• 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10FDD8B5-78C8-4B1A-B58D-D451014FCE1D (resized).jpeg
FB88036A-0EBD-44A2-B2F2-2363AC3D2B9F (resized).png
There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 1 year ago

I just beat Renalla. She was the first major enemy / boss that really took me a while to defeat. I duplicated her remembrance since I'm a mage build. Now I just need to boost my intelligence enough to use her spell and staff. That will take a while.

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just beat Renalla. She was the first major enemy / boss that really took me a while to defeat. I duplicated her remembrance since I'm a mage build. Now I just need to boost my intelligence enough to use her spell and staff. That will take a while.

Her staff is probably the best in the game, but there are other comparable staffs that will do you fine as well. I wasn't completely impressed by her sorcery though...but maybe I'm missing something.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Her staff is probably the best in the game, but there are other comparable staffs that will do you fine as well. I wasn't completely impressed by her sorcery though...but maybe I'm missing something.

I’ve been primarily using the meteorite staff. I assume her staff is better, once I can wield it, is that right?

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I’ve been primarily using the meteorite staff. I assume her staff is better, once I can wield it, is that right?

Yeah it’s better. I stuck with it all game. Think you need 70 int to use it though

#205 1 year ago

Yes, definitely better but the Metorite staff is great for early/mid game, mostly because as Jace said, Renalla's staff requires I think 60 INT and her moon spell requires 70 INT, pretty late game. Also the Meteorite staff has S scaling in INT.

The bad part about the Meteorite staff is that you can't upgrade it, so at some point there will be others, once upgraded, that will be better.

#206 1 year ago

Just beat Radahan. Now that fight was tough. I spent forever trying before I decided to use a rune arc. Even then, it cost me three rune arcs to boost my stats before I was able to do it. Pretty incredible fight.

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just beat Radahan. Now that fight was tough. I spent forever trying before I decided to use a rune arc. Even then, it cost me three rune arcs to boost my stats before I was able to do it. Pretty incredible fight.

Starscourge? That was the hardest boss for me too. Several times I was very close to beating him and the summons stopped appearing. So many times the other players I summoned to help also quickly died during battle.

Rob

#208 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Starscourge?

Yes. As of part of Ranni’s quest. Loretta’s bow was of great help. Basically hung back and kept hitting him with it. Now have to go to Nokron.

#209 1 year ago

I played a bit tonight and had to summon help for the godskin duo. This one player I summoned did amazing damage to the bosses with a twinblade that looked like it had blood loss. He literally beat both bosses with about 4 or 5 attacks....

I also got invaded on an earlier attempt. Teabagging still seems to be a thing when you lose.

#210 1 year ago

I feel like since I got through Raya Lucaria Academy, this game has really opened up for me. I’m progressing at a much faster pace. Completed Caria Manor, defeated Radahan, got through Nokron, got through Ranni’s quest and the upside down tower, etc. Really have a good feel for this game, only 60 hours in. Lol. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

#211 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I feel like since I got through Raya Lucaria Academy, this game has really opened up for me. I’m progressing at a much faster pace. Completed Caria Manor, defeated Radahan, got through Nokron, got through Ranni’s quest and the upside down tower, etc. Really have a good feel for this game, only 60 hours in. Lol. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

Definitely the same for me. Seems like once I finished the Adademy I was strong enough to take on a bunch of stuff.

Stuck on the Twin Gargoyles and the 'red guy' that progresses Ranni's quest at the moment but I probably just need to level up a little bit more and find the correct ashes for each fight.

#212 1 year ago

Wait, that was the ending? Feels very anti climatic to me.

I had a lot of fun along the way, but the last 1/3 of the game was not as fun as the first 2/3. The copy/paste level design in a few areas was disappointing. Still a very fun game that just left me wanting more exploration in the latter parts that just wasn't there.

Some of the quests didn't make sense or I (most of the time) easily lost track of them.

Armor builds are just so useless and it's disappointing there is no perk for wearing a full set. If you can't fast roll against bosses or pvp, then you're seriously at a disadvantage. Maybe fast rolling needs to have a higher stamina drain?

#213 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I feel like the Academy was kind of the peak part of the game for me.

Rob

1 week later
#214 1 year ago

I've been letting myself be summoned a lot for boss fights and the #1 summon is for the fire giant.

Last night, I think a guy who summoned me was on ng+ (at least) because I couldn't damage the fire giant very well and I simply just didn't have enough FP to properly fight that boss. The game removes half of your potions for health and FP while also significantly increasing the boss hit points.

Rob

#215 1 year ago

Future press does an amazing job and they are ready for preordering.

https://www.future-press.com/books/elden-ring-vol1/

#216 1 year ago

Playing NG+ now. My character is sufficiently levelled that I can do boss fights without much trouble. I can also pay more attention to the quests because I have an idea where things are and who the NPC are. I'm fairly certain NG+ will take far less time to complete than original game.

Rob

#217 1 year ago

I’m just steadily rolling through things. Hit a brick wall on Rannis quest, working on early parts of Millicent’s quest line right now. Bouncing back and forth between caelid and leyndall areas and just doing random spots as I find the mood. Level is in the 70’s or so at this point.

Not digging the mimic tear so far. Still using either Luhl the Headless or the Marionette Soldiers for the most part.

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Not digging the mimic tear so far. Still using either Luhl the Headless or the Marionette Soldiers for the most part.

What level is your mimic tear?

I use it more as a diversion. It gives me time to attack bosses with dragon breath or bolt of gransax. My other weapon of choice is blasphemous blade, but that's a closer range attack.

Rob

#219 1 year ago

Mimic tear is pretty OP. It can act as a distraction sure, but it also does plenty of its own ass-kicking. It's all I summon really. Sometimes I change it up for a bit of variety but I always use the mimic for boss fights.

#220 1 year ago

Just finally made it to Volcano Manor. Still having fun and have plenty to explore. Can finally use the moon spell and that giant comet laser beam spell, whatever it’s called. Feeling pretty powerful. I should try visiting some old areas again and just kick butt.

#221 1 year ago

I'm finding NG+ boring and I don't want to play it any more. Co-op summons in NG+ are rare now because by this time everyone is strong enough to defeat a boss on their own with mimic.

Rob

#222 1 year ago

Still not strong enough for the Draconic Tree Spirit, I'll farm and explore a bit more before coming back to it. Maybe go dragon hunting for a while, but not many of them left at this point.

-Hans

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Still not strong enough for the Draconic Tree Spirit, I'll farm and explore a bit more before coming back to it. Maybe go dragon hunting for a while, but not many of them left at this point.
-Hans

This guy?

#224 1 year ago

I’ve been having a lot of fun exploring Leyndell the royal capital. What a beautiful area, and it feels like there’s so many paths to explore, it’s hard to keep track.

I also just defeated Margott the Omen King. Did it on my second try with the use of the mimic tear. Cashed in his remembrance for the Regal Omen Baird since I’m a mage build and don’t have the stats for his sword. Kind of disappointed in that tool though. It has a cool effect but hardly does any damage compared to my sorceries at this point.

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Cashed in his remembrance for the Regal Omen Baird since I’m a mage build and don’t have the stats for his sword. Kind of disappointed in that tool though. It has a cool effect but hardly does any damage compared to my sorceries at this point.

I might take that part back. Seems to do more damage than I thought against some enemies.

#226 1 year ago

Well, the God Devouring Serpent is really hard. I’ve gotten past it’s first phase a few times now, but the second phase really does me in.

#227 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Well, the God Devouring Serpent is really hard. I’ve gotten past it’s first phase a few times now, but the second phase really does me in.

Are you using the correct weapon? Trying to avoid spoilers...

#228 1 year ago

Speaking of weapons, I got the moonveil katana finally, not sure why I didn’t do it sooner as the boss fight to get it was quite easy at this point. Dual wield katanas are fun.

#229 1 year ago
Quoted from pch3727:

No. I was fighting just with spells. I guess I’ll try wielding it. I take it that is the way to go?

1 week later
#230 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Quoted from pch3727:

Quoted from Nokoro:

No. I was fighting just with spells. I guess I’ll try wielding it. I take it that is the way to go?

Well, just finally defeated it. The weapon was key, but it still took me a huge number of tries. Also, explored a lot more. Went back and collected a bunch of stuff in Caelid, Raya Lucaria and Liurnia that I missed before.

1 week later
#231 1 year ago

I hate to say it but I think that Elden Ring is fading for me. No longer am I spending 2-3-4 hours a day playing the game, nor do I feel the need to turn it on and "do the next thing." It will still stand as the game that I've logged the most hours into at around 195. Before that it was Stardew Valley at around 155 lol. It was great while it lasted though. I'd like to say that at some point I'll pick it up again down the line, but who am I kidding. When a game is shelved...it's shelved.

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I hate to say it but I think that Elden Ring is fading for me. No longer am I spending 2-3-4 hours a day playing the game, nor do I feel the need to turn it on and "do the next thing." It will still stand as the game that I've logged the most hours into at around 195. Before that it was Stardew Valley at around 155 lol. It was great while it lasted though. I'd like to say that at some point I'll pick it up again down the line, but who am I kidding. When a game is shelved...it's shelved.

Finally tiring of a game after 195 hours is probably a sign of a good game.

I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 but quit well before the end, and well short of the hours I have into Elden Ring so far. I got a bit tired of all the hunting and extensive cut scenes.

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Finally tiring of a game after 195 hours is probably a sign of a good game.
I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 but quit well before the end, and well short of the hours I have into Elden Ring so far. I got a bit tired of all the hunting and extensive cut scenes.

I've heard a lot of good things about RDR2, but never got around to playing it (never played the first one). It almost seems equivalent to "You've never seen (insert well known movie here)?!"

ER will go down as one of the best games of all-time for me. Just like how FF7 has a special place in my teenage heart, ER will have a special place in my midle aged heart lol. I probably played FF7 as many hours over several playthroughs as ER, but ER has been the first that had such a long continuous playthrough. I'll probably still put in some time here and there, but that feeling of "it's time to move on" is setting in.
@
Are you planning a second playthrough? Just saw an article about someone that maxed out the play clock @ 999:59:59

#234 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Are you planning a second playthrough? Just saw an article about someone that maxed out the play clock @ 999:59:59

Right now, I’m thinking I’ll very likely do a second play through. Does everyone always do NG+ or do people also just start over entirely? I’ve been doing a mage build, and I would be very curious to see what it’s like to do a melee build. I’m not great at melee so think it would be more of a challenge to me. There are so many different ways to play that I feel like I would be missing stuff if I didn’t try a couple more playing styles. But I’m also cognizant that eventually I’ll tire of the game despite how good it is.

Right now, I’m trying to defeat the Fire Giant. I’ve gotten close a couple of times but can’t seem to deliver that final blow. That’s my main goal for my next few sessions.

#235 1 year ago

well, i'm officially bored of this game for now, pending some DLC. Did 4 full playthroughs, all NPC questlines, basically everything I could want to accomplish. Absolute monster of a game, but I'm moving back to Dark Souls 3 to keep it fresh.

#236 1 year ago

Woo hoo! Beat the Fire Giant ….. finally.

2 weeks later
#237 1 year ago

I just got to Haligtree and feel the end is in sight. Just trying to decide what I do next when I beat the game.

How many of you (a) just kept playing and discovering more areas assuming you still can, (b) immediately started (or at least soon started) new game +, or (c) started completely over with a new character?

Also, if you start NG+, can you respec? I’m assuming you need to complete that part of the story again before you respec. I’m asking because I’ve been playing as a mage primarily building intelligence, but I’ve been thinking of either doing a build based on faith or perhaps even trying a melee build. It seems starting over entirely might be better for different builds, but I’m not sure I want to entirely lose all of my progress and discoveries.

#238 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just got to Haligtree and feel the end is in sight. Just trying to decide what I do next when I beat the game.
How many of you (a) just kept playing and discovering more areas assuming you still can, (b) immediately started (or at least soon started) new game +, or (c) started completely over with a new character?
Also, if you start NG+, can you respec? I’m assuming you need to complete that part of the story again before you respec. I’m asking because I’ve been playing as a mage primarily building intelligence, but I’ve been thinking of either doing a build based on faith or perhaps even trying a melee build. It seems starting over entirely might be better for different builds, but I’m not sure I want to entirely lose all of my progress and discoveries.

You can re-spec in NG+ but like you said, you have to get there in NG+ first before you can do it. It would be worthwhile, imo, to keep playing the same character vs starting a new game. for me, NG+ was pretty easy early on, but at about 50% it ramps up again, or maybe I just sucked again. Who knows?

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You can re-spec in NG+ but like you said, you have to get there in NG+ first before you can do it. It would be worthwhile, imo, to keep playing the same character vs starting a new game. for me, NG+ was pretty easy early on, but at about 50% it ramps up again, or maybe I just sucked again. Who knows?

I suppose I could create a dummy login on the PS4 and start a new game there while also simultaneously playing NG+ on my main account login. But, I’m not sure how much time I’m going to throw into this after beating it once.

1 week later
#240 1 year ago

I’m in the last stretch of the game, trying to progress through Mohgwyn’s Palace and Haligtree, and I find these areas to be so impossibly difficult despite the fact that I’m over level 150, that I’m losing motivation to play. I was enjoying a good stretch in the middle of the game where I felt like the game was well balanced for me, and I could make decent progress. But now it just seems like I’ve hit a wall. Any advice?

#241 1 year ago

Have you maxed out your weapon levels?

#242 1 year ago
Quoted from pch3727:

Have you maxed out your weapon levels?

Yes. My two staffs and my one sword are both all the way up to the dragon smithing stone level. I’m 80 int, 40 mind, and 40 vigor. I had been raising faith a little to have more spells. I’m 23 faith at the moment.

#243 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Yes. My two staffs and my one sword are both all the way up to the dragon smithing stone level. I’m 80 int, 40 mind, and 40 vigor. I had been raising faith a little to have more spells. I’m 23 faith at the moment.

Re-spec and get some DEX in there to use Katanas. Moonveil will work well with your high INT. the trouble I have with pure mage runs is casting time and trying to make distance when you're overcrowded. Having melee to hit the crowds when they they get too close will give you better balance. The Moonveil has a very quick horizontal ash of war attack that will help with that. Your high INT will make it strong.

#244 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Re-spec and get some DEX in there to use Katanas. Moonveil will work well with your high INT. the trouble I have with pure mage runs is casting time and trying to make distance when you're overcrowded. Having melee to hit the crowds when they they get too close will give you better balance. The Moonveil has a very quick horizontal ash of war attack that will help with that. Your high INT will make it strong.

Fair point. Yeah, casting time is a liability at times.

That said, I finally pushed through and made it to Malenia in Haligtree. I get through her first stage pretty easily. I’ve gotten about halfway through her second stage. Only attempted a few times, so I’m feeling a bit better right now.

2 weeks later
#245 1 year ago

Finally beat Elden Ring. 130 hours plus. It took me forever to finally beat the Elden Beast. Absolutely great game! I can’t remember the last time I sunk that many hours into something over several months.

Haven’t started NG+ yet as I still have a few areas to try to finish. I finally respec’d to try some more faith based gameplay. Though, I may take a break for a while. I do have other hobbies . . . I think.

1 month later
#246 1 year ago

I think I had close to 300 hours into the game, but I was trying to be thorough by exploring everything. Plus, doing a lot of rune farming as well.

I started NG+ and found there wasn't anything there to keep me coming back. I haven't touched the game in months.

The game isn't perfect for sure.... I was most disappointed that wearing armor hinders you more than not wearing any at all.

Rob

#247 1 year ago

Elden Beast Rant:

I'm pissed. Almost entire playthrough, I've been a tank build, stumbled across the grafted sword early on and I was good to go for the entire game. Followed up with a mimic tier, jelly shield, and later bull goat armor, it was a steady go until I had to grind a bit on the fire giant, and Black Blade almost made me snap my controller until I discovered that claw item which turned that around. Around level 120 and I'm at the end. Radagon would wear me down too much so stood no chance against the beast, so grinded to level 140. My tank build just doesn't work with the grafted sword, as the beast is constantly pounding me from a distance, so tried a few switches and leveling up different items. Found the Tank/Faith build with the Blasphemous sword using its special and crush through Radagon, at times only using 1 flask for magic. Damn beast, though, got him all the way down to a sliver of life one time and then got crushed. I keep reading to get behind him and I simply can't as it's constantly running away. Read that the pest threads will do the job, so spent time getting that nonsense, and it is ridiculously bad from a distance. Up close and it melts life away, but so does my blasphemous' special. Leveled up to 151, no difference, played a bunch using the power boost from the powers you get from the big bosses (totally can't remember what these are called), still get it handed to me, although my life doesn't chip away as quickly. It's those damn arrows that rain down, if I'm close they seem to hit me no matter what direction I'm running, and those blade arcs from afar destroy me regardless of me rolling into them. In my games, these have become the norm for what he constantly uses against me and they wipe me out quick. I'm pretty good at dodging/jumping/outrunning everything else. My mimic tier seems to just scratch himself against the beast as opposed to drawing away any type of aggro and when he does decide to land a hit, the beast gets him in a few flying circle attacks to kill him off. My stats are leveled mainly in faith, strength, vigor (the highest), and endurance. Running talismans/spells to enhance fire damage and prolong it. Still wearing bull goat armor and now no shield but use a siegal to cast. What did ya'll use to take the beast down, as I'm pretty much done at this point?

#248 1 year ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

got him all the way down to a sliver of life one time and then got crushed.

If you did this once, you’ll do it again and eventually beat him. There’s a reason the beast is last. It took me many, many attempts. I was an intelligence build, so used spells.

To run from the arrows that rain down, I’m pretty sure I just ran in a direction around him. If you can’t outrun them, are you sure you’re not overloaded or something?

Once you beat him, you get a great sword which will match nicely with your faith build.

Keep at it!

#249 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If you did this once, you’ll do it again and eventually beat him. There’s a reason the beast is last. It took me many, many attempts. I was an intelligence build, so used spells.
To run from the arrows that rain down, I’m pretty sure I just ran in a direction around him. If you can’t outrun them, are you sure you’re not overloaded or something?
Once you beat him, you get a great sword which will match nicely with your faith build.
Keep at it!

Not overloaded, but am a heavy build. From afar I can outrun these things no problem. When I'm up on the beast, the first few are right behind me, where the next 20 damn arrows that follow chip at me closer and closer. And the blade waves, yeah, I've yet to dodge all four. My TV almost took a hit from my controller, so figure I better take a breather for a few days and come back to it later...a game has not aggravated me this much in a longgg time.

#250 1 year ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Elden Beast Rant:
I'm pissed. Almost entire playthrough, I've been a tank build

Maybe part of the problem is choosing to be a tank because that really doesn't work well in this game against bosses and invaders.

Once you get the blasphemous blade, the game suddenly becomes A LOT easier. It's stupidly powerful and easy to use.

Rob

There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eldin-ring/page/5?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.