Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I’ve recently started working on an El Dorado that hasn’t run in a long time. I’ve got a couple of questions in the “is this right?” category.

#1 Should there be a double row of rubber rings behind the drop targets or a single one? I originally thought this was the cause of the targets failing to drop all the way, then I learned about the cleaning and switch adjusting that was required. I’ve got them working fine with a single ring.

#2 is it normal to get the long, loud, buzz from the drop target reset? I realize there are some big 120v solenoids involved. I only found one YouTube video of the game start and it didn’t seem so loud and long.

Since this is such a popular game, I figured there would be a lot of experience on this.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure mine only has a single rubber ring. Not sure about the drop target reset buzz. My guess is what you have could be normal but if you are that worried you could link to a video of your pin.

#3 4 years ago

There are double rings behind the all 3 of the drop target assemblies. Not sure on your "buzz" question but there is more noise from the AC coils than you may be used to with DC coils.

#4 4 years ago

Sounds like your drop target coil cylinder may be getting stuck in the sleeve when activated (no pun intended). A stuck coil will buzz if not allowed to release once energized and eventually burn out. I would suggest check to see if it’s moving freely by manually activating it with the machine turned off. Many times these parts have incorrectly been lubricated. Only parts which are metal-on-metal sound be lubricated.

#5 4 years ago

(1) There should be two sets of rubber around both drop target banks. You can verify this by looking at El Dorado’s flyer. I think the double rubber helps keep the ball from getting stuck or breaking the plastics. On other drop target games with single bands of rubber (like Lucky Hand and Jacks Open) Gottlieb put other braces behind the rubber to provide this protection.

(2) A properly adjusted drop target bank shouldn’t buzz loudly. This tip from Mr. Pinball explains how to properly adjust it for optimal resetting operation:

https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0435.html

The bracket that mounts the reset coil to the drop target bank has four screws. Once loosened, you can slide the coil up and down, adjusting the point at which the solenoid plunger hits the coil stop, which is the depth of the reset. If the bracket is down too far and the coil stop doesn’t halt the stroke just right, the reset arm presses needlessly against the bottom of the “fingers” that lift the drop targets. That makes a helluva racket.

#6 4 years ago

Is the reset bank coil buzzing until the score motor cycle stops, like for a full second? I’m guessing that it resets each bank separately and not at the same time. Which one seems too long, or is it both?

#7 4 years ago

I had both an El Dorado and a Solar City in the distant past and I only used single rubber rings, but by golly both flyers do show double rings, darn it. This was before the internet so how would I know? 8D

#8 4 years ago

The link to adjusting the reset solenoids was just what I needed. I didn’t notice that those were movable. I still need to fine tune the placement so that I get all the targets reset, but I have solved the noise problem.

I see now that the flyer does show double rings (and that is what was on this machine when I got it).

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-dorado-setup-and-startup-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.