• Latest reply 3 hours ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is buying Steve Ritchie's Elton John?”

• Only if it's not Elton John 28 votes
    4%
  • I'm a Steve Ritchie Fan and can't wait to see what he has done with it! 97 votes
    13%
  • I'll make up my mind after expo 79 votes
    11%
  • Please God don't be Elton John 274 votes
    37%
  • Next title please! 267 votes
    36%

(745 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220624_203254 (resized).jpg
signed at Groningen june 23, 2022 (resized).jpg
EJ-21 (resized).JPG
FF3D509F-5650-4DB8-A642-A82E7385DC49.gif
IMG_1339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9671 (resized).jpeg
EltonJohnTinyDancerBarrel (resized).png
IMG_0680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1215 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1221 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1224 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1225 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1226 (resized).jpeg
7615A093-AD92-4871-952F-7058C2126210.gif
20240122_201657 (resized).jpg
20240125_091837 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 85.
#3751 82 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here we go again lol

We're gonna go in circles forever my friend! Butting heads and annoying everyone else on the thread!

#3752 82 days ago
Quoted from Vino:

Nice pic.. high as a kite by then?

I was just about to type the same thing! Stoner picture of the century!

#3753 82 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah true. However, JJP LE’s and platinums are equivalent to a Stern LE yet cost $1k less and come with superior hardware (no Home Depot latches for example).

I know you are referring to the lockdown bar, but I must say I do love the control panel style latches that Stern uses compared to the lockdown bar mechanism that JJP uses. I thought it was quite a genius move on Stern to take a page from the video arcade / control panel hardware on how to lock it down. It feels way tighter of a lockdown bar without having to adjust and readjust the brass screws. Of course everyone has an opinion.

#3754 82 days ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I played Elton John today at CoinTaker’a Route 61 Pinbar and really enjoyed the game. I think it’s their best all around game so far.
I have disliked most of JJP’s audio packages and choices for spinners which make them sound like a slot machines . I find this one more palatable then most and much better in person than on JJP’s stream. I’ve been wanting to add a JJP back into my collection and even added a Pirates back to my collection over the summer. That didn’t take to long for me to tire of but I was hopeful of Steve Ritchie’s title. Like most I wasn’t excited about Elton John as a theme but did think the layout looked solid. The game shoots great and I saw enough that I pulled the trigger. The objectives seemed more clearly defined than the last few titles and the multiballs were earned rather than being initiated on launch. I hope to explore this game in the home environment.
[quoted image]

HAH! I came so close to beating your score but the opto got knocked out of place on the Croc Ball Lock which prevented the game from starting that mulitball.

Maybe next time...

#3755 82 days ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I know you are referring to the lockdown bar, but I must say I do love the control panel style latches that Stern uses compared to the lockdown bar mechanism that JJP uses. I thought it was quite a genius move on Stern to take a page from the video arcade / control panel hardware on how to lock it down. It feels way tighter of a lockdown bar without having to adjust and readjust the brass screws. Of course everyone has an opinion.

I agree. I much prefer sterns lockdown back latches. Easy to latch and unlatch and never have to adjust anything to get them to fit.

#3756 82 days ago

I'm in a weird spot with JJP games these days.

My pinball purchases tend to fit into one of two categories:

1. Dream theme, buy with intent to keep
2. Theme miss, buy with intent to play a while and enjoy/explore, then move it along. Because we like having new pins to dig into, especially JJPs.

Sometimes these "type 2" purchases end up becoming keepers and upgrades to CE, like Wonka Standard -> CE.

Right now, Elton John is a Type 2 purchase for me.
Godfather was also a Type 2, with the caveat that Eric's my favorite designer and I'm likely to buy everything he makes.

The problem is that these type purchases used to cost me $1000-$1500 when I moved them along, which was more than an acceptable tradeoff for the playtime.

Post price-hike it's looking more like $4K loss, which is more than I'm willing to sustain.

#3757 81 days ago

Well there is waiting and seeing if you can get better terms on any new title in the used market.

Good luck, your a big asset to have around.

Cheers

#3758 81 days ago
Quoted from Megeant:

I agree. I much prefer sterns lockdown back latches. Easy to latch and unlatch and never have to adjust anything to get them to fit.

Really? I like the JJP method better like the old BW games.

#3759 81 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

2. Theme miss, buy with intent to play a while and enjoy/explore, then move it along. Because we like having new pins to dig into, especially JJPs.
Sometimes these "type 2" purchases end up becoming keepers and upgrades to CE, like Wonka Standard -> CE.
Godfather was also a Type 2, with the caveat that Eric's my favorite designer and I'm likely to buy everything he makes.
The problem is that these type purchases used to cost me $1000-$1500 when I moved them along, which was more than an acceptable tradeoff for the playtime.
Post price-hike it's looking more like $4K loss, which is more than I'm willing to sustain.

Yeah I’m with you. I don’t play a ton with a large collection so if I put a few hundred plays and it’s lost $3k that’s not great. Same with stern les it seems unless a dream theme or Elwin pin I’m going to wait for used since there are tons produced now.

#3760 81 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Type 2 tryabetes

#3761 81 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Flip the script and buy a used HUO game in a year. You don't take the hit, but still can play and move the game if desired

#3762 81 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Flip the script and buy a used HUO game in a year. You don't take the hit, but still can play and move the game if desired

That's the current plan, I guess.

#3763 81 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Karl had some flipper issues on his stream and I saw the same thing today on the one I played. They fluttered at one point and at another lost power it seemed for a moment. I played about 10 games I think this issue only happened twice.

As someone on the stream chat pointed out, the flipper weirdness happened precisely when the Pinball Wizard lyrics said "crazy flipper fingers" - hmmmmm

#3764 81 days ago
Quoted from frobozz:

As someone on the stream chat pointed out, the flipper weirdness happened precisely when the Pinball Wizard lyrics said "crazy flipper fingers" - hmmmmm

Yeah I seem to remember that person saying that as well. I was playing that song when I tried the game out (as well as others) but I can't say for certain if that was the exact time it happened. If so, that is kinda cool!

#3765 81 days ago

Game doesn't lose power, it is sync'd with Pinball Wizard when he sings "that deaf, dumb and blind kid". The lights and monitor go dark for the word Blind.

Mike

Quoted from VisitorQ:

Karl had some flipper issues on his stream and I saw the same thing today on the one I played. They fluttered at one point and at another lost power it seemed for a moment. I played about 10 games I think this issue only happened twice.

#3766 81 days ago
Quoted from Mfox:

Game doesn't lose power, it is sync'd with Pinball Wizard when he sings "that deaf, dumb and blind kid". The lights and monitor go dark for the word Blind.
Mike

That's cool as well, I see what you are referring to but I have found the flipper spot again yet where they fluttered.

#3767 81 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

That's cool as well, I see what you are referring to but I have found the flipper spot again yet where they fluttered.

#3768 81 days ago

Right on, there ya go!

I think that is what happen in the game I played but I was probably pushing the flippers at the time which made it even more odd.

#3769 81 days ago
Quoted from beltking:

so if I put a few hundred plays and it’s lost $3k that’s not great. Same with stern les it seems unless a dream theme or Elwin pin

Was Venom listed not a dream theme?
Seems like a good pin.
If it was a keeper price is less of an issue.

#3770 80 days ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Agreed. I know it was a cost cutting measure, and when they first started doing it I was annoyed, but now I prefer the latches. I would be fine with JJP switching to the latches too.

#3771 80 days ago

Those control panel latches are lame.

#3772 80 days ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Those control panel latches are lame.

Quoted from BigSkyPinball:

Agreed. I know it was a cost cutting measure, and when they first started doing it I was annoyed, but now I prefer the latches. I would be fine with JJP switching to the latches too.

I’ve grown to not care, as at least they are always tight, and never need adjusting. That said, at least the old lever style wouldn’t let you close the coin door unless it was properly latched.

#3773 80 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Type 2 tryabetes

That made me laugh way harder than it should have. Bravo.

#3774 80 days ago
Quoted from Seraph:

That made me laugh way harder than it should have. Bravo.

Thank you, I was really sad it seemed like nobody liked my joke! I thought it was at least decent enough (aka groan inducing enough) to make Beechwood proud

#3775 79 days ago

We just streamed it. What a blast! The lightshow and sound package is unreal in person. Still learning the rules but probably the most approachable JJP game right out of the box. You have to EARN your multi-balls in this game!

#3776 79 days ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

I’ve grown to not care, as at least they are always tight, and never need adjusting.

They are not always tight. We had a couple location pins where they wore the screw hole holding them to the cab from being latched and unlatched a lot. When that happens, it SUCKS because you can't get them tight. Have to repair the wood and re-drill for the screws again.

#3777 79 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They are not always tight. We had a couple location pins where they wore the screw hole holding them to the cab from being latched and unlatched a lot. When that happens, it SUCKS because you can't get them tight. Have to repair the wood and re-drill for the screws again.

I have yet to see that happen, but it would definitely suck.

#3778 79 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thank you, I was really sad it seemed like nobody liked my joke! I thought it was at least decent enough (aka groan inducing enough) to make Beechwood proud

Tryabeetus strikes again.

#3779 79 days ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

I have yet to see that happen, but it would definitely suck.

I don't think it would be a common issue for home use, but it's definitely possible on route pins.

#3780 78 days ago

New spooky games are jam packed with features, all the assets, powdercoat and side art and all the other accoutrements plus they lowered the price. On top of that they are even more limited! I guess Spooky's are like Super CE's now.

#3781 78 days ago

Now that Spooky is focused on "flow" and Lowering Prices they are a becoming quite a powerhouse for a boutique company.

Quoted from Haymaker:

New spooky games are jam packed with features, all the assets, powdercoat and side art and all the other accoutrements plus they lowered the price. On top of that they are even more limited! I guess Spooky's are like Super CE's now.

#3782 78 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Spooky has to release limited runs on their pins and save all the extra production parts for warranty claims just to keep their piles of shit running.

#3783 78 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

for me there is value there, for around 4k more i get two loaded up spooky CE games VS 1 jjp CE.

#3784 78 days ago

Pure garbage post

Quoted from Chris25810:

Spooky has to release limited runs on their pins and save all the extra production parts for warranty claims just to keep their piles of shit running.

#3785 78 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Spooky games look cool but they come across as a bit inferior in terms of rules, hardware, animations, sound design, etc compared to what Stern and JJP are putting out. For some reason nearly all Spooky themes come across as being based off of niche level licenses. Looney Tunes however is the first of their themes that have caught my eye, will keep an eye on it.

#3786 78 days ago

I, for one, love most of the pinball companies. I even had a chance to play 20 some odd games on TS4 and have to say I didn't hate it. I hardly see your logic of saying titles like Scooby and Loony Toones are niche titles. Even Halloween is far far from a niche level title.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Spooky games look cool but they come across as inferior in terms of rules, hardware, animations, sound design, etc compared to what Stern and JJP are putting out. For some reason nearly all Spooky themes come across as being based off of niche level licenses.

#3787 78 days ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I, for one, love most of the pinball companies. I even had a chance to play 20 some odd games on TS4 and have to say I didn't hate it. I hardly see your logic of saying titles like Scooby and Loony Toones are niche titles. Even Halloween is far far form a niche level title.

Definitely keeping an eye on Looney Tunes, looks cool so far.

Would be nice to see JJP offer a new standard no extra edition of their games for $10k. Keep all the playfield features across models the same, just offer a no extra's (no topper, shaker, powder coated armor, etc) edition.

#3788 78 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Spooky games look cool but they come across as a bit inferior in terms of rules, hardware, animations, sound design, etc compared to what Stern and JJP are putting out. For some reason nearly all Spooky themes come across as being based off of niche level licenses. Looney Tunes however is the first of their themes that have caught my eye, will keep an eye on it.

i was in agreement with you about B level themes, until Scooby. code is coming along really good and fast. i like that spooky engages with us in the owners thread, they take suggestions and make changes to code as we request. is has ample LED's, ( i feel my GnR has way to much, i avoid Mr brownstone as the flashing almost blinds me like looking at the sun) . really try and get some time on a SD ( not 1-2 games at a show) its a lot of fun and the animations run smooth.

#3789 78 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Definitely keeping an eye on Looney Tunes, looks cool so far.
Would be nice to see JJP offer a new standard no extra edition of their games for $10k. Keep all the playfield features across models the same, just offer a no extra's (no topper, shaker, powder coated armor, etc) edition.

It would have to be 8 or 9k to compete within its class of stern pro's

#3790 78 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:It would have to be 8 or 9k to compete within its class of stern pro's

I just can't, please stop with that nonsense.

#3791 78 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just can't, please stop with that nonsense.

I'm just saying if a JJP costs the same as a Stern I'm probably going to be buying the Stern 9/10 times or more. Not because of any brand loyalty or anything, just because almost always, the Stern is more fun and polished. Why would anyone ever buy an even crappier version toy story 4 (for example) for the price of a stern premium? Thats why the SE model doesn't make sense. Nobody wants a stripped down Elton john for 10k, nobody is gonna buy that either. They want the platinum for around 10k, which is exactly where it should be priced. 10,500 platinum, 12,500 CE. Then Stern will be forced to lower their prices accordingly as well, as they also should.

#3792 78 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You can discuss execution, but Rick and morty is easily one of the best, if not the best and most suitable pinall theme in years.

And this is coming from an old doctor, who hadn´t even heard of the show, before the game came out.

#3793 78 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

You can discuss execution, but Rick and morty is easily one of the best, if not the best and most suitable pinall theme in years.
And this is coming from an old doctor, who hadn´t even heard of the show, before the game came out.

Honestly its the only Spooky game so far I don't absolutely hate playing. I also love TNA but that pretty much doesn't count as a spooky game. I have much higher expectations for LT/TCM

#3794 77 days ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Pure garbage post

My ultraman is built like absolute shit. Nothing lines up on the cab, drill head wear marks everywhere inside the cab, 3d printed parts, glue gun parts. It's the most poorly built pin I've ever seen, let alone owned. If that guy has experienced anything close to what I have, his post is far from "garbage."

I wouldn't want a spooky pin for half price.

#3795 77 days ago

Drill head wear marks inside the cab? Glue gun parts? Really. Okay whatever you say. You are part of a vocal minority.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

My ultraman is built like absolute shit. Nothing lines up on the cab, drill head wear marks everywhere inside the cab, 3d printed parts, glue gun parts. It's the most poorly built pin I've ever seen, let alone owned. If that guy has experienced anything close to what I have, his post is far from "garbage."
I wouldn't want a spooky pin for half price.

#3796 77 days ago
Quoted from SLRage:

You are part of a vocal minority.

Multiple owners I know who own (or have owned) HW/UM had multiple part and build issues with their games. Heard less issues for those with a scooby which is encouraging. This is simple fact. These folks may not be vocal on Pinside but will not be purchasing another spooky until they see QC improve.

#3797 77 days ago

This EJ thread is so on point

#3798 77 days ago

I agree 100%, mine have needed some adjustment but nothing major yet. Fingers crossed. These couple of posters sound old man angry with axes to grind.
This has definitely been their area of weakness but totally blown out of proportion when the values of Spooky games took a beating due to major lacking in the code department.
I really hope that many people get a chance to play the current codes in a home environment with properly playing games.

Anyway on to Elton John!

Quoted from Vino:

Multiple owners I know who own (or have owned) HW/UM had multiple part and build issues with their games. Heard less issues for those with a scooby which is encouraging. This is simple fact. These folks may not be vocal on Pinside but will not be purchasing another spooky until they see QC improve.

#3799 77 days ago

This is about Elto John music in game.I’ve heard a few people mention how they’re digging Funeral for a friend in multiball .
This is the bands best song in my opinion followed closely by Someone saved my life tonight.
Funeral cranked up on good speakers is exhilarating

#3800 76 days ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I agree 100%, mine have needed some adjustment but nothing major yet. Fingers crossed. These couple of posters sound old man angry with axes to grind.
This has definitely been their area of weakness but totally blown out of proportion when the values of Spooky games took a beating due to major lacking in the code department.
I really hope that many people get a chance to play the current codes in a home environment with properly playing games.
Anyway on to Elton John!

It doesn't matter if people are in the majority or minority. Saying people's posts are "garbage" or that people who have opinions counter to your own are "axe grinders" is fucking lame. Most of us have positive and negative opinions about every company. Get over it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Tools
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Elton John PE Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elton-john-hype-thread/page/76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.