• Latest reply 14 days ago by ScottyBud
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What Reproduction parts would you be interested in for Your Elektra Machine?”

• A Complete Plastics Set for your Elektra By CPR 48 votes
    29%
  • A complete New Playfields SET Including Upper, Main PF, and Bottom Bonus Playfields by CPR. 54 votes
    33%
  • Reproduction Production Backglass By CPR 22 votes
    13%
  • Reproduction of The Original Prototype BackGlass That was Censored. 39 votes
    24%

(Multiple choice - 163 votes by 97 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 313 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200623_163641 (resized).jpg
20200522_141537 (resized).jpg
7914310F-D396-41C3-8581-B4CCE011B927 (resized).jpeg
ED4E0A0F-87AF-43F2-8C2E-595B2E3F8EE2 (resized).jpeg
DD8C9DCC-CFDA-403E-B3A1-308E3658016E (resized).jpeg
8E25103E-C217-442F-A176-161F7F6E7BF2 (resized).jpeg
AA92E748-5D45-47F5-AB0A-5FDECFCF8467 (resized).jpeg
54B4F05A-D5A7-4753-904F-363013314BAB (resized).jpeg
094EF341-16FE-4FA3-BEDF-CD4A91C9233D (resized).jpeg
1C027398-2206-44E0-B34E-02C4EBD0410A (resized).jpeg
7A60D292-8C8C-455E-B64D-155031AE27E5 (resized).jpeg
B3A5F955-B84F-49D5-A2D7-B0AEB44581D3 (resized).jpeg
D598D048-86B7-40B7-A8F3-4F5AEE60DA2C (resized).jpeg
93840983-FEBE-44C4-A5CD-EB0A1352DD73 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20200109-WA0011 (resized).jpeg
8CEF0700-449D-45B4-B3F2-1EEFB7E4AD7D (resized).jpeg

There are 778 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.
#351 3 years ago
Quoted from PJKools:

What type/brand of rust remover did you soak the lockdown bar in?

I used Evaporust in a 3" diameter PVC pipe soaking setup. It worked amazingly well. There is another forum thread about the cult of Evaporust that helped me a lot.

#352 3 years ago

Thanks...I'll look her up

3 weeks later
#353 3 years ago

I'm cleaning the lower playfield with Scrubbing Bubbles and Q-tips. First I removed both flippers and carefully cleaned them. The red rubber bands had rotted off and stuck in places to the plastic flippers so I scraped them off and cleaned all of the plastic flipper part with Novus 2. All of the coils in the machine match the manual's specs and the flippers look to be in decent condition.
The flippers on the lower playfield are missing the three backing lock nuts each. What size nuts will I need and who can I order them from? Likely the other flippers are in the same condition so I will buy extras.
The previous operator also put two oversized flat head screws in the top of the left bracket on the lower playfield. One came through the playfield about 1/16" and the other left a small dent. Also, the big eyelet screw that holds the cable which supports the lower playfield was overtightened and started to push through the playfield too.
The lower playfield has plenty of dirt, ball swirls and minor planking. I will see how well it cleans up and will likely just wax it instead of overcleaning to try to restore it to vibrant colors. (I'm watching reruns of Miami Vice and cleaning it slowly and carefully).
I had begun cleaning with naptha and Q-tips but it wasn't removing much dirt, so I switched to Scrubbing Bubbles, which worked great.

#354 3 years ago

Tonight I was cleaning the lower playfield with Scrubbing Bubbles and a Magic Eraser. It was slow, but the ball swirls are disappearing. I finished about a third of it so far. The planking is mostly on the left side so I haven't rubbed too hard over there yet.

#355 3 years ago

HI!!!!

New member of the club here.

Just got my Elektra yesterday, sadly I can't play, it resets everytime when I hit the center target or one on the top playfield :/

I only missing one plastic, top left corner one, I'm searching for it but not lucky.

I will try to fix it, I really NEED to play it hahahahaha.

1 week later
#356 3 years ago

Just picked up an Elektra this week, everything looks in great shape except is was missing the backglass.

Anyone have a backglass for sale or leads on where i could find one?

Thanks

1 week later
#357 2 years ago

Anyone know what this button under the playfield does? Mine is broken off, anyone know where I can find a replacement.

Thanks

Joe

Elektra-1A (resized).jpg

#358 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone know what this button under the playfield does?

That button allows you to test the solenoid expander manually which switches between the main and lower flippers. Unsure where you can get that exact button but any generic button/switch would work testing purposes if you want it.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone know what this button under the playfield does? Mine is broken off, anyone know where I can find a replacement.
Thanks
Joe

You can get those for a dollar through Pinball Resource...I stocked up in them as they break easy.

1 month later
#360 2 years ago

Elektra (resized).png

1 month later
#361 2 years ago

Finally got the lower playfield touched up by using Createx airbrush paints and very fine brushes. I'll let it cure for a month while I work on the upper playfield, which is badly worn and I cannot even hope to restore at this time. Both will be waxed and then repopulated before moving on to fix the electronics. Hopefully, if I keep the two small playfields waxed and clean, it will play well and not plank again. As for the chrome ramps, they are as clean as I can get them by hand polishing and I have not set up the power buffer. I don't have a good place to set it up because I live in an apartment and don't have a shop or garage to work in. Plus, I don't want to damage them because I don't have replacements available at all. They can be taken off and polished one at a time by myself, or someone else, if I decide to sell the machine at a later date. This restoration has taken much longer than I had planned because I decided to paint the lower playfield and I am busy with orher things. I know that people may cringe at the hand painting route, but they are watercolor paints that can easily be removed later if someone wants to airbrush and then seal the surface correctly.

IMG_1309 (resized).JPG

IMG_1311 (resized).JPG

#362 2 years ago

Looking good!

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

I know that people may cringe at the hand painting route

Not me. Nice work, that looks great!

#364 2 years ago

Yes, it sure does look good. Not every game has to be CQ.

#365 2 years ago

Nice work!

2 weeks later
#366 2 years ago

There is a complete Elektra lower playfield on eBay right now, starting at $100, if anyone needs one. It has all of the hardware and looks to be in great shape. The auction still has four days to go.

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

There is a complete Elektra lower playfield on eBay right now, starting at $100, if anyone needs one. It has all of the hardware and looks to be in great shape. The auction still has four days to go.

Thanks for the heads up.

#368 2 years ago

Someone else is parting one out, several parts listed. I really want those red mini flippers but not for $100 plus s&h.

#369 2 years ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

Someone else is parting one out, several parts listed. I really want those red mini flippers but not for $100 plus s&h.

Not to mention the shipping charge.... Guy wants insane amount of shipping.

#370 2 years ago

The description on eBay says the lower playfield came out of a fully functional game, so maybe the guy used the rest of the machine to design a custom game, and just deleted the 'basement' feature. The other parts listed are from another seller in Alabama and have been listed on eBay for months. I imagine someone will buy this whole playfield, but if not, the seller may part it out if you ask after the sale ends.

#371 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

Anyone here get this?
If you bought it for the flippers, I want the lower playfield.
If you want the Ebay playfield, your old one might still be better than what I have.

2 weeks later
#372 2 years ago

Anyone have a spare Elektra Apron they are looking to sell? Picked up an Elektra without one.

Thanks

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone have a spare Elektra Apron they are looking to sell? Picked up an Elektra without one.
Thanks

Welcome to the club

#374 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Thanks

Search on this forum for the thread "Reproduction Aprons by brenna98." Apparently he is making high quality reproduction aprons, but I haven't been following the thread or ordered one. Good luck!

#375 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

Search on this forum for the thread "Reproduction Aprons by brenna98." Apparently he is making high quality reproduction aprons, but I haven't been following the thread or ordered one. Good luck!

I reached out to him and got on the list, but no idea when they will be made.

#376 2 years ago

If anyone else is interested in a new apron/shooter, please let me know. The names on my Elektra tab in my spreadsheet are sparse.
It is feasible to make them, as the metal tooling is practically the same as Fathom, except Elektra doesn't have the through mech cut-out.

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

If anyone else is interested in a new apron/shooter, please let me know. The names on my Elektra tab in my spreadsheet are sparse.
It is feasible to make them, as the metal tooling is practically the same as Fathom, except Elektra doesn't have the through mech cut-out.

Already reached out in other thread, but just in case add me to the list.

#378 2 years ago

Could someone tell me what this bent switch does? It seems to have something to do with the ball return mechanism. I just noticed that it is bent and not sticking up through the cutout in the main playfield. Should I remove it and bend it back into shape?

F6FAB492-FF1D-43CB-A9A3-28B3B195DDF3 (resized).jpeg

#379 2 years ago

Yes & yes

#380 2 years ago

Thanks cad-kid. I fixed it. The hand painted lower playfield was showing some brush strokes under the bright worklights, so I lightly sanded those areas. Here is how it looked before sanding. I can still see some minor flaws, but most will probably disappear when I wax it.

322CF7D7-718C-4810-B78B-D00B9D3BA983 (resized).jpeg

31B2087A-93FC-4A46-B3C1-E2C5E9501CCF (resized).jpeg

#381 2 years ago

Waxing the lower playfield made it very slick but it is a bit rough and not as slick in some areas that I hand painted and didn’t sand as much. One such area is the center of the rear loop. I could remove the wax and sand it down but I think I’ll just play it to see if it wears first.
After repopulating the lower playfield, next I will clean and wax the upper playfield, which is badly worn. But should I wax the main plexiglass playfield too? It might make it very slick and prevent wear. What have you guys done? Inquiring minds want to know...or at least I do. This caranuba wax is amazing stuff!

#382 2 years ago

For the lower, after touchups I would ideally clear coat it or lay down mylar. I'm thinking the touchups will wear down quickly (but not 100% sure).

No harm in waxing the plexi...

#383 2 years ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

For the lower, after touchups I would ideally clear coat it or lay down mylar. I'm thinking the touchups will wear down quickly (but not 100% sure).
No harm in waxing the plexi...

This is the first machine I have ever owned or worked on. I didn’t want to take all of the electronics off of the lower playfield to clear coat it and know nothing about applying mylar sheets. I have read that you can apply mylar over waxed areas for protection and easy removal, but would likely need one big piece to cover the lower playfield area. Plus, there are no ops in my area to help me. I bought the machine to play because our local ops sold off their games and got out of the business. The nearest new games are over a hundred miles away and we have 3-4 old ones on routes in town now and none are being repaired.

But I do appreciate the help. I just repopulated the lower playfield last night and fixed the flippers too. I waxed the chrome on the rear loop before reinstalling it. And waxing the plexi sounds like a good idea. I’ll keep a close eye on the lower playfield for wear and protect it with wax for now. The loop’s paint in the back will likely wear first and will be easy to touch up with red paint again, if need be. I put the old plastic pieces back on and new bands. I have a new set of plastics too, but I’ll see how it plays first with the old ones, which I flattened on a cookie sheet with a heat gun.

B8055008-815B-4079-9772-43C7B01B83FD (resized).jpeg

#384 2 years ago

I also put foam on the back of the targets on the lower playfield last night. I bought some from Titan Pinball and it was just the right size. Some of the contacts might have to be adjusted to make better contacts later, so I’ll have to test them by hand and learn how to adjust them. I’ll add the same foam to the upper playfield’s targets too. My friend’s Cyclone has lots of airballs hit the glass despite adjusting the flipper bands, and I hope to minimize airballs on Elektra, starting with this foam. That might help the plastics last longer too.

I stripped the paint off of both spinners because they were badly worn, but now wish I had just left them original. I have the new decals for them, which I could have just pasted on over the worn images. Now I need to paint them again from bare metal.

1 week later
#385 2 years ago

I finally got it all cleaned up and mostly put together. I even removed the apron and cleaned it and the parts underneath it. The plastics were left off in case I had more bulbs to change. The new rectifier board is installed too.

When I plugged it in yesterday and powered it up not much happened. As you can see, about half of the backglass lights came on and some bulbs inside the coin door. So I turned it off and replaced the bulbs that weren’t lit, since I have lots of new 555s. I turned the volume up from the coin door switch to make a slight hum. When powering up it makes a small beep and the ball ejectors from both multiball holes cycle. The top left red arrow on the lower playfield came on last night but is now off, along with all other playfield lights.

I got out the manual to begin trouble-shooting it and found out that the self test button inside the cash door is broken off and needs to be replaced. The bands kit had poor instructions and is missing some bands, so I need to order those too. Hopefully putting a self test button in it won’t reveal a bad MPU board, but I hope that I can get it running without it being too expensive. Still, I’m optimistic. Since only the single player and Elektra credit displays are lit, maybe it broke down in that mode. It looks much better cleaned up and I am getting more comfortable working on it. The same lights lit up as when I first bought it so replacing the scorched rectifier with a new one probably didn’t change much, but it’s one less piece to the puzzle.

F7923AAF-36FC-4F15-A627-8EE2745008AB (resized).jpeg

80A946EC-C951-40E7-A271-31491AED09EC (resized).jpeg

2F2F37CD-1060-4084-A6B9-CBF3233FCEC4 (resized).jpeg

#386 2 years ago

OK, so I’ve been reading the manual and the forum to trying to figure this out. I had loaded both balls by just throwing them into the trough between the flippers, but read to load one by the ‘outhole.’ I fished one out of the trough and put it in by the plunger. When I turned it on, it said “You have been exposed to Elektra’s radiation. Will you return?” A bunch of lights came on in the playfield, but lots were burned out. I held both flippers down and the lower playfield lit up. Again lots of bulbs were burned out. The left top red arrow came on a flashed, but made a fizzled noise and faded out again. Might just be a bad connection. Lots of bulbs on the backglass area were now flashing too. It’s a big improvement, and really made my day. Now I need to unplug it and change a few bulbs. It still won’t start a game yet, but that’s OK.

#387 2 years ago

I replaced several bulbs on the lower playfield with new ones, until I ran out of bulbs. But some of the ones I replaced still had intact filaments, so I saved all of them in a baggie. When I powered back up, some of the replaced bulbs worked and some that previously worked didn’t.

I took a close overhead look at the self test button on the cash door and saw that the red button was missin but I could see a white plastic knob inside the housing. I tapped it with the end of a bamboo skewer and it worked. The backglass showed different numbers in all for score displays, lights flashed and sounds worked. With the cash door open I triggered the slam tilt and regular tilt switch, both of which gave me vocal messages. I’ll get out the manual tomorrow and see what those codes meant.

Could someone steer me towards a self test button online, such as at Marco, Big Daddy or elsewhere?

Also, any ideas why some bulbs work and some don’t? Is it a board, connectors or something else?

8C3BC2A8-176E-4CDB-945F-DBBC39FD47FA (resized).jpeg

#388 2 years ago

Just make sure you have two balls in the outhole/trough area, one ball in the lower playfield, and one up in the upper right section, the multiplayer area. Good luck. I did a ton of restoring on mine and it is an exciting moment to finally hear that machine fire up and play, as mine wasn't working either when I first bought it.

#389 2 years ago

Regarding your lights, you might have bad contacts, or contacts not touching the bulbs...hence, some working/not working. Otherwise, your playfield board could have bad components causing that inside as well.

Do you have a digital multi meter?

#390 2 years ago

Yes, I bought a good meter but have never ever used one. I think I’ll wiggle some of the big plastic connectors on the wiring first, as they are all original. I haven’t opened the area behind the backglass yet and was just happy it didn’t burst into flames when I started it up. The coin slots won’t accept quarters to buy a game and I have yet to figure out how to set up free play, but I will. None of the flippers work yet either.

#391 2 years ago

I went through the ‘Game Self-Diagnostic Tests’ on page 13 of the manual. The four main flippers worked but not the two in the lower level. Lots of lights are still out so it may might be a bad board that was just ignored.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

I went through the ‘Game Self-Diagnostic Tests’ on page 13 of the manual. The four main flippers worked but not the two in the lower level. Lots of lights are still out so it may might be a bad board that was just ignored.

There is a small switch underneath your playfield that is the test switch for those lower flippers, if you don't have it, they won't work. Or, you have a bad solenoid expander, next to small switch, to left. Second, free play is a setting in the diagnostic tests....

#393 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

There is a small switch underneath your playfield that is the test switch for those lower flippers, if you don't have it, they won't work. Or, you have a bad solenoid expander, next to small switch, to left. Second, free play is a setting in the diagnostic tests....

There is also a bulb under the playfield that is part of the solenoid expander circuit that I believe needs to be functioning for the lower flippers to work as well. Correct me if I’m wrong.

#394 2 years ago

Does anyone have the ability to do a playfield scan of the upper and lower playfields? I reached out to Frank at Playfield Protectors and he said he could make them if he was provided with the scans.

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

There is also a bulb under the playfield that is part of the solenoid expander circuit that I believe needs to be functioning for the lower flippers to work as well. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes, you are correct, but it generally can not be an LED bulb, as some don't work unless a incandescent is in that spot.

#396 2 years ago

If you need switches, pinball resource is a great alternative to Marco. He had them for like a 1.00 each. I bought like 5 as back ups.

#397 2 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Does anyone have the ability to do a playfield scan of the upper and lower playfields? I reached out to Frank at Playfield Protectors and he said he could make them if he was provided with the scans.

Playfields or protectors?

#398 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinmagicman:

Wow, you have been busy! Great job

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Playfields or protectors?

Playfields. I would like to install a lexan protector to the upper and lower playfields.

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Playfields. I would like to install a lexan protector to the upper and lower playfields.

have them cleared!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 90.00
There are 778 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside