image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
ED O relay jumper (resized).jpg
ED Ball return relay (resized).JPG
ED score motor (resized).JPG
ED O relay (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Work on my project El Dorado continues. Looks like the start up sequence is working ok, but no ball is getting kicked out from the out hole.

Do you know what tells the ball return relay to kick the ball out? I’ll check the ball return relay this evening.

Score reels seem to be resetting, drop targets resetting, A relay engages and then unlocks.

The ball count stepper in the head still needs to be worked on more, because it is hanging up a little and not as smooth as it could be.
Thanks,

Tom

#2 1 year ago

There are a couple things that need to happen for the ball to kick out.

First, the Ball Return switch needs to close when the ball lands in the outhole. If all the other switches in series with it are closed, this should turn on the O (Ball Return) Relay. The highlighted switch below marked "O" is a lock-in switch that keeps the O relay energized until the Motor 2B switch opens late in the score motor cycle.

ED O relay (resized).JPGED O relay (resized).JPG

Now that the O relay is energized, one of the switches on the O relay closes and starts the score motor turning:

ED score motor (resized).JPGED score motor (resized).JPG

In this circuit that fires the Ball Return Coil, the switch marked O should be closed since the O relay is energized. The score motor is turning, so when the Motor 4D switch closes, the Ball Return Coil should fire.

ED Ball return relay (resized).JPGED Ball return relay (resized).JPG

If the Ball Return Coil isn't firing, first I would make sure the O relay is firing when the ball drains. If not, you need to check each of those switches in series with the O relay in the first snippet and make sure that they're closed.

If the O relay IS firing, then you need to check the O switch, the Motor 4D switch or the Ball Return Coil itself in the last snippet.

#3 1 year ago

With the playfield raised. I can get the out hole coil to fire if I close the out hole switch and manually pull in the O Ball return relay.

#4 1 year ago

The O relay should pull in when you close the outhole (Ball Return) switch - you shouldn't have to pull it in manually. So one of those switches in the first snippet that are in series with the O relay (G, Motor 1C, Motor 2B, or A) isn't closed as it should be. The O coil itself could be bad, as well.

A jumper wire would be the easiest way to identify which switch isn't behaving as it should. Do you know how to do that?

#5 1 year ago

I’m learning Paulace! Haha.
I’ll see if I can find any jumper wire trouble shooting videos on YouTube.
Yes, the O relay definitely is not pulling in when I try to start a game.

#6 1 year ago

Using a jumper wire to narrow down where the problem is, is just shorting a switch or switches with the jumper to bypass them. If the circuit works after you've bypassed one switch, then that's the problem switch.

Check some posts from HowardR - he often has links to how to troubleshoot with jumpers.

#7 1 year ago

Here's an example:

Let's say you connect a jumper wire between the two arrows in the schematic below. What you've done is effectively shorted out both the switches between the 2 ends of the jumper wire - the Motor 2B and the A switch. You're not changing the circuit any - those 2 switches are supposed to be closed (shorted) anyway. If you then close the Ball Return switch and O fires, you know that one of those 2 switches isn't closed and is the problem switch.

If the O relay still doesn't fire, then you know the problem switch is one of the ones not jumpered. You can move the jumper wire around to eliminate individual switches or groups of switches until you've narrowed down which switch is the problem.

ED O relay jumper (resized).jpgED O relay jumper (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago

Thanks Paulace, that explanation helps. I’m struggling to identify the wire colors on the score motor switches. Ugh.

#9 1 year ago

Yeah, that can be tricky - those wire colors can fade over time. And there's the whole Gottlieb "+" and "-" thing with colors. MarkG has a good thread about Gottlieb wire colors: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-wire-color-trivia

Sometimes I've taken a flash photo of wires and blown them up on a computer screen - between the white balance of the flash photo and the increased size, sometimes that helps me make them out.

#10 1 year ago

Well that was a waste of 4 hours.
How many ohms resistance should the coil on the O relay measure? If I did that properly I had something like 15 ohms. I would like to see if the coil will even pull the O relay in.
Time to take a break for the evening.

#11 1 year ago

Be careful using a multi-meter on EM's. Alot of times there are parallel paths that influence the readings. It's best to remove one of the connections to the lugs, disconnecting the coil from the circuit. Then you'll get a more accurate reading.

With a jumper a quick way to check it would be to connect one side of the jumper to the RED-GR wire (right side of the A switch), just like in the picture in post #7, and then connect the other side of the jumper to the side of the O relay coil with a MAR wire soldered to it (the NON-black wire side). You're just bypassing all the switches and running 28V straight through the coil. If the coil's good, it should energize.

But breaks are good! Especially if you're frustrated.

#12 1 year ago

Are your score reels resetting to zero at start up?

#13 1 year ago

The O Ball Return Coil does not pull in when I do the jumper and the ball return switch is closed.

I guess I’ll take the O Relay out and look at the coil more carefully?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14 1 year ago

I removed the coil from the machine and it tests good for continuity.

So I’m confused why I can’t get it to energize and pull the O ball return relay in.

#15 1 year ago

When you say "good for continuity", do you mean a short (which would be bad), or a reading with some resistance?

Your O relay coil is an A-9735, which I think should read around 15 ohms or so.

#16 1 year ago

It was around 15.4 ohms and the meter beeped indicating continuity.

I found a broken wire on the hundreds score reel and fixed that. The score motor only turns 1/4 of a revolution when I hit the start button, so it’s like it isn’t s spinning around enough to reset all the score reels sometimes.

The O ball return relay still never pulls in when the button is pressed to start a game.

#17 1 year ago

El Dorado is flipping. There was a switch on the ball count stepper that was supposed to be closed.

#18 1 year ago

No flippers on ball 1 for some reason. Haha. At least there is some progress.

#19 1 year ago

Do you have any scoring on ball 1?

#20 1 year ago

Bottom right flipper is also not working. Yes, no flippers and no scoring on ball #1. I’m happy it’s working somewhat!

#21 1 year ago

I'd look over those switches on the Ball Count Unit closely. Particularly one that has RED+WH and RED-GR wires. Make sure it's closed during Ball 1.

#22 1 year ago

Thanks. Ball 1 is working now. After adjusting the switches on the ball count unit! Thanks Paulace.

Still not resetting the score reels every time I start a new game. Starts to reset, but stops half way.

Still no bottom left flipper.

#23 1 year ago

You never have the bottom left flipper? If that's the case, I'd examine the solder connections on the lower left flipper coil. If the upper left flipper is working, then the flipper button switch is good since it runs both flippers. Gotta be some sort of break in the wiring between the switch and the flipper coil. The coil itself could be bad too, but I think that's less likely.

#24 1 year ago

Sorry, bottom right flipper. I resoldered one of the lugs and all flippers are working! Thanks for all the help. It’s been a lot of hours!

#25 1 year ago

It’s playing ok. Outlines are not scoring and every other time the score reels count all the way down. Very fun to get it working.

#26 1 year ago

For that reset problem - here's the circuit that makes the score reels reset to zero:

ED reset circuit colored (resized).JPGED reset circuit colored (resized).JPG

When you start a game, the S relay fires, which switches the m/b S switch on the right side. A switch on the S relay starts the score motor, so when the Motor 2C switch in green closes, the A relay fires (via the green path), which closes all the green A switches above. S de-energizes at the end of the score motor cycle, so the m/b S switch is then as drawn on the schematic. A is mechanically latched on, so it doesn't need to be powered after it latches.

A switch on the A relay turns on the score motor, so the score motor is spinning and the Motor 1A switch in red is opening and closing 5 times for every 1/3 turn of the score motor. The 4 runout switches (1 on each score reel) are closed EXCEPT at zero. The green A switches are closed now, so each of the Motor 1A pulses can go through the A and runout switches on each score reel to make them turn. When they reach zero, 2 switches on the score reels change state - the runout switches open (which stops further pulses from getting through and making them turn), and the red Reset switches on the bottom line of this snippet close. So the Reset and Runout switches are now as shown on the schematic.

Now that the reset switches are all closed, when Motor 2B closes (late in the score motor cycle), the AR (Reset Completed Relay) fires (via the red path). The A and AR relays are interlock relays - on the same housing - which means that when one latches, the other releases. So when the AR relay fires, the A relay relaxes, which opens all those green A switches and stops the score motor from turning after it completes its last cycle.

A relaxing also closes that n/c A switch in your O relay circuit (top snippet of post #2), so the O relay can fire as well and your first ball gets kicked out.

So if your score reels aren't making it all the way to zero, it could be that your A relay is relaxing too soon due to the AR firing early - possibly because of misadjusted Reset switches that are closing early....or possibly the Runout switches on the score reels aren't adjusted correctly and are opening early.

You might have some score reel switch cleaning/adjusting in your near future. Luckily, you only have 4 score reels!

#27 1 year ago

Man, I do go on sometimes, don't I? Hope that last post was more useful than confusing.

#28 1 year ago

I’ve messed with the score reels a bunch over the last 3 days. Hopefully it’s only minor adjustments to fix the few remaining problems. I couldn’t have gotten it flipping without the help of you guys on pinside!

#29 1 year ago

You know, thinking about it a little more, I don't think the Runout switches opening early would cause that problem. If they opened early, the machine wouldn't finish reset - the score motor would just keep running. So look at those Reset switches.

Unless someone out there can see another possible cause.

#30 1 year ago

I guess you could also have a mechanical issue where the A relay armature slips out the latched position early, stopping the reset procedure.

#31 1 year ago

How far should the score motor revolve during a normal, successful start up? Mine seems to only be rotating about 1/3rd or 1/4 of the way around.
I'll mess with it more this evening after dinner. I'm also anxious to looking at what flipper adjustments can be made to help improve the strength of the bottom flippers so they can reach up top just a little easier.

#32 1 year ago

You can try cleaning the sleeves, linkages and contacts of the flipper mechanisms to see if you get more power that way. I worked on a Target Alpha down here and wound up using those "Orange Dot" flipper coils that Steve Young sells at PBR. They are the medium strength coils and they worked great for getting the ball all the way to those top drop targets with the table at the angle that I wanted it to be.

#33 1 year ago

I don't know how many score motor cycles are necessary for a reset - it would depend on what the score reels are when your last game ended. But if your score motor stops turning before your score reels are zeroed out, you have a problem obviously.

Up in post #2, the middle snippet - all those switches in parallel make the score motor run when they close. The Motor 1C switch is the one that makes sure the score motor turns until it gets to the home position each time it starts to rotate. The others are on relays. Since the A relay is involved so heavily in the reset procedure, I would think that A switch is opening early and stopping the reset process. Look closely at the A/AR interlock relay to see how it works, then see if the A relay is relaxing (or unlatching) early when the game doesn't complete reset. If so, you have to figure out why that's happening.

#34 1 year ago

Hi Paulace, I'm thinking more about the player unit and how that got the O Ball Return Relay to work. Looking at the schematic diagram you posted in post #7 of this thread, I'm guessing I closed the "6th position ball count unit" switch to get it all working, right? I wasn't even paying attention to the switches listed on the vertical lines. haha. That's a good learning point for me and this machine has me learning a ton of things so far.

Here's a list of things I've repaired to get this up and running to where it is now.

Repaired / resoldered a broken coil wire on one of the score reels.
Repaired / resoldered a broken wire going to one of the score reel circuit boards.
Installed a new coil for the upper left flipper.
Resoldered a broken wire to the bottom left flipper.
Took apart, cleaned, and adjusted the 4 score reels several times.
Cleaned the ball count stepper unit several times and adjusted the switches.
Messed around with the score motor and cleaned switches.
Removed every relay and cleaned them.
Cleaned the jones plug connections.
Used lots of alcohol and qtips.
Waxed the playfield twice.
Cleaned the plastics, posts, and installed new rubber bands.
Replaced 4 or 5 light bulbs.
Resoldered some wire connections to the O and A relays.

I think so far I only have about $65 into the repair bill.

I admit, reading the schematics is difficult for me. I'm understanding things better slowly, but I need to figure out how the score motor works and interpret that into something that makes sense for my brain.

It is very satisfying to look at the mechanisms, take things apart, clean them, and reassemble them. And it's a ton of fun to play the game. I'm looking forward to figuring out the last several adjustments.

#35 1 year ago

The score reel issue is resolved. I readjusted some of the switches on the A relay and that took care of it.

My only lingering problem is that the right out lane switch doesn’t score 500 points.

The machine is playing a little better each day. Just fine tuning the flipper angles and I’ll be done once that out laneworks right.

#36 1 year ago

If all the other rollover switches score 500 pts, then it should be something having to do with that switch in particular. Look under the pf at that rollover switch, make sure the contacts are clean and gapped correctly, that the wires are all connected as they should be.

#37 1 year ago

Thanks again Paulace. I looked at the switch and wires last night, but will focus on them again today. I'll start a game and make sure the other rollover switches also score 500. Hopefully this will be an easy one to fix. If I remember right, I can hear the score motor pulsing when the ball rolls over the switch, but no score reel action.

Once that is straight, I'll experiment with the flipper angles, unless there is a certain way they are supposed to be aligned.

#38 1 year ago

I like to adjust the flippers so that the top surface is parallel to the wire guides the ball rolls down before it gets to the flippers....it's just a smooth roll onto the flippers then. But I've seen people who like something different....whatever makes you happy.

#39 1 year ago

Here's what's involved in scoring 500 pts from the rollovers.

The top part of this snippet is where the rollover switches activate the D (500 pt) Relay - the red circuit. The green circuit is just the lock-in circuit for the D relay so that it stays pullled in long enough to score the 500 pts....Motor 2B unlocks the D relay when it opens at the end of the score motor cycle.

The bottom part of the snippet is how the D relay actually scores 500 pts. The D relay has a switch that starts the score motor turning, the D switch here is now closed, so since the motor is turning, the Motor 1A switch opens and closes 5 times, which gives 5 pulses that get through the now-closed D switch and the closed side of the E m/b switch, to fire the M relay 5 times, giving you 500 pts.

ED 500 pts (resized).jpgED 500 pts (resized).jpg

So, first you need to see if all the other rollover switches are scoring 500 pts....(except for the lit one, which should score 5000 pts).

#40 1 year ago

Thanks Paulace, it's the switch. I adjusted it some and it scores. I played a few games and it stopped scoring again, so I pulled up on the switch part that the ball rolls over. It played fine for a few games and then the hundreds score reel got hung up on the number 8, so I'll take that apart this evening and make sure it's operating smoothly. I think that's the one without the circuit board on it.

Anyway, thanks for your help through all of this. It appears to be just minor fine tuning adjustments at this point and it seems to be playing fine. It's a pretty fun game. Just gotta get the bottom right flipper cleaned and adjusted to have a little more power/longer stroke.

#41 1 year ago

Good...glad you found it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-dorado-start-up-ball-return and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.