Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by modfather
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EL_PWR_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    20to12v_ELpower_(resized).png
    20to12v_ELpowercircuit_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

EL wire hooks up to inverters. Those require a precise voltage at what the inverter is rated. Anyways, you're going to want to use something like a PIG to handle this. Or even a relay that triggers on flasher voltage. Flashers are pulsed and overdriven. You cannot hook the EL inverter to the flasher circuit directly.

EL wire is also very dim which makes it a terrible choice to go off with a flasher.

#6 8 years ago

I've actually had these inverters catch fire. Not just smoke but actual flame. This is nothing I would ever want to be overdriven by flasher circuits (which actually run closer to 18v in pulses).

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

What about GI , what's the output on that? They have an inverter that takes 9-12V .

GI is A/C unfortunately and won't run an inverter properly.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ummm.....maybe if flash stayed on, some magic smoke opportunities....but on intermittent flash? Negative....mine get warm during a long evening, but nothing near dangerous....I power all my other EL stuff w dedicated 12v DC converter to my inverters.....zero problems.....been on my TRONLE for over 2 years now, and my IM approx 3 months....I would not use the PIG2 to trigger, however....

You're particular success does not negate the potential problem. Inverters are absolutely not made to run past their designated input voltage. Different flashers are handled in different ways and the voltage far exceeds the inverter spec. "It seems ok for me" is not a counter to that. As for the pig2, it's actually made for this purpose. There's no reason not to use something like that.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Isn't this the place for a fixed 12 power source and a relay to turn it on?

Yes

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-wire-on-flashers?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.