Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Allibaster
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

danica-mckellar.jpg
    JELL-O.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 12 years ago

The only class that will really help with pinball machines would be a class that does a lot of circuit board building and repair. Most electronics or engineering classes are going to spend more time on circuit theory.
    I spent 4 years getting a electrical engineering degree at a major university and I never learned anything from them about soldering. What I know about soldering I have learned on my own (which is not much). Most electrical engineers that have 4-year degrees are paper pushers rather than circuit builders.

#11 12 years ago

"The only school you need.
    http://randyfromm.com/shopping/ "

I would think that you only need 3 of those DVD sets for Pinball repair:
    1. All You Need beginning electronics...
    2. Diodes, Transistors, other semiconductor..
    3. Easy pinball PC Board repair

Which is about $130 total.

Has anybody tried these DVD's? Are they good?

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Between Google, and YouTube, you should be able to teach yourself enough basics to keep your pins happy.
    Get a meter, wire, battery, light bulb. Make a circuit so the bulb lights. Measure voltage on your simple circuit.
    Then get a transistor, diode, learn to check them with a meter. So you see what good ones read like. Shorted or open ones will read different.
    LTG

Or you could get a 9 volt battery, some wire, and appropriate sized capacitor. If you assemble them in a particular way and put the vinegar into your skin just right, it could be fatal.
    When I was in engineering school our professor told us how an MIT student died this way after eating a sandwich that had vinegar in it which he managed to get on his skin. DC current is hazardous to your health

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

DCFAN said:

Most electrical engineers that have 4-year degrees are paper pushers rather than circuit builders.

Of course, the good thing about the paper pushing from my experience as an EE is that it usually pays more than hands-on work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electronics-courses-at-community-college?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.