(Topic ID: 114)

electro-mechanical

By scooter

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

Would like to see an EM section on Pinside.I grew up playing EM pinball,maybe I am older than most on here but there are some great EM'S from the 60's and 70's!Could call it classic pinball section.

#2 14 years ago

This could be done of course. The Pinside has originally always been about Solid State_ pinball (our site originated from a single Access database called the "Solid State Pinball Database") , but if enough people would request it, we might consider adding EM games as well. There are some great EM games out there. The only reason we never added them was the huge amount of EM games in existence and our (the site owners) total lack of knowledge of most of them.

The IPDB (www.ipdb.org) has been building a great database for many years and their EM data is more complete than ours will probably ever be. The only way I see EM games appearing on the Pinside would be some sort of partnering with the IPDB, to share data. A bit like "live mirroring" of their data and representing it it the Pinside way. Naturally we could also do this for SS games.

But ONLY with consent of the administrators of IPDB!

Having their database linked against ours would allow us to implement the Pinside rating system to support these new games, and add the ability to have EM games in your collection, adding the EM games to the world pinball map etcetera etcetera...

So if anyone who reads this wants to take this up with someone from the IPDB site, be our guest! We must admit, it sounds kinda cool - partnering up the database of IPDB with the social features of Pinside.com!

#3 14 years ago

I'm also a big fan of the older EMs right now,
    but with the huge volume going all the way back to pre-flippers it may be way too much.
    I would start by adding only mid- 70s games to cover the years before Solid state .
    a few games were made SS and EM with the same title.
    if it works out every few years you can add more like early 70s, late 60s, etc.
    For me pinball is a transition you get into a game/mfg/year and then you explore in all directions,
    I never thought I'd ever play 'wood rails' or 'pre-flipper' but now at the pin shows thats what I'm drawn too -maybe others feel the sameway?

#4 14 years ago

I'm with you Scooter Long Live EM's

Mark

#5 14 years ago

EM's are cool, but ya, that's what the IPDB is for. So many games were manufactured and pumped out with a production run of MAYBE 100. ALOT more people were in the game back then. There was like 10-20 manufacurers at one time I think. Some only producing a handfull of games that you could count on one hand! Late 60's - 70's games maybe a little different with a production of 500+.
    Of course they 'pioneered' what we have today, always will like them. But gotta UPGRADE. I'm 34 and have seen alot of techno changes. I had my 8-track tapes and 78 speed vinyl records to listen to music. The 8mm and beta and vhs tapes to watch movies. The classics and history will ALWAYS rock, and be ongoing conversations forever, there will always be a place for that. BUT, I would rather play and read about a 'newer' SS game and fix it rather than an EM game. My first pin that I had was a '71 Williams Doodlebug. Found another one awhile ago and didn't buy it cuz it actually seemed boring and slow playing. I like my SS games and they are fast and easier to fix and maintain.
    That's just me and my opinion tho of course. Might play an EM maybe if I see one for the ol 'shiets and giggles', but thats about it.

4 years later
    #6 10 years ago

I would like an EM section too. I have 2 of em. Dealers Choice & Sound Stage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electro-mechanical and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.