Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 days ago

I feel fortunate to be down to 2 minor issues with our barn-find El Dorado.
Everything is operational and the game is playable.

However, even after a full rebuild of all 4 flippers, they seem weak. There isn’t a lot of “snap” to the ball sending it up top. I did the PBR kit - sleeves, EOS, new links, bushings, and plungers. Is this just the way it is unless you get the stronger coils or hi tap it?

2nd issue is the ball count unit. My other 1 player wedge heads have a nice “clack” sound on each increment. This game has a noisy buzz. I’ve tried realigning the step up coil and the limit bar, but nothing has improved it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dave

#2 6 days ago

Make sure your flipper EOS switches have plenty of tension when they are closed. Gap them 1/8" to open. For that game I would install Orange Dot coils from PBR, that's what I had on my target Alpha and was very happy with the choice. Also I never have to high tap any of my machines, as they play fast when properly shopped.

2nd issue check the switches in back on the Ball Count Unit to make sure they are gaped and clean correctly.

#3 6 days ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I feel fortunate to be down to 2 minor issues with our barn-find El Dorado.
Everything is operational and the game is playable.
However, even after a full rebuild of all 4 flippers, they seem weak. There isn’t a lot of “snap” to the ball sending it up top. I did the PBR kit - sleeves, EOS, new links, bushings, and plungers. Is this just the way it is unless you get the stronger coils or hi tap it?
2nd issue is the ball count unit. My other 1 player wedge heads have a nice “clack” sound on each increment. This game has a noisy buzz. I’ve tried realigning the step up coil and the limit bar, but nothing has improved it.
Thanks for any ideas.
Dave

I'm sure you know that El Dorado and its AAB, 2P & 4P sisters boast the longest distance shot to the top PF of any EM (from the lower flipper), so you really need the extra power to drive the ball that far. I avoid high-tapping: I've seen the damage it can cause over time on every machine I worked on that had it. You can check resistance on the 4 flipper coils against spec, but I would replace them with more powerful ones from PBR. Orange dots are certainly an option, but I've found the yellow dots are a better choice. They give you enough power for the long shots but with less risk to the PF components closer to the flippers.

For the BCU, you should be able to operate it manually with smooth, definitive pulses through all positions and reset. If not, you need to get it working that way. Make sure the unit is clean and undamaged. Check spring tensions -- a common GTB stepper issue. Clean contact pads and points.

#4 6 days ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

I'm sure you know that El Dorado and its AAB, 2P & 4P sisters boast the longest distance shot to the top PF of any EM (from the lower flipper), so you really need the extra power to drive the ball that far. I avoid high-tapping: I've seen the damage it can cause over time on every machine I worked on that had it. You can check resistance on the 4 flipper coils against spec, but I would replace them with more powerful ones from PBR. Orange dots are certainly an option, but I've found the yellow dots are a better choice. They give you enough power for the long shots but with less risk to the PF components closer to the flippers.
For the BCU, you should be able to operate it manually with smooth, definitive pulses through all positions and reset. If not, you need to get it working that way. Make sure the unit is clean and undamaged. Check spring tensions -- a common GTB stepper issue. Clean contact pads and points.

Color correction note: Yellow dot coils are the higher power. Orange dots are a little less. Had those reversed in my post. Color blind.

#5 6 days ago

You might want to check the voltage at the flippers. The playfield power goes through the tilt relay so make sure that it is clean.

#6 5 days ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I resolved the ball count unit buzz - that came down to the limit adjustment on the stepper arm. It was shorter than the coil stop and caused the buzz. Once I gave it just a hair more travel, I got the same clack that I get on my other games. All other operation of the unit is smooth and correct.

I also checked out the path of the flipper voltage through the kick switch, and the S and R relays. I cleaned and adjusted them all for solid contact. At this point, with good technique, you can get the ball to the top of the machine. I’ll have to get a set of the orange dot coils to at least try an experiment. I’ll follow up with my results.

Thanks
Dave

#7 5 days ago

One more thing you can do to get more power out of the flippers is to move the rest stop back a bit.

I am speaking of the angle stop that has slotted holes and one fixed screw to lock it into position. No one really takes this into account as an available adjustment. For that long ass shot from the lower left flipper to the far right upper drop target I suggest you move the L bracket stop to allow the rest position to be further from the flipper coil. You will have to adjust the crank mount to the flipper shaft to allow the flipper bat to align properly. This adjustment will give the flipper plunger a longer stroke and more power. You should not be able to pound that longest drop target shot. So some trial and error is required to get it the right balance of power.

This approach allows you to fine tune your game without having to purchase hot coils.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Albertville, MN
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 219.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Electronics
TheDudeMods
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 115.00
Boards
Little Shop Of Games
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
$ 119.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 4,199.00
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside