image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
f21920b5c440a987b68a6a9f84d76b94e867a9d2_(resized).jpg
tron-rails-blue_(resized).jpg
New-gadgets_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

www.adafruit.com. All the EL goodies there.....have some stuff ready for when my IM metal rails and hinges back from powder!!!!!!

#8 8 years ago

Umm...I can give you tips on how I've done it....pm, if you'd like....biggest tip: careful how you route the wires from the rails into the cabinet ....a guy I know had a small short on the right rail....EL worked, but would shock the shit out him every time he leaned over rail to work in cab w power on ( didn't kill me but definitely gets your attention)......

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I was going to ask mike from DK so I can hook it into a Pig2, I need to find longer strips that are wide enough to light that sword cutout.

Hopefully, the EL tape on the adafruit site will work....you can trigger and supply the 12v w the pig2, but still need the inverters....

#11 8 years ago

Looks like the strips on the site might be long enough, but not very wide.....I'd shoot them an email ...they make all kinds of weird stuff.....

#13 8 years ago

My TRONLE has chrome rails, and the EL looks awesome!!! a very rich, glowing effect, that stands out well. We will see how it does behind the candy apple in my IMVE.....

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Is it possible to run this EL paper through a printer? It'd be cool for instruction cards.

I've actually got EL under my semi translucent instruction cards...looks pretty cool, but no, you can't run it through a printer ( to my knowledge)....

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Just post it... I don't understand what the big freakin' secret is around all this crap. I've been trying to get people to post viable, SAFE information on doing these mods for like 2 years. So I mean...if you want to send it to PM, or for me to grovel in PM to get the information..I can do that then repost it?

No groveling needed, just wasn't sure what info you wanted....Ill be happy to post pics once I get my metal works IM rails back from the powder shop on how I do it.....not really complicated, just time consuming to a degree.

Hopefully my rails get back in a week or so, and the documentary shall begin.....

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

*shrug* Doesn't matter to me. Until I find someone that can laser cut lollipop rails for a custom design at a reasonable price, I don't need the info. I'm smart enough to figure it out on my own, but I'm not motivated enough as of yet. Just hoping some pending car repairs don't force me to sell Tron. It sure does feel like there's some out there though with the information that are trying to protect their profit margins over helping the community. (not accusing anyone on this thread)

I just do this as a hobby for me, and don't sell anything...apologize if I came off as standoffish....not my intent at all...I've just gotten used to dealing w the stuff from having to dick around w my TRONLE for a couple years now....

As Flank said...DON'T SELL TRON!!!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I did talk to Mike and he said he didn't like running any EL through the pigs, he also said he didn't think he was going to make any more Pig2's so that sounds out the window for now.

I've been dealing w Mike for a bit as my PIG2 has definitely developed some weirdness ....Mike's a great guy ( from our emails) and just think there may be a bump in the road....I admire him for helping our hobby, and hope he figures out some of the wonky behavior.....

No way you would want to run the EL ( hot side) through the PIG, regardless.....

#25 8 years ago

You have to use both 12v and 5v for the PIG to work ( 5v for " brain" and 12v for the rest) I modified a PC power supply to drive mine...

Suspect the 12v out would probably work for the inverter, but the output side would fry it....

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I am not sold, I think just standard black offsetting the Blue EL paper glow looks best.

Yes, black behind EL looks best.....I'll post pics of my TRONLE tonight, but can't show how assembly until I get my IM rails back from powder (not taking my TRON back apart)

#31 8 years ago

btw.....you put the EL paper right to the holes in the rails hinges, then secure w simple, black gaffers tape. The trick is it has to be very thin, and wire has to be routed carefully along inside of the rail (taped) so everything fits nice and wire goes down through a groove at back of cab and backbox. Hinges are pretty easy to do this.

Take your time when you cut the EL paper (clean cut), making sure the power connector is still involved in the shape

The inverters get warm (not hot), but you want to mount (velcro works) inside the bottom of the cab, not physically touching anything else....sometimes they make a high pitched noise, but you won't hear it w machine on.....current draw depends on how big the sheets (or strips) are.....

All of this info is readily available info @ adafruit.com

I found in the past the cheap stuff on ebay dims quicker than their stuff (wasted $100 on ebay for a Moe's sign in my newbie days). And yes...ALL EL eventually dims, but you can get years out of a home use machine before it get's too noticable (my instruction cards are do for a change, but I want to get IM done first)

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Thanks Mike
I was needing a connector for power.

You got it Buddy!!!!....anxious to get back up to your place later this spring.....(my name is still Mark though).....

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I posted some pics a while back here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/2#post-970663
I don't think I've seen orange but that would probably look good also.
I bought two strips with inverters off ebay. I don't know the size, but measure the openings and you'll find something similar. I recall they were slightly taller than the vertical area of the rail, so I curled over the top. Apparently they can be trimmed but they say it will lose brightness. No light comes through into the inside of the cabinet.
Used some painters tape to stick the paper to the cabinet.
I removed the plastic channel. There's like 2 or 3 staples holding it in place. Then used a very thin gauge wire and tucked it in the cabinet's routed channel. It enters at the corners under the lockdown bar. I had to trim off part of the plastic channel so it didn't go as deep into the cabinet.
Same process for each side, and separate inverters for each. I molexed the inverters and plugged them direct into DK's SRT-8 (?) splitter.
MK6 is right in that they make a squeal sound and it seems to come from the paper itself, not the inverters, and it's not noticeable when pins are being played.
PS all this info is super secret squirrel!

Spot on!!! I was actually able to slot my channel and run both my rails and hinges for TRONLE up at the backbox. I think w IM (big sheet down at the flipper area) I'll have to sneak in there......The kit I bought has the bigger inverter (claims it can run two panels w one) so I bought a splitter.....we will see......

oops....secret/ secret!!!!

#36 8 years ago

if someone would only do orange!!!! that color seems to be a bitch all the way around (including led's)....

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'd like to see a pic of your instruction cards.

I can shoot those tonight...will be a bit late.....

#41 8 years ago

Tron cards? can you share with the class?
Also I would be interested in paying for nice cards for all 11 of my machines. I don't have a great glossy printer and am not a graphic artist.

Yes....apologize ...I'm in a soccer tournament w m Son this weekend, and will post when I get back tomorrow .....a very subtly, but cool upfit....

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Sorry Mark G. It's was another late night post like this one.

No worries Buddy.....you're the man!!! Absolutely nothing like a cool drive inn w pinball!!!

#43 8 years ago

Tron cards? can you share with the class?
Also I would be interested in paying for nice cards for all 11 of my machines. I don't have a great glossy printer and am not a graphic artist.

Here's a couple of pics ( grainy, on my iPad):

1st is with the white el paper only
2nd is with translucent photo put on top of it

Effect is subtle, but pretty cool, because they kind of " glow" without interfering w other aspects of lighting....have some new white sheets coming, as these have dulled a bit

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#44 8 years ago

I'm gonna have some extra aqua left over when I'm done w my IM, so I might swap to see if it looks better than white...

#45 8 years ago

Alright...my badass powdered IM rails came in today...I'll post pics and some detail stuff when this bad boy goes together over the next couple of days.....

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Woohoo, can't wait.

Mapped it out tonight....hinges will be easy, but the rails are going to be a bitch.....

#48 8 years ago

Here we go.....note...apron not done yet....there will be EL emblem on it, as well......Ill post a few pics w notes, and a couple of " finished" shots.....keep in mind it's Saturday , and already into the Crown Royal....

#49 8 years ago

First, this applies to IM w pin metal aprons...concept the same, but application will vary a bit....first, pics of the candied armor:

#50 8 years ago

Hinge first..note EL paper location, and how it was cut and mounted:

Biggest thing to remember here...wire MUST go behind plastic glass guard or it will pinch and short...you can cut the paper anyway you like provided it is a continuos shape, AND the 2 leads are attached...in this case, I actually folded the leads back, to route properly.

Once you get the wire cleanly behind the plastic, use black gaff tape to attach wire to underside of backbox, so it disappears

#51 8 years ago

Paper around the flipper button was an absolute bitch....take your time...I removed the flipper button, then used a punch to create the hole for the flipper shroud. It's a press fit, so again, easy does it ( you can't drill this stuff easily as it tries to twist)

#52 8 years ago

Now the wire...I channeled a groove so the wire would be COMPLETELY BELOW the glass channel and potential lockdown bar issues, fit the wire, and epoxied in place....may seem extreme, but if that wire doesn't stay down....big trouble....best news w both these wire ways...no cabinet drilling was required.

Once the epoxy dried, used gaffers tape to keep wire tight in inside corners of machine...turned out real clean and pretty much bulletproof

#55 8 years ago

The rest is pretty straight ahead...I mounted inverters close to each panel. ( decided to use one for each, but one will drive 2 panels if you have extension cables). Hard wired a separate , switching 12v supply to drive....these things don't use much power, but I have other mods.......

Can take a picture of the inside of cab if needed, but pretty standard, wire way stuff...inverters get warm, so keep them away from other stuff.

#56 8 years ago

On # 4 now...so no more serious stuff...and no way in hell am I selling it now.......Ill post a pic of badass double whiplash el that Hooked custom built for me tomorrow.....guarding the couch right now.....

#57 8 years ago

Oh, if you're wondering, I've got red pulsing bright buttons in the middle of the EL stuff...pic looks like shit ( Flank has documented my crappy picture taking skills), but in person...whoa!!!

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Paper around the flipper button was an absolute bitch....take your time...I removed the flipper button, then used a punch to create the hole for the flipper shroud. It's a press fit, so again, easy does it ( you can't drill this stuff easily as it tries to twist..no scissors..kinks the paper for a small round hole)

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Would you trade it for a TRON?

Ha....I have them in separate rooms....TRON not sure how to take this, but she's knows it's over there and badass....what's the minimum recommended distance to separate these games?

#61 8 years ago

The pins holding the rails are being candied too, btw, and I'll need to add 2 screws to the big freakin lollipop...going gold w those...

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

can't have them on the same floor, otherwise things get weird

My buddy told me I should put them side by side...had to ask him to leave, as he obviously didn't understand...I've got 10 feet and a door between them....hope it's enough....

1 year later
#65 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

That’s a good looking IMVE!

Started out as a great machine to start my madness!!!!...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-paper-what-do-you-use?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.