• Latest reply 3 hours ago by jazc4
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is buying Steve Ritchie's Elton John?”

• Only if it's not Elton John 29 votes
    4%
  • I'm a Steve Ritchie Fan and can't wait to see what he has done with it! 113 votes
    15%
  • I'll make up my mind after expo 81 votes
    11%
  • Please God don't be Elton John 273 votes
    36%
  • Next title please! 268 votes
    35%

(764 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6565 (resized).jpeg
giphy (2).gif
nike-sb-dunk-high-san-francisco (resized).jpg
20220624_203246 (resized).jpg
IMG_0250 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9618 (resized).jpeg
FF (resized).JPG
FF (resized).png
IMG_6778 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6779 (resized).png
IMG_9595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6776 (resized).png
IMG_6775 (resized).png
DSCN0780 (resized).JPG
DSCN0779 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,802 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 97.
#4201 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And I also beefed on cock snake. $6K didn't get it done!

That one caught my eye too, just ridiculously awesome. Exactly the kind of art I expect a wealthy flamboyantly gay rock star to own. So much of the stuff in that collection is perfectly on the nose. Elton does not disappoint.

I hope you managed to slip a business card to the pin winner for future maintenance. They won't even know how to get the lockdown bar off.

#4202 3 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

That one caught my eye too, just ridiculously awesome. Exactly the kind of art I expect a wealthy flamboyantly gay rock start to own. So much of the stuff in that collection is perfectly on the nose. Elton does not disappoint.
I hope you managed to slip a business card to the pin winner for future maintenance. They won't even know how to get the lockdown bar off.

Ha I did not. The last thing I want is to become married to this thing. I also have no idea where it's being shipped, I don't think it was a local buyer.

I may get drafted into helping break it down for shipping but I think that will end my involvement with it. It really was fun to tour the public auction display, we spent like 2 hours there there was so much cool stuff to see. It's basically a free pop culture museum. Fun to watch some of it get auctioned off yesterday too.

I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't go to the public viewing for David Gilmour's guitars a few years ago.

#4203 3 months ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

It’s 2D ‘paper cutout’ animation mixed with rendered images. The occasional clip of film footage (e.g. Elton John performing Tommy). Really surrealist art style featuring cats wearing bow ties, crocodiles flying on rockets, a house that gets up and follows Elton John down a street.
Speaking as a music fan, but not an Elton John fan specifically, I like it much more than photo-realistic concert footage. I’d never consider buying, for example, Stern’s AC/DC because it’s an eyesore, but we’re currently hiring an Elton John and I’m definitely considering adding one to our collection.

Thanks for the details. Interesting you are hiring ann EJ now and considering to have one permanently. That speaks loudly for sure. That being said, my tastes for fast, challenging and deep code are more unique than most probably. I have completed most of my games including Foo Fighters and always leave them on factory settings. I need a lot of things to do and many things at the same time, even better! I dropped out on my Jaws because sterns quality control has been horrible and it just feels like more of the same now. The last 3/6 Stern games I have had insert issues, playfields warping or a combination. I have to look to something else and perhaps EJ will fit the bill. I am going to try one this weekend and make my decision. Played Jaws pro last night and didn’t feel I missed out on a lot there especially when I have many many Sterns already.

#4204 3 months ago

I am so dying to play EJ - one of our local barcades is getting one any day now! I want so bad this game to be a must have but I gotta play it first the way prices have gotten. We passed on TS and TGF but the wife is interested in EJ so please Lord let this pin knock our socks off…. Our last nib pin was either potcle or wozrr so it’s been a while and I miss that New Jersey Jack pin smell!

#4205 3 months ago

For anyone that has not played this your missing out GAME OF THE DECADE

#4206 3 months ago

Yup

#4207 3 months ago
Quoted from musketd:

It’s a great game

#4208 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a great game

YES!

#4209 3 months ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Thanks for the details. Interesting you are hiring ann EJ now and considering to have one permanently. That speaks loudly for sure. That being said, my tastes for fast, challenging and deep code are more unique than most probably. I have completed most of my games including Foo Fighters and always leave them on factory settings. I need a lot of things to do and many things at the same time, even better! I dropped out on my Jaws because sterns quality control has been horrible and it just feels like more of the same now. The last 3/6 Stern games I have had insert issues, playfields warping or a combination. I have to look to something else and perhaps EJ will fit the bill. I am going to try one this weekend and make my decision. Played Jaws pro last night and didn’t feel I missed out on a lot there especially when I have many many Sterns already.

I have Foo Fighters and EJ and don’t feel FF is very deep at all. Hopefully more code is coming.
It definitely doesn’t compared in how EJ rewards you and celebrates your progression.

#4210 3 months ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I have two modern Sterns (JP2 and GZ Prem), TNA CE, and a selection of other machines from different eras (AFM, Alien Poker, Centaur, Fish Tales). I’m a huge Elwin fan - I had Keith Elwin sign my JP2 backglass at the UK Open last year. I was assuming, before it came out, that Jaws might replace one of my existing Elwins.

I played EJ at London EAG show along with Labyrinth, Jaws (Pro/Prem) and Pulp Fiction. I was disappointed with Jaws - it currently lacks a lot compared to my existing Elwins and is probably on par with A:IQ (which is good, but not worth me owning long term). I really enjoyed Pulp Fiction, as does everyone it seems, but I was also intrigued by EJ.

For context, I’ve always fancied a JJP, but have never found one that I feel would cross the threshold for purchasing in terms of gameplay. We also really like Steve Ritchie pins, but - again - not quite enough to cross the threshold for owning. And I like music pins, as well, but too many are hard rock.

Anyway, I realised hardly anyone in the UK was going to buy EJ, so I was unlikely to see one again on location and I don’t blind-buy games (especially NIB £12,750 ones). Luckily, I saw that the EJ prototype that was at the show had been offered by Phil at Pinball Heaven (the big UK distributor) for a short-term rental, so I contacted him straight afterwards to see what was happening with the pin, and he offered to rent it out to me.

It feels, so far, like lightning in a bottle. The RGB lighting works well with the extravagant EJ concert theme and the JJP production values beautifully complement the Steve Ritchie layout and gameplay. I’m still working out whether it can hold its own long term in our existing collection - we probably won’t know that until almost when it leaves - but it’s getting played a lot at the moment, in a collection with AFM/GZ/JP2. These are all Pinside Top 5 pins, so it’s definitely a very strong title.

Obviously, it’s a very tournament player-friendly type of machine. It’s very fast. It can be brutal. We’re not very good tournament players, but I tend to like the faster, more snappy pins. There are a lot of centre drains on the machine we have, and it’s very reliant on upper flipper shots. Generally, it’s an excellent layout - better, in my opinion, than Led Zep, Game of Thrones, Star Wars and Spiderman. It shoots smooth and fast like Led Zep, though, and the flippers feel good too.

It feels very much like a refinement of ‘tournament’ Guns n’ Roses (i.e. with most of the multi-balls turned off, so you’ve got to work for them). Better layout, better use of multi-balls, and a perfection of the concert lighting. We’re still exploring the rules.

#4211 3 months ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I will say that in its current state, Elton is a fairly shallow game by modern standards. More shallow than Foo fighters (which I also love). Personally, I don't mind, its nice to have a game where you can just play it and not have to concentrate on following an encyclopedia of rules sometimes. I'd love to own one, but I also do see it maybe getting stale after a while. I've played through all the modes in the short time I had access to one on location but all the glitz and fun kept me coming back. If you absolutely require super deep code though, that is one knock I can make on the game

#4212 3 months ago

Thank goodness this is just a good shooting game and not needlessly complex for a change. Good sign when someone at arcade took less a minute to explain main objectives vs sending me a link to read.

#4213 3 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thank goodness this is just a good shooting game and not needlessly complex for a change. Good sign when someone at arcade took less a minute to explain main objectives vs sending me a link to read.

More Blinking

Less Thinking

Goes Well with Pinball and Beer Drinking!

#4214 3 months ago

Some EJ Hype here - 21 days until I get my PE! I can't wait!!!!
Thank you to everyone who has been sharing how much you are loving this game.
I had the opportunity to play this at TNT and it confirmed everything.
I turned right around and put my deposit down on my own.
21 Days!!!!

EJ-21 (resized).JPGEJ-21 (resized).JPG
#4215 3 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

More Blinking
Less Thinking
Goes Well with Pinball and Beer Drinking!

Yes!!!! I’m too A D D to treat pins like video games. Just flip flip flip! Lol

#4216 3 months ago

FOO is no where near as good as Elton just saying; I own a foo and find it extremely underwhelming Jack Danger and Tanio I can’t figure them out no good code updates really for that game since it came out

#4217 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Forget the power supply.
Turn the game off. Remove the backglass. See the I/O board - long, narrow, all the fuses on it ? Go around all four sides of it and make sure every connector is on, and pushed on tight.
LTG : )
Disclaimer : Former jjp something or other.

How do you get behind the LCD? We are getting Hardware I/O board errors on the one at league. I reseated all the connections under the playfield, but no change.

#4218 3 months ago
Quoted from Rprovost:

Auction was great. I can’t figure out that price point although very good for the charity. I called and confirmed the game did not even come from Elton John’s house nor did he ever own it. He just signed the apron sheet separately. Seems like a crazy price for just a signature that’s added.

Well that's good to know. Just for one autograph. Makes me wonder what my GnR will bring, not that i am thinking about selling this one of a kind beast. Good news for the charity.

20220624_203254 (resized).jpg20220624_203254 (resized).jpgsigned at Groningen june 23, 2022 (resized).jpgsigned at Groningen june 23, 2022 (resized).jpg

#4219 3 months ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

How do you get behind the LCD?

It's held in place by magnet and it's on a wall mount. Pull it out. Go around the I/O board first for any loose connectors.

LTG : )

#4220 3 months ago
Quoted from musketd:

You're (resized).jpegYou're (resized).jpeg
#4221 88 days ago

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I really find it hard pressed to say Elton John is better than Foo Fighters. Foo Fighters code is not even complete at this point and it is already miles ahead of Elton John, it's only going to get better. While both games shoot well, they are completely different. Foo Fighters takes you on a adventure of touring cities with all types of side quests along the way. Elton John is more like playing a pinball jukebox with a bunch of fancy lights. There really is no journey. No sense of climbing your way to the top or even up the charts. Beyond all this and the real kicker for is, people are always complaining about heavy mulitballs in JJP games but with Elton John all you are trying to do is start them! CRAZY!

Not trying to take aware anything from Elton John, it's a great shooting game but some people seem to be a bit delusional with their comments.

#4222 88 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I really find it hard pressed to say Elton John is better than Foo Fighters. Foo Fighters code is not even complete at this point and it is already miles ahead of Elton John, it's only going to get better. While both games shoot well, they are completely different. Foo Fighters takes you on a adventure of touring cities with all types of side quests along the way. Elton John is more like playing a pinball jukebox with a bunch of fancy lights. There really is no journey. No sense of climbing your way to the top or even up the charts. Beyond all this and the real kicker for is, people are always complaining about heavy mulitballs in JJP games but with Elton John all you are trying to do is start them! CRAZY!
Not trying to take aware anything from Elton John, it's a great shooting game but some people seem to be a bit delusional with their comments.

rules and journey wise maybe true. My feelings are EJ is just flat out fun. It's non-stop over and over and over again. I have NEVER had that with any other game ever. 2 months later I still play it daily and smile the whole way. I like foo too.

#4223 88 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

While it may shoot well, the Foo Fighters game's Saturday morning cartoon style artwork and videos, as well as FF's music, leave me cold.

Color me delusional, but I'll easily take the Elton John game over it.

#4224 87 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I've played both pins and am currently hiring an Elton John. The multiball problem with some of the more recent JJPs (e.g. G n'R on factory settings) is that there's no sense of achievement. You don't need to work for a multiball - one just starts pretty much straight off the plunge with no effort, and there's subsequently not that much skill beyond flapping the ball around. It feels like it was designed for Guns and Roses fans who were rubbish at pinball, so they could randomly hit balls everywhere while pretending to be at a concert.

With the factory settings changed, G n'R is a game of working to start a multiball, as is Elton John, as - in fact - are a huge array of well-regarded classic pins including, famously, for example, Bally-Williams classic Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Although good code is nice, having more code doesn't necessarily make for a better game. The Hobbit is not better than every other pin because it has more code, and Venom Pro isn't super brilliant due to having lots of code either. We have a TNA here, and I spend a lot of time playing Centaur (80s pin, ooh, scary) and neither is over-endowed with code. They're just super-fun to shoot.

Likewise, although Elton John doesn't have the level of code of some modern Sterns, it's an evolution of pins where the whole point is to get a high score - like, well, pretty much every pin before Lord of the Rings. You do that, yes, by working towards getting multiballs. In the meantime, it's very fun to shoot and has some great toys and expressive lighting. It's just not narrative based, but neither are most pinball machines, to be honest. No one complains that Metallica is a bad pin because there isn't a story and a bunch of modes.

#4225 87 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

Likewise, although Elton John doesn't have the level of code of some modern Sterns, it's an evolution of pins where the whole point is to get a high score - like, well, pretty much every pin before Lord of the Rings.

Exactly! I agree, EJ is very much so a hi-score achievement game. It's not mode based and speaking for myself, that is probably what I dislike about it the most. It's not that is not fun to play, it's the game progression (or lack of it) that I don't care for.

#4226 87 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

While it may shoot well, the Foo Fighters game's Saturday morning cartoon style artwork and videos, as well as FF's music, leave me cold.
Color me delusional, but I'll easily take the Elton John game over it.

I'm a 80's kid so this is the major draw for me! I love the fact that Foo Fighters really isn't even a game about the band, it's more or less an alien invasion game with FF music in it. The art style is exceptional! The music is ok but I sorta feel the same about EJ to a lesser degree.

However... All this is subjective. If you think EJ is the better game than FF, so be it but outside of this thread... I think most would disagree with you.

Bottom line... It's your money, you should spend it on the things you like and not what others think you should like.

#4227 87 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I'm a 80's kid so this is the major draw for me! I love the fact that Foo Fighters really isn't even a game about the band, it's more or less an alien invasion game with FF music in it. The art style is exceptional! The music is ok but I sorta feel the same about EJ to a lesser degree.
However... All this is subjective. If you think EJ is the better game than FF, so be it but outside of this thread... I think most would disagree with you.
Bottom line... It's your money, you should spend it on the things you like and not what others think you should like.

Why is it not a surprise you prefer foo?Im mean it was voted game of the year by a landslide!lol

#4228 87 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Exactly! I agree, EJ is very much so a hi-score achievement game. It's not mode based and speaking for myself, that is probably what I dislike about it the most. It's not that is not fun to play, it's the game progression (or lack of it) that I don't care for.

Hmmm, thinking about it, it's not purely high score. It's more that it's progression by multiball quest rather than mode quest.

The Stern way is that there's a story that advances through easy-to-qualify, hard-to-complete modes like the paddocks in JP or the monster battles in Godzilla.

The JJP way is that the scoring is dominated by relatively hard-to-qualify multiballs, and the experience between the multiballs is about the quests to achieve a multiball, and you're often going for several multiballs in parallel. Where JJP went wrong with previous machines (e.g. GnR on factory settings) is that they made the quest for multiballs too easy, so it got boring fast. I've also played GnR on 'tournament settings' and that's all about qualifying multiballs and super fun (in my opinion).

#4229 87 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Why is it not a surprise you prefer foo?Im mean it was voted game of the year by a landslide!lol

You mean the TWIPY's? lol Yeah, what a joke that whole thing is!

#4230 87 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

Hmmm, thinking about it, it's not purely high score. It's more that it's progression by multiball quest rather than mode quest.
The Stern way is that there's a story that advances through easy-to-qualify, hard-to-complete modes like the paddocks in JP or the monster battles in Godzilla.
The JJP way is that the scoring is dominated by relatively hard-to-qualify multiballs, and the experience between the multiballs is about the quests to achieve a multiball, and you're often going for several multiballs in parallel. Where JJP went wrong with previous machines (e.g. GnR on factory settings) is that they made the quest for multiballs too easy, so it got boring fast. I've also played GnR on 'tournament settings' and that's all about qualifying multiballs and super fun (in my opinion).

Exactly! This is what I was trying to explain to a friend and my comment in a prior post. It's like in most JJP games multiballs seem to happen often but in EJ, it's a major goal of the game. It's like they took everything that was easy and complained about in GNR, then made it the hardest thing to do in EJ (take this with a grain of salt). When I step up to EJ my main focus at first is to stack Croc and Rocket mulitball but I can't bring it into a mode because there is none so the next thing I do is try to lock balls into the piano. It's like the whole time I am playing the game, all I am doing is trying to collect notes, pieces of his outfit and start multiballs!!

#4231 87 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Exactly! This is what I was trying to explain to a friend and my comment in a prior post. It's like in most JJP games multiballs seem to happen often but in EJ, it's a major goal of the game. It's like they took everything that was easy and complained about in GNR, then made it the hardest thing to do in EJ (take this with a grain of salt). When I step up to EJ my main focus at first is to stack Croc and Rocket mulitball but I can't bring it into a mode because there is none so the next thing I do is try to lock balls into the piano. It's like the whole time I am playing the game, all I am doing is trying to collect notes, pieces of his outfit and start multiballs!!

Yes, I think that's a pretty good summary of the gameplay

The way that I see it is that quite a few pins are like this. I owned Creature of the Black Lagoon for about six months and the entire game is shooting different shots to qualify multiball. The problem, for me anyway, was that I could qualify multiball most games and, although I never got a super jackpot (I'm not good enough), I ended up with a bit of a 'I've finished, what next?' reaction most games.

Elton John has enough 'stuff' after Crocodile Multiball that it doesn't feel that I can get to 'the end' with reasonable effort. So, it's doing the same thing as Creech, but with a lot more staying power. It reminds me, in some ways, Metallica. Lots of smooth shots, a bunch of multiballs and you 'win' by getting four times through the same wizard mode (Crank It Up).

From our gameplay so far, there's definitely a lot of subtle strategy beyond 'get the multiball'. For example, I go for the bonus multiplier skillshot to boost my end-of-ball bonus if I'm having a good ball.

#4232 87 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:Exactly! This is what I was trying to explain to a friend and my comment in a prior post. It's like in most JJP games multiballs seem to happen often but in EJ, it's a major goal of the game. It's like they took everything that was easy and complained about in GNR, then made it the hardest thing to do in EJ (take this with a grain of salt). When I step up to EJ my main focus at first is to stack Croc and Rocket mulitball but I can't bring it into a mode because there is none so the next thing I do is try to lock balls into the piano. It's like the whole time I am playing the game, all I am doing is trying to collect notes, pieces of his outfit and start multiballs!!

All of the song modes are active during multiball (except Champ Multiball).

One strategy would be to collect enough notes to qualify all of the wardrobe items. Get a multiball qualified. Collect the three wardrobe items (at the backstage shot) and immediately start the multiball. This will put you in Victory Laps, where every shot is lit for 3M or more, for the remainder of the current song. Might be wise to choose one of the longer songs to maximize the time in Victory Laps.

But long term, you should be focused on what gets you to one of the wizard modes, playing all of the Signature Stage multiballs or collecting Milestones.

#4233 87 days ago
Quoted from jackbot:

All of the song modes are active during multiball (except Champ Multiball).
One strategy would be to collect enough notes to qualify all of the wardrobe items. Get a multiball qualified. Collect the three wardrobe items (at the backstage shot) and immediately start the multiball. This will put you in Victory Laps, where every shot is lit for 3M or more, for the remainder of the current song. Might be wise to choose one of the longer songs to maximize the time in Victory Laps.
But long term, you should be focused on what gets you to one of the wizard modes, playing all of the Signature Stage multiballs or collecting Milestones.

Sounds like a lot of rinse and repeat to me but what the hell do I know?

With a game like EJ, I just basically shoot the lit shots like any other pinball machine and chase down those mulitballs, stacking them if I can.

None the less, thanks for the advice.

#4234 87 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

The multiball problem with some of the more recent JJPs (e.g. G n'R on factory settings) is that there's no sense of achievement.

They are not victory laps or rewards. They are modes.

#4235 87 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

They are not victory laps or rewards. They are modes.

Are you saying that the fun was had along the way was the goal type of thing? Or that the multi-ball unlock procedure is the mode?

#4236 87 days ago

I finally got to play a local EJ continuously for 3 hours. I would not try to compare EJ to FF at all.

I consider myself a decent player and to keep my attention long term a game does need to have a variety of modes and shots and features - preferably changing as I progress in the game. For me it is all about achieving something and/or trying to get somewhere. Mini-wizard and wizard modes are made for me. Now I agree that is not the same for everyone.

WARNING— this got way longer than I intended and way too many metaphor's:

First off I agree the game is amazing to look at. It is lit up like 1500 candles in the wind (haha see what I did there?) the backbox color and lighting is great and the side art, rails, etc do not disappoint.

The shots are really nice and the flippers are snappy and ready to swallow down combos lower, upper, upper, lower like a Crocodile in a duck pond. The most satisfying shots for me are the upper loop and upper ramp/piano lock shot. That one especially! Getting it to that upper flipper and watching it float around and into the piano is smooth like a hot knife through butter. Mmm so smooth and buttery.

Now as I said I played continuous for 3 hours so yeah the game draws you in and you want to play again. But I am a bit manic when it comes to new games so that’s not unusual.

I figured out the idea of the code and concept of the game fairly quickly. I was able to select each of the 4 concert stars and see each one through the piano mutiball. I was really hoping the screen would take me to LA or Vegas or London but the screen did not make me feel I was at those concerts at all. I found this disappointing. Seeing all 4 of the concert mutiballs was not a big deal and yes the more recent concerts had harder shots to complete and get jackpots (upper ramp and loops instead of the lower flipper shots) but aside from that they were similar. Could I qualify and get all 4 stars in a single game to get the final star in the middle. Yes I am sure I could but it doesn’t have the challenge or allure that I like in my games. The same goes for the songs and the albums. Songs you hit notes, qualify glasses, boots and jacket and then “power up” by hitting upper loop to collect. Could I do all songs in a game? Likely not and I don’t know why I would want to. The different glasses and boots and jackets were cool for sure. The albums you clear out the drops and collect them. They move around so you have to hit different targets but yeah you just keep smashing targets and getting albums which is fun to do and see how many you can get. Could I get all 30+ in a game? I doubt it but again why?

Hit the crocodile so many times and get crocodile MB and hit the rocket so many times to fill the tank and get rocket MB. More times with each successful MB. Rocket multiball with the 3…2…1 launch was as exciting the last time as it was the first time. Dont thing I would ever tire of that. Kinda like Sparky getting fried on Metallica but not really the same but sort of.

My plan was to make the decision and buy EJ after playing. It is fun. It has great shots. So do a lot of games I love. The code is not as exciting as many games I like. The build up is not there as I have with others. But ultimately for me I found many of the songs (aside from a few) just don’t go with the fast flow of this machine. In fact most of them do not. It just didn’t fit for me. Now I love Elton John’s music and I say he is an amazing artist and deserves all the accolades he has received and more. But playing to those slow, chill songs for me just didn’t do it. I would pick Saturday night or pinball wizard or crocodile rock but ultimately the next song would come on and you can’t pick those same ones always.

For me the experience at $12,000 or $15,000 has to be pinball love 100%. I have to love everything. And as much as there was to love, there was enough not to love for me to move away from that kind of $$. I would say at $10K and $13K the bar lowers and I would have been a buyer.

I write all this as I really really wanted to get myself one and I really really wanted to love it as I have heard so many rave about how amazing it is. I feel in 3 hours i saw most of everything i was going to see. There is no disputing it is a gorgeous game and I can’t see anyone being disappointed. Especially with their first 3 hours! I certainly was not.

IMG_0114 (resized).jpegIMG_0114 (resized).jpeg
#4237 87 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I finally got to play a local EJ continuously for 3 hours. I would not try to compare EJ to FF at all.
I consider myself a decent player and to keep my attention long term a game does need to have a variety of modes and shots and features - preferably changing as I progress in the game. For me it is all about achieving something and/or trying to get somewhere. Mini-wizard and wizard modes are made for me. Now I agree that is not the same for everyone.
WARNING— this got way longer than I intended and way too many metaphor's:
First off I agree the game is amazing to look at. It is lit up like 1500 candles in the wind (haha see what I did there?) the backbox color and lighting is great and the side art, rails, etc do not disappoint.
The shots are really nice and the flippers are snappy and ready to swallow down combos lower, upper, upper, lower like a Crocodile in a duck pond. The most satisfying shots for me are the upper loop and upper ramp/piano lock shot. That one especially! Getting it to that upper flipper and watching it float around and into the piano is smooth like a hot knife through butter. Mmm so smooth and buttery.
Now as I said I played continuous for 3 hours so yeah the game draws you in and you want to play again. But I am a bit manic when it comes to new games so that’s not unusual.
I figured out the idea of the code and concept of the game fairly quickly. I was able to select each of the 4 concert stars and see each one through the piano mutiball. I was really hoping the screen would take me to LA or Vegas or London but the screen did not make me feel I was at those concerts at all. I found this disappointing. Seeing all 4 of the concert mutiballs was not a big deal and yes the more recent concerts had harder shots to complete and get jackpots (upper ramp and loops instead of the lower flipper shots) but aside from that they were similar. Could I qualify and get all 4 stars in a single game to get the final star in the middle. Yes I am sure I could but it doesn’t have the challenge or allure that I like in my games. The same goes for the songs and the albums. Songs you hit notes, qualify glasses, boots and jacket and then “power up” by hitting upper loop to collect. Could I do all songs in a game? Likely not and I don’t know why I would want to. The different glasses and boots and jackets were cool for sure. The albums you clear out the drops and collect them. They move around so you have to hit different targets but yeah you just keep smashing targets and getting albums which is fun to do and see how many you can get. Could I get all 30+ in a game? I doubt it but again why?
Hit the crocodile so many times and get crocodile MB and hit the rocket so many times to fill the tank and get rocket MB. More times with each successful MB. Rocket multiball with the 3…2…1 launch was as exciting the last time as it was the first time. Dont thing I would ever tire of that. Kinda like Sparky getting fried on Metallica but not really the same but sort of.
My plan was to make the decision and buy EJ after playing. It is fun. It has great shots. So do a lot of games I love. The code is not as exciting as many games I like. The build up is not there as I have with others. But ultimately for me I found many of the songs (aside from a few) just don’t go with the fast flow of this machine. In fact most of them do not. It just didn’t fit for me. Now I love Elton John’s music and I say he is an amazing artist and deserves all the accolades he has received and more. But playing to those slow, chill songs for me just didn’t do it. I would pick Saturday night or pinball wizard or crocodile rock but ultimately the next song would come on and you can’t pick those same ones always.
For me the experience at $12,000 or $15,000 has to be pinball love 100%. I have to love everything. And as much as there was to love, there was enough not to love for me to move away from that kind of $$. I would say at $10K and $13K the bar lowers and I would have been a buyer.
I write all this as I really really wanted to get myself one and I really really wanted to love it as I have heard so many rave about how amazing it is. I feel in 3 hours i saw most of everything i was going to see. There is no disputing it is a gorgeous game and I can’t see anyone being disappointed. Especially with their first 3 hours! I certainly was not.[quoted image]

So the game is good for three hours of play?

#4238 87 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I was good after 1.5 hours but I think that roughly converts to 3 hours Canadian

#4239 86 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

We've had it for a week now and it's being played a lot - multiple times a day by multiple people.

As it's a rental, we're not playing our other machines as much while it's here.

It depends on what you're into. We have Fish Tales, TNA and Centaur (along with a couple of modern Sterns), and I've been playing Centaur - for example - daily since it arrived in late November.

If you're someone for whom it's all about the code, you own 100% modern Sterns, you're into the 'new hotness', and you wouldn't let something like Centaur into your home, I suspect you will 'get bored' quickly with this pin. We are so far not bored with EJ, but - as I say - I'm also not yet bored by a 1981 street-level pin with about three rules. Fish Tales has also been here, getting played regularly, since early 2021.

Both Centaur and Elton John shoot amazing, but EJ has the benefit of looking and sounding amazing too.

I personally don't get the 'ooohhh, MOAR RULES' thing with pinball. I wouldn't swap Centaur for the Mandalorian despite it having more rules. It's a rare pin where extra rules add strategic depth, risk-reward, or a need to adopt interesting new play styles. Normally, the extra rules are just stacking multiballs with a mildly time-limited 'shoot the flashing lights' in different combinations, but with different graphics on the LCD screen each time (which I don't even look at). The only purpose of extra rules/wizard modes is to stop people 'getting to the end' and 'feeling like they've finished', which EJ actually does in spades.

There's a separate issue that Elton John doesn't have a 'theme', but neither do most music pins (or TNA).

#4240 86 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

... For me the experience at $12,000 or $15,000 has to be pinball love 100%. ... I feel in 3 hours i saw most of everything i was going to see. There is no disputing it is a gorgeous game and I can’t see anyone being disappointed. Especially with their first 3 hours! ...

I'm thinking that the CE is a better bang for your buck as I'll probably spend another 3 hours just gawking at its fabulous topper laser light show.

So twice the enjoyment (6 hours) for only an additional 25% investment!

#4241 86 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

If you're someone for whom it's all about the code, you own 100% modern Sterns, you're into the 'new hotness', and you wouldn't let something like Centaur into your home, I suspect you will 'get bored' quickly with this pin.

Sounds about right.

Ironically I own a Centaur and had instant regret after a day of ownership. It's not a bad game but for me, there are so many other games I would rather own than it.

#4242 86 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm thinking that the CE is a better bang for your buck as I'll probably spend another 3 hours just gawking at its fabulous topper laser light show.
So twice the enjoyment (6 hours) for only an additional 25% investment!

CE is cool if you have probably 10 foot high ceilings but for most people, I would say this is not the case.

I was barely able to fit my GF CE topper in my basement with drop ceiling and had to remove the skyline for it to just fit. After that, I think I had about an inch of clearance between the topper and the ceiling!

#4243 86 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

CE is cool if you have probably 10 foot high ceilings but for most people, I would say this is not the case.
I was barely able to fit my GF CE topper in my basement with drop ceiling and had to remove the skyline for it to just fit. After that, I think I had about an inch of clearance between the topper and the ceiling!

No basements here in Texas, nothing but high ceilings.

Can’t wait to enjoy that topper light show on my ceiling !

#4244 86 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No basements here in Texas, nothing but high ceilings.
Can’t wait to enjoy that topper light show on my ceiling !

Hell Yeah!

Everything is BIG in TEXAS!

#4245 86 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

We've had it for a week now and it's being played a lot - multiple times a day by multiple people.
As it's a rental, we're not playing our other machines as much while it's here.
It depends on what you're into. We have Fish Tales, TNA and Centaur (along with a couple of modern Sterns), and I've been playing Centaur - for example - daily since it arrived in late November.
If you're someone for whom it's all about the code, you own 100% modern Sterns, you're into the 'new hotness', and you wouldn't let something like Centaur into your home, I suspect you will 'get bored' quickly with this pin. We are so far not bored with EJ, but - as I say - I'm also not yet bored by a 1981 street-level pin with about three rules. Fish Tales has also been here, getting played regularly, since early 2021.
Both Centaur and Elton John shoot amazing, but EJ has the benefit of looking and sounding amazing too.
I personally don't get the 'ooohhh, MOAR RULES' thing with pinball. I wouldn't swap Centaur for the Mandalorian despite it having more rules. It's a rare pin where extra rules add strategic depth, risk-reward, or a need to adopt interesting new play styles. Normally, the extra rules are just stacking multiballs with a mildly time-limited 'shoot the flashing lights' in different combinations, but with different graphics on the LCD screen each time (which I don't even look at). The only purpose of extra rules/wizard modes is to stop people 'getting to the end' and 'feeling like they've finished', which EJ actually does in spades.
There's a separate issue that Elton John doesn't have a 'theme', but neither do most music pins (or TNA).

I don't think many are arguing more rules = a better pin. It's more about good implementation of rules. I love my (adjusted for difficulty) Cactus Canyon with it's simple ruleset because it consistently creates urgency and suspense. This is the #1 problem in almost every jjp game. There is very little urgency or suspense. If there is, it's usually coupled with a mb to ruin it.

The #2 problem is that they don't seem to care. It'll seemingly stay this way forever. I never bother to consider buying their games anymore, especially with their ridiculous pricing.
Hell, I even bought a Spooky, which I learned the hard way is a far worse decision!

Stern may have the worst build quality and cheap out on everything, but they create great designs, great immersion, great urgency and great suspense. Destruction jackpot in gz comes to mind.

#4246 86 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't think many are arguing more rules = a better pin. It's more about good implementation of rules. I love my (adjusted for difficulty) Cactus Canyon with it's simple ruleset because it consistently creates urgency and suspense. This is the #1 problem in almost every jjp game. There is very little urgency or suspense. If there is, it's usually coupled with a mb to ruin it.
The #2 problem is that they don't seem to care. It'll seemingly stay this way forever. I never bother to consider buying their games anymore, especially with their ridiculous pricing.
Hell, I even bought a Spooky, which I learned the hard way is a far worse decision!
Stern may have the worst build quality and cheap out on everything, but they create great designs, great immersion, great urgency and great suspense. Destruction jackpot in gz comes to mind.

JJP as a company has done a lot of good for pinball by raising the bar of quality in a pinball machine and added a new level of innovation when they introduced WOZ with a monitor. It was a game changer IMO.

Sadly they also hurt themself and the market with a major price increase because everyone follow suit there after.

#4247 86 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

JJP as a company has done a lot of good for pinball by raising the bar of quality in a pinball machine and added a new level of innovation when they introduced WOZ with a monitor. It was a game changer IMO.
Sadly they also hurt themself and the market with a major price increase because everyone follow suit there after.

Agreed. Their concept was/is awesome. I bought DILE to support their cause and unlicensed themes in general. Then I learned that they don't polish code or listen to thier customer base. Bummer. If they did, I'd own mostly jjp machines.

#4248 86 days ago

Don’t believe more rules equate to a better pin.
Satisfying shots on the playfield are what make Richie games fun and credit to his team for making EJ more balanced without handing MB out like Halloween candy.
Bottom line seems like most enjoy it and simply circle back to price.

#4249 86 days ago
Quoted from Vino:

Bottom line seems like most enjoy it and simply circle back to price.

Yup. I enjoy it more than Jaws, but guess which one is more likely to land in my basement.

#4250 86 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yup. I enjoy it more than Jaws, but guess which one is more likely to land in my basement.

Enjoyed Jaws pro as well. Look forward to playing a premium.
That designer is really going somewhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coos Bay, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PixelPete Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Danville, IL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Whitty Pinball Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,802 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elton-john-hype-thread/page/85?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.