• Latest reply 7 days ago by RandyW
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What Reproduction parts would you be interested in for Your Elektra Machine?”

• A Complete Plastics Set for your Elektra By CPR 58 votes
    29%
  • A complete New Playfields SET Including Upper, Main PF, and Bottom Bonus Playfields by CPR. 60 votes
    30%
  • Reproduction Production Backglass By CPR 29 votes
    15%
  • Reproduction of The Original Prototype BackGlass That was Censored. 51 votes
    26%

(Multiple choice - 198 votes by 121 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240401_212311 (resized).jpg
20240329_114038 (resized).jpg
20240329_113344 (resized).jpg
20240318_211852 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231222_154929 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230909_170117 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230909_154557 (resized).jpg
Elektra lower (resized).JPG
Elektra upper (resized).JPG
Electra Main (resized).JPG
Elektra score cards 2 (resized).jpg
Elektra score cards 1 (resized).jpg
DSCF8621 (resized).JPG
DSCF7359 (resized).JPG
received_3097864623853848 (resized).jpeg
received_1451838428923959 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 22.
#901 2 years ago

Here’s my upper and lower held up pretty good over the years.

2203DB77-76E6-44B5-9F65-FA7F972066BB (resized).jpeg2203DB77-76E6-44B5-9F65-FA7F972066BB (resized).jpeg33FD1C2C-B630-40CB-BF44-5AF0EF7FA7CA (resized).jpeg33FD1C2C-B630-40CB-BF44-5AF0EF7FA7CA (resized).jpeg5C242401-079B-4FC7-876F-E51405FEBC57 (resized).jpeg5C242401-079B-4FC7-876F-E51405FEBC57 (resized).jpeg9F62D42B-5C73-4669-9D7F-CBC502D51ADC (resized).jpeg9F62D42B-5C73-4669-9D7F-CBC502D51ADC (resized).jpeg
#902 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Exactly my point. I installed a CPR space shuttle playfield and also did a Space Shuttle hardtop. Had them next to each other for 6 months. The hardtop played better but just wasn’t the same as playing on a playfield. I did not like it and I have never played a hardtop game that played better than a worn down original. I don’t really care what a playfield looks like, I care how it plays. So those are my personal preferences. If a hardtop is the only option, I would rather play a beat down original, as long as it’s inserts are flat.

Well I think Elektra is a unique PF being three levels with the middle level already covered by a plexiglass cover.
For a restorer like me the end result looks of the machine are at least as important as comparable ball roll versus Mylar or clear coat. Also I have never seen a 35+ year old PF with totally flat inserts.
I do not think a Mylar covered PF plays significantly different from a HT PF.
I personally cannot tell the difference. I prefer HT over Mylar.
For me the playability of HT is as close to clear coat as you get, but HT is a more durable surface for pinball IMHO.
I respect your opinion about playability and many serious players have the same, but I really like the HT technology and I believe it is an improvement as a Pinball play field surface.

#903 2 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Here’s my upper and lower held up pretty good over the years.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks amazing and wish mine looked like that. I’d just wax and play it as is.

Really looking forward to the hardtop for this title . I have an extra basement playfield that is rougher than the one in my game now. That will get the hardtop along with the totally trashed upper that is in my game now. Will refresh the whole game and I’ll finally have an overall nice machine since I have all the rest of the parts ready to go.

I had always been looking at updating the code for Elektra after I redid the code for an earlier Bally Blackjack to update the rules on that. Instead of patching the 6800 code I have been working on code based on the Bally/Stern OS which is an easier patch with more options. I’ve been working on a different game with it but once this hardtop comes out and my Elektra is refreshed the updated code will probably be my next obsession.

#904 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

That looks amazing and wish mine looked like that. I’d just wax and play it as is.
Really looking forward to the hardtop for this title . I have an extra basement playfield that is rougher than the one in my game now. That will get the hardtop along with the totally trashed upper that is in my game now. Will refresh the whole game and I’ll finally have an overall nice machine since I have all the rest of the parts ready to go.
I had always been looking at updating the code for Elektra after I redid the code for an earlier Bally Blackjack to update the rules on that. Instead of patching the 6800 code I have been working on code based on the Bally/Stern OS which is an easier patch with more options. I’ve been working on a different game with it but once this hardtop comes out and my Elektra is refreshed the updated code will probably be my next obsession.

Sounds neat. What are you thinking about changing with the code? It’s a very challenging game as it is.

#905 2 years ago

Elektra is refreshed the updated code will probably be my next obsession.

Really like the Idea of some new code for Electra. I have a vector that someone updated code for and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on those ROMs. Electra is already a fun game but it would be nice to have some sort of reward or jackpot award to shoot for once you achieve multiball. Just food for thought. Good luck on the hardtop install, I know you've been lobbying outside edge for this title for some time now.
Oh yeah, here's a quick pic of my bally button. It's a glass cabochon with elektra theamed artwork. Really pops when it's backlit.

IMG_20220129_094512168 (resized).jpgIMG_20220129_094512168 (resized).jpg
#906 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Really like the Idea of some new code for Electra. I have a vector that someone updated code for and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on those ROMs. Electra is already a fun game but it would be nice to have some sort of reward or jackpot award to shoot for once you achieve multiball. Just food for thought. Good luck on the hardtop install, I know you've been lobbying outside edge for this title for some time now.
Oh yeah, here's a quick pic of my bally button. It's a glass cabochon with elektra theamed artwork. Really pops when it's backlit.
[quoted image]

Not just additional rewards but add it as some risk/reward like I did in Black Jack. If you do well you will be rewarded. If you fail you are punished for it. What I did in Black Jack is if you landed in the Dealer saucer when the dealer was beating you then you would lose the points you would have gained. Made it a really interesting game and you would totally avoid the dealer saucer if you were losing.

Besides the risk/reward I had planned on adding an extra relay (reversible mod) so that both the uppers and lower would be active for a three ball multiball. It would be something you would have to work for. I will probably just start by emulating the current rules on the Arduino MEGA as a working base then modify and add extras. I'm doing something similar for a Sharpshooter and once that is complete since the hardtop should be coming out then Elektra will be next.

#907 2 years ago

Not just additional rewards but add it as some risk/reward like I did in Black Jack. If you do well you will be rewarded. If you fail you are punished for it. What I did in Black Jack is if you landed in the Dealer saucer when the dealer was beating you then you would lose the points you would have gained. Made it a really interesting game and you would totally avoid the dealer saucer if you were losing.
Besides the risk/reward I had planned on adding an extra relay (reversible mod) so that both the uppers and lower would be active for a three ball multiball. It would be something you would have to work for. I will probably just start by emulating the current rules on the Arduino MEGA as a working base then modify and add extras. I'm doing something similar for a Sharpshooter and once that is complete since the hardtop should be coming out then Elektra will be next.

Sounds like you've got some excellent concepts in mind for new coding. It's funny, I picked up this title because it was a matter of convenience, I never thought it would be a long-term keeper, but I'm finding it has so much to offer. Great game play, nice rule set, and hell it just looks pretty. I'm looking forward to giving this machine a little more love in the future when my schedule allows.

2 months later
#908 1 year ago

Did some painting last weekend.
I am pretty happy with the colors.

No Paint (resized).JPGNo Paint (resized).JPGThere is paint (resized).JPGThere is paint (resized).JPG
#909 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Did some painting last weekend.
I am pretty happy with the colors. [quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful. What paint/ tint did you use for the blue?

#910 1 year ago

Here is the base color.
I used semi-gloss clear over the colors.

Blue (resized).JPGBlue (resized).JPG
1 week later
#911 1 year ago

I just ordered my Elektra Hardtop set. Finally!

#912 1 year ago

I’m surprised they did all 3 levels actually. That’s cool…. You’ve been wanting one of these for a long time.

#913 1 year ago

I have ordered mine too !
Have been getting her ready for this for a while now.

Minus PF (resized).JPGMinus PF (resized).JPG
#914 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I’m surprised they did all 3 levels actually. That’s cool…. You’ve been wanting one of these for a long time.

I'm really looking forward to this set. My game plays well but my upper playfield is beyond trashed. I expect they did all three levels to ensure all the colors are the same. I am for sure going to use the upper and lower. Not sure about the middle. I'm wondering how that will be with that and then the normal thick plastic piece on top of that.

#915 1 year ago

I'm really looking forward to this set. My game plays well but my upper playfield is beyond trashed. I expect they did all three levels to ensure all the colors are the same. I am for sure going to use the upper and lower. Not sure about the middle. I'm wondering how that will be with that and then the normal thick plastic piece on top of that.

That’s the part that interest me as well. I bought a new plastic top but have not installed it yet. I have a ton of cosmetic work to do to mine down the road but I might just do the hardtop thing to it also.

#916 1 year ago

Wish I could just order the upper.
Just don't ever see myself doing the lower 2.

#917 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Wish I could just order the upper.
Just don't ever see myself doing the lower 2.

You could sell the unused, but for color match all three would be pretty sweet.
If you doing the upper, for sure do the lower, it would be really easy.

#918 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

That’s the part that interest me as well. I bought a new plastic top but have not installed it yet. I have a ton of cosmetic work to do to mine down the road but I might just do the hardtop thing to it also.

Did you get a new middle plexi cover?
If so, where did you get it?
Bud

#919 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Did you get a new middle plexi cover?
If so, where did you get it?
Bud

Marco…. But looking there now they must not sell them anymore. I’ve had it for a few years….

1 week later
#920 1 year ago

It's here! First impression is that they look amazing and will be nice to see how the game turns out with these installed.

HT_Elektra (resized).jpgHT_Elektra (resized).jpg
#921 1 year ago

Just got the wolfpac blue led displays installed , they look so good in Elektra! Pics don't do them justice.. got the game about 80% led so far.. what a pain in the butt!

PXL_20220526_233030154 (resized).jpgPXL_20220526_233030154 (resized).jpgPXL_20220526_234250461 (resized).jpgPXL_20220526_234250461 (resized).jpg
#922 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Just got the wolfpac blue led displays installed , they look so good in Elektra! Pics don't do them justice.. got the game about 80% led so far.. what a pain in the butt!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you go with the yoppsicles? Mine has spotty light outages and I’m thinking that’s probably the solution

#923 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Did you go with the yoppsicles? Mine has spotty light outages and I’m thinking that’s probably the solution

I used yoppsicles on mine. Easy peasey and they work!
Mike

#924 1 year ago
Quoted from packie1:

I used yoppsicles on mine. Easy peasey and they work!
Mike

Where did you buy your from? Warm or day light?

#925 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

[quoted image][quoted image]

And if I had to guess your hands are probably bleeding. The sockets on Elektra and that era of Bally are awful. So many sharp edges if you try to change lamps..

#926 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

No just regular led's

#927 1 year ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Where did you buy your from? Warm or day light?

Bought them from the inventor. I purchased warm to match the orginal bulbs.
Mike

#928 1 year ago

On the rack ready for re-assembly.

On Rack (resized).JPGOn Rack (resized).JPG
1 week later
#929 1 year ago

Working on the lower PF first. (no old sockets reused)
Props to Yopps and HardTops !
Ready for wiring harness now.

Yopps (resized).JPGYopps (resized).JPGElektra HT (resized).JPGElektra HT (resized).JPG
#930 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Working on the lower PF first. (no old sockets reused)
Props to Yopps and HardTops !
Ready for wiring harness now.[quoted image][quoted image]

I hope to start on mine shortly too. I need new inserts though. I bought some earlier but they don't seem to fit well. I am going to see if I can get some others. Once I deal with those inserts I can get going on it.

#931 1 year ago

More progress, lower playfield complete.

IMG_4460 (resized).JPGIMG_4460 (resized).JPG
#932 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

More progress, lower playfield complete.[quoted image]

That looks awesome. Hope mine turns out as well.

1 week later
#933 1 year ago

More progress, wiring complete.
Replaced 108 lamp sockets so far.

Bottom wired (resized).JPGBottom wired (resized).JPG
#934 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

More progress, wiring complete.
Replaced 108 lamp sockets so far.[quoted image]

Looking forward to seeing the finished version, new LEDs and the hardtop,it's going to look sweet.

#935 1 year ago

Oh yeah, and then this happened today. New personal best for me on Elektra.

IMG_20220622_173134833 (resized).jpgIMG_20220622_173134833 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#936 1 year ago

Borrowing an Elektra from a friend who has a pin arcade, he's not got enough room so I said I'd be happy to look after it on a long term loan.

It's my first ever early Bally. Only games remotely similar I have are two Gen1 Zacs

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
20220704_135959 (resized).jpg20220704_135959 (resized).jpg

It seems to be in good condition considering it must have got hammered. Backbox is LEDs (not keen on the coloured ones) but pf still incandescent. I probably won't mess with the lamps as it's not my game and no point putting that much money in it.

Tweaked a few switches; the slings weren't very sensitive unless it was a direct hit.
I happened to have two spare rubbers the correct size for slings so I replaced those.
I might have a 4" for where the captive ball is as I noticed it's supposed to have a rubber around that area.

Many lamps weren't working and most were bad solder joints on the header pins.
But some still aren't working, five in the lower pf. I believe it's the SCRs on aux lamp board. So a friend is sending a few of those. If they don't work I assume it's the ICs. Four of the lamps are u3 and one is u5. is it that common for these to fail?
I can only assume it sat in an arcade of 40pins and people wouldn't notice a few not working in the lower pf. So may have been like this for months.

Lower pf is missing one bracket but the wing nut(screw) is in cab. Can this be replaced?
20220704_190007 (resized).jpg20220704_190007 (resized).jpg

What kind of pitch are these 80s games intended to be at? Should they be a little floaty or like later games and around 6-6.5?

Cheers all

#937 1 year ago

Elektra is the only pinball game on the planet that was designed to "float". It's supposed to play like that...

Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Can this be replaced?

I doubt you will find that bracket as a "pinball part" since it only exists on Elektra. It uses a threaded "wing nut" of sorts to hold it in place. Honestly, just attach a piece of metal with a hole in it where those screw holes are and use a small zip tie to hold it. When you need to work on lower PF, cut the tie and when done, just add another .

#938 1 year ago

Something else I discovered watching videos of Elektra, on some theres a sound effect when you fire the lower pf flippers. I don't get sound for that at all.

Setting 18 is on 03 which should be "Most all sounds" as the manual puts it.

Any ideas?

Quoted from snyper2099:

Elektra is the only pinball game on the planet that was designed to "float". It's supposed to play like that...

I doubt you will find that bracket as a "pinball part" since it only exists on Elektra. It uses a threaded "wing nut" of sorts to hold it in place. Honestly, just attach a piece of metal with a hole in it where those screw holes are and use a small zip tie to hold it. When you need to work on lower PF, cut the tie and when done, just add another .

Good idea! I wonder if I could also make a new bracket using an old stand up target bracket...

#939 1 year ago

I believe it is NOT supposed to be making these flipper sounds like in this video @ ~3:50 mark:

I have owned 2, repaired at least 3 Elektras and played probably 5 others@ shows in the last 15 years and none of them ever made these sounds when the lower flippers are engaged. I believe it is making those sounds in error.

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I believe it is NOT supposed to be making these flipper sounds like in this video @ ~3:50 mark:
I have owned 2, repaired at least 3 Elektras and played probably 5 others@ shows in the last 15 years and none of them ever made these sounds when the lower flippers are engaged. I believe it is making those sounds in error.

Weird.
I found this thread about "fixing" there being no sound
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-regarding-bally-elektra

So what's right?
It's not helped me anyway as all my bottom flipper diodes test wrong, I suppose I should take them out of circuit to test properly

#941 1 year ago

That is odd. Maybe people are just disconnecting the extra leaf switches on the flipper button stacks so that it does not make those sounds or, it could be that they stopped installing them @ Bally @ some point during the production of the game. I do find the sounds in that video very annoying. I'm surprised I've never played one with them present.

#942 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

That is odd. Maybe people are just disconnecting the extra leaf switches on the flipper button stacks so that it does not make those sounds or, it could be that they stopped installing them @ Bally @ some point during the production of the game. I do find the sounds in that video very annoying. I'm surprised I've never played one with them present.

They must have stopped installing them.

I have the wires for the extra switches but they are left unconnected.

20220705_185112 (resized).jpg20220705_185112 (resized).jpg
20220705_185117 (resized).jpg20220705_185117 (resized).jpg

Plus there's no extra switches on the EOS, yet on other Elektras there's another stack.

20220705_181804 (resized).jpg20220705_181804 (resized).jpg

Pic from another (much nicer ) Elektra with the extra switch

received_784239796257911 (resized).jpegreceived_784239796257911 (resized).jpeg

#943 1 year ago

First 3 level HT build near completion. (new stainless ramps !)
Tested GI and all is good. (strange reflections on lower left, just photo weirdness)
Next will be dropping this into the cab.

Top Side with GI (resized).JPGTop Side with GI (resized).JPG
#944 1 year ago

Hey folks
What is the aim in multiball? I can't see any benefit to spending my time trying to get my locks lit when I could be getting points elsewhere.

Any idea?

#945 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

First 3 level HT build near completion. (new stainless ramps !)
Tested GI and all is good. (strange reflections on lower left, just photo weirdness)
Next will be dropping this into the cab.
[quoted image]

Where did you get the new ramps?

#946 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I finally had to look at my Elektra. Mine has the extra switches on the lower playfield flippers. My schematics show a single "Lower Level Flippers EOS" switch in the switch matrix. As well as the normal EOS on the flipper schematic page.

I've had the machine for many years and never noticed these flipper sounds until now. They probably added it because there can be many times where you don't hit anything in the lower playfield - so they wanted more noise.

Learn something new every day.

#947 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Hey folks
What is the aim in multiball? I can't see any benefit to spending my time trying to get my locks lit when I could be getting points elsewhere.
Any idea?

Getting the locks lit is the only way (I think) to get Elektra Points to gain entry into the lower playfield and extra time while in the lower playfield. But, once you get maximum Elektra Points, you basically want to get the locks setup to more easily get them for the next ball. Locks are easier to get right after multiball is achieved. I'm no expert on this. This is just the way I play it.

#948 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I finally had to look at my Elektra. Mine has the extra switches on the lower playfield flippers. My schematics show a single "Lower Level Flippers EOS" switch in the switch matrix. As well as the normal EOS on the flipper schematic page.
I've had the machine for many years and never noticed these flipper sounds until now. They probably added it because there can be many times where you don't hit anything in the lower playfield - so they wanted more noise.
Learn something new every day.

I am away from my Electra as well. I will take a look and hook them up if they are not. I think it would be a cool "EXTRA".
Mike

#949 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

Getting the locks lit is the only way (I think) to get Elektra Points to gain entry into the lower playfield and extra time while in the lower playfield. But, once you get maximum Elektra Points, you basically want to get the locks setup to more easily get them for the next ball. Locks are easier to get right after multiball is achieved. I'm no expert on this. This is just the way I play it.

Incorrect. You earn Elektra units a number of ways. It just so happens that completing target banks ALSO makes progress towards locks. Please review my latest rule sheet attempt (and playfield plastic text on your machine) if you need further clarification on the number of units earned for each target/drop/captive ball hit/outlane/ect. [Post #745 in this thread.]

To elaborate on multiball, it is very challenging to get multiball play and it's difficult to keep both balls alive once you earn it... There is no significant multiball advantage other than having another ball if you drain one out. If you manage to trap both balls on the right flipper, you can backhand one into the right saucer for 10K+Bonus adv. Also, if you have two balls in play, and the left outlane is lit for 10+ ELK units, then you won't lose your ball collecting it.

Elektra is VERY hard to trap on and there are no inlanes... so, multiball play essentially forces the player to keep flipping to keep 2 ball play alive and successful ball separations are rare.

#950 1 year ago

Where did you get the new ramps?

Pinsider Collin had them made at a local shop I believe. (#8 Stainless)
I have the old ones that are a bit rusty, but I think they would clean up OK.

Old Ramps (resized).JPGOld Ramps (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elektra-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/19?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.