(Topic ID: 281047)

Electricians: non-technical, more business question for ya...

By Rdoyle1978

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hoping to get some feedback on this situation I'm in here. This isn't a technical question, but more of a "what should I expect?" type jobsite question:

So we are doing an addition to the house. I have a GC, who I like very much, and has been pretty responsive in general. We started our build in April, which included a 15x30 new basement section, removing some concrete, and a new 2-story build on top of the basement section. That was all completed in June.

Since then, I've been waiting on the electrician to finish his work - HVAC is in, plumbing is in. I get a call today that the GC is probably moving on from this guy, who has not been able to get here to get the work done. It's getting damn cold here in DC, and will get worse soon, so I want to get all closed in ASAP.

Now the elec is off the job, so we need to bring in someone new.

So, question: Should I expect a big problem with a new guy coming in and having to work with some of the existing wire pulls/box placement? Should I expect to wait a LONG time to get someone in here? As far as I can tell, no permit has been pulled, even though he had started work. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I do know it means more delays. Anybody been through this, is there anything I can do to make the work easier for the electrician and get him in and out?

Thanks...

#2 3 years ago

I recently had a fair amount of electrical work done, along with a variety of other contracting work. What I can offer for info is this: CV has a huge impact on this type of stuff. All of the materials are in short supply and back-ordered, and the contractors have all the work they can handle. This causes delays, delays, delays. A project I started right around March and thought would be all ready to go by summer ending up going into October. Some parts are still not done.

For electrical I got a new breaker panel and other various wiring jobs. It took over 4 weeks to get the parts for the panel. Luckily I had a good electrical contractor, very competent and professional. He told me he had more work lined up than he had ever seen, and was working crazy hours to try to get everything done.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I recently had a fair amount of electrical work done, along with a variety of other contracting work. What I can offer for info is this: CV has a huge impact on this type of stuff. All of the materials are in short supply and back-ordered, and the contractors have all the work they can handle. This causes delays, delays, delays. A project I started right around March and thought would be all ready to go by summer ending up going into October. Some parts are still not done.
    For electrical I got a new breaker panel and other various wiring jobs. It took over 4 weeks to get the parts for the panel. Luckily I had a good electrical contractor, very competent and professional. He told me he had more work lined up than he had ever seen, and was working crazy hours to try to get everything done.

I appreciate the input! We have definitely been impacted by Covid here as well - it took me 3 months to get our new A/C compressor in, not including installation. However, we started ordering parts in *March* and the job started in April. So that's much less of a factor now. The electrician is WAY overscheduled, and the poor guy had his assistant die a few months ago, so he's really stressing and behind. I feel real bad for him, he's just not able to get the work done, so the GC made the tough call to move on.

#4 3 years ago

Covid is affecting prices of lots of building materials . 2 by 4,s almost triple vs last year it seems

#5 3 years ago

I hope your GC is not the problem. This could cost you money in the long run if your contract is not clearly defined. If cost over runs and issues like this are not clearly built into your contract, you could be on the hook for any cost over runs if your GC makes mistakes.

I know as an electrician, I would not come in and finish work from someone else that I did not know. I would have to submit my own bid for the job. I could not guarantee the workmanship of the prior electrician, nor would I warranty it with my work. It is a tough situation, but in the long run, electrical work needs to be done correctly from start to finish by the same person or company, not by different ones. I think your GC should have worked a little more with the electrician to find a solution rather than fire him since the job was already started. I hope you find a solution that works.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So, question: Should I expect a big problem with a new guy coming in and having to work with some of the existing wire pulls/box placement?

I am going to say probably not - sounds like you have a good GC, they can generally work through this kind of issue as good subs like to work with good contractors. There is no indication the work completed is bad, just incomplete. Doesnt sound like anything but rough in has been done, the key is nothing hidden behind drywall. Relocating boxes is not difficult if necessary. The new guy might want to change a few things such as circuit lengths, maybe all 12 gauge vs 14 gauge lighting circuits, etc. I would consider all suggestions.

I respect eyeamred2u not wanting to complete anothers work, but many will, especially to establish a new relationship with a good GC or to make a little more on a job (expect to pay a little more total). If you have a set bid price with the GC, I would seriously consider a frank conversation that might cost you a little more in the end but doesn't squeeze your GC to the point of cutting corners.

I will tell you materials costs have risen crazy since April, so the longer this drags out the worse it will be for the GC if his bid was fixed.

Good luck!

#7 3 years ago

I’m an electrical contractor/master electrician, pm me if you would like to talk on the phone. I’ll run you though the whole process.

#8 3 years ago

Really appreciate the insight here - I was concerned that we would have a difficult time finding a replacement due to the reasons eyeamred2u mentiined. However, not a ton of work had actually been done yet. Romex has been “placed” (a lot isn’t even in the wall yet, just measured and cut), and (most) boxes nailed in. We can’t do insulation or drywall until all trades have been inspected (all in the same inspection, which seems crazy to me)

I got word that we might have a guy coming on Sunday - not sure if he will be rebidding or how they handle that. Contract wise I think I am good; this is on the GC right now - they are still working together but the elec is moving off our Job because we need close-in soon due to the weather. GC has been good so far, we’ve had a few screw ups (normal stuff) but no real surprises.

Appreciate everyone taking the time !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electricians-non-technical-more-business-question-for-ya and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.