pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 79.
#2301 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Correct! Turns out if you lead a horse to water, you CAN make him think.

Look in the mirror and say, i dont know and walk away.

#2302 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not saying that I like the price but it would be a better pill to swallow if Stern wold give something little like extended side rail armor like they have done on previous premium like ST premium color plated even.

I'm pretty satisfied with the BOM...not even getting heartburn over plastic ramps. The two aspects where I felt they took the cheap route, is no multi bank drop targets and no topper. Has any previous Stern premium or LE been offered without a topper?

#2303 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Has any previous Stern premium or LE been offered without a topper?

Star Wars?

#2304 4 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Now this is typical "banter" thread
Used to like being on here a LOT more yrs ago. Was enjoying this thread for awhile, because i'd love this title but....

I agree. I haven't been on Pinside for a while. I remember why now. So much negativity.

#2305 4 years ago

Yes. And GOT. And Aerosmith. And Beatles. And Ghostbusters. And KISS. And Walking Dead.

I think pretty much all of them. Toppers are just another garby cash garb!

#2306 4 years ago

So, does Stern have a corner on the Yellow Flipper market? Seems there are some other color choices that would better complement the playfield colors.

#2307 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes. And GOT. And Ghostbusters. And KISS. And Walking Dead.

Oh I just meant not available at all ever; I think that;s what he meant. You've had to pay for that up top shit show for a long time.

#2308 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Do you watch your black and white TV cause those newfangled color ones and shows are just not the same.

I don't watch TV while I'm playing pinball. Or look up at the display very often. But when I do, I appreciate the creativity inspired by the constraints of dot animation. Same reason I enjoy classic cartoons more than DreamWorks CGI. I'll take TWD's display over GOTG every day and twice on Sunday.

Also, DMD score fonts were huge! Trying reading your score on a Spike2 or JJP game from more than a couple feet away.

Mostly I'd just rather have the money in my pocket than tied up in graphics. Your mileage may vary.

#2309 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh I just meant not available at all ever; I think that;s what he meant. You've had to pay for that up top shit show for a long time.

Thanks for the defense, but no, Levi was correct...I'm an idiot. Well, actually just havent paid attention to stern games since SM and LOTR. Didnt realize that all the toppers were optional now. I dont have them on any of my games, but also dont have any sterns but acdc so was truly ignorant. Carry on.

#2310 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

It takes a team to do graphics now.

Quoted from yancy:

Personally I would like to go back to DMD and subtract the cost of custom HD animation from every game.

in lieu of some graphics, stern decided to set up a studio and film live action scenes featuring cassandra, which could be more cost effective, more beneficial/innovative to the game experience, and take less time to complete.

what a great idea - stern production studios creating their own LCD footage. just think, for JP2 they could have gone to the nearest botanical garden, have zach don the t-rex outfit, then shoot one of the brass driving by in their humvee while picking up a distressed employee. voila.

gardens01 (resized).jpggardens01 (resized).jpg
#2311 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I don't know that any premium has ever included a topper. I am not that much about toppers anyway so I'd rather spend the money on shaker and maybe invisible glass.

I could buy an LE but have made it my goal to never buy anything without first playing it. So it's gong to be a premium if I do get one. I think in the past Stern made a good number of LE for ST 799 iirc and so I was able to get my hands on an LE after they were out for a bit. I bought AFM LE what was a year after release and there were still LEs to be found. I think Stern actually puts so little into these new LEs that I'm not too hurt to miss out completely and get a premium if it turns out that I want one. As I said it's not actually the money that is preventing me from buying an LE it's that they sell out before I get a chance to play.

#2312 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

in lieu of some graphics, stern decided to set up a studio and film live action scenes featuring cassandra, which could be more cost effective, more beneficial/innovative to the game experience, and take less time to complete.

Ding Ding we have a winner!!
So how many other pins have actors do custom filming for the pinball machine??
This is huge!! and a first of it's kind. Probably not cheap either. I hate the price also but stuff like this will set the game apart from the rest.

#2313 4 years ago

I’d be a little concerned with possible playfield issues after a lot of people mentioning that the LE’s have been complete for awhile now. I wonder what (if any) clear coat or chipping issues might exist.

But honestly, I think HUO is so much better money spent than the NIB experience. That also helps evaluate exactly what you’re buying.

#2314 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

what a great idea - stern production studios creating their own LCD footage. just think, for JP2 they could have gone to the nearest botanical garden, have zach don the t-rex outfit, then shoot one of the brass driving by in their humvee while picking up a distressed employee. voila.[quoted image]

The question is which Zach?

#2315 4 years ago

Looks like these are ALL public domain movies from the 2010 season of Elvira's Movie Macabre.

Screenshot (49) (resized).pngScreenshot (49) (resized).png
#2316 4 years ago

'Cause you being wrong hurts.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Your job is to sell games. Good for you. [...] You’ll never be honest about games from a player or buyers perspective.

Zach rides the Hype Train like most of us and did so before he got a retailer.
Since he got a retailer he even stopped reviewing games because of his integrity.
He even tells from time to time publicy in the TWIP podcast, wich games are selling not too well, wich a pure businessman wouldn't do.

Generally you're right with a retailer being overly positive. Like Todd from TNT.
I love him but of course he wouldn't say bad things about a game he is going to sell.
We all know that (I think) so it's totally fine.

But that won't apply to Zach.

#2317 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Ding Ding we have a winner!!
So how many other pins have actors do custom filming for the pinball machine??
This is huge!! and a first of it's kind. Probably not cheap either. I hate the price also but stuff like this will set the game apart from the rest.

Did they also go back in time to film her too when she was actually doing Elvira seriously?

#2318 4 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Looks like these are ALL public domain movies from the 2010 season of Elvira's Movie Macabre.[quoted image]

Poor Lyman.

All these video clips. B66 all over again! XD

#2319 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I’d be a little concerned with possible playfield issues after a lot of people mentioning that the LE’s have been complete for awhile now. I wonder what (if any) clear coat or chipping issues might exist.
But honestly, I think HUO is so much better money spent than the NIB experience. That also helps evaluate exactly what you’re buying.

Our distro told us yesterday that 3ElviraLE would start to be made at the end of next week, available for shipping 15th October.

#2320 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Like Todd from TNT.

Come on now...Kids go crazy for it....

#2321 4 years ago

Was this posted yet? - Reads fun.

elvira-haunting-instruction (resized).jpgelvira-haunting-instruction (resized).jpg
#2322 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Did they also go back in time to film her too when she was actually doing Elvira seriously?

I too think it would be great to have some of Elvira’s older original footage but it might not be such a good idea to have both the young and older Elvira together to be scrutinize. Who knows what they have done but I’m sure it must but up to Cassandra’s standards.

#2323 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Correct! Turns out if you lead a horse to water, you CAN make him think.

He’s a quick learner

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

So, does Stern have a corner on the Yellow Flipper market? Seems there are some other color choices that would better complement the playfield colors.

You can still get the boney finger flippers that were originally for Scared Stiff. I put them on my Monster Bash...if I got this game, I'd put them on it!

#2325 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Elvira should be topless.

#2326 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Toppers are just another garby cash garb!

Exactly.
Best topper yet...
”the money tree.”
0591281B-24BA-41E8-873A-5BFE3B06FF46 (resized).jpeg0591281B-24BA-41E8-873A-5BFE3B06FF46 (resized).jpeg

#2327 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

how long til we see the CE models for 15k with pooling, art chipping, etc.

Apparently from what my distro said, is that all the pooling/chipping issues have been resolved. They even stopped production on the LE's and SLE's to make sure the new pf were good.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Well if you care about LE games I don't the Stern LE is a run of 400 JJP LE 5000 for $200 getting a truly limited run if that's what you like is not so bad

Stern LE run of 400 is ok if they keep it there. They diluted the Munster LE pool when they initially said 500, then later raised production to 600.

#2329 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Our distro told us yesterday that 3ElviraLE would start to be made at the end of next week, available for shipping 15th October.

This actually makes more sense considering people are still waiting on their JP2. The people who heard next week seems unlikely.

#2330 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Stern LE run of 400 is ok if they keep it there. They diluted the Munster LE pool when they initially said 500, then later raised production to 600.

That is a big time BS move when a company adds to a confirmed LE amount. Drops the collectors value big time.

#2331 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Apparently from what my distro said, is that all the pooling/chipping issues have been resolved. They even stopped production on the LE's and SLE's to make sure the new pf were good.

I haven’t heard anyone say the pooling/chipping issues have been resolved; only that Stern said they were. But the distribs I spoke to were unwilling to be specific about what would be done if there was an issue indicating that Stern would have the final say. Coupled with the statement that “Stern considers some pooling to be normal” did little to ease my concern about the clear issue.

#2332 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Movie copyright in the US lasts for 95 years, which easily covers all 26 films in EHOH. It's possible some of them have lapsed due to non-renewal, but I definitely wouldn't assume they're all free.

Elvira (and MST3K) were pretty low cost productions. They had to use mostly public domain films for their shows because they dcouldnt afford to pay any licensing fees to show them.

Here's part of a Casandra Peterson interview from 2011 when she was promotong the new syndicated version of her show:

"The major problem was trying to get the films. Pretty much unless you get public domain films, you can’t afford to do a show like mine. "

"One of the things I like about my show now is that I have total control. I wish there were more films available that I could afford, but what is out there, I get to pick what I like. Unfortunately, syndicators would rather have movies made in color. There’s a lot of black & white films I’d like to have, but they really, really want me to do color and there’s not as many public domain films in color. There just aren’t ‘cause they’re late Sixties and early Seventies and then public domain was no longer."

This also works in Sterns favor because they can also use video clips from these public domain clips in the game without having to pay any royalties to anyone.

#2333 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Generally you're right with a retailer being overly positive. Like Todd from TNT.
I love him but of course he wouldn't say bad things about a game he is going to sell.
We all know that (I think) so it's totally fine.

Actually that is one thing I like about Todd's videos, is the fact that he always finds something that he likes about a machine or a video game... Although, it is rare he does from time to time say a few disparaging things about a pin. Like Firepower II not being as good as firepower.
I own my own comic book production company. Not a big company, its very small and covers a very niche market.
And so I have to write blurbs on all of the almost 150 comic books that I produced and sell. It is rare, but from time to time I have to sell a comic that I personally feel didn't turn out good, or that I don't like. Its thankfully very rare, but it has happened.
When that does happen, I try to focus on the good elements. The things that I like about it. You don't have to tell everybody, everything. I don't ever believe in lying or even stretching the truth. But, to omit the bad elements in your personal review or sales speech, that is just smart. And so play up the positives and be blind to the negatives.
And I feel Todd is the same way in regards to pinball. He'll gloss over the bad stuff of a pin, and then focus on what he likes about it.

And lets all be honest. Given a choice between no pinball or a game on a clunker... I think we'd play at least one game on a clunker. Cos we all love pinball.

#2334 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Actually that is one thing I like about Todd's videos, is the fact that he always finds something that he likes about a machine or a video game... Although, it is rare he does from time to time say a few disparaging things about a pin. Like Firepower II not being as good as firepower.
I own my own comic book production company. Not a big company, its very small and covers a very niche market.
And so I have to write blurbs on all of the almost 150 comic books that I produced and sell. It is rare, but from time to time I have to sell a comic that I personally feel didn't turn out good, or that I don't like. Its thankfully very rare, but it has happened.
When that does happen, I try to focus on the good elements. The things that I like about it. You don't have to tell everybody, everything. I don't ever believe in lying or even stretching the truth. But, to omit the bad elements in your personal review or sales speech, that is just smart. And so play up the positives and be blind to the negatives.
And I feel Todd is the same way in regards to pinball. He'll gloss over the bad stuff of a pin, and then focus on what he likes about it.
And lets all be honest. Given a choice between no pinball or a game on a clunker... I think we'd play at least one game on a clunker. Cos we all love pinball.

Of course. I'm totally with you!

Just wanted to claim that you'd of course can't expect a critical review.

(In addition I might need to send you some comics I made for overseas publishing. )

#2335 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

It has all the stuff it has, was my point. If you want all that stuff, pay for it. If you want it cheaper, which stuff would you like to remove? Personally I would like to go back to DMD and subtract the cost of custom hi-res animation from every game. But it is what it is.
Wasn't trying to imply the game has EVERYthing, because there's no such thing. It's never enough for the peanut gallery.

No I understand what you're saying. Point is they should be providing more at this price point... Much more.

You say what should they remove to get it cheaper? No no... The question we all should be asking is......What should they ADD to justify the price.

And the answer is a lot more.

#2336 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why ouch? Your job is to sell games. Good for you. Whenever Gary Stern was asked what his favorite game was, he answered with whichever one was the newest on the line. Does anyone expect Gary to be an objective game reviewer? Of course not. Same with you. Jack Danger’s newest video about GB referred to the game as “beloved” He’s a Stern employee. You’re a Stern distributor. You’ll never be honest about games from a player or buyers perspective. And that’s fine...as long as everyone understands it is what it is.

See Zach, I told ya you should have given the FG pin a higher rating! Now you got Rarehero on your butt!

#2337 4 years ago

Does the house diverted go to the ramps or orbits (or both)? It looks like orbits from the video, but have been reading ramps.

#2338 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Does the house diverted go to the ramps or orbits (or both)? It looks like orbits from the video, but have been reading ramps.

To the right I think it feeds the pops and to the left its the orbit... But, that is what I think it does... I could be wrong.

#2339 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The ball is sent either to the left orbit or the pop bumpers.

#2340 4 years ago

Man why so harsh on Zach? I love watching SDTM. Everyone knows Zach sells now so only an idiot would not consider that may have some effect on his comments. So what’s to worry about? And didn’t they switch to someone else doing reviews now since Zach started selling? Man this site is way too harsh so often now. Can’t we just have fun and discuss pinball without attacking everyone? If you don’t think Zach can be objective then don’t consider his opinion in your buying decisions. Simple solution. But some people just want to bitch.

This country was 500 times better before social media. Now it seems many people are in a race to the bottom.

#2341 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

The ball is sent either to the left orbit or the pop bumpers.

Yes but on the podcast Stern says it goes to a ramp to return to the flipper.

#2342 4 years ago

I have to say i like how the game looks and stuff but it;s totaly priced kinda pricey for what you get. But again its pinball were some people have endless $$$

#2343 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Oh, I see, the ball rolls over the top of the trunk when down, and is captured by the trunk like a diverter when lit. That's really cool.

Or...it's the Sonic Boom diverter from Doctor Who. :p

I like it, but it's hardly original, per se.

#2344 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The video doesn't support that, but I guess we'll find out for sure Wednesday.

#2346 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If it was Gary just let it slide.

#2347 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I can't wait to play it!

I fell in love with EATPM when I was 16 working at Hurst Bowl. Knew nothing about pinball from 1995 until 2017 when I bought my first machine, an EATPM. Fell in love with SS at Tornado Terry's. I have been waiting for this machine since I found out about it. Said it would be my first NIB purchase, and it is! I am so stoked! Now I just need to find a decent SS.

#2348 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

I fell in love with EATPM when I was 16 working at Hurst Bowl. Knew nothing about pinball from 1995 until 2017 when I bought my first machine, an EATPM. Fell in love with SS at Tornado Terry's. I have been waiting for this machine since I found out about it. Said it would be my first NIB purchase, and it is! I am so stoked! Now I just need to find a decent SS.

Welcome to the club! I think this will be a great game. Cannot wait to have a flip.

#2349 4 years ago

I’m buying an LE. Think it looks insane

#2350 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Movies go Public Domain for a number of reasons, including most famously Night of the Living Dead which has been PD since it was released in 1968.
It's no surprise most of these movies were also featured on MST3K. They didn't have to pay anybody to use them as they are mostly (or all?) public domain.

If I remember correctly “It’s a Wonderful Life” is also one of those stories. One of the major 3 networks was looking to fill air air around the holidays and didn’t want to spend money on producing a show, some staffer saw “It’s a wonderful Life” had lapse and the rest is history. I am sure that someone on here can fill in the details to correct me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/47?hl=moonduckie78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.