• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_000017.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbiedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

My Elektra works perfectly since I replaced a bridge rectifier... Except for if I leave it in attract mode for too long!

I've not noticed the issue if I turn it on and play multiple games, but if I just leave it for 5 or 10 and then start a game, she decides not to flip those flippers! But if I switch her off for an extended period, she comes right back.

To my logic, its gotta be an overheating issue. But where can I start looking? Any other ideas for this issue?

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions minnesota!

I guess I'm going to have to so some research on how to fix those connectors, I really don't trust my soldering skills (they're god awful).

I guess if my connectors are the issue they should be warm to the touch? I've never touched anything in the back box while the game is on, so I don't know if the connectors normally get warm. Would I be able to differentiate anything by simply touching them?

#5 9 years ago

Oh, well there's an easy thing to check! I'll make sure the screws on all the boards are nice and tight.

Thanks for sharing!!

1 month later
#7 9 years ago

Ok, I have pretty much ruled out it being a grounding issue... at least I think I have. And the issue has gotten worse.

I tightened the screws on the boards in the head, not too tight but nice and snug, and got no improvement. Then I saw a TNT amusements video where they showed using copper along side the board to ensure proper grounding. I figure it couldn't hurt, so I ordered some.

As I waited for delivery, play time got shorter and shorter until I couldn't play a single game without the flippers cutting out completely. I received the conductive copper tape today, and tried to replicate what TNT did on their video, no improvement.

I did notice one new thing though, I had the head open and when the flippers cut out I heard a click from inside the head. After some investigation I'm 99% sure it's coming from the solenoid driver board, and I'm 90% sure it's coming from this 'box':

WP_000017.jpgWP_000017.jpg

Any ideas? What should I try next? Remember I can't solder worth %#!.

1 month later
#10 9 years ago

After several attempts to fix the power board, I broke down and ordered one of these:

http://www.allteksystems.com/products-mpu-replacements.html#solenoid

However, now that I have it installed it seems I am experiencing an entirely new issue.

Elektra powers on, but it won't light the playfield or allow me to add credits - let alone play a game. It plays the start-up sound and elects the two capture holes... and then just hangs.

The weird thing is that when I start pressing the test button on the inside of the door, the lights come on. But before they do, it's almost like the machine finally 'starts up' and for a split second it behaves like it should if it would just finish booting in the first place.

All the diagnostic tests seem to run just fine too, minus a clicking / buzzing from the solenoid expander just inside the door, but if I unplug it there's no change. I'm stumped.

EDIT:

Whoops... I'm what they call a dorkus malorkus. - Forgot to pull the ball in. All is fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 199.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robbiedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elektra-flippers-stop-working-if-game-left-on?tu=robbiedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.