gate5.jpg
gate4.jpg
gate1.jpg
gate3.jpg
gate2.jpg
image-941.jpg
image-433.jpg
image-45.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Hi I'm looking for two plastics from a elektra pinball. I have attached a drawing of the two I am missing.

I don't think there is many left out there.

Another idea is what type of plastic does Bally pinballs used, I noticed it is kind of flexible. I haven't came across any of this plastic I'd love a few clear pieces to try and make the missing plastics.

Any ideas.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Good luck ive been looking for Elektra plastics for the last 4 years with little success lol

#3 10 years ago

I had an Elektra, the whole time I owned it I was looking for the plastics.

#4 10 years ago

Any idea if wear you can buy clear plastic and cut the shapes out.

#5 10 years ago

Cpr is going to make them someday but it seems like not anytime soon lol they have higher demand parts they are going to make first.

#6 10 years ago

the original plastic was Butyrite (spelling?)....we use PETg in the repros....

Elektra Plastic is a project I have had a few requests for (including yesterday) However, for the amount of work involved in creating the artwork for these it just wouldn't pay off in the end. We could probably sell 25 Sets at most & then be stuck with the rest for the next 20 years. We don't even break even until we sell 60-75 Sets (depending on how many colors are used).

I already have a full set of scans for these as none of the plastics on my machine are broken or scratched. I'm fairly confident that at some point I'll take on this project, but not right now....

#7 10 years ago

Its probably PETG, like this

http://www.curbellplastics.com/sign-pop/petg.html

If you can get a scan of the missing pieces, you can make a pretty good replacement (at least something to have until something better comes along).

I did this for a missing plastic and it turned out pretty well, with minimal effort. You can see the difference with the game off (see photo), but when the piece is lit up it is almost indistinguishable from the stock pieces.

Steps summarized:

1. Print on normal paper, on an inkjet printer and adjust the colors as closely as possible. Use a paper that is not too heavy, so light passes through--20 lb paper or so, but you can experiment with different weights.

2. Roughly cut out the plastic, and fine tune shape with a dremel tool. Leave ~3/16" clear 'edge' for the tape to have something to hold to (see step 3).

3. Tape the image to the underside of the plexi with clear packing tape. Trim excess tape.

4. Drill holes, install.

IMG_0511.JPGIMG_0511.JPG

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

l
If you can get a scan of the missing pieces

Stu just said he had the scans. Stu you share these, or no?

#9 10 years ago

no, sorry

#10 10 years ago

Hmm out of 3000+ machines made or so i would think it would be pretty easy to sell 100 sets or so there are requests looking for them all over the place I would buy 3 sets alone 1 to replace mine 1 extra set and 1 for restorations.
I know they would be costly etc but if enough people need/want them it might be worthwhile
perhaps a thread should be started to to see how many people would be interested.

#11 10 years ago

perhaps, but I don't believe we can sell more than 25 sets so I'm not going to spend 200 hours drawing the art....now if someone else wants to do the artwork (per my guidelines) then I will be more than happy to review the finished vector files and take a second look at making this set....anyone wanna step-up and do an art package?

#12 10 years ago

Ide do it if your willing to teach me how to make vector files .

#13 10 years ago

There used to be "how to" videos on CPRs website, but I could not find them on my phone.

#14 10 years ago

those videos need to be removed as they are no longer the way we do things....

#15 10 years ago

First you buy CorelDRAW. Then you learn the program. Then you will understand how we draw them

Quoted from Hellfire:

if your willing to teach me how to make vector files

#16 10 years ago

Good luck with Elektra plastic, it took me 7 years to find Embryon plastics piece by piece !!!
Today they are even harder to find ....

#17 10 years ago

I figured there hard to find. Stu is right with how many will buy some. They all say I want but when it comes to money.

The top is a easy one to try and replicate but the one on the right is long and has funny shapes to it. Plus it bends up and around upper play field way to hard to try. who knows one day they might get made.

I might just make some plastics clear paint them some totally different colour and just wait. The ball some times flys of and hides were the plastic should be. So I might try and chase up some of this plastic.

#18 10 years ago

I know of an Elektra with all its plastics...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-gorgar-flash-elektra-mid-atlantic-area

elektra_plastics.JPGelektra_plastics.JPG

#19 10 years ago

Dam neat upper play field. Just whip it out send it down this way

#20 10 years ago

Stu. dumb question I know, but how thick is the average plastic. I seen some on the net.

#21 10 years ago

#22 10 years ago

Cheers

#23 10 years ago

try http://www.pinballdaze.co.uk/ they say they have some on their site

#24 10 years ago

I can scan a plastic if thats needed...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I know of an Elektra with all its plastics...

I just passed one one localy for $500 becouse the top right plastic was cracked

Quoted from HPR:

Good luck with Elektra plastic, it took me 7 years to find Embryon plastics piece by piece !!!
Today they are even harder to find ....

Yeah i got lucky with my embryon it has pretty good plastics but when i get around to restoring it they prolly wont last too long with a nice slick clearcoat. another great game it seems its been getting a bit more love recently maybe we will get lucky and the demand goes up.
I hope they make vector plastics as well another great game that hasnt got enough love ive got 2 of them to restore

I wonder if perhaps a half set of elektra plastics would be more practical it seems most of the broken plastics are always on the upper pf the 3 top larger ones, the top front middle is usualy pretty burnt up and the 2 small ones between the .the others seem to not be broken very often.

#26 10 years ago

Just to let you know I had an Elektra and I contacted CPR and asked them if they planned on doing Elektra and there response was "We are currently working on Elektra plastics but we need to find a full set to fill in the pieces. We have asked on RGP with no success".

#27 10 years ago

Who was your responce from and When?....I have a Full Set of Scans already and I have all the Plastics to work with, however, as I mentioned above.....

Just FYI: I was never working on this set..........

Stu
CPR Art Director / Partner

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Just to let you know I had an Elektra and I contacted CPR and asked them if they planned on doing Elektra and there response was "We are currently working on Elektra plastics but we need to find a full set to fill in the pieces. We have asked on RGP with no success

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Who was your responce from and When?....I have a Full Set of Scans already and I have all the Plastics to work with, however, as I mentioned above.....
Just FYI: I was never working on this set..........
Stu
CPR Art Director / Partner

Oh sorry didn't read through all the responses on here. If I still have the email I will cut and paste it here. I think it was a Greg but I could be very wrong.

#29 10 years ago

there is no Greg at CPR.....

#30 10 years ago

I remember a couple years ago there was a post asking for Elektra plastics for CPR on pinball rec games but dont know who was asking for them, but dont suppose it realy matters they prolly wont be made anytime soon.

I am kinda curious though if there are rare titles like spectrum, miss world, and sexy girl stuff being reproduced how much demand was there to justify them for reproduction? Im not complaining just curious how it makes sense economicly. Reguardless Im very happy Spectrum plastics were reproduced i got a set already but arent these games like 4x 10x, and 700x production runs?

Is it set up to sell higher production high demand parts to pay the bills to allow for more rare off products from time to time?

#31 10 years ago

Burning man that would be great. Just the two I have circled. The one on the right is fairly big tho.

See how you go. Thanks. Can email me if you like

#32 10 years ago

vanhos...zap me a pm with your e-mail address and I will see what I can do. Should be able to have it over to you before the weekend. It may be a jpg if thats ok...

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

there is no Greg at CPR.....

I'll try to find the email. It was awhile ago though. I haven't had Elektra around for a fair bit of time.

#34 10 years ago

When CPR first started the "art team" they offered the new artists to work on pretty much whatever they wanted (within reason). CPR could Not "tell" the artists what titles or projects to work on as the art team were Not "employees" to be told what to do and they were doing this all for the love of their pinball machines. Well, and you can see this coming, pretty much all of the artists (including myself) chose to do projects for games in which they owned and needed repro parts for > pretty selfish, but there it is, we are all guilty of it. It also made good sence, however, in that we already had "source material" to work from and didn't need to go looking for it.

This is how stuff like the Hang Glider plastics got made, Sexy Girl, etc.....it was NEVER about getting rich...it was about making parts for "our" games that "WE" needed and here's the kicker > CPR Never set out to make parts for the general public, they made them for themselves and then decided that "hey if we make a few more of these we can sell them and 'maybe' break even & it not cost us much for our own stuff".....so they started making runs of projects and selling them to the public. CPR did not just decided one day to become a Pinball Parts manufacturer, it just kind of ended up that way. The original idea was to buy the equipment they needed to make a Fathom Playfield ( Mike needed one really bad & could never find one), and then once the project was done > sell the equipment to make their money back....Well, then along came the Centaur PF and then another, and so one.....

Mike has said it a 1,000 times: It's about making parts that we need, it's not about making money, and it's a "hobby" for us Not a business.....and when we say "we" we mean the people directly involved in the Artwork and Production....We do not let the general public or even distributors dictate what projects we are going to take on.....

We do know that the Taxi, Whirlwind, etc. projects pay the bills, but that is not as important to us as getting the parts we need for our machines > What ever the title is!

Consider this: the general public is very lucky that CPR even exists at all, and I'm very proud to be a Partner in CPR and to aid in helping other pinheads get the parts they need for their games as well.

I have a very long list of projects that are either being currently worked on or are reserved for the art team artists, but we can only produce so much in any given time frame. We will never be able to please "Everybody" with every title we release, but also consider this: For every project that we release that you don't want > 100 other people Need! This is why we do it.....

Stu

Quoted from Hellfire:

I am kinda curious though if there are rare titles like spectrum, Miss World, and sexy girl stuff being reproduced how much demand was there to justify them for reproduction?

#35 10 years ago

Cheers I have pm you. I will post a few pics of them as we'll

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

We do not let the general public or even distributors dictate what projects we are going to take on.....

And thats perfectly understandable ...but what about the other way around ... what CAN we do to help?? You have customers with all kinds of resources .. what can we do to help you and CPR achieve your goal? (.. other than art

#37 10 years ago

I see well that makes sense Stu. No worries not complaining about the other parts made was just wondering about the logic behind some of the titles that have been made that there was not seemingly much demand for recently if a certain amount of sets needed to be sold in order to produce the title was all.

#38 10 years ago

Few pics

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Few more

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 10 years ago

I would replace then metal acorn nuts yesterday if you dont want anymore of your plastics busted up, use the rubber ones instead.

#41 10 years ago

Yeah was thinking that no idea why metal ones are on there. Will have to get some. Plus 2 posts for the missing plastic at the top.

#42 10 years ago

The best the general public can do to help get more parts made is continue to provide Source Materials as we ask for them......we know is a huge burden for people <wink> to ship us NOS or very clean parts to be used as source materials, which is why we compensate with Store Credit.

Quoted from wiredoug:

And thats perfectly understandable ...but what about the other way around ... what CAN we do to help?? You have customers with all kinds of resources .. what can we do to help you and CPR achieve your goal? (.. other than art

#43 10 years ago

One thing I can't stand is broken plastics on a game....I go to great lengths to do everything I can to find them one way or another. And, as others have pointed out, this can be a major burden.

I would be more than happy to send out/scan any of the plastics I have to support the cause of Pinball restoration. For me, I love to play the games, but being a good steward of the hobby, seeing a game that was in disrepair, and bringing it back to life, (so that others can enjoy in the future) is really what makes me happy....

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

try http://www.pinballdaze.co.uk/ they say they have some on their site

Just contacted them there reply was:

I now only have one left. It is for the left hand side, and not the right!

So if some body needs one of them? He still has it. Loved to have known what he did have.

#45 10 years ago

I did find a site selling them white acorns but I carnt find it any more any suggestions

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from vanhos:

I did find a site selling them white acorns but I carnt find it any more any suggestions

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=799

or rubber

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=51

#47 10 years ago

PSPA have the nuts in Bayswater .. Go to www.pinball.co and type 'acorn' in the search

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from vanhos:

The white acorns arent much of an improvement use the rubber ones everyone sells them. the have some give and flex unlike the acorns this game should have had them originaly.

#49 10 years ago

I agree with Hellfire...I have the rubber ones and was going to go with the acorn plastic but without having any plastic protectors available..I want the pastics to float as much as they can.

One thing I noticed was there has been some warping on a few of the plastics...I had heard of putting them in the oven to flatten them out, but I am a little nervous about sticking plastics in the oven that I will never find again...

#50 10 years ago

If your confident you can use a heat gun to straiten the plastics or well the safe way and what i choose to do is the playfield glasses in the sun method seems safest and most gentle way to straiten plastics.

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elektra-plastics-brocken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.