Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've had my Firepower up and running for about two months. My landlord asked me today if we've been doing anything recently that used more electricity, as his bill went from $150 to almost $400. This seems like an astronomical jump, could my FP be to blame? Do these things use that much juice when on? Do they draw power even when turned off? Here are the facts:

- It's plugged in all the time, but I use it maybe 1/2 hour a day. When not in use, it's turned off.
- #44 bulbs throughout. No LEDs.
- Ground prong on plug was cut off by previous owner, I haven't replaced it yet. Can't see how this would matter though.

Any ideas guys, is my FP to blame here?

#2 10 years ago

A half hour a day isn't much. I have all mine plugged in continuously and I my bill is no where near $400.

#3 10 years ago

This time of year I'd lean more toward colder weather than 30 mins/day of a game.

#4 10 years ago

Stick an ammeter in the panel with everything on and turn it off and that will tell you.

#6 10 years ago

But then again Could the space heater...

#7 10 years ago

Sometimes i leave my firepower on all day several days a week with no change to electric bill

#8 10 years ago

Landlord was probably on a adjustable rate energy plan. Lots of customers have had their energy bills skyrocket due to electric companies deciding to change the kilowatt hour rates. It is totally legal and many people have been trying to get local government to regulate the rates. We have all been hearing horror stories of people getting 500-700 a month electric bills. To answer your question no you playing one game for 30-40 minutes a day should make little difference in the overall bill. If you would leave it on all the time then yes it would be a issue.

#9 10 years ago

No, there is no way a half hour a day of Firepower is going to be noticeable on your electric bill. We've had an insanely cold winter. the home's heating unit working overtime is likely to blame for the bill. definitely not the pin.

#10 10 years ago

REPLACE THE GROUND ASAP! YOU NEED GROUND!!!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

this. it's not related to your electric bill issue, but replace it ASAP.

#12 10 years ago

Yeah all kidding aside this thing should be grounded. Don't want to spill a beer on it and get electrocuted.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I've had my Firepower up and running for about two months. My landlord asked me today if we've been doing anything recently that used more electricity, as his bill went from $150 to almost $400. This seems like an astronomical jump, could my FP be to blame? Do these things use that much juice when on? Do they draw power even when turned off? Here are the facts:
- It's plugged in all the time, but I use it maybe 1/2 hour a day. When not in use, it's turned off.
- #44 bulbs throughout. No LEDs.
- Ground prong on plug was cut off by previous owner, I haven't replaced it yet. Can't see how this would matter though.
Any ideas guys, is my FP to blame here?

Dude you are in NY here on the east coast where snow and freezing cold temps have been the norm for over a month now.....my electric bill went from $180 to over $300 bc of the heat running non stop. Tell your landlord DUHHHHHH....it's the reality of a very cold and crappy winter.....electric bills are going to be ridiculous!

#14 10 years ago

Highly unlikely it's pinball related.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't think it was the machine either. Didn't occur to me before but the county recently switched over from the LIPA to some other power authority....they tell you it will save you money and everyone gets screwed in the end instead.

@Manbear, Pez, Notbychance: first on my list of things to do, that's one reason I recently picked up a Hakko.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Highly unlikely it's pinball related.

I agree. My two pins average about 120-130W each - a little more than a 100W incandescent light.

A 150W light on for 30 minutes a day is not going to significantly affect your electricity bill. It's got to be something else...

You can always buy a kill-a-watt: http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/
and find out exactly how much electricity everything in your house uses. Though it won't measure the biggest power hog in many households - the electric clothes dryer. I just measured mine and it was over 5000W...

#17 10 years ago

The energy companies always charge big in the winter months imo.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Just list your energy bill for christs sake...mine was $143.86 this month...

The OP's question was "Any ideas guys, is my FP to blame here?", I can't imagine he's interested in what your energy bill is. For Christ's sake.

#19 10 years ago

My bill last month was $755..F'n Electric Heat!! My therm was set to 67 all day. Almost had a heart attack when I opened the bill.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

I agree. When I got my Nascar pin recently, someone had cut the ground off.
As soon as I plugged it in at home and you leaned on a metal part like where the glass holds on, you got a little tingle.
If I were to touch something else at the same time I'm sure that would have given me a nice shock. $2.99 fix. Get er done!
But probably not effecting the power bill.

#21 10 years ago

I know of friends of friends in the NY/NJ area that have $700 electric bills this month. Lots of people in my area have $400+ electric bills. It's the cold. I can run 7 pinball machines off one breaker and not blow it, and have never seen any change in my electric because of the pins.

#22 10 years ago

Reduce power usage by using LEDs in your pins

#23 10 years ago

electricity included?!?!? GET MORE PINS!

#24 10 years ago

Gas heat here, and with a few dozen games, have never had a *combined* gas/electric bill over 400. Your FP probably swallowed maybe $10 worth of power. Well, maybe $30 at the stupid rates it seems the east coast has

Interesting note: hold a tournament, and you suddenly have electric and bio heat.. no need for natural gas for a day or two

#25 10 years ago

It's not the pins, it's PSEG, Long Island's new power company. My bill went from $35 to $99 from December to January. No explanation. My bill was so low because my condo is pretty small and I strictly leave everything off when not in use, but proportionally speaking, that's quite a jump.

Some other club members were complaining of random price jumps this month as well...

-BB

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Gas heat here, and with a few dozen games, have never had a *combined* gas/electric bill over 400. Your FP probably swallowed maybe $10 worth of power. Well, maybe $30 at the stupid rates it seems the east coast has

not sure it's the rates per se -- it's been insanely cold all winter on the east coast. like, around zero or below for weeks at a time. and that's "down south" here in Virginia. I imagine NY has been even colder.

#27 10 years ago

I would highly recommend initially only looking at kwh to compare usage. Next, look at the rate (cents/kwh) to see if that changed - depending on the rate structure, there may also be a fuel surcharge. Looking at just the total bill usually leads to a misinterpretation of what is going on...

</electricity market pro>

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

.. no need for natural gas for a day or two

That's for sure.

#29 10 years ago

Even if you heat with NG or Propane, your furnace motor (or circulation pump for those with radiant floor heat) is probably running 100% of the time trying to keep up with this years crazy cold weather.

#30 10 years ago

Thats nuts! Ive had all my xmas lights on, all my house lights on, all my machines on, people over watching tv, etc, etc all at the same time for 2 days and had nothing near that jump. Hes messing with you.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

As soon as I plugged it in at home and you leaned on a metal part like where the glass holds on, you got a little tingle.
If I were to touch something else at the same time I'm sure that would have given me a nice shock.

I just thought of a new mod for my Metallica...

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's for sure.

You're an Expo veteran

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

not sure it's the rates per se -- it's been insanely cold all winter on the east coast. like, around zero or below for weeks at a time. and that's "down south" here in Virginia. I imagine NY has been even colder.

I guess you're all on electric heat? Seems that gas hasn't fluctuated as much.. most of the utilities here locked in good rates when it was dirt cheap earlier in the year. As for electric, Ohio allows competition among utilities, and also allows local government to enter into aggregation deals... and it rocks. 5.8c per KwH when national average is around twice that, and locked in til 2017

http://springfieldtwp.besavvy.egovlink.com/electricaggregation.cfm

#35 10 years ago

Also don't leave it plugged in all the time. If there is a surge it could damage the game.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I guess you're all on electric heat? Seems that gas hasn't fluctuated as much.. most of the utilities here locked in good rates when it was dirt cheap earlier in the year. As for electric, Ohio allows competition among utilities, and also allows local government to enter into aggregation deals... and it rocks. 5.8c per KwH when national average is around twice that, and locked in til 2017
http://springfieldtwp.besavvy.egovlink.com/electricaggregation.cfm

we're gas.

#37 10 years ago

I purchased a ventless gas stove before Christmas and my heating bill was 75 last month. Love the stove, 100% efficient. Works when the power goes out also!

#38 10 years ago

I have electric heat and ours last month was $450. My wife and kids just love leaving stuff on when they leave in the morning. In the summer my bill gets as slow as $75 a month.

#39 10 years ago

I have 6 pins in a 1 bedroom apt, on the top floor (2 flights of steps)..... and my bill is usually around 130-150, but the last two months it has been 230-250. My machines stay plugged in unless there is a storm going on, and I play my games 1 hour a night. Gotta be the cold.

#40 10 years ago

Pinball machines use very little electricity. None that will make a noticeable difference on your bill. Especially if you turn them off when you are done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electric-bill-is-how-much and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.