Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My El Dorado is mostly resetting, but the score reels are only advancing 5 positions, I think.

If I turn the game off and back on, and hit start, it finishes resetting and plays just fine for a game.

I don't have the schematic handy. Any thoughts on what would cause this behavior?

#2 8 years ago

Score reel switches out of adjustment. Could even be more than one requiring adjustment.

Also, check the score motor run switch. Could be dirty/pitted/out of adjustment.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Score reel switches out of adjustment. Could even be more than one requiring adjustment.
Also, check the score motor run switch. Could be dirty/pitted/out of adjustment.

Thanks for the info!

It's doing it so consistently with all reels, and was so perfect as of the last time I played it a couple weeks ago, I'm thinking I should check options other than the reels first.

Is there any easy way to track down the score motor run switch without the schematic?

#4 8 years ago

Motor switch 1A resets the score reels and motor switch 1C is the score motor run switch. On the inside cabinet wall next to the score motor should be stapled a score motor switch chart.

In your El Dorado game manual is a list of score motor switch functions.

#5 8 years ago

Does this game have a small latch/trip relay located on the bottom board to control the score unit reset? If so, that relay is supposed to latch on game start to enable the score reset, and then trip again when all the score units are back at zero. The relay can get sticky for a few different reasons, to the point where it doesn't actually latch on game start. The result is that the score units don't go back to zero and the game starts right away because the relay is already tripped. You can usually clean and adjust the armatures (latch plates) of this relay to get it unstuck.

If the score units are actually stepping toward zero during reset but the game is exiting the score reset cycle early, then you could have one or more run-out switches on the score units that are making contact even when the score is not at zero, as Ken Layton suggests.

Good luck! - TimMe

#6 8 years ago

My Jacks Open is doing the same thing pretty sure it's in the latch/trip relay or the score reels. I'm trying to fix it now. Let you know what I find.

#7 8 years ago

As TimMe says, check the "Reset Completed" interlock relay. On El Dorado, it's the 'A' relay on the score motor board, and is the one that latches/unlatches (it's the only interlock style relay El Dorado has).

Sometimes cleaning them and then adding a dab of SuperLube helps, other times the plate is better replaced.

(And welcome, TimMe; nice to see you join the EM fray here!)

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

You can usually clean and adjust the armatures (latch plates) of this relay to get it unstuck.

And if the latch plates are too far gone for some reason, I've obtained new ones from PBR in the past.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

(And welcome, TimMe; nice to see you join the EM fray here!)

Same here, Tim. I've seen your contributions on RGP and hope to see more of them here.

#9 8 years ago

Mine was all in the score reels. make sure they are adjust properly.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Does this game have a small latch/trip relay located on the bottom board to control the score unit reset? If so, that relay is supposed to latch on game start to enable the score reset, and then trip again when all the score units are back at zero. The relay can get sticky for a few different reasons, to the point where it doesn't actually latch on game start. The result is that the score units don't go back to zero and the game starts right away because the relay is already tripped. You can usually clean and adjust the armatures (latch plates) of this relay to get it unstuck.
If the score units are actually stepping toward zero during reset but the game is exiting the score reset cycle early, then you could have one or more run-out switches on the score units that are making contact even when the score is not at zero, as Ken Layton suggests.
Good luck! - TimMe

We have a winner!

It was just a switch in the latch relay.

Thank you for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-dorado-only-partially-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.