• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0606.jpg
IMAG0604.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I've got this issue where the ball rolls over the switch and the small relay in the backbox will rotate, but the target lights won't switch and the AS relay under the playfield won't rotate, however when the stand up target is hit lower on the playfield the target lights will rotate like they should.

#2 8 years ago

Here's a picture of my El Dorado.

There are two switches in that stack, so a simple mis-adjustment is a possibility. A broken wire here or at that standup target could also be a possibility.

IMAG0604.jpgIMAG0604.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Here's my best photo of wiring at the standup target.

Looks like just a single switch. The white-blue wires are probably the ones of interest here.

IMAG0606.jpgIMAG0606.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Thanks mot I'm gonna have a look when I get home thanks

#5 8 years ago

As mot said I would start with the star rollover switch first to make sure it's clean and adjusted properly. If the switch is either dirty or out of adjustment and gapped too wide it won't advance the target light. The mini-stepper relay in the head (I think it's the F relay) is the other thing to look at. It controls the advancement of the lit target. It needs to be cleaned of all old lubricants and operated freely when you manually advance it. The nice thing is you can unplug the stepper and remove it from the game to work on it. There has to be the correct amount of blade tension on both "propellers" on that stepper. Steve Young at Pinball Resource has a few parts available for it. Since you say it is moving it may/may not be ok.

#6 8 years ago

The mini-stepper in the backbox (F) is the 00-90 unit, and doesn't control the target lights. And that is an 'AS' style relay.

But the drop target and rollover lights are controlled by the "Advance" stepper unit (which is a full-size stepper, not an 'AS' style mini-stepper).

The "Add Advance" coil is energized by only a switch closing on the Q relay. And the Q relay is energized by either the standup target switch or the rollover button switch. Since the standup target switch is working, then that strongly points to the rollover button switch itself as being the culprit.

#7 8 years ago

I just checked and I show both rollover switches closed even though the contact points are not touching

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I just checked and I show both rollover switches closed even though the contact points are not touching

I'm not sure what you mean, but if the contact points aren't touching, then they're not closed.

#9 8 years ago

I found the switch tension metal in the switch stack making contact with the wrong leaf switch thus allowing the switch to stay closed all the time repaired it and all is good

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The mini-stepper in the backbox (F) is the 00-90 unit, and doesn't control the target lights. And that is an 'AS' style relay.
But the drop target and rollover lights are controlled by the "Advance" stepper unit (which is a full-size stepper, not an 'AS' style mini-stepper).
The "Add Advance" coil is energized by only a switch closing on the Q relay. And the Q relay is energized by either the standup target switch or the rollover button switch. Since the standup target switch is working, then that strongly points to the rollover button switch itself as being the culprit.

I was going by memory - glad you chimed in.

Quoted from patrickvc:

I found the switch tension metal in the switch stack making contact with the wrong leaf switch thus allowing the switch to stay closed all the time repaired it and all is good

Great!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Oh, something like this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-tech-tip-mystery-stuck-switches

#12 8 years ago

Exactly like that. Who knows how long it's been that way. I'm surprised the coil wasn't burnt up because it stayed locked on

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eldorado-rollover-star-switch-not-changing-target-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.