Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by FrankJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GPvsPAC (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballfever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from just4fn:

When I raise my playfield of my Big Shot, the switch's and rotors look overwhelming.

Isn't it cool?!!! I grew up fascinated with electromechanicals and how they work after seeing the innards of an old crank telephone.

Quoted from flynnibus:

EM theory - don't touch it if it ain't broke

Literally people make jobs far worse trying to 'improve' what isn't broke. The games rely on such a small margin of error with the switches that people usually do more harm than good because of the alignments, gapping, etc.

Sometimes people pull the bottom board out and clean it all... but a reliable EM is far more desirable than a 'clean but broke' one.

Well stated. Clayton Harrell of pinrepair.com says you should tighten the switch stack screws first then check the action to be sure the contacts are "wiping" then adjust the switch blades ONLY if the contacts are not wiping. The contacts clean themselves while playing the game if they're wiping correctly.

Cleaning and adjusting every switch on a game is more work and causes more problems.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Pinball Machine Car and Maintenance

Pinball Machine CARE and Maintenance Will order this book.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Quoted from PinballFever:
    Pinball Machine CARE and Maintenance Will order this book.

Whoops, yeah you know what I meant. Fixed.

Do they have two or three different sizes? I'm seeing "manual size" and paperback but not seeing the dimensions of the book. Would the paperback be too small to read? Manual size here seems pretty large but might be easier to read on the side while working on a pinball.

ebay.com link: Pinball Machine CARE and MAINTENANCE Manual Book Guide 3rd Edition Brand New

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Russ Jensen's Pinball Troubleshooting Guide

I bought that book when it was available in the 90's and it got lost in the moves over time so I printed a copy of it from online.

Quoted from AlexF:

The one I have is manual size and bound in that ring binder style. Paperback may just mean it's not a hard cover? Not sure really. The one linked looks more professional than my old one. Like a real book.

Agreed. I like the manual size. I'm going to order that one, thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballfever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electrics-look-overwhelming?tu=pinballfever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.