IMG_1329 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1331 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1303 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1321 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1325 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1319 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 5 months ago

Funny you’d post this as just yesterday I played both of these for the first time as well. Went to the local distributor and they were nice enough to let me play as much as I’d like. Extra sweet that I was the only person there!

I agree with much of what has already been said. Unfortunately to me Jaws (I played the pro) felt kinda “meh”. Nothing really knocked my socks off or made me wish I was getting one. In just a couple games I was already super annoyed and tired of hearing that kid yell Shark! That gets old fast! And I don’t know why, but that left orbit shot just fell completely flat with me.

Elton John on the other hand. That thing is a BLAST! I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of playing that thing! Gorgeous, flowy, buttery shots. His music fits perfectly with pinball (most of the songs at least). But man, I just wish it weren’t so darn expensive! I get the feeling this one won’t see the same fate as TS4, not expecting to see people dumping them and losing their shirts in the process. That games looks to be a keeper! Congrats to all the people getting one!

#52 5 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Not as bad of a theme as Godfather.

Why is this? Given the demographics of pinball, Godfather would have seemed like a sure thing if you asked me.

It's an insanely popular and well-known franchise

#53 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

o sum up half-ass: I would guess anybody who pays $12k for an Elton will be happy with it. They know they are spending $12k on a pinball machine, and they'll get the "wow" factor they are paying for, and their guests/family/friends will be suitably impressed as they pretend to feign interest in your weird hobby as a courtesy.

Too true, sadly all too true.

#54 5 months ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Why is this? Given the demographics of pinball, Godfather would have seemed like a sure thing if you asked me.

Don't get me wrong, the Godfather films are decent. However, they always seemed a little dialogue-heavy coupled with somewhat slow melodic music. Really does not blend well with pinball thematically. If it had to be a mobster themed film, Goodfellas would have been 100 times better IMHO.

I am pleased to hear that Elton John is a beautiful game. But theme-wise, I would not have raised my hand in the JJP boardroom when asked if anybody thought this would be a home-run theme. In a way, it seems that the process behind the decision of picking the next theme is far from a democratic process and the person who is giving the green light to themes at JJP is probably very high up....that is the unfortunate reason JJP is batting .000 with their previous three themes.

#55 5 months ago

Some folks had asked me, here’s a photo dump of the CE I set up a few days ago.

It will be on display but the nice young lady running everything told me they’ll have it roped it off, so don’t expect to go in there and bang on it. I played a couple test games but one of the teamsters whispered in my ear In thick old school Brooklyn “hey ya might wanna knock it off da big bosses are he-ya!” I guess my skillful slap saved were attracting unwanted attention!

It really is gorgeous and the “With Love from the pinball wizard Elton John” sig is pretty sweet. The laser light show on the ceiling is goofy and outrageous. It alternates star fields, EJ logos, JJP logos, and even the old school cool Elton line drawing from the pop bumper caps.

Who’s gonna step up and buy one of these?! If you are spending $12k may as well spend 15.

IMG_0666 (resized).jpegIMG_0666 (resized).jpegIMG_0680 (resized).jpegIMG_0680 (resized).jpegIMG_1215 (resized).jpegIMG_1215 (resized).jpegIMG_1217 (resized).jpegIMG_1217 (resized).jpegIMG_1218 (resized).jpegIMG_1218 (resized).jpegIMG_1221 (resized).jpegIMG_1221 (resized).jpegIMG_1222 (resized).jpegIMG_1222 (resized).jpegIMG_1223 (resized).jpegIMG_1223 (resized).jpegIMG_1224 (resized).jpegIMG_1224 (resized).jpegIMG_1225 (resized).jpegIMG_1225 (resized).jpegIMG_1226 (resized).jpegIMG_1226 (resized).jpeg

#56 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks for the interesting photos!

#57 5 months ago

Spent the morning at my distributors place and I saw both today.

Elton is a better game, but its that damn price tag… I bought toy story le and that was the last time I will ever spend that kind of money on a machine. This is just dumb starement, but if it was under 10 I would be interested in jjp games. Toy story really affected my oppinion on that. I said never again.

Jaws (pro). I posted this elsewhere, but the amount of air balls off stand ups around the spinner was alot. Multiple shots Hitting the glass and jumping into wireforms. The spinner (for me) just sucks. It was very clunky and incorporated into a uturn shot (hate them) so I might be too critical on it, but I think a standard spinner would have been a better choice.
My biggest issue with the game was the amount of stop and go shots at both flipper return posts… It was so damn annoying how often the ball stopped on both sides. I hope its adjustable in settings??? I understand the lock for the fin shot, but it stopped so often I was like wtf am I doing wrong?
Its a good game, not great. I am buying a pro as I love jaws as a theme and hope things can be adjusted a bit more.

IMG_9877 (resized).jpegIMG_9877 (resized).jpegIMG_9878 (resized).jpegIMG_9878 (resized).jpegIMG_9879 (resized).jpegIMG_9879 (resized).jpeg
#58 5 months ago

Really great post CrazyLevi Thanks so much for sharing the pix.

Just look at that smile on Jack's face! Full circle for Jack, crowning achievement. Have to hand it to him!

Yes, I'll probably buy a Jaws Pro, nobody can make as good a game as Stern for 7k.

Yes, agreed, if you're going to spend 12k on Elton? Light the whole roof on fire with that topper and trimmings for 15! 'Whole-Ass'.

Life is short. This one's as good as it gets!

#59 5 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Funny you’d post this as just yesterday I played both of these for the first time as well. Went to the local distributor and they were nice enough to let me play as much as I’d like. Extra sweet that I was the only person there!
I agree with much of what has already been said. Unfortunately to me Jaws (I played the pro) felt kinda “meh”. Nothing really knocked my socks off or made me wish I was getting one. In just a couple games I was already super annoyed and tired of hearing that kid yell Shark! That gets old fast! And I don’t know why, but that left orbit shot just fell completely flat with me.
Elton John on the other hand. That thing is a BLAST! I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of playing that thing! Gorgeous, flowy, buttery shots. His music fits perfectly with pinball (most of the songs at least). But man, I just wish it weren’t so darn expensive! I get the feeling this one won’t see the same fate as TS4, not expecting to see people dumping them and losing their shirts in the process. That games looks to be a keeper! Congrats to all the people getting one!

Really difficult for people to just admit it.

They can’t like JJP and old man Ritchie.

EJ is miles ahead.

Just a bunch of total BS.

All pinball is expensive.

How do you justify any of it? Buy what you like

Levi, stop baiting me on that CE. It’s amazing.

#60 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It will be on display but the nice young lady running everything told me they’ll have it roped it off, so don’t expect to go in there and bang on it. I played a couple test games but one of the teamsters whispered in my ear In thick old school Brooklyn “hey ya might wanna knock it off da big bosses are he-ya!” I guess my skillful slap saved were attracting unwanted attention!
It really is gorgeous and the “With Love from the pinball wizard Elton John” sig is pretty sweet. The laser light show on the ceiling is goofy and outrageous. It alternates star fields, EJ logos, JJP logos, and even the old school cool Elton line drawing from the pop bumper caps.
Who’s gonna step up and buy one of these?! If you are spending $12k may as well spend 15.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I hope you took advantage of the face time with Jack to fulfill the pinside dream of telling him how to run a pinball company.

#61 5 months ago
Quoted from gandamack:

If it had to be a mobster themed film, Goodfellas would have been 100 times better IMHO.

Upon draining a ball, you hear, “Now go home and get your fucking shine box.”

#62 5 months ago

STERN has lost it and now JJP has their best playing game ever; FATALITY by THE KING

#63 5 months ago
Quoted from musketd:

STERN has lost it and now JJP has their best playing game ever; FATALITY by THE KING

Well for a "FATALITY" to occur people have to actually buy EJ, plenty of comments saying EJ is superior but dey ain't droppin $12K for it.

#64 5 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Well for a "FATALITY" to occur people have to actually buy EJ, plenty of comments saying EJ is superior but dey ain't droppin $12K for it.

How much is a Stern premium/LE again?

Da difference in da night and da day

Talking to a buyer of neither

#65 5 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Da difference in da night and da day
Talking to a buyer of neither

Getting both eventually, enjoy your tiddly winks LE lol.

#66 5 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Getting both eventually, enjoy your tiddly winks LE lol.

Oh I will. Both of them.

Sometimes simple tiddly winks is fine. It’s all fun

#67 5 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Around 30% less for a premium. That's quite a lot less for us non pool owners. But I haven't played either so no idea

#68 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Around 30% less for a premium. That's quite a lot less for us non pool owners. But I haven't played either so no idea

The LE is $13k. What’s a “non pool owner”

If it’s all about the $$$ then buy some old games or Spooky. Great value for the $$$ by comparison. You already do that.

I don’t see you buying either Law and def smarter for it. You know

#69 5 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The LE is $13k.

Right, but I would never buy an LE because there's no advantage over a premium; so that isn't in the equation.

Quoted from iceman44:

What’s a “non pool owner”

Someone that has a lot less spending monies than you

Quoted from iceman44:

If it’s all about the $$$ then buy some old games or Spooky. Great value for the $$$ by comparison.

Ha, Spooky games are just as much as Stern and they're nowhere near that level.
My only point is 13K is a lot more than $9,300 to a lot of folks.

No worries....Buddy's getting a Jaws Premium next month so i'll be bringing the cooler over and playing all night Will see if this ting is worth it.

#70 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right, but I would never buy an LE because there's no advantage over a premium; so that isn't in the equation.

Someone that has a lot less spending monies than you

Ha, Spooky games are just as much as Stern and they're nowhere near that level.
My only point is 13K is a lot more than $9,300 to a lot of folks.
No worries....Buddy's getting a Jaws Premium next month so i'll be bringing the cooler over and playing all night Will see if this ting is worth it.

Hope it is Law. No doubt the Stern premium is best value. I’ve been railing against the Stern LE pricing for a long time. For me, as the ultimate “theme whore”, I see very few if any NIB Stern pins for me in the future.

A cooler and any game is a good thing!

Spooky is catching up. TCM looks great. We will see

#71 5 months ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

It's just his opinion. I personally like the choice of theme and plan to pick one up. EJ, on the other hand, I have zero interest in owning. Tastes vary.

#72 5 months ago

Am i the only one that feels like when people say how good the flippers are on Elton that they are essentially saying nothing.

#73 5 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hope it is Law. No doubt the Stern premium is best value. I’ve been railing against the Stern LE pricing for a long time. For me, as the ultimate “theme whore”, I see very few if any NIB Stern pins for me in the future.
A cooler and any game is a good thing!
Spooky is catching up. TCM looks great. We will see

Wait, Ice, are you out on Jaws?
Have you played a Pro yet?
Didn’t like what you saw on the stream?

#74 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh I did notice an annoying bug on Jaws: lots of times, the shark fin drop will raise, but by the time the up posts have released the ball, the fin has timed out already and dropped. And you can't double flip out either to get a shot on it.

I think this was addressed in .84

#75 5 months ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Don't get me wrong, the Godfather films are decent.

Yeah. They’re ok. LOL

#76 5 months ago

Everyone has a different opinion. I'm a huge Ritchie fan but, I have zero interest in EJ. Theme matters alot to me. Im just not a EJ fan therefore it isnt something Id want in my gameroom. Ill play it on location or at a show. Jaws on the other hand is a dream theme. Im hoping the gameplay does it justice. From what I have seen Jaws looks promising. I am certainly excited for my Jaws to arrive.

#77 5 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I hope you took advantage of the face time with Jack to fulfill the pinside dream of telling him how to run a pinball company.

...and they are tits up !!!

#78 5 months ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Am i the only one that feels like when people say how good the flippers are on Elton that they are essentially saying nothing.

Spongy flippers has been a longstanding complaint on JJP games, going back a decade. So yeah, the fact that EJ seems to have "good flippers" isn't exactly nothing - many of us were wondering how JJP was going to pull off a Steve Ritchie game with the same ole same ole.

#79 5 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

My takeaway was: thank God they fixed jjps flippers

That same driver board is also in toy story and Godfather. All coils can be adjusted in settings, even the older games.

#80 5 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Wait, Ice, are you out on Jaws?
Have you played a Pro yet?
Didn’t like what you saw on the stream?

I’ve got the LE coming Mike. . Not out on JAWS. Believing they will make it great by 1.0 like Bond

Just comparing what I see between the two so far.

I need to stop watching streams and have some patience.

#81 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So I went to my friendly neighborhood location and put an hour or so each on Jaws pro and Elton.
These are my half-ass thoughts on the matter!
Jackbar at 3:30 is a great place to play games. Nobody is there, the games are super loud, you can hear everything, and its nice and darkish so the games all look great.
I started with Elton, as nobody was playing it while there were 4 hairy hipsters camped out on Jaws. I also set an Elton CE up at Christie's auction house this week, so I was a little bit familiar with it having played a couple test games there.
The flippers were good. The game was super fast. The overall presentation was fantastic (lights, sound, music). I still don't think I know what the center drop targets are for (besides the hurry ups) but everything else was pretty self-explanatory. I was stringing together multiballs in no time. My best score was 215 or so.
Ok, so the hipsters went outside to smoke and I got a chance to play Jaws. I will say this with all brutal honesty and sincerity; after playing a few games on Elton, and then coining up Jaws, it can't help but seem kind of pathetic. It really does not compare well going from the ridiculous overkill of Elton to the spartan, meek trappings of Jaws. The instant reaction certainly is that Jaws is kind of lame.
Now, it's certainly possible that the premium will make up some of that distance, but it was rough going straight from Elton to Jaws pro.
So anyway, I persisted with my efforts, and plunged the ball. After playing a few games of Jaws, I'll say this: It certainly seemed a lot more interesting, and I was drawn back into the game more than I was with Elton, which seemed like the usual stringing multiballs together, stacking everything etc. I love the mini-flipper and the way it moves shots around. There's 4 different shots that that little flipper asks you to make, that's pretty cool. I played it about an hour (a friend showed up too) and my best score was 600 mill.
We went back to Elton and played a couple more games but by this point I was pretty burned out and playing pretty shitty. I got 50 mill and 15 mill on the last two games of Elton and called it a night (my friend had a great final game and got 250).
My half ass thoughts are this: Elton costs twice as much, and you get what you pay for in presentation, sound, lights etc. It really is a fantastic looking game and I happen to love Elton so it all really works. The game itself is what you expect, a steve ritchie game not much different than Zep or any other ritchie you may have played recently. Fast, rocketing orbits, lots of multiballs etc.
As for Jaws, once I got past how sad it seemed in direct comparison, I did find the gameplay itself to be a lot more interesting. Elton in comparison seemed a little grindy and playing multiple games in a row was a bit tiring. They were both fun to play and were very different games. Elton is a typical Ritchie fan + upper flipper, and Jaws was an atypical fan + lower flipper. On paper it looks like a pretty unadveturous playfield but in practice it had a lot of interesting shots and ball paths
To sum up half-ass: I would guess anybody who pays $12k for an Elton will be happy with it. They know they are spending $12k on a pinball machine, and they'll get the "wow" factor they are paying for, and their guests/family/friends will be suitably impressed as they pretend to feign interest in your weird hobby as a courtesy.
Jaws is pretty much the same: it's worth $7K, in 2024 pinball parlance. There's plenty of game there and Keith continues to show he's pretty much the only sure bet in pinball design these days.
If I had a preference, I'd probably take Elton, as it would be pretty cool to have one, and yeah, Jaws comes off as another good Stern pro, of which I already own a couple. If I were buying one, I'd certainly be going the jaws route as I'm not spending 12 fucking thousand dollars on a new pinball machine.
I hope you enjoyed my half ass compare and contrast. Some day in the future I'm sure I'll have a ton more time on both games and I'll be able to be less wishy-washy and have a clear favorite, but for now this will have to do.
Will be interesting to see if Jaws premium makes up any significant ground on Elton presentation-wise, but that's a topic for another day...

Talking from both sides of you mouth...

j/k....

not really...

#82 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm starting to wonder if, despite the years of clamoring and fantasizing, a slow burn thriller wasn't really the best theme for a pinball machine.

Those movie clips may easily become real tiring over time.

#83 5 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’ve got the LE coming Mike. . Not out on JAWS. Believing they will make it great by 1.0 like Bond
Just comparing what I see between the two so far.
I need to stop watching streams and have some patience.

Finally played Bond Premie yesterday. It’s fun. I like it.

#84 5 months ago

I’m in the minority, but I love Ritchie’s Star Wars and Zeppelin games. Those are some smooooooth shooters. Steve doesn’t make bullshit games that have bad shots, in fact he was interviewed years ago saying he puts a lot of thought into each one of his shots feeling good and sounding good, the satisfaction of it is important to him.

Love love love Elwin’s outside the box designs, but even I’m questioning the execution of his fishing reel spinner on Jaws.
Feels great to hit it when it works right, but there are a lot of rejects of it hitting the wire form inside that shot, and it feels horrible when that happens.

#85 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Spongy flippers has been a longstanding complaint on JJP games, going back a decade. So yeah, the fact that EJ seems to have "good flippers" isn't exactly nothing - many of us were wondering how JJP was going to pull off a Steve Ritchie game with the same ole same ole.

I get why you brought it up, why everyone feels the need to bring it up, but people talk about the flippers of JJP like it's the reason they would or wouldn't buy the machine, when great flippers don't inherently make a game great. They now have different flippers, because the designer demanded it. Will probably go back to the previous flippers again, it's not like they kept people from buying their previous machines.

The sales of this machine will certainly not prove anything to JJP that these flippers are really what people want.

#86 5 months ago

people talk about the flippers of JJP like it's the reason they would or wouldn't buy the machine,

It is in fact by FAR the #1 reason I never even considered buying an older JJP game. But I kinda want an Elton John, shoots great. I'd even reconsider some of the older titles with a capacitor upgrade.

when great flippers don't inherently make a game great.

Of course not, but limp flippers can prevent it from being great, or even tolerable. I absolutely cannot enjoy a game with those old JJP flippers. YMMV.

#87 5 months ago

Genies out of the bottle, they ain't going back.

Quoted from yancy:

It is in fact by FAR the #1 reason I never even considered buying an older JJP game. But I kinda want an Elton John, shoots great. I'd even reconsider some of the older titles with a capacitor upgrade.

Of course not, but limp flippers can prevent it from being great, or even tolerable. I absolutely cannot enjoy a game with those old JJP flippers. YMMV.

Bad news, slings still limp

#88 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Bad news, slings still limp

Yeah, I don't love it, but can bite my lip and live with it, unlike the flippers.

#89 5 months ago

Good news, flipper fix is in!

You knew they were bad, precision flippers made them tolerable, now the upgraded capacitors changes everything.

I’m very happy now with GNR and Wonka.

#90 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...and they are tits up !!!

What do you have against tits?

#91 5 months ago
Quoted from Ribs:

Imagine a Godzilla pinball designed around the 40 minutes of stiff dialogue you had to subject yourself to in order to earn a glimpse of the monster…
I want to see and hear a family on a banana boat get ripped apart by Jaws as I hit a bunch of super jackpots and the score is pumping. I want to turn the whole playfield red, not learn how to tie knots.

The game should have been done as if the player was the shark. Most sharks can't stop moving. A much better perspective as far as I'm concerned.

#92 5 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

The game should have been done as if the player was the shark. Most sharks can't stop moving. A much better perspective as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, but unless it was Kaneda in the water, who roots for the shark?

#93 5 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

That will be an option in future code. Was mentioned at launch.

#94 5 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah, but unless it was Kaneda in the water, who roots for the shark?

#95 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

That will be an option in future code. Was mentioned at launch.

Nice! Did they mention if that option would be a mini game (like the flipper challenge on Rush)? Or a completely different code version?

#96 5 months ago

I'm interested to play Jaws soon

#97 5 months ago
Quoted from musketd:

Did you mean Fatal Portrait?

Much better, imo

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#98 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

To me their by far biggest issues have been theme choices and making their games too easy with multiball fests. Obviously elton's sellability issue isn't the flippers, it's theme and price. I personally don't love the layout but enough mediocre layouts have been huge hits. Hopefully that game by that guy that did that homebrew is something special.

#99 5 months ago

To me their by far biggest issues have been theme choices and making their games too easy with multiball fests. Obviously elton's sellability issue isn't the flippers, it's theme and price. I personally don't love the layout but enough mediocre layouts have been huge hits. Hopefully that game by that guy that did that homebrew is something special.

The multiball mysteries have been my primary beefs with the last couple JJP games as well: why did it just start and why the hell won’t it seem to end?

Could very well be I just don’t get it though… it is like the end of a soccer game, everyone else seems to understand it, but it seems strangely arbitrary to me.

#100 5 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

my primary beefs with the last couple JJP games as well: why did it just start and why the hell won’t it seem to end?

I played GF for the first time at a show (only because EJ was being played) and I was bored before the end of ball 2. I launched ball 3 and wanted to quickly drain but a multiball started and it continued to auto-plunge for well over a minute. The game would not end. I stood back with my arms crossed as the game played itself, wondering when, or if, it would finally give up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 26.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, MA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
FlipMods

$ 48.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Duke Pinball

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.