• Latest reply 5 days ago by RandyW
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What Reproduction parts would you be interested in for Your Elektra Machine?”

• A Complete Plastics Set for your Elektra By CPR 58 votes
    29%
  • A complete New Playfields SET Including Upper, Main PF, and Bottom Bonus Playfields by CPR. 60 votes
    30%
  • Reproduction Production Backglass By CPR 29 votes
    15%
  • Reproduction of The Original Prototype BackGlass That was Censored. 51 votes
    26%

(Multiple choice - 198 votes by 121 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240401_212311 (resized).jpg
20240329_114038 (resized).jpg
20240329_113344 (resized).jpg
20240318_211852 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231222_154929 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230909_170117 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230909_154557 (resized).jpg
Elektra lower (resized).JPG
Elektra upper (resized).JPG
Electra Main (resized).JPG
Elektra score cards 2 (resized).jpg
Elektra score cards 1 (resized).jpg
DSCF8621 (resized).JPG
DSCF7359 (resized).JPG
received_3097864623853848 (resized).jpeg
received_1451838428923959 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PM_Jeremy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#365 6 years ago

Nice work!

2 weeks later
#367 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

There is a complete Elektra lower playfield on eBay right now, starting at $100, if anyone needs one. It has all of the hardware and looks to be in great shape. The auction still has four days to go.

Thanks for the heads up.

#368 6 years ago

Someone else is parting one out, several parts listed. I really want those red mini flippers but not for $100 plus s&h.

2 weeks later
#373 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone have a spare Elektra Apron they are looking to sell? Picked up an Elektra without one.
Thanks

Welcome to the club

#379 6 years ago

Yes & yes

#382 6 years ago

For the lower, after touchups I would ideally clear coat it or lay down mylar. I'm thinking the touchups will wear down quickly (but not 100% sure).

No harm in waxing the plexi...

1 week later
#398 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

I went through the ‘Game Self-Diagnostic Tests’ on page 13 of the manual. The four main flippers worked but not the two in the lower level. Lots of lights are still out so it may might be a bad board that was just ignored.

Wow, you have been busy! Great job

2 weeks later
#420 6 years ago

Welcome!

1 week later
#433 6 years ago

Nice progress!

2 weeks later
#442 6 years ago

Cool, must have been a special order coin door.

1 month later
#452 6 years ago

Impressive!

2 weeks later
#463 6 years ago

In the middle of my Elektra rebuild, decided to make a video showing the progress.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-mayhem-youtube-channel-thread/page/2#post-4248254

Enjoy
Jeremy

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

Nice YouTube video. I like the blue and clear finned posts on the lower playfield, plus the blue Titan bands. Where did you get those small white flippers for the lower playfield?

Thank you, those small white flippers were on it when I got the machine. I had to shave a bit off the new flipper bushings to get them working properly. I just looked them up to see that they are Gottlieb

BAT (resized).JPGBAT (resized).JPG

SHOE (resized).JPGSHOE (resized).JPG

#468 6 years ago

here's some more lower playfield pics for Pinmagicman to enjoy. I'm really liking how this is looking. The main playfield may get some blue posts also.
2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

Sorry to say but the blue posts do not look good, the color does not fit at all. Even the transparent ones do not look ok.
Through the blue the whole harmony is distorted. The primary colors of the playing field are red and black and yellow.
Blue is a cold color and above the playfield has only warm colors.
You should use white instead of transparent.
The blue bites the green of the target. All blue should be red. At the target possibly yellow.
Sorry, but that's my opinion.

No worries at allI appreciate the feedback.

I agree with you on the blue posts behind the green target. I will play it a bit and see how I feel about it (easy to change back).

thanks for the note
Jeremy

1 week later
#481 6 years ago

I wonder if that upper one has been used ? The holes for the drop targets appear to be a bit worn.

But hey, it still looks awesome! Thanks for the pics

#508 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Hey long-time Elektra owner here. Sold my first one missed it so much by the second one. Unfortunately my electrics been down for close to a year now and I just haven't had time to try and fix it. I have time now but I'm terrible at diagnosing machines this old. The initial problem was all of the flippers on the left side of the machine just stopped working. As I was trying to diagnose why I open the back box and was unplugging and plugging back in connectors while the machine was on. I know silly silly mistake. One of the connectors kind of sparked as I pulled it out and pushed it back in and ever since then the machine turns on and the lights come on but nothing happens no displays in the machine doesn't start up. Does anyone know what the problem could be? What other info do you guys need to help me diagnose this problem?

Ouch!

My recommendation- start at the wall plug and work your way up, checking voltages along the way. Perhaps you will get lucky and find a blown fuse.

1 week later
#521 6 years ago

3 weeks later
#531 6 years ago

Cool, thanks for the link.

1 week later
#534 5 years ago

Here's another source http://pbresource.com/lampcov.html
pbresource (resized).JPGpbresource (resized).JPG

1 week later
#538 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have a question for all the Elektra owners and those that have played the game. What do you love about the game and what would you change if you could? Not too long ago I was able to get a Bally Black Jack and with the help of a fellow pinside quench unraveled the ROM code to understand how the machine really worked. With that I was able to patch the Game ROM and change it to add a couple new tunes with the chimes and patch the code do if you lost you would lose points. It was a fun project and now I want to try something new!
Elektra is an interesting machine that I think has a lot of untapped potential. That may take some tweaks to the code and a few HW hacks to do what I think may be possible.
Instead of the bottom playfield being used when the ball drains how about when you lock a ball under special circumstances? How about a multiball with one up and one down? How about a crazy multiball with two up and the one below for three balls at once? What do you think that would do to improve the game? I'm not sure what is possible yet but if needed a larger ROM could contain extra code for more features. I'm not going to make outlandish claims that I'll get all this done but with a well defined scope I'll take a crack at it.
I'd start with a simple change and then if that is successful build on that for other enhancements.
If you have any ideas please share them here and maybe something good can happen.
Robert

Cool ideas Robert! I like locking a ball up top and starting the lowest PF - perhaps for a goal (so many times looped over the horseshoe)?

-Unless you have wiring changes, the lowest playfield can't be on at the same time as the main due to a relay.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this.

Jeremy

1 week later
#560 5 years ago

Looks nice!

2 weeks later
#590 5 years ago

Welcome to the club, the translucent targets are the coolest.

#592 5 years ago

I got mine from Bob Langelius at www.langelius.com

Here's a in progress vid I made. I have it playing now but it's not finished.

#594 5 years ago

Last nights project. This sits between the two metal ramps and replaces the plastic piece there. I'm going to print this in a few other translucent colors (red, yellow, clear) and see how they look in the game and when lit. I may end up tweaking the crystal design but I think this is a good first attempt.
I may try another version that just sits on the playfield directly behind the targets instead of sitting over them.
If this works out and looks good I will be able to make more.
Thoughts?

Neat idea! Is it designed to prevent a possible ball trap issue?

#596 5 years ago

How often does the ball get up on top of the plastic there? I may have to add more crystal spires toward the back of the piece to try and prevent that. Hadn't considered that aspect and will have to check.
I mainly made this as an option to replace a broken plastic there and have a nice crystal structure to enhance the game. I think it will look pretty cool as you hit the red targets and light them up. The whole crystal should glow.

Not often, but it only has to happen once to spoil the fun. I have had it happen on my machine a couple of times.

There is GI back there - perhaps painting the underside of the crystals silver except where the light tubes will be. That should help light things up.

#602 5 years ago

Working backwards on your msg, the caps used were total CRAP. Couldn't handle the vibration and shorted out causing many switch issues. Better that they are gone.

Relay: it should only click once when attract mode switches to lower pf. Otherwise lower pf should be dark during attract (most of the time).

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

J just picked up a example that needed some TLC but has some good potential. I am cleaning, replacing rubbers etc. and I ran into something that originally stumped me, and the more I have researched it, the more confused I am getting.
There is a very large rubber ring that, according to the including diagram that I have from Marco, which is based on the manual, it is supposed to loop around the upper playfield chamber ball. I have consulted multiple photos of the playfield, including the original flyer, and some have it, but most don't. The original manual shows a 4" ring, but doesn't show a location. How do you have yours? Is there a ring in front of the captive ball or not? Note the playfield on the flyer. It clearly shows it. Any advice would be VERY appreciated. In fact, if you do have it, a photo showing how it is routed on your machine would be epic! Thanks in advance. If you don't, an explanation as to why would be great too.

Wow, I hadn't noticed that! Here's how mine is setup
DSC04804 (resized).JPGDSC04804 (resized).JPG

The manual shows the large ring as a dotted line. It goes around the two posts and circles the ball guides that hold the captive ball. The 4 inch ring explains to me why there are 3 posts around the 5x standup target. I may toss a large ring on mine and see how it plays. It could add some more "action" to the upper playfield.

#611 5 years ago

More
Where did you get the red and blue post caps? I've only ever seen those in white or black.

Thanks, Titan pinball. You can find them under the rubber ring selection
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=52

I also am using some light blue & black on this machine (video coming soon)

Post%20Caps-800x800 (resized).jpgPost%20Caps-800x800 (resized).jpg
#618 5 years ago

The "game finished" video is posted (woot!).

It shows off the super nice translucent targets from Bob Langelius at www.langelius.com. And the neat colored post caps from Titan pinball.

Next to make is the game play vid (after I try out the 4 inch ring around the captive ball). Enjoy

Jeremy & the Pinball Mayhem team

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

*snip* The original manual shows a 4" ring, but doesn't show a location. How do you have yours? Is there a ring in front of the captive ball or not? Note the playfield on the flyer. It clearly shows it. Any advice would be VERY appreciated. In fact, if you do have it, a photo showing how it is routed on your machine would be epic! *snip*

Here you go, I changed the way mine was setup. It does appear to provide more action up top so it will stay this way. Thanks for pointing out the difference.

DSC04806 (resized).JPGDSC04806 (resized).JPG

Jeremy

1 week later
#628 5 years ago

The gameplay video is done. Let me know what you think.

Jeremy & the Pinball Mayhem crew

#632 5 years ago

Good to know. Do you have a part number for the new switches that are used with those targets?

I was lucky, all the switches on mine were screwed together. 1/2 of them needed different spacers, backers, switch blades to work properly. I have an assortment of that stuff from other repairs. If you have some old switch parts - you could always drill out the rivets and bolt them together.

Jeremy

#633 5 years ago

Nice! I think I'm going to need to order some of those see through targets soon. Thanks for sharing the video.
Robert

Thank you for the feedback.

Jeremy

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Love it. Great second ball especially. Good to see I am not the only one that can have a house ball on #3 that makes you want to put your head through the glass.
Question, I noticed on yours, and hell, it may be everyones, that the geometry may be slightly different in regards to the right flipper on the upper playfield. My flipper stops considerably short of that upper right drain. So much so, that if a ball is slowly rolling off the metal one way guide to the drain, I have no chance to hit it. Yours seems to cover that gap better. Is this just my imagination? Is my game the one that is different than standard or is something modified on yours?
Great video. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for the great feedback!

I noticed there might have been a production change on the top right flipper - as if you look top down the flipper doesn't align with the top plastic. My flipper rests against a ball guide type of rail. I think when first designed it was meant to rest against a post that sat in further.

I will get a photo of this soon.

Jeremy

#641 5 years ago

Spent a little time working on Elektra this weekend and it is playing well now. Fixed a couple switches (one left to do) an replaced 6 lamp sockets. Two sockets were broken and 4 were #44/47 type. Now it has all the correct lamp sockets. Started installing a 470ohm resistor ac each lamp socket with an LED so the original boards work well.
Now with all the correct sockets I have all three LED's under the 3D crystal structure and each target now lights up a crystal. Very nice mod to the machine that just bolts on in place of the plastic.

What are you using for lamp sockets? can you post a picture or a link?

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

*snip* that the geometry may be slightly different in regards to the right flipper on the upper playfield. My flipper stops considerably short of that upper right drain. So much so, that if a ball is slowly rolling off the metal one way guide to the drain, I have no chance to hit it. Yours seems to cover that gap better. *snip*

i've uploaded a photo showing how mine appears to be different then what was first designed. See where the artwork on the plastic has the flipper tucked in more? And there's also a screw hole in the plastic where there would have been a screw post. Not sure why this was changed but there isn't a hole in my pf for a screw post.

Take a photo and show us how your flipper looks. You could try adjusting the flipper bat position.

Jeremy

DSC04808 (resized).JPGDSC04808 (resized).JPG
#647 5 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Something is wrong with those flips because the ball can't go up the ramp freely... it should be under the plastic.....

You are correct about the ball not going up on the RH side of that ramp. But that is how the factory setup the flipper stop (wire form). At least there are three other ramps that don't have any obstructions

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I don’t think the hole in the plastic is for a post. The hole at the end of the slot is a way to reduce the stress concentration at the end of the slot and keep the slot from cracking further into the plastic.
That said, I do believe my game has the flipper tucked in further to match the art on the plastic. But I cannot check as it is in storage.

Yep, good catch SDTMinSTL & BobLangelius on the relief hole.

Hmm, with the top RH flipper position issue - we might have an Elektra "Flipper gate" on our hands

3 months later
#671 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

In the club! Found a nice one locally, claimed single owner since new. A single owner at the beach. So a bit of surface rust and cabinet fade but a lovely playfield and backglass The worst, I’d say, is the mpu. It was heavily corroded so the guy’s tech dumped it.
I replaced the female mpu connectors and have an Altek in there now. She has no sound/speech (for now) and a few other issues to iron out but I’ll know more about that later.
I think knowing the correct mpu dipswitch settings would help me. Does anyone have a snapshot of their mpu dip switch settings I can use as a baseline?
Thanks! I look forward to reading all the club posts over the next few nights and taking lots of notes!
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club

20180306_191901 (resized).jpg20180306_191901 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#678 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Got to work and here’s the after...shopped with orange Titan rubbers, LEDs, waxed upper and lower PF’s; added Bally coin door insert, translucent blue flips on main PF, a chromed shooter rod and shooter plate, polished the hell out of the coin door, switched the legs to refurbed chrome ones I had.
Cab is definitely nice on this one...no fade. Just have a couple bulb sockets to tweek that should be perfect.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great and tastefully done

I love my Elektra. It seems to be especially popular with non pinheads.

1 week later
#683 5 years ago
Quoted from pfcjimmy:

Has anyone replaced the lining under the playfield for the lower playfield window? I was thinking this would work but wanted to see if someone else has already done this.
Neoprene Foam Weather Seal High Density Stripping with Adhesive Backing 1/2 Inch Wide 1/8 Inch Thick 50 Feet Long amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

That should work fine.

I removed mine as the original was shrinking. Behind the black strip the blue edge wraps around. To me that looked just as good or better than the black foam.

4 weeks later
#705 5 years ago

There's Pinball Resource also http://www.pbresource.com/lampcov.html
1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

#707 5 years ago

All the balls should be the same size. I don't think your lower flippers are longer than the originals - you are missing the rubber though. After a few months of playing mine I have changed the lower playfield to switch off after the timer expires. It changes the way you play the main game also.

3 weeks later
#713 5 years ago

Nice improvement!

1 week later
#716 5 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

Got the new CPR topper today
[quoted image]

Neat, thanks for the pic - had to check it out after seeing yours.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-toppers/elektra/

2 months later
#724 4 years ago

Congrats

2 weeks later
#726 4 years ago

Nice idea!

2 months later
#732 4 years ago

Nice!

5 months later
#760 4 years ago

Check/replace the caps across the switches - the originals short very easily and cause all sorts of issues.

#762 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

Guys
Fuse has blown under the playfield. The fuse near the main flippers.
I think I am reading it as a 5amp 32 volt 311 fuse but cannot find an alternative.
What should I be using as this has taken down my Solenoids.
TIA

The book lists it as a 1 amp slow blow. My game has a 4 amp in it.

5 months later
#780 3 years ago

Good update

Quoted from koji:

Thank you - Just an update, I finally was able to put some work on this again and have the S&T all fixed up.
In case it helps someone else, my symptom was a lot of static and no sound effects ( Background sound and voice did work)
---
Replacing the U14 LM3900 opamp resolved the static, afterwhich I could hear the sound effects, only they were very faint, and much too quiet in comparison to the other sound features.
At this point, although all the capacitors discharged properly, I figured I would try replacing the 2x 2uf caps, with a couple of 2.2uf /50v that I had on hand, and thankfully this did the trick. Sounds great.
-------
My next point for attention are these mini-flippers on the lower PF. I gather from some research that these are in fact unobtanium.
To that end, I was wondering what people are using as replacements? Mine seems to have 60s 2" EM flipper bats . (don't get me wrong, I love my 60s EMs, but clearly this is wrong).
I was also wondering if anyone had tried to get any 3D printed? It occurred to me that although 3D printing would not look quite as smooth, it could be an option to realistically get transparent RED mini flippers that would look pretty close to the original.
(I'm game to try to build a model, but if anyone has any exact dimentions and scans to work from, that might get me started).
Thank you-

Good update

2 months later
#794 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I haven't looked super close yet but... on the clear plastic that covers the main playfield... would it be much of a problem to remove it for cleaning?

Everything that's on top of the lower playfield has to be removed. It really depends on how far you want to go

20180221_200551 (resized).jpg20180221_200551 (resized).jpg
#796 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Once removed, how well did it clean up?
Or, did you make a new one?

It cleaned up good enough with Novus. You could also polish it with a hand held buffer and different grades of automotive polishing compound.

1 week later
#798 3 years ago

From what I have read, the red flippers are correct. They are also shorter. I don't believe they are currently produced

1 month later
#805 3 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Happy to be part of the Elektra club! I picked one up yesterday for cheap. Only took a couple hours and it’s up and going!

Congrats!

3 months later
#816 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

A few pictures as promised, this is going to be a real enjoyable game for me, has a lot going for it. Machine is in great shape, back glass is in excellent condition and the upper Playfield shows almost no ware. One broken plastic and some minor wear on the front of the head but overall a really solid machine.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats on the purchase. I love mine and love to stream it on YouTube and Twitch

Also think about changing out the targets for translucent ones (the kind this machine originally came with). They really improve the look - but they can be a hassle to put in.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#820 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

(snip) are the lollipops on the lower play field the same length as the middle Playfield?

Yes, except they are yellow (with 1 green in the middle for 2x) - same switches and targets as main and upper pf.

#822 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

And So It Begins, just got off the phone with Steve at PBR and have a new set of stand ups on the way. Also a number of goodies from comet, can't wait to play with some lighting options with this one.
Next question, does that weird piece of weather-strip like material gasket that borders the lower play field serve an actual purpose. Mine's deteriorated pretty bad.I will certainly remove it but not sure if I want to replace it.

Nice!

The piece of weatherstrip is just cosmetic. It dresses up the rough edge of main playfield. I used some weatherstrip material on mine.

#825 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Well that didn't take as long as I would have thought, I've had the machine less than a week and ran nto its first snag. Lost all power to all flippers the machine still boots and has sound and all the lights. Smelled a little electrical cooking from the cabinet. I checked the boards no obvious damage visually and Visually inspected the fuses and all look good. I'm new to this title, curious if anyone has had similar symptoms in the past or an idea of what I might want to look at first too breathe life back into it.

Break out the multimeter and go over the power supply board to check for voltages. I don't have the specifics so look at the schematics or find an article/website that shows troubleshooting. - good luck on the repairs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PM_Jeremy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elektra-owners-club-fans-also-welcome?tu=PM_Jeremy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.