Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

#1 3 years ago

Do you think EHoH would get old in a small collection? Love the theme and theatrics of the game but I’m afraid that once a bit of that new magic goes away I’ll be left with a pretty basic game. It also seems to be a fairly easy shooter so I wonder how long it would take to discover all its modes. Is the code deep/hard to achieve/keep you coming back for more?

Finally, in terms of a different kind of lastability, how long do you think Stern will continue to produce this title?

#2 3 years ago

Any game will get old in a 2 game collection. Ive been thru 23 games in 3 years, now have 4 keepers for sure , ehoh being one of them

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Any game will get old in a 2 game collection. Ive been thru 23 games in 3 years, now have 4 keepers for sure , ehoh being one of them

Right, trying to avoid going down that path myself. Hoping to build a 4-5 game collection in the next year. Something about ehoh makes it more lastable than your other 19 right? Just wondering what that is. Also, how long have you had it if you don’t mind me asking?

#4 3 years ago

Only had it a few weeks. But played often before. Have owned ss for over a year and its keeper too. Im not a big code or tourney player, have never been in a tournament. Theme, variation, toys and lights. Im like a lil kid, attracted to the bright lights

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you think EHoH would get old in a small collection? Love the theme and theatrics of the game but I’m afraid that once a bit of that new magic goes away I’ll be left with a pretty basic game. It also seems to be a fairly easy shooter so I wonder how long it would take to discover all its modes. Is the code deep/hard to achieve/keep you coming back for more?

It's a Lyman Sheets game. No one has deeper code, or works harder at updates. You'll get an update for this years after you think it was done, because Lyman will tinker with things on his own time.

#6 3 years ago

But ill never sell my old sinbad. Buy what you like, try not to overpay. I waited on ehoh for a good used low play ,and saved 1k.

#7 3 years ago

Well at least it’s not TMNT.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Finally, in terms of a different kind of lastability, how long do you think Stern will continue to produce this title?

Hasn’t got old in a year for me. (Ok, 10 months). I also have MB, TZ, Houdini, POTC, DW. And a P3 with Heist on the way. EHOH is still the most-played game. It’s a fairly easy shooter... sort of. But it’s the right mix of fun and challenging, and you don’t get to even half the game with most plays. I don’t, anyway. There is so much to see..

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

It's a Lyman Sheets game. No one has deeper code, or works harder at updates. You'll get an update for this years after you think it was done, because Lyman will tinker with things on his own time.

The ONLY exception to this ever, is MB

#10 3 years ago

Can't be that bad a game, if they are making a $999.00 topper.
Haven't played this game but the first one was great and the second better than average.
GLWP

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Any game will get old after a while in a small collection. Variety is the spice of life and this game has a lot of variety.

I'm not a good enough of a player to do everything the game has to offer in a single game so I like that its non linear gameplay let's you go for different objectives depending on what mood you're in..

For example you could just try to do a many haunts as possible, or collect all the junk to get to phone a friend, or collect as many dead heads as possible, or get to Gappa Angry. If you get good at getting to Gappa Angry you could start going for the other 5 freak fryer multiballs instead; run for your life, scream test, make out mayhem, dance fever, pool party.

The soundtrack has a lot of variety as well with music for each haunt from its respective film which are all unique, plus a few fun licensed songs, Elvira's Movie Macabre theme, and tons of great funny callouts by Elvira and Tim Kitzrow.

#12 3 years ago

Following. I am also considering whether this pin is would be a good fit for me. Is it challenging? Is it fun? Does it have legs? Stuff like that.

I dig the theme, the sexual humor, the retro feel, the cool mechanical toys and the art. No issues there.

#13 3 years ago

EHOH was one of the best pinball purchases I have made in years and probably one of the top 5 purchases I made in 30 years of this hobby.

#14 3 years ago

30 pins, probably my favorite, just fun!

#15 3 years ago

I've rifled through a lot of games this year but Elvira and Jurassic Park have been ones that came in but haven't turned over yet and remain off my list of turnover candidates. At this point I would consider them keepers for me which typically means greater than 12 months shelf life.

Elvira in particular ALWAYS gets top votes when I have my buddies over to play. They spend the most time on it due to its approachable nature, clear shots and ruleset, humor, theme, and difficulty in achieving what would seem to be easy goals. Its my favorite game in my lineup as well. I love it so much it will be getting that crazy expensive topper!

#16 3 years ago

Any concerns with long ball/game times at home? Ive played it less than a dozen times and game times seemed incredibly long due to the safe layout.

#17 3 years ago

I have a small collection of games and this definitely is one that is bolt to the floor for me. The code is deep which give the game a really high replay-ability that my other games just don't have. The layout may look like an easy shooter but Lyman made sure the modes are hard to get thought.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Following. I am also considering whether this pin is would be a good fit for me. Is it challenging? Is it fun? Does it have legs? Stuff like that.
I dig the theme, the sexual humor, the retro feel, the cool mechanical toys and the art. No issues there.

Yes its challenging, so many different aspects to shoot at. Yes its great fun!!! My only complaint is not enuff bawdy call outs, but im hoping that will come in final code. I just don't see this, met, ss and sinbad ever leavin here

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Any concerns with long ball/game times at home? Ive played it less than a dozen times and game times seemed incredibly long due to the safe layout.

Good question. Very long-playing pins aren't for everyone. Is this pin one of them?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

As others have said, any game can get old in a small collection so it will depend on what other games you put with it. But with what Lyman has done with the code there is no way you can classify Elvira as a basic game. I doubt I’ll ever see everything that’s already in the code.

As for how long Stern will produce the game - if it’s like most titles they probably have a three year license so it wouldn’t be surprising to see famed produced into 2022. Distributors always get a last call for the final run so if you are worried about getting one NIB get with your distributor and let them know you are interested.

#21 3 years ago

This pin can have long ball times, with that said everyone who has come over to play has gravitated to this pin. Every time i get to Gappa i get all excited and have never done well in this mode. This pin is definitely a keeper to me cause even if i do get one challenge done i can never get them all done in one game.
Lyman is coding this game so there is still more to come. Love this game

Approachable and easy to play but very hard to master.

#22 3 years ago

Any game will get old in any collection IMO. If it doesn't have that theme that makes it difficult to part with then its on borrowed time especially after u achieve final wizard mode.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you think EHoH would get old in a small collection? Love the theme and theatrics of the game but I’m afraid that once a bit of that new magic goes away I’ll be left with a pretty basic game.

Thats when u sell it and buy something new.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Any game will get old in any collection IMO. If it doesn't have that theme that makes it difficult to part with then its on borrowed time especially after u achieve final wizard mode.

Thats when u sell it and buy something new.

This is so true. Worst case you get bored with it, and sell it. With Elvira currently being in the Top 10 of Pinside, and with it being a somewhat limited production game, it'll be easy to sell or trade later on. I pick mine up on Saturday, and I'm expecting it to stay a very long time.

#24 3 years ago

One of the best released games from Stern in my opinion. Great code, with the best callouts of any pin i have played. If you like a pin that is awesome fun, smooth to shoot, and looks amazing then you won't go wrong with getting an Elvira. I've had my LE since release and love it.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Well at least it’s not TMNT.

Nothing wrong with TMNT.

#26 3 years ago

Elvira is sick. If you can get your hands on one it won’t leave for sometime!

#27 3 years ago

My only gripe with Elvira is the plastic ramps. For the “Premium” price. They could have used wireforms

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

My only gripe with Elvira is the plastic ramps. For the “Premium” price. They could have used wireforms

I was bummed too, but after owning , you can see thru them better, smoother and quieter. I think they work great

#29 3 years ago

Very solid game with a great set of rules. Can play a little long but that can of course be adjusted with the physical set up and the code. Any "deep" game needs to have fairly long ball times or you'll never see 90% of the code.

#30 3 years ago

It's an easy playing game for a really good player. If your an average player it's a good pin with a deep rule set that you can keep learning and trying new things.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

It's an easy playing game for a really good player. If your an average player it's a good pin with a deep rule set that you can keep learning and trying new things.

I'm only an average player, but this is one of those games that can be "as hard as you want it to be" - for a beginner, definitely easy to understand and get into. An average player can get fairly far, but you do have to be fairly good to get anywhere meaningful. The shots aren't revolutionary, but it's FUN for sure. I'm not sure if a super championship tournament player would adore it - maybe! I don't understand the thinking around the playfield layouts - lots of people say they want a new, challenging layout, but when one comes out (Houdini, Oktoberfest), it gets all kinds of hate. JP2 has a pretty interesting playfield, but my initial impressions were that it wasn't that different from IMDN. Great layout either way though.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm only an average player, but this is one of those games that can be "as hard as you want it to be" - for a beginner, definitely easy to understand and get into. An average player can get fairly far, but you do have to be fairly good to get anywhere meaningful. The shots aren't revolutionary, but it's FUN for sure. I'm not sure if a super championship tournament player would adore it - maybe! I don't understand the thinking around the playfield layouts - lots of people say they want a new, challenging layout, but when one comes out (Houdini, Oktoberfest), it gets all kinds of hate. JP2 has a pretty interesting playfield, but my initial impressions were that it wasn't that different from IMDN. Great layout either way though.

Has this game ever been featured in a major tournament? I would think it would have to be bastardized if you had top level players competing on it. On my third game playing it at Expo last year I put up close to 300 million and the consensus in talking to my buddies was that it was too easy of a game with really long game times. I'd imagine a player like KME or Escher could play for hours on one if it was setup stock. There's not a problem with that necessarily, not all games should have tight shots and geared towards competitive players. I think for the vast majority of players they'd enjoy an easier shooting game like Elvira vs. something like JP2. Maiden can definitely play long as well but at least it has side to side shots (upper flippers) which can put the ball in danger.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Has this game ever been featured in a major tournament? I would think it would have to be bastardized if you had top level players competing on it. On my third game playing it at Expo last year I put up close to 300 million and the consensus in talking to my buddies was that it was too easy of a game with really long game times. I'd imagine a player like KME or Escher could play for hours on one if it was setup stock. There's not a problem with that necessarily, not all games should have tight shots and geared towards competitive players. I think for the vast majority of players they'd enjoy an easier shooting game like Elvira vs. something like JP2. Maiden can definitely play long as well but at least it has side to side shots (upper flippers) which can put the ball in danger.

No idea - I could see some really long ball times for a master shooter - that's the problem with the fan layout, isn't it? It's not the layout itself, it's that it's immanently familiar. There's 5,000 games with the same shots. I have lots of games where I'm just fooling around and have dumb drains, but if I concentrate I can put up 500 million fairly regularly. The playfield multipliers are pretty easy to get, too, so super high scores arent' that tough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 12.95
$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-lastability?hl=tpoeckh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.