• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pin-it
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Game is a 1948 Bally Carnival.

In need of replacing the Graphite or Carbon electrical contact rings for the bumper hit registers on the underside of teh play field board.

These are small rings that are about 3/8" OD x 3/16" ID and 1/4" thick with a small groove cut in the outside circumference for a 1/16" diameter copper wire to hold them in position.

When the bumper is hit, the hanging rod will swing sideways and hit the ring. The rod and the wire that holds the ring are both wired to be a contact switch when they meet. As they contact, the circuit is closed and the relay will kick in to register a score.

These rings are designed so as not to have common metals contact each other and cause them to weld together.

In time the carbon/graphite rings wear thru and fall out.

I need about 20 of these now to bring the machine back to proper safe working condition. I have not seen any of these for sale.

WHERE CAN I FIND THESE?

#2 10 years ago

Try Steve Young at PB Resource.

#3 10 years ago

Have you got a picture of the part you need?

#4 10 years ago

I'm sure I've read somewhere of a way of modifying them to use modern parts. It might have been on here, one of the EM forums for sure. Do a bit of searching, you might come across it.

#5 10 years ago

Hi carnival.
I am restoring a '47 United pinball and I know the contact rings you ask about. If PBR doesn't have them then you may have a couple retrofit options.

First I'd order one regular spoon shaped pop bumper switch and see if it can be made to work. You may need to glue a small plastic ball on the end of the skirt actuator rod to keep it from digging a hole into the spoon. If one can be made to work then they all should be able to work. I think that would be the cheapest retrofit.

Lastly, you could use a proper sized steel or brass washer for the ring. You would need to construct a small and cheap driver circuit to keep the current at the post and ring very low. The circuit would be a rectifier diode, a small cap and a reed relay. The reed relay will not draw enough current to arc the ring and post together. The diode and cap will change the game's AC to DC for the reed relay, switched on by the ring and post. The reed relay will drive (switch) the game''s regular relay like the ring and post does.
The circuit could be encased in a small epoxy block maybe 3/4" square by 1/2" deep. Once circuit per bumper, they could be powered by a GI buss on the PF.

I personally have not done either one of those suggestions, it was just some thoughts I had.

#6 10 years ago

Hi Carnival.

I've restored the PF on my United and found 1 broken ring. I'll be investigating Michaels and see if they have an art pencil with a wide enough graphite "lead" and see if I can make my own ring by shaping with a Dremel tool. If not then I'll probably opt for the simple driver I outlined above.

1 month later
#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I tried PBR and he said he could make me one or two on a lathe but not the whole set of 13. Way too much work. Same goes for the circuit idea. Way too much work. The unit works fine with the adjustments of the ring holder but will eventually arc out. Just wanted a simple solution to make it back to original condition. Will keep my eyes open for a graphite bar or tube that I can whittle down, one a night until I have all. Trouble now is finding that stock material.

#8 9 years ago

I helped SteveFury out with some of these a month or so ago...let me see if I still have any spares......

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

Carnival:
Still working on trying to locate you some of these......I have not forgotten.....just have been busy and sidetracked with work and family stuff......
What is the minimum # you need for your game?

1 month later
#10 9 years ago

Carnival......I secured some more of these rings....how many do you need?
I will send you a PM as well....

Post edited by 82Trooper

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

I'm sure I've read somewhere of a way of modifying them to use modern parts. It might have been on here, one of the EM forums for sure.

Referred to within the link below.

I had the same exact issue.
I had first super glued the one that broke but found a spare among a toolbox of used parts my grandfather had accumulated when he owned this machine. So far so good on the modify >> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/passive-bumper-skirt-modify#post-1218429

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electrical-contact-rings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.