Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by modfather
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EL_PWR_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    20to12v_ELpower_(resized).png
    20to12v_ELpowercircuit_(resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

Can anyone help me on how to install EL wire hooked up to a flasher(stern)? From what I have found just hooking up a 12v inverter is not enough as it will burn out . What is required ?

#2 8 years ago

EL wire hooks up to inverters. Those require a precise voltage at what the inverter is rated. Anyways, you're going to want to use something like a PIG to handle this. Or even a relay that triggers on flasher voltage. Flashers are pulsed and overdriven. You cannot hook the EL inverter to the flasher circuit directly.

EL wire is also very dim which makes it a terrible choice to go off with a flasher.

#3 8 years ago

The EL whips on my IM are hooked up to the flasher circuit and they look great. When I get home I'll see how I have it connected.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The EL whips on my IM are hooked up to the flasher circuit and they look great. When I get home I'll see how I have it connected.

Through the inverter, I would guess...and yep, they look great in that application...

#5 8 years ago

Yea that's what I want to do , trying to make my own whips

I suppose if that sucks I could hook them to GI which is what refinery does.

#6 8 years ago

I've actually had these inverters catch fire. Not just smoke but actual flame. This is nothing I would ever want to be overdriven by flasher circuits (which actually run closer to 18v in pulses).

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Any chance we get some vid or good pics of this? Sounds awesome!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I've actually had these inverters catch fire. Not just smoke but actual flame. This is nothing I would ever want to be overdriven by flasher circuits (which actually run closer to 18v in pulses).

I hear you ... Lots of odd have them ex. Sparky helmet and Whiplash Whips... So either these guys are doing something else or their mods could catch fire ?

#9 8 years ago

What about GI , what's the output on that? They have an inverter that takes 9-12V .

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

What about GI , what's the output on that? They have an inverter that takes 9-12V .

around 6v

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

GI is A/C unfortunately and won't run an inverter properly.

#12 8 years ago

I thought the GI circuit is AC and the inverter requires DC. I have contacted el wire dealer and he said you can not drive the inverter with AC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#13 8 years ago

Ok plan C... Could I connect to th 12v by the coinbox and/or use a DK pinball adapter to the 12V inverter ?

If so where is the best place to get some molex connectors and wire since Radio Shacks have vanished ?

This would be an always on option .

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Ummm.....maybe if flash stayed on, some magic smoke opportunities....but on intermittent flash? Negative....mine get warm during a long evening, but nothing near dangerous....I power all my other EL stuff w dedicated 12v DC converter to my inverters.....zero problems.....been on my TRONLE for over 2 years now, and my IM approx 3 months....I would not use the PIG2 to trigger, however....

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ummm.....maybe if flash stayed on, some magic smoke opportunities....but on intermittent flash? Negative....mine get warm during a long evening, but nothing near dangerous....I power all my other EL stuff w dedicated 12v DC converter to my inverters.....zero problems.....been on my TRONLE for over 2 years now, and my IM approx 3 months....I would not use the PIG2 to trigger, however....

You're particular success does not negate the potential problem. Inverters are absolutely not made to run past their designated input voltage. Different flashers are handled in different ways and the voltage far exceeds the inverter spec. "It seems ok for me" is not a counter to that. As for the pig2, it's actually made for this purpose. There's no reason not to use something like that.

#16 8 years ago

How about a simple zener diode regulator to make sure the voltage is never more than 12v at the EL inverter. Something like this across the flasher (source IN):

I don't have actual specs of the inverter, but I doubt the current draw will ever be more than 60mA for the length of EL wire used in mods. I'd just use 1W on both components to play it safe. The whole thing will only cost a couple bucks at most.

20to12v_ELpowercircuit_(resized).png20to12v_ELpowercircuit_(resized).png

20to12v_ELpower_(resized).png20to12v_ELpower_(resized).png

#17 8 years ago

Can you guys Commment on my plan C above?

#18 8 years ago

if you connect at the coindoor, the el wire will be on all the time.

#19 8 years ago

Plan C just won't seem interactive at all because it will always be on. I personally hate lighting mods that are still on when all the GI turns off during effects. Plan C is just not an option to me.

#20 8 years ago

Isn't this the place for a fixed 12 power source and a relay to turn it on?

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Isn't this the place for a fixed 12 power source and a relay to turn it on?

Yes

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You're particular success does not negate the potential problem. Inverters are absolutely not made to run past their designated input voltage. Different flashers are handled in different ways and the voltage far exceeds the inverter spec. "It seems ok for me" is not a counter to that. As for the pig2, it's actually made for this purpose. There's no reason not to use something like that.

Mike recommends to not use the PIG2 to trigger the inverters......just going by a post he had made some time back about that.

Current draw is low, and yes, I use a regulated, dedicated 12v DC power supply for the EL stuff.

Wouldn't recommend running any electronic component " beyond spec", so probably a good idea to verify w type of inverter you are using ....many have minimum/ maximum voltage tolerance rating/ inrush/ ampacity/ blah, blah on the spec sheet.

There are differences .......

#23 8 years ago

As for plan C I am not totally apposed to it mainly because the flashers tend to drown out the effect anyways .. Also
    Whiplash's are always on in the movie and then the spark etc... So the flasher is the spark . Seems to solve the issue on the 12v.

I will agree them not going off with GI is kinda lame.

The refinery Whips are "always on" wonder if they go off with GI. I would just buy those but they seem to have gone up in price

#24 8 years ago

First 4 I looked up were 12v DC nominal input......acceptable 10-15v....mine trigger straight from the flasher....doesn't suck...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Do like Tekman regulator recommendation, though....better safe than sorry...

#25 8 years ago

Does look good, do you wire the straight to the flasher ?

Where did you buy he EL wire and inverter from , cool wire or glow hut?

What did you use to shape it?

Looks good

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Does look good, do you wire the straight to the flasher ?
    Where did you buy he EL wire and inverter from , cool wire or glow hut?
    What did you use to shape it?
    Looks good

Thanks...the white whips w blue flash really gives a nice " electric spark" effect.....wired directly to flasher....

Hooked custom built this one for me ( I'm good w electrical, but not that form wiring stuff..a definite art)....

I buy all my EL paper, wire, and inverters from adafruit.com ( did a lot of EL on this machine myself...you can look at the " IM Adreneline Junkies" thread for some pics....

#27 8 years ago

Need to shoot some video of this.....really looks good.....highly recommend

#28 8 years ago

Tekman how do I wire the diode if I try this ?

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Tekman how do I wire the diode if I try this ?

Here you go. The two most important things to take into consideration is polarity of you flasher taps/connections and the placement of the resistor BEFORE the zener. The positive wires to the flasher often have a thicker wire, solid colors, and multiple wires. You MUST still verify this with volt meter. The positive side will always have power and can easily be verified with the ground lead connected to the cabinet ground braid and the positive lead to the flasher tab.

EL_PWR_(resized).pngEL_PWR_(resized).png

#30 8 years ago

Awesome thanks! What happens if I hook it up backwards stuff blows up?

#31 8 years ago

Just curious: EL needs an inverter because it runs on AC, correct? The inverter takes in DC and puts out AC. So, can you not just hook it up to the AC GI, sans inverter?

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

Just curious: EL needs an inverter because it runs on AC, correct? The inverter takes in DC and puts out AC. So, can you not just hook it up to the AC GI, sans inverter?

Negative....inverter works kind of like a coil for old auto ignition....12vdc in....a gazillion volts A/C out, but at low amperage....the ones for EL stuff need to put out anywhere from 90-110volts A/C to energize the phosphor ( won't kill you, but definitely get your attention)......

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Negative....inverter works kind of like a coil for old auto ignition....12vdc in....a gazillion volts A/C out, but at low amperage....the ones for EL stuff need to put out anywhere from 90-110volts A/C to energize the phosphor ( won't kill you, but definitely get your attention)......

Ah, gotcha.

#34 8 years ago

I have some stuff coming in gonna give it a shot

1 week later
    #35 8 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help , added the chest LED too

#36 8 years ago

looks awesome mandlebloom, nice job buddy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-wire-on-flashers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.