pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 79.
#101 7 years ago

Elvira's always fun, Cassandra Peterson herself is a hoot and her general sense of self-agency always prevented Elvira from coming across as sleazy (her general feminist activism and embracing of her status as an LGBT icon doesn't hurt). I'm always down for another campy pin, anyways! Modern pins are so unfunny.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

What was that art you posted earlier?

Just something I found online….

#103 7 years ago

Would I like to see a third Elvira pin? Sure, but I'd rather someone other than Stern make it. Stern creates decent pins on average, but their past track record concerns me. Talk of quality and code issues aside, Stern has never really impressed me with their designs.

Stern has been perfectly comfortable putting out pins that more or less followed the status quo set in the late 90's/early 2000. They suddenly embraced LCD screens after Jersey Jack/Dutch Pinball started making machines with LCD screens installed.

If there is to be another Elvira machine, it needs to be a true modern machine. Something similar to JJ's "Dialed In!" machine has done allowing smartphone interaction. It still just needs simple and straight forward objectives (ala Scared Stiff), but with something new that sets it aside from all the current machines. Maybe some small playfield cameras so it can show highlights of some of the shots from the game you just played.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Probably right about here for me...

I would get in on Elvira 3 after loving SS so much, but this is sooooo much more up my alley... I just hope it's a Powerslave-centric design. Or Somewhere in Time! wow!

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

I think most guys would pray that there wives look that good at 65.

That's what these are for.
th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#106 7 years ago

I've owned EATPM and Scared Stiff. I like the idea of a third, but suspect I won't want to pay for it. If it's north of $7k then pass.

#107 7 years ago

But at $6999.99 you're still in, riiiight?

#108 7 years ago

36th Anniversary Super Collectors Limited Edition, price: how much you got!

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

But at $6999.99 you're still in, riiiight?

If I wanted it badly enough I could liquidate AC/DC to justify. But it would have to be fucking amazing. Not just exist as a theme. Scared Stiff is great! Loved owning it. Would still if I had unlimited space. But it's not like I actually played it much. When you hit the wizard mode twice in one game, and you're just an average player to begin with ... you get tired of it. Just the reality of that game.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If I wanted it badly enough I could liquidate AC/DC to justify. But it would have to be fucking amazing. Not just exist as a theme. Scared Stiff is great! Loved owning it. Would still if I had unlimited space. But it's not like I actually played it much. When you hit the wizard mode twice in one game, and you're just an average player to begin with ... you get tired of it. Just the reality of that game.

Ss is definitely a game that needs to be set up as difficult as possible or it will get old fairly quickly. Have had mine for 3-4 months and have gotten to wizard mode maybe 10 times in 350-400 games and only started it 3-4 times. Also have never came close to starting the spider wheel mb. Game has restored playfield witg completely open outlanes and preset difficulty set to hard.... game is a butt kicker and holds up well in home use this way imo.

#111 7 years ago

If new Elvira is a modern SS I'm in.
If it's like juicy melons or Pabst I'm out.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

If new Elvira is a modern SS I'm in.
If it's like juicy melons or Pabst I'm out.

SS is a pretty simple layout. 2 flippers, 2 ramps, wide open playfield.

This might be a game that needs to be played rather than seen through pics to understand the allure. Elvira and Tim Kitzrow's callouts are half the fun in EATPM and SS.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

There is no need for a new elvira pin. Shes SO outdated and irrelevant for any one iin the 10-30 realm, which is the common age for arcades and barcades, no?

So it's not ok for them to make a game on a very popular spoof horror figure who is in her mid 60's with some the best selling pinball machines of all time, but yet it's perfectly fine to make a pin on a rock band who is just about the same in age if not some being a little older.

68 years (March 26, 1948)
Steven Tyler

66 years (September 10, 1950)
Joe Perry

66 years (June 21, 1950)
Joey Kramer

64 years (February 23, 1952)
Brad Whitford

64 years (February 2, 1952)
Rick Dufay

65 years (December 31, 1951)
Tom Hamilton

70 years (December 23, 1946)
Ray Tabano

62 years (July 5, 1954)
Jimmy Crespo

#114 7 years ago

Pinball makes me feel so young!

#115 7 years ago

It doesn't matter how "relevant" a pinball theme is for young people. A pinball theme is only "relevant" if it sells.

The question is, are there enough older people with disposable income who STILL haven't had enough of the thin, ancient joke that is elvira?

Based upon the strong holding value of her old titles and the wheezing enthusiasm of this thread, id say yes. Yet another Elvira game would probably sell, proving it relevant.

#116 7 years ago

If it's a widebody I'm in!

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

So it's not ok for them to make a game on a very popular spoof horror figure who is in her mid 60's with some the best selling pinball machines of all time, but yet it's perfectly fine to make a pin on a rock band who is just about the same in age if not some being a little older.
68 years (March 26, 1948)
Steven Tyler
66 years (September 10, 1950)
Joe Perry
66 years (June 21, 1950)
Joey Kramer
64 years (February 23, 1952)
Brad Whitford
64 years (February 2, 1952)
Rick Dufay
65 years (December 31, 1951)
Tom Hamilton
70 years (December 23, 1946)
Ray Tabano
62 years (July 5, 1954)
Jimmy Crespo

I DID say ANOTHER.....

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ss is definitely a game that needs to be set up as difficult as possible or it will get old fairly quickly. Have had mine for 3-4 months and have gotten to wizard mode maybe 10 times in 350-400 games and only started it 3-4 times. Also have never came close to starting the spider wheel mb. Game has restored playfield witg completely open outlanes and preset difficulty set to hard.... game is a butt kicker and holds up well in home use this way imo.

Eh, just making a game "hard" doesn't make it more fun though. It's a great theme, and a beautiful package, with the best callouts ever done on a pin. But the rules are very simple, and there's just not much to it after a while. You enjoy it, and then you move on.

Which is fine! It was built to be an arcade game, not something to entertain you for years on end. And if I had space to just collect games I didn't actually play I'd have kept it. But I don't run a museum, so I let it go.

As for the theme, it's not just about OMG ELVIRA AND HER BOOBS, it's about wonderful campy horror, with spooky organs, and funny callouts, flying eyeballs and dripping slime and all the great stuff mixed together. I'm not curious to see a new one because Elivra is on it, I'm curious because the general vibe and theme of that kind of fun horror stuff is really appealing to me. The innuendo is part of the charm, but not the sole attraction.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Eh, just making a game "hard" doesn't make it more fun though. It's a great theme, and a beautiful package, with the best callouts ever done on a pin. But the rules are very simple, and there's just not much to it after a while. You enjoy it, and then you move on.
Which is fine! It was built to be an arcade game, not something to entertain you for years on end. And if I had space to just collect games I didn't actually play I'd have kept it. But I don't run a museum, so I let it go.

Agreed. When I bought my SS way back when the guy I was getting from said I would be selling it soon. That he had sold it because it was too easy and bought it back again because he missed the humor and general wackiness. I think he did this a few times. I didn't sell it because I wanted the larger sized collection so I can never over play anything and get sick of a game.

Quoted from Aurich:

As for the theme, it's not just about OMG ELVIRA AND HER BOOBS, it's about wonderful campy horror, with spooky organs, and funny callouts, flying eyeballs and dripping slime and all the great stuff mixed together. I'm not curious to see a new one because Elivra is on it, I'm curious because the general vibe and theme of that kind of fun horror stuff is really appealing to me. The innuendo is part of the charm, but not the sole attraction.

Actually there was some guy who took an EatPM and glued plastic boobs all over it. Really quite pathetic. And it is funny because it reminds you that is not what makes either of those pins so much fun. They are just great packages of fun pins to play with the art, music and call-out that go together so well.

My big worry is with an E3 can they make lighting strike a 3rd time or are that going to mess it up. (and the price)

#120 7 years ago

sheeeeeeee's baaaaaaaack

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally agree. Provided the game has an original design with modern features, I'd love to see what Dennis & Co come up with.

#122 7 years ago

Oh man, I've been out of the hobby completely for the past year after a move to a new house with limited space for pinball, but I've been looking to get back in.

This would be my first NIB purchase ever. Can anybody help a NIB newb with the overview of how a pre-order works? Payment schedule and amounts, roundabouts? Thanks.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

Oh man, I've been out of the hobby completely for the past year after a move to a new house with limited space for pinball, but I've been looking to get back in.
This would be my first NIB purchase ever. Can anybody help a NIB newb with the overview of how a pre-order works? Payment schedule and amounts, roundabouts? Thanks.

Preordering is very simple.

You send someone a bunch of money for no reason and then sit around waiting for your game while others who didn't pre-order impulse buy them and play in their homes while you wait.

It's a pretty cool system.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Preordering is very simple.
You send someone a bunch of money for no reason and then sit around waiting for your game while others who didn't pre-order impulse buy them and play in their homes while you wait.
It's a pretty cool system.

Ha, I was just reading on another thread just now a guy asking opinions on buying a NIB Stern, and everybody chiming in with the QC issues. I was unaware of these, as I haven't really been paying attention for over a year now.

Waiting may be the best option, but I am very interested in this title.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

Ha, I was just reading on another thread just now a guy asking opinions on buying a NIB Stern, and everybody chiming in with the QC issues. I was unaware of these, as I haven't really been paying attention for over a year now.
Waiting may be the best option, but I am very interested in this title.

To be honest I've never heard of the qc issues anywhere but here on Pinside, so I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems like as the prices go up the qc complaints go up, but ultimately I have no idea what's going on and what's real. I guess I'll find out though as this would be my first nib purchase, if they make it.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

sheeeeeeee's baaaaaaaack

There are much better pics of Cassandra on the interwebs. I believe she was 24 when she posed nude for High Society magazine. Let the googling commence!

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

but I am very interested in this title.

Me to Mr. GDV

#131 7 years ago

I was never really a fan of the Elvira TV show. I was hoping some day pinball would pay tribute to the true horror movie host legend.

Seymour (resized).jpgSeymour (resized).jpg

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was never really a fan of the Elvira TV show. I was hoping some day pinball would pay tribute to the true horror movie host legend.

bob hope ?

#133 7 years ago

No. Wolfman Jack!

WolfManJack4 (resized).jpgWolfManJack4 (resized).jpg

#134 7 years ago

here's pinball backglass art that came out in just recent years, that was a game design by the gentleman who will be speaking with Elvira on a panel in a few months. Wonder if there will be any similarities in design & art ?
Wonder if i should know better?

bigmelons-1 (resized).jpgbigmelons-1 (resized).jpg

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

There are much better pics of Cassandra on the interwebs. I believe she was 24 when she posed nude for High Society magazine. Let the googling commence!

Even younger when she was on the cover of Tom Waits' "Small Change", although she's not entirely sure she was the model in question.

I snuck peaks of that cover in my dads record collection as a kid with every chance I had. I could not BELIEVE when I heard it was the Queen of Darkness herself!

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was hoping some day pinball would pay tribute to the true horror movie host legend.

Agreed.

index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

here's pinball backglass art that came out in just recent years, that was a game design by the gentleman who will be speaking with Elvira on a panel in a few months. Wonder if there will be any similarities in design & art ?
Wonder if i should know better?

I actually would have preferred that art to be a little more revealing (say the melons are at the hips leaving the bikini top exposed). It just felt like if you are going to make that many boob puns, show a bit of boob.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I happened upon the link below a few years ago and favorited it... (NSFW warning!)
[Link removed]

I visit it every once in a while.

#143 7 years ago

Wow, we didn't have Sam Terry. As far as I remember in LA before Seymour Presents, there was Chiller Theater or something like that, but I don't think there was a host.That was mid 60s.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I happened upon the link below a few years ago and favorited it... (NSFW warning!)
[Link removed]
I visit it every once in a while.

cool, thanks. I'm not a huge fan of the Elvira get up but I like her pics au naturel

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wow, we didn't have Sam Terry. As far as I remember in LA before Seymour Presents, there was Chiller Theater or something like that, but I don't think there was a host.That was mid 60s.

My mom was a fan of Sammy Terry's when I was a kid and passed that on to us boys.

Kind of surprising he was never on a pin even as an easter egg. I imagine his program made it to Chicago. Wasn't Bozo from Chicago too? It's funny the regional shows that gain mild national fame.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

My mom was a fan of Sammy Terry's when I was a kid and passed that on to us boys.
Kind of surprising he was never on a pin even as an easter egg. I imagine his program made it to Chicago. Wasn't Bozo from Chicago too? It's funny the regional shows that gain mild national fame.

I kind of wish networks still had to provide a certain amount of local content like was required by law for awhile there. Most of those were bad but they had a sincerity. Red Green was another PBS fave. And the Hoosier Lotto game show was pretty low production. My brother and I was just reminiscing about that.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's funny the regional shows that gain mild national fame.

I brought up Larry Vincent because he was the original host of Fright Night on KHJ TV LA before Elvira took over years later.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I brought up Larry Vincent because he was the original host of Fright Night on KHJ TV LA before Elvira took over years later.

Being from Cali, do you remember Celebrity Bowling with Roy Rogers? I was bingeing that on Youtube and read it was a locally produced show in California.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Being from Cali, do you remember Celebrity Bowling with Roy Rogers?

Yeah, and we had Bowling for Dollars with Chick Hearn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.