they need to be a bit more bold or ballsy. Because, they have a 6 ball multiball, so this machine sure should have some balls to match.
If they're worried about being family friendly. then have a ff filter that you can enable.

Still. I think the game is going to be a lot of fun. I was surprised at how smooth it looked to shoot. And I've played(wish I owned) the hell out of the prior two Elvira games and both of those games shoot amazing. But early thoughts... The callouts in both prior games are superior.
As I stated before. Ohhh nice organ. One of the best MB starts ever. Monstrous. Great jackpot callout.
I'm experiencing multiple Jackpots. Funny... And I also love the wake me when you're finished. After you keep hitting repeat shots.

So far... No humor really in the callouts. The jackpot callouts are only serviceable. And callouts are some of the most important elements of a pinball game.

I'm not hating on this game. I liked what I saw. But, again... They got a good ways to go. And I hope they get there.

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

Anything over the turd that is Hobbit

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Anything over the turd that is Hobbit

Virtually every pin ever made has some people that love it and some people that hate it. Some people that think it’s the best game ever, and some who think it’s only ok and some that think it’s the worst ever. That’s true with every pin. I’m so sick of this pin hating. It’s just a game it’s supposed to be pure fun. The whole point of different pins is variety. Hobbit is super deep. Some people love that. Just pick a pin that you like easy peasy and don’t knock everything you don’t like. Different strokes.

#2713 4 years ago

Just bring back DMDs, make them doublesized and do fancy pixel art. Stern is about 10 years behind in animations for these giant screens. This is Aerosmith levels of bad art with the tubes and the heads. At least they didn't make a 3d model of Elvira like the Lily travesty in Munsters!

#2714 4 years ago

I think the game will be great overall (eventually), but that stream did no favors.

#2715 4 years ago

I’ve been trolling this site for years. At least 7 or 8. I’ve always wanted a pinball machine. I finally said screw it im getting one. So I got Batman 66 2 months back nib. Great game. Love it. Games are expensive. I just wanted some feed back about a game that’s got 2800 plays. Like what kinda mechanical problems are prone to that title. Some people who post on here are just ridiculous. Why even post “this looks lame” or what ever you people post. I’ve kept my mouth shut on this site for years. Tonight was the first time I ever posted anything. And I probably won’t say shit for another few years. Learn when to shut up!!! And let other people have fun.

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Virtually every pin ever made has some people that love it and some people that hate it. Some people that think it’s the best game ever, and some who think it’s only ok and some that think it’s the worst ever. That’s true with every pin. I’m so sick of this pin hating. It’s just a game it’s supposed to be pure fun. The whole point of different pins is variety. Hobbit is super deep. Some people love that. Just pick a pin that you like easy peasy and don’t knock everything you don’t like. Different strokes.

You are the hero that Pinside needs but maybe not the hero Pinside deserves.

#2717 4 years ago

Lyman will program and make this game epic.
Post positive feedback.

#2718 4 years ago

Take my money I’m in!

#2719 4 years ago

As usual, Lyman will save the game. His programming and attention to detail are off the charts. Artwork looked better than the photos showed so I'll happily admit to that.

I thought the video clips were pretty well done and integrated into the game well. Dunno how you would "program more callouts" into the game as it appeared all of Elvira's callouts were videos. Maybe there are extras that didn't get used so far...?

My verdict: no way for nearly $8000. You're getting a Premium at an LE price. Totally not worth it to me. I'd buy a 2 or 3 pin combination of Shadow/Congo/DM/RS/NGG have way more fun and still money left over (2 pin combos).

#2720 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

I’ve been trolling this site for years. At least 7 or 8. I’ve always wanted a pinball machine. I finally said screw it im getting one. So I got Batman 66 2 months back nib. Great game. Love it. Games are expensive. I just wanted some feed back about a game that’s got 2800 plays. Like what kinda mechanical problems are prone to that title. Some people who post on here are just ridiculous. Why even post “this looks lame” or what ever you people post. I’ve kept my mouth shut on this site for years. Tonight was the first time I ever posted anything. And I probably won’t say shit for another few years. Learn when to shut up!!! And let other people have fun.

Go check out the hobbit owners thread , I love it but lots of people don't , that's just the way it goes .

#2721 4 years ago

Well said.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:Anything but Hobbit

#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Just bring back DMDs, make them doublesized and do fancy pixel art. Stern is about 10 years behind in animations for these giant screens. This is Aerosmith levels of bad art with the tubes and the heads. At least they didn't make a 3d model of Elvira like the Lily travesty in Munsters!

100 Percent agree with you!! It's like playing a game on my Playstation 1 and then hooking it up to the 55 inch tv..... I would have been all over this with a normal DMD and clever animation

#2723 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

The CGC extra size color DMD is great have it on my AFMR.

#2724 4 years ago

I just watched most of the DeadFlip video. I have to say, I had high hopes for this machine, but some of the stuff on the video screen left me disappointed. However, I there was some stuff I liked, so I'll start with that.

The good:
Elvira looks fantastic. I hope there is a lot more of her on screen as the game goes on, with more callouts that pop up during play rather than just the intros. You know, like in her show.

The return of the voice from Scared Stiff is very welcome, it helps tie the game with the previous one. Again though, it feels like there should be more. I feel like he could have been incorporated better into the action though, like Elvira's butler or something. "Please step into the dining room..." that sort of thing.

Some of the video animations are great. The hot-rod animation, the zoom through the hallway, the animated car-goils all look super.

The bad:
Those floating Deadheads look like web gifs from the late 1990s -- but this is 2019. They remind me of those bouncing screensaver images you used to see, and are about as entertaining. When the Deadheads appear, a player should think: "Awesome, Deadheads! Which one will I get? They are so funny!" But these are just annoying, and embarrassing. Can they be fixed? Are they 3-d renders, so the heads can turn? I think the problem is that they don't have real expressions that tie into the action, just random mouth and eye movements, so they look cheap and fake. When the head floats to the left, it should turn to the left first. Then it turns forward to look at the viewer, moves closer, and makes a funny face and says his line. Then turns and zooms back (further away). Repeat. Stern needed a real animator for these, they were important.

Others have said it, and I have to agree: those inner-tube animations don't match the style of the rest of the stuff on the screen, like a Super Nintendo graphic popping up in a modern game. Please, Stern, please please please change them to something spooky, that matches the art style of the rest, as soon as possible.

As of now, I'll be waiting to see if any of this stuff improves with updates. I suspect it will take time, Stern probably hires out all of the on-screen digital stuff, so you don't really know if something is going to work until it is completed - then to fix it, you have to get the freelancer or company to go back to the drawing board, and that adds time and expense. i think this can eventually be a solid game, but it needs some more effort on the details.

Hopefully this famous quote from "Teenagers From Outer Space" will eventually make an appearance, Perhaps when the ball is drained during the Teenagers mode:

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Except Ghostbusters which everyone agrees is the worst machine ever made

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

I’ve been trolling this site for years. At least 7 or 8. I’ve always wanted a pinball machine. I finally said screw it im getting one. So I got Batman 66 2 months back nib. Great game. Love it. Games are expensive. I just wanted some feed back about a game that’s got 2800 plays. Like what kinda mechanical problems are prone to that title. Some people who post on here are just ridiculous. Why even post “this looks lame” or what ever you people post. I’ve kept my mouth shut on this site for years. Tonight was the first time I ever posted anything. And I probably won’t say anything for another few years. Learn when to shut up!!! And let other people have fun.

It is unfortunate that some people are so curt. Pay no mind to them.

Now to answer your question: Elvira is a game that will only get better over time and will maintain it’s value. Hobbit won’t get any better than it is now and unless you like lots of Multi Balls, would be best avoided. Unless you’re really into the Hobbit series of course. There is not a lot of ball interaction with toys on that machine and is still puzzling why it is even a wide body. Also, JJP games have numerous mechanical problems you need to be concerned about to be honest. 2800 plays versus a new game? Take the new game everytime. It has a warranty for one.

Elvira has a better game flow and more toys that interact with the ball. Hobbit does not have any really outstanding ball interaction or toys and have plunged 30% or more in value. Elvira will or should maintain near what you pay for it, within $500 or so, because Lyman will increase the desirability of the machine through code. It shoots well, with plenty to hit and the campiness of the theme is right on target with Elvira. Even the graphics fit the campy motif of Elvira. Some say the graphics look to be from the 80’s or 90’s, but Elvira is from that same era, so they’re right on target again. Art is always subjective and what has been done so far, will only get better as the code advances.

#2727 4 years ago

Just watched the stream.... um.... uhh.... like..... I wish they would have waited for the game to be further developed, you know....

#2728 4 years ago

I liked the first werewolf movie mission where it was about making shots to change form, then another shot to attack. I thought that looked fun! I only saw 2 missions during the stream, did anyone make it to a third?

Rob

#2729 4 years ago

My wallet breathed a sigh of relief tonight.

"The modes are linear for presentation purposes." More like "Code is unfinished and we're rushing for Halloween."

Day 1 patch is lit.

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I wish they would have waited for the game to be further developed, you know....

It's had over 2 years in the oven .....

#2731 4 years ago

So happy I pulled out of my LE spot after watching DeadFlip stream will stick with my MBLE R NIB $2500 less and has a great topper also no playfield issues

#2732 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It's had over 2 years in the oven .....

And the code isn’t finished - their words, not mine. They also had one of the gargoyles hitting the glass and not registering hits so they couldn’t get into one of the modes.

#2733 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

And the code isn’t finished - their words, not mine. They also had one of the gargoyles hitting the glass and not registering hits so they couldn’t get into one of the modes.

I had noticed a lot more issues than just the Gargoyles hitting the glass ,also think the Haunted House could be a nightmare for owners down the track .

#2734 4 years ago

Looks like a lot of shots I believe indicated 8 when most has 7. I love the calls outs in Maiden (which has a ton of shots but hardly any toys,etc.) and it plays fast wishing for this game to have the same. I hope there is way more humor (not so friendly safe as appears now) from Elvira and the voice of the Dracula guy, so far seems repetitive on call outs. I would like to imagine Elvira had to do a ton of quotes and Tim the Dracula voice as well which should be used throughout the game. Also, I hoped Stern/Elvira recorded a few different types of intros to each of the modes after the movie clip has been played. I will withhold full judgement until I play but have really been looking forward to this game for so long and hoping it’s a hit not a let down. Also curious to try the new Jurassic Park which looks great.

#2735 4 years ago

Sorry -- But I wanted to add this plug in here for my party event that is in about 3 weeks. I am posting late so I am trying to give it some exposure for those that are able to stop by and enjoy some great pinball / food and drinks -- All Free and tons of fun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/3rd-annual-richie-wrench-pinball-party-2019

Thanks for letting me post here.

#2736 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:And the code isn’t finished - their words, not mine. They also had one of the gargoyles hitting the glass and not registering hits so they couldn’t get into one of the modes.

Yeh, unusual. But seems like it was rushed.

#2737 4 years ago

It looks fun! While I'm not a fan of the pool floats and floating heads, I rarely look at the video screen while I play so not a big deal to me. Watching someone else play, the floating deadheads are turrible. I love everything else and can't wait to see more. Still want a premium...

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, unusual. But seems like it was rushed.

It does seem that way.

I’m not going to own this one but I would like play it.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I’m sure gargoyles hitting the glass was intentional. Nordman designed Whitewater’s left ramp return specifically so the ball would hit the glass.

#2740 4 years ago

I like what I saw. Just watched it and am surprised there are so many negative comments around here... well that's what it is. Love the video implementation combined with the graphics. The floating heads look great as well... and they shot original video which is also unique. The lightshow seems to be way more interesting then let's say JP. Many shots and ways the ball can disappear. I think they didn't mention the many ways the house can divert the ball. Left and right. It can catch the ball (when a mode starts). It has a cellar which I think leads to a subway (correct me if I am wrong). And once in the stream you could see that the ball sneaked into the back of the house and was fired through the cellar towards the flippers. So all of that from one shot is pretty cool I think.

Yes it seemed like the code was very raw. They stopped before the 2nd Wizard Mode. And we only saw the same 3 modes over and over again. So I hope this is going to be better once the modes are not in the same order all the time.

#2741 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m sure gargoyles hitting the glass was intentional. Nordman designed Whitewater’s left ramp return specifically so the ball would hit the glass.

What I gathered from the video is that the gargoyle needs to extend all the way to register a hit. Lyman was saying that one of the wizard modes wasn’t starting because the gargoyle hit wasn’t registering due to contact with the glass - 1h:15m of the stream.

#2742 4 years ago

For me (very big Elvira fan, look at my picture at my name, that is my own Elvira VPIN) I really do not like Stern cheapening out this much. Elvira deserves to have wireforms, not those ugly plastic things. That is also the reason I don't have my TWD LE anymore, I just do not like them.

For the kind of money that Stern is asking it is embarrasing to see this kind of bean counting. Also the two flipper layout just turns me off. It looks like a nice game but very sadly a pass for me. The floating heads make that decision much easier luckily.

#2743 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My frogs hit the glass in Scared Stiff and everyone thinks it’s the best thing in the world the first time they play. They can easily be adjusted to not hit the glass or hit the glass so anyone can change them the way they like.

#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

My frogs hit the glass in Scared Stiff and everyone thinks it’s the best thing in the world the first time they play. They can easily be adjusted to not hit the glass or hit the glass so anyone can change them the way they like.

The point was that even after two years the pin seems rushed. Bugs in the mechs and incomplete code - the end of ball bonuses weren’t even coded.

Charging what they’re charging, I would expect a ‘first look’ stream to show a very well sorted pin. Lyman was even taking notes in the background (??).

Overall, the stream left me lacking confidence in being an early owner.... I’m out.

#2745 4 years ago

I miss
'more elvira'
'lightshows ' --> didn't see a single one
a better match animation
more callouts
better integration between the two voices
end of ball bonus count
mode end totals
deadheads are boring
and my biggest problem is to play the old horror movies scenes without seeing elvira poping up below in a text balloon style commenting how bad the movie scene is/was

I expected more but it's better for my savings

#2746 4 years ago

Just watched the stream, thanks to Jack Danger on Dead Flip. It looks like a fun game, it brought a smile to my face quite a few times. Good shot layout, plenty of flow and some awesome lighting. I passed on my LE reservation due to the ridiculous price gouge, I mean price tag. But I would like to own this game one day. It will only get better as the code develops and more callouts are added.

#2747 4 years ago

I dunno..... I’m probably a negative Nancy because I hate the price structure so much. The stream is tl/dw.... does the game have a camera? Like, do the players become deadheads? THAT would make the game so much more appealing for an $8000 price tag.

Sorry but I can’t get over the price, when the premium flat out looks like a pro model. If you guys like being gouged, that’s on you. I’ll reserve full judgement until I play it.

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Charging what they’re charging, I would expect a ‘first look’ stream to show a very well sorted pin. Lyman was even taking notes in the background (??).

Why would you expect anything better? Why should Stern do more? Is it too sell more games? Well they've done that already with what appears to be half baked efforts.

This hobby is hilarious in that people already bought the super expensive version without even seeing the game.

We don't deserve anything better until that stops happening. I know if I was Stern I would just continue laughing at the dummies who already paid in full 15k. And if I'm a distributor I'm laughing as well.

#2749 4 years ago

I went though the “I need an LE” phase when it was announced and talked myself into a premium “down the road”. I am happy I talked myself into the “down the road” justification. Prices are way to high. I just picked up an Oktoberfest and for what I get out of that machine vs. price - I’ll keep looking at what American is doing. Love your games Stern, but am sitting on the sidelines right now.

#2750 4 years ago

All in all I thought it was great, but the floating head was distracting and I didn't care for that at all, the inner tubes also seemed out of place, animation didn't fit with the other animations. For the most part though I thought the game looks great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

9,000 (Firm)
$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

10,000 (Firm)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 12.95
11,855 (OBO)
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/55?hl=obed_marsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.