New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 246847)

El Dorado upper arch - metal or plastic?

By dgAmpGuy

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinballdaveh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

In May, we acquired a “barn find” El Dorado. I’ve been scrubbing, rebuilding, and tuning it up since then. At this point it plays great, has a transplanted backglass from a better machine, and new playfield plastics. The cabinet needs some scrubbing and I’m hoping to get the silver paint off the coin door and slots. The wear and tear on the cab goes well with the old west theme, so I can’t see us doing a repaint.

One thing that puzzles me is that the upper right playfield arch is chromed metal, which I got to polish up pretty nicely. The plastic kit came with a plastic arch. I certainly don’t see enough clearance to get them both in there and I didn’t remove any plastic.

Is this some sort of upgrade to keep from beating the ball up on the metal arch? Did some of the machines have a plastic upper arch instead of metal? I’ve tried studying the many pictures of that game online but very few have a clear shot of that area, and a shiny chrome piece looks a lot like a shiny clear plastic one

I appreciate any info anyone might have.

Thanks,
Dave

#2 1 year ago

They included the plastic one in the kit because they could. And then, if your metal one was torn up, you could replace it. One or the other.

On the half dozen El Dorado's that have come through my hands I am always able to get the original metal one to clean up. Even if the radius is deformed a bit I've been able to hammer it back into place on an anvil and sand the edge smooth again.

#3 1 year ago

Has anyone ever drilled holes in the mini arch to install lamps. Like the old em’s with the lit arch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5.00
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 159.00
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 219.99
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.95
$ 25.00
Hardware
Police Force Spinner Out of stock
Tucson Pinball
$ 35.00
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 6,295.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Protection
COINTAKER.COM
$ 9.99
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside