pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 79.
#2451 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Costs more than my house... Or rather what I bought my house for... However, I view my house as a place to store my stuff. Most important of which is my pins. My friends all joke with me that I could have fully paid off my house by now if I didn't own any pinball.
Maybe they are right... But, then I wouldnt have any pins to play in my house and life is just too short, not to enjoy the things you love. No matter what they cost.

Your house cost less than $7k and you're still paying a bank for it?

#2452 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

My house costs less than the 100k car tires man.
I wish my house cost than 7k. And also I wish this pin cost less than 7k... With tax and setup I'm paying over 10k.

#2453 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

My house costs less than the 100k car tires man.
I wish my house cost than 7k. And also I wish this pin cost less than 7k... With tax and setup I'm paying over 10k.

Ah gotcha....sorry, reading fail on my part.

#2454 4 years ago

There have been two camps in pinball for some time now (Bally / Williams and Stern). You can like them both (or not) but everybody has a favorite. For me it is Bally. I think a lot of the Stern fans are disappoint while the Bally / Williams fans are happy with this release. This title is a carryover from Bally. It has tons of references to the old Elvira games and pays homage to there past designs. There are no drop targets in Party Monsters or Scared Stiff so please quit complaining about the lack or drop targets Stern fans. What the games does have is a real "subway" which is very Bally / Williams. This really is a Stern made Bally type pinball and I think it is going to do very well once people get their hands on it.

#2455 4 years ago

Yes, but it would still be better with drop targets.

#2456 4 years ago

Elvira's junk in the trunk and the ramps were "changed" from Denis' original design. Denis would never design ramps like this!

#2457 4 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

so many haters on here. sheesh.
I like the big open playfield with the ramps to the side. it's going to be beautiful to get a multiball and hit all those Jackpots over and over without anything in the way. an Elvira game that we can put Billions of points on. you unhealthy haters need to be happy that we're getting a new pin, and that it's not another sloppy children's franchise.

You don’t have to agree with my opinion but my having one that differs from yours does not make me a hater .

#2458 4 years ago

I agree the plastic ramps are pretty boring. You go from the cool boney beast one of a kind ramp to this? I’m sure it will play awesome tho!

#2459 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

... There are no drop targets in Party Monsters or Scared Stiff ...

There are drop targets in EATPM: the JAM targets.

#2460 4 years ago

I don't care for the ramp design much either but having any kind of cross over ramps covering that cool house of horrors would be a mistake.

#2461 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Elvira's junk in the trunk and the ramps were "changed" from Denis' original design. Denis would never design ramps like this!

Is this a fact you have some evidence of or just speculation on your part?

#2462 4 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

so many haters on here. sheesh.
I like the big open playfield with the ramps to the side. it's going to be beautiful to get a multiball and hit all those Jackpots over and over without anything in the way. an Elvira game that we can put Billions of points on. you unhealthy haters need to be happy that we're getting a new pin, and that it's not another sloppy children's franchise.

I totally agree with you 100% stop whining or go buy a JP2 with the amazing cereal box toy car with a wonky ball attached to it.

I’m not surprised the SLE sold out so quick either, The horror memorabilia collectors alone probably snapped half up, there weren’t made just for pinball enthusiasts. Elvira has some die hard fans and she knows her fan base.

#2463 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

There are drop targets in EATPM: the JAM targets.

You're correct. My bad (I even own the game). I really don't see much difference between stationary or drop targets - same end result. It doesn't make or break the game for me. . The new one does have the one. It is kind of hidden away.

#2464 4 years ago

The plastic ramps DID allow them to do the cool filmstrip images underneath.

I suppose they could have transitioned to metal for the return portion on either side, but what do you want for 8 grand.

Still gonna play the shit out of it at expo.

#2465 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I don't care for the ramp design much either but having any kind of cross over ramps covering that cool house of horrors would be a mistake.

True. But I wish they were wire forms.

#2466 4 years ago

The game looks great and has the dream team of pinball on it. Looking forward to owning one after saving a few bucks.

#2467 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

fact, for cost and reliability. This game looks pretty damn fun and I for one love Dennis' pinball designs...top notch and these ramps just aren't up to his creativity.

#2468 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yes, but it would still be better with drop targets.

I dunno, sometimes play is better without drop targets. For example I currently own a premium AC/DC that has drop targets but I used to own the pro model that didn't, and the pro model played faster partly because of how fast the ball rebounded off those targets. Not sure how it will play out in Elvira, but maybe it will also speed up the target rebounds.

#2469 4 years ago

Just waiting for LE announcement
Instead of 400 going to be 600

F..ng thing sold out in a heartbeat ??

#2470 4 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Well found one but $800 in sales tax
With that I’m out !!

#2471 4 years ago

I bought a LE.
Game looks great to me.

It will be on location soon.
We will see what the pinball fans around me think of it soon enough.

Sure is pricey here in Canada for it though.
A lot more than JPLE I just bought.
600.00 US. At least I only have 5% GST here in Alberta.

#2472 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I own a house that my father paid $13000 for 40 years ago.

#2473 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Quoted from bobukcat:

There is some truth to this.

EHOH translite.pngEHOH translite.png
#2474 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

fact, for cost and reliability. This game looks pretty damn fun and I for one love Dennis' pinball designs...top notch and these ramps just aren't up to his creativity.

They ain’t whitewater ramps for sure Billy

#2475 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Costs more than my house... Or rather what I bought my house for... However, I view my house as a place to store my stuff. Most important of which is my pins. My friends all joke with me that I could have fully paid off my house by now if I didn't own any pinball.
Maybe they are right... But, then I wouldnt have any pins to play in my house and life is just too short, not to enjoy the things you love. No matter what they cost.

I agree. I always tell my wife, we still have most of the money I spend on this hobby, except the money is shaped like pinball machines instead of numbers on a bank account. I could sell my collection and have more money in the bank, but would I enjoy that more? No doubt some people would feel better having more cash in the bank. I prefer to collect pins and engage with people in the hobby. And put purple lights all over my games! Oh geez. Ignore that last part.

#2476 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

And put purple lights all over my games!

GAY

#2477 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I agree. I always tell my wife, we still have most of the money I spend on this hobby, except the money is shaped like pinball machines instead of numbers on a bank account. I could sell my collection and have more money in the bank, but would I enjoy that more? No doubt some people would feel better having more cash in the bank. I prefer to collect pins and engage with people in the hobby. And put purple lights all over my games! Oh geez. Ignore that last part.

Amen

#2479 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I agree. I always tell my wife, we still have most of the money I spend on this hobby, except the money is shaped like pinball machines instead of numbers on a bank account.

It’s called portfolio diversification

#2480 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

WoZ sure looked loaded with stuff when it came out. And the initial WoZ price wasn't as high as it is now.
JJP took stuff out of the YBR edition and still charged more. Is everybody okay with that? Costs do go up.
More than one Pinside poster has said that the mechs on Elvira3 look like something WMS was doing in the '90s.

$6500 was a hell of a lot back in 2011

#2481 4 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

Drops woulda been nice but to me the bigger surprise is the way they chinsed out on the ramps - plastic instead of wire form and not even stylish or imaginative plastic ramps - just a ball return lane . Whoooo !

This surprised me, too. I’m expecting wire forms to be one of the first “mods”.

#2482 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I dunno, sometimes play is better without drop targets. For example I currently own a premium AC/DC that has drop targets but I used to own the pro model that didn't, and the pro model played faster partly because of how fast the ball rebounded off those targets. Not sure how it will play out in Elvira, but maybe it will also speed up the target rebounds.

Drop targets are very satisfying to hit. Even with a slower rebound, they are far cooler than stationary targets. At least one 3 row bank of drop targets should be a minimum in every new game.

#2483 4 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Be careful, some Stern loyalists here will say that they prefer full plastic ramps over metal ramps with habitrails as they speed up the ball more. Probably the same people saying that toys and features only slow a game down. Better yet "those interactive features will only break" lol. What are we paying $6k - $10k for again? It needs to be more than buttery smooth orbits (literally nothing), and plastic ramps and figurines (cheap).

#2484 4 years ago

Too many posts to read, so is there a list of the callouts yet?

#2485 4 years ago

I am pretty sure William's had a much bigger budget back in the day as they sold way more games than stern.

#2486 4 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

I'm actually curious to hear why they went with plastic over wireforms. I don't know much about pinball. But, to me wireforms would be easier to replace and should last longer.
I also heard that the ball travels at different speeds depending on the material, so certain designers choose plastic over wireforms for how they feel the game should play.
So I'm curious if it is a cosmetic choice, a play style choice, or a cost cutting measure. But, I don't think it is a cost cutting measure. As they knew the pin was going to be more expensive than their normal pins.

Also the lack of drops. I think those might have been always meant to be targets. Again its a different type of gameplay. Maybe they thought that having the one drop at the house would be best and the rest to be targets...

I don't know. I'm just putting it out there, that maybe it isn't cost cutting. It could be. But, I would like to hear from the designer his thoughts. He's not with Stern anymore, and that could loosen him up to be a bit more honest with his thoughts on the final product. I am very interesting to see how this game plays.

Also really interested in seeing the custom clips. This could be a special game. Hell lets give them the benefit of the doubt. As each of the past Elvira games have been damn good pinball machines.
If you guys live in IL you guys should check out Galloping Ghost Pinball. It's in brookfield. I go there once a month, and they have both Elvira games. And both are in very good working order(sometimes Scared Stiff acts up, but they are good with fixing it.).

#2487 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I'm actually curious to hear why they went with plastic over wireforms. I don't know much about pinball. But, to me wireforms would be easier to replace and should last longer.
I also heard that the ball travels at different speeds depending on the material, so certain designers choose plastic over wireforms for how they feel the game should play.
So I'm curious if it is a cosmetic choice, a play style choice, or a cost cutting measure. But, I don't think it is a cost cutting measure. As they knew the pin was going to be more expensive than their normal pins.
Also the lack of drops. I think those might have been always meant to be targets. Again its a different type of gameplay. Maybe they thought that having the one drop at the house would be best and the rest to be targets...
I don't know. I'm just putting it out there, that maybe it isn't cost cutting. It could be. But, I would like to hear from the designer his thoughts. He's not with Stern anymore, and that could loosen him up to be a bit more honest with his thoughts on the final product. I am very interesting to see how this game plays.
Also really interested in seeing the custom clips. This could be a special game. Hell lets give them the benefit of the doubt. As each of the past Elvira games have been damn good pinball machines.
If you guys live in IL you guys should check out Galloping Ghost Pinball. It's in brookfield. I go there once a month, and they have both Elvira games. And both are in very good working order(sometimes Scared Stiff acts up, but they are good with fixing it.).

Stern will save a penny anyway they can. Including plastic ramps on a $15,000 game!

#2488 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stern will save a penny anyway they can. Including plastic ramps on a $15,000 game!

Won't disagree. It seems like a very odd choice to me. Also, I think wireforms will let you see more of the playfield. So in a sense I think the plastic ramps make the space seem smaller. So its odd. But, again Would like to hear and see if that was always the design. While the game looks awesome, the ramps look very tame to me.
I'm not saying they are, or will be.
But, coming from Nord. The guy has like some of the all time great ramps ever in a pinball.
Party Monsters ramps are super fun. And they are plastic.
Boney beast is a great ramp and the spider ramp is also a good fun one to shoot. Love the stiff in the coffin MB jackpot. Great to get in a groove and just loop ramps over and over.
And whitewater has one heck of a ramp. Plastic again. And the first time I hit that ramp, the real long one at the left. I got a big s@#@ eating grin on my face. One of the best ramps I've ever hit.
I think Nord likes plastic ramps. But, again who knows... I'd just like to hear his thoughts. But these to me seem a bit lame with how they just are there and to the side. No corkscew bends. Rather a bit blah... But, if the game has flow and plays great. Then it won't matter.

#2489 4 years ago

Nordman has always been a fan of plastic ramps. Wireform on this game would be pointless and not sure it would look better. Especially with the trap door on the left.

#2490 4 years ago

Plastic ramps are fine imo.... was just expecting more elaborate ramps. I mean look at all the pins he has designed and they all have at least one neat/oddball ramp.

#2491 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Plastic ramps are fine imo.... was just expecting more elaborate ramps. I mean look at all the pins he has designed and they all have at least one neat/oddball ramp.

Yeh, the ramps themselves on this are very vanilla compared to his other games. Indy 500, Whitewater and Scared Stiff for example.

#2492 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, the ramps themselves on this are very vanilla compared to his other games. Indy 500, Whitewater and Scared Stiff for example.

Demo man, potc , party monsters..... yep he has made some cool ramps

#2493 4 years ago

Mod will be made I’m sure to put bones
Over the left ramp

#2494 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It absolutely amazes me. I just can't even begin to understand how the SLEs are already gone. I've been viewing this thread bc I thought certainly Stern has gotten too far with this pricing. No way people would actually pay this price and get extras like a piece of couch.
Well I was wrong haha. Bar continues to sink regarding customer expectations vs cost while continues to increase for how many suckers we have. I don't blame Stern one bit either. Wow.

One lucky owner might get a pube included with the cooch couch swatch

#2495 4 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I hope it doesn’t happen. It diluted the value of the LE for those who (were lucky) and got in early. It happened to me on Munsters LE when they suddenly increased production by 100.

#2496 4 years ago

I’m hoping some creative modder will create some wire form ramps.

#2497 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Drop targets are very satisfying to hit. Even with a slower rebound, they are far cooler than stationary targets. At least one 3 row bank of drop targets should be a minimum in every new game.

Not for me. They kill ball momentum and slow things down. No drops on Nordman's Scared Stiff or White Water. Guess what? Both are great games. I never hear them criticized because they have no drops. For other reasons maybe but not lack of drops...

#2498 4 years ago

Agreed, drop targets also show achievement progression better during game play. I remember drop targets were a big selling point on Tron LE vs the non-drops on the Pro when I bought my LE.

#2499 4 years ago

I’m curious about the lift ramp going into the house. In the video, you can see an image of a creature, but later all you see is some creature’s eyes looking thru the steps. Wondering if that is some type of lighting effect that shows up when lit from below/above or something?

I can’t remember feeling so giddy with excitement over a release of a pin. LOVE horror, Halloween, comedy and what Elvira does for the holiday, plus the homages to past Elvira pins put in this pin. Sold my SS pin recently to make room for this one. Tough decision (really tough), because I loved the play and campiness of that pin, but Stern took all the aspects and put them in this baby. Still, I’m going to miss the boney beast, crate, and I LOVED the left shot to load the ball into the stiff in the coffin toy. What a great multiball experience!

I can’t help but smile from ear to ear thinking about shooting at the (3) different shots of the haunted mansion, kinda like the enjoyment I get from shooting the castle in MM. Years ago I was looking to buy the Gotlieb Haunted House pin just because I loved the idea of exploring a haunted house experience in a pinball game. I even bought the back glass (best one in the business IMO), but I never purchased the pin so I sold it to a fellow pinsider who did have one and needed a mint back glass for his. Plus, this pin is loaded with good, interactive toys.

It’s been a looong time since I bought a LE, just because I don’t think most of the time it justifies the price. With this one, I really don’t mind forking over the extra cabbage and it will sit well with the only other LE I still have in my collection (STLE). Sorry for the long rant, sooo......Unpleasant dreams!

#2500 4 years ago

I think they are using glow in the dark paint with a blacklight

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/50?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.