Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stdg2_(resized).png
2016-02-16_16-50-49_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

When the ball goes into lock during video mode, the backbox and the playfield lights go out. I'd like to have a 6v light turn on and illuminate a Davros figurine placed on the back of the playfield. So far, the only thing I can think of is to have a transistor wired as an and/or gate with power linked up so as the playfield lights go out, the transistor switches power to the dedicated light shining on Davros.

I have very minor experience in working with electronics. I know there is a way to do this, I just don't know the engineering principles behind achieving this goal. Is there anyone who would know the proper way to making such a system work? Or... is there a manner or method to making this work within the available electronics on the light board or CPU? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who help!

#2 8 years ago

Could probably just rig an PNP transistor that can handle 6V to the GI line, with a 10K resistor to ground, so that when the GI turns off it'll turn on

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Could probably just rig an PNP transistor

I read your suggestion and looked up PNP transistors. This sounds exactly like what I need. I also read about setting up the leads from the transistor, but I don't know how I would do this, since my experience is limited to this point. Do you have a schematic to illustrate how I'd go about this? Thanks so much for steering my in the right direction, Zacaj.

#4 8 years ago

A PNP transistor has 3 leads. The query I have regards power to the light when the transistor switches GI power off. If there are only 3 leads and one is the ground and one is the power in, then the last lead would be the send lead to the light which switches on as the GI switches off. In this case, where does power come from in order to turn on the light after the GI is switched off?

#5 8 years ago

there are three leads. an NPN has one to ground, a PNP has one to whatever voltage you're switching (I assume that's also just 6VDC), one that goes to your lights that you're controlling (which are then connected to ground on the other side), and one (the gate) for control.

2016-02-16_16-50-49_(resized).png2016-02-16_16-50-49_(resized).png

This circuit would (unless I messed something up), connect the LIGHTS to 6VDC only when the GI is off, as long as you can find a suitable PNP transistor (has to be able to handle as much continuous current as your lights draw, and be able to tolerate 6-7V at its gate

#6 8 years ago

That is excellent! I thank you so much for your help. I knew there was some way via transistors but I don't know the theory well enough to understand and utilize the proper options. I'll search for the proper PNP transistor. Thank you again, Zacaj

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

there are three leads. an NPN has one to ground, a PNP has one to whatever voltage you're switching (I assume that's also just 6VDC), one that goes to your lights that you're controlling (which are then connected to ground on the other side), and one (the gate) for control.
2016-02-16_16-50-49_(resized).png
This circuit would (unless I messed something up), connect the LIGHTS to 6VDC only when the GI is off, as long as you can find a suitable PNP transistor (has to be able to handle as much continuous current as your lights draw, and be able to tolerate 6-7V at its gate

I figure you need a diode in series with the base of the transistor since it is AC voltage?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I figure you need a diode in series with the base of the transistor since it is AC voltage?

Ah, is the GI still AC? I don't own any games that new....

#9 8 years ago

Yes, the GI is AC, so I believe you're right about the diode. Since you posted the schematic I began looking at different versions used for amplification and there is a diode present as you described. Now I just have to learn if a transistor for my application exists and locate it. I've found many with higher voltages at 500mA. I may have to step the voltage down with a resistor to create the 6 volts I need.

This is all new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can through info over the Internet. It's like trying to learn law by walking into a library and seeing 200 volumes of legal history. Where do you start and why, regarding the tons of information each time I do a search on a subject.

#10 8 years ago

What about a relay with a 6V coil and NO/NC contact? Normally energized when the GI is on, when no power it de-energizes and closes the NC contact. Take the power for the light from a 12V source, to a 12V lamp.

#11 8 years ago

I thought about a relay prior to considering a transistor. Having little knowledge of electronic engineering, I'm not certain which is the most efficient way to go. Would you know of such a relay and where I may purchase it? Furthermore, would I need a small PCB on which to mount these components? And if so, how would I go about making or purchasing such a thing, since I've never done this before. Sorry about my ignorance. I'm trying to learn this stuff as quickly as I can without doing something the wrong way.

#12 8 years ago

you could do it with some prototyping board i suppose. the relay is probably not going to fit, but you can take a drill to it.

#13 8 years ago

AC volts use a thyristor.
Elektra uses this to turn on the bottom playfield when the top turns off.
No relay needed. And a simple circuit.
Everything you need to know is here....
http://www.brighthubengineering.com/diy-electronics-devices/121484-simple-thyristor-circuits-explained/

You could use the 5-12v buzzer circuit but replace the buzzer with your light. And use the cut off voltage/wires from your G.I.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks for the information, erak. I'm in the process of educating myself with regard to applying the proper solution. Now all I need to do is translate this schematic into a physical device that I can manufacture and use.

I'm really looking forward to making this work. I'm going to use the GI from the back box, since those lights don't flash during attract mode. And using a 12v light will work just as well as a 6v.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 40.00
£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electronic-engineering-for-dr-who and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.