(Topic ID: 212158)

Electromechanical Pinball Revival

By phil-lee

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1520313557227 (resized).jpg
    home page (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It's happening Folks. an EM revival. All kinds of people are suddenly interested in EM Pinball and want to play. Projects are snapped up, decent priced machines disappear. Everyone I know prefers the chimes and bells, the rattle of a re-set, and the great Artwork.
    Young people respond to these machines in a positive way, just like many of us did when they were new.
    I see good times for EM pinball.

Great theory but no way. Despite what people keep saying here, EM games prices have risen very little, especially compared to everything else. You can still get nice EMs for $400-700, just like you could 10 years ago. You can still find decent EM projects for cheaper than that, just like 10 years ago.

There's always gonna a place in this hobby for EM games, and people will always enjoy them. But there's always going to be a limit for those who want them - newbies, the ones flocking to pinside by the thousands over the last 5 years - generally have no interest. When was the last time you saw a "pinball is a rich man's hobby!" or "the bubble is about to burst!!!" newbie post about EM games?

The answer of course is never. Because virtually nobody new to the pinball hobby has any interest in EMs.

There's some reasons...there's no nostalgia attached except for very old people (older than I even!). The gameplay and show isn't exactly as exciting as later stuff. Plus...and this is coming from someone who has resurrected probably hundreds of EMs...the goddamn things are just a bitch to keep running/get running sometimes. I'm getting pretty tired of dealing with them to be honest. Why spend hours pulling (what's left) of your hair out trying to get a bunch of gottlieb latch trip relays to work right, or spending hours battling with some bizarre Bally EM logic that makes no sense, emerging with filthy sliced and weathered hands? Isn't it just easier to redo some connectors, pop in a new board, and get a late 70s Bally working?

yes, it is.

EMs been driving me nuts lately, and I consider(ed) myself very good at working on them. Maybe I just need to take a break but I'm starting to hate them.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Completely disagree with you but have said the same thing in the past. I know there isn’t and probably won’t be a huge demand for EMs that would make there prices skyrocket like modern pins. But can say a good 90% of the friends I have made since joining a league last year are
    1: new to the hobby in the past 5 years.
    2: either one at least one or two EM pin
    3: are too young to have played EMs out in the wild.
    Some are in their early 20’s.
    Also if done right the first time EMs are very reliable.

That's great, and all true, but does it constitute a "revival?"

EMs will always be around. They will always be cheap. And they will always be part of the hobby. I'm not saying they are going anywhere but "revival?" Just more of the same for EM pinball in the future I think.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electromechanical-pinball-revival?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.