(Topic ID: 326348)

EL Neon

By Spiderwolf

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1B63FE77-B20A-4642-857E-51E24CE061E8 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I’ve seen EL Neon a couple times in the past and and I wanted to add some to my Addams family, specifically to uncle fester. I was told I could find it on EBAY. Yes I found it but my question is hooking it up. Everything I’m seeing is powered by a controller. Do they make some that can be hooked to the GI or a flasher or does it have to be used with a controller. I want it to come on with the game. Anyone familiar with EL Neon ?

#2 1 year ago

EL wire requires an inverter to work, you cannot simply plug it into your GI.

This is a good overview to get familiar with the tech: https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire

#3 1 year ago

I did the same to my AF and added some EL wire to Fester in the chair and tied it to the flasher. He’s holding the wires like in the backglass. Easy to do. Just get the inverter.

#4 1 year ago

There is actually another option in which you do not need an inverter Google flexible led filaments. They are 3.0v so you will need a resistor, but they are pretty awesome and come in various lengths and colors. They are a bit brighter than El wire, which may or may not be what you are after.

US $10.92 58% Off | Diode Soft LED Filament DC3V 130MM 300MM Warm Color 2200K Retro Edison Bulb Filament Lamp Accessories LED Lamp Bead Accessories
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOOc8bw

Here is an example of red on a model i made:

1B63FE77-B20A-4642-857E-51E24CE061E8 (resized).jpeg1B63FE77-B20A-4642-857E-51E24CE061E8 (resized).jpeg

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I did the same to my AF and added some EL wire to Fester in the chair and tied it to the flasher. He’s holding the wires like in the backglass. Easy to do. Just get the inverter.

That’s exacty what I want to do with uncle fester. You said easy to do but if you’re unfamiliar with that it’s not easy for someone not really versed on electronics. Can you provide a little bit more direction as I’d love to try that.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Soulrider911:

There is actually another option in which you do not need an inverter Google flexible led filaments. They are 3.0v so you will need a resistor, but they are pretty awesome and come in various lengths and colors. They are a bit brighter than El wire, which may or may not be what you are after.
    US $10.92 58% Off | Diode Soft LED Filament DC3V 130MM 300MM Warm Color 2200K Retro Edison Bulb Filament Lamp Accessories LED Lamp Bead Accessories
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOOc8bw
    Here is an example of red on a model i made:
    [quoted image]

Awesome model! If I decide to go that direction, how would attach to a machine. Im not really versed in electronics but I install my own mods and can certainly follow directions. Just not real good with adapting electronics without instructions.

#7 1 year ago

One thing to keep in mind with the flexible LEDs is you can’t cut them. You can buy a little mini rope of them, but that’s the length you need to use.

Not a deal breaker just something to keep in mind if comparing them.

#8 1 year ago

Exactly @aurich. They are pretty straight forward one end is - and one end is +. You would solder a resistor (180ohm 1/4) on the - lead then solder some wire to both ends and solder to one of the GI sockets under the playfield. If you need help PM me… shoot I might even be able to make it for you if you tell me how long and what color, i have a bunch lying around. CHeers

#9 1 year ago

Comet pinball has Black Friday deals. I wonder if they have some good options?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Lets see a pic or vid of it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-neon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.