(Topic ID: 178239)

El Dorado City of Gold-No attract mode

By rcbrown316

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

0's on the displays sometimes. sometimes not. we were playing other games when we heard this clunking noise. turns out it was el dorado apparently rebooting multiple times so I went and turned it off. opened back box. reseated connectors and it stopped rebooting but there were no displays. turned it off and on again and the zeros came back on but it wouldnt take credits or start a game. opened coin door, pulled out the coin door switch into service position and it came on normal...in attract mode. went back to another game then the same thing happened. it's basically in that state now. doesnt get into attract or playable mode. i had a bad experience with another game reflowing finger pads so I am reluctant to just try that for kicks. i dont have a manual and would rather just buy a board and be done with it if possible. any suggestions for a quick repair would be appreciated. the time is more important than the cost of repair.

#2 7 years ago

Those symptoms could be anything....bad connections, failing chips, cracked solder joints...

The first thing I would do is check voltages, then clean the edge connectors with a pink rubber eraser.

Then, check for cracked solder joints.

Then use a diagnostic tool to help narrow things down:

http://pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_universaltester.php

#3 7 years ago

Such a great theme. Check ribbon cables. Sometimes those will show wear. Please report back if you fix issue.

#4 7 years ago

thanks guys. i will report back

#5 7 years ago

5 volts dead on PSB. i had one kicking around plugged it in and it reacted differently but still didnt work. contact pads on mpu connector that carries 5 volts were pretty corroded and fugged up. cleaned all contact pads on mpu, performed visual inspection...no dice. had an mpu I bought for volcano (which i gave up on) kicking around and discovered it could be used. put it in, worked for a while then crapped out again as I was waxing the PF preparing for my triumphant run of relentless testing with a johnny black on the rocks and buglers on the way. spun around in circles for a few more hours and gave up for the night. went back last night and tried swapping the psb to mpu connector that carries 5v. nope. disconnected displays one by one. nothing. swapped in driver board. nada. decided to go back to the 5v test. 4.1. discovered the pot (I have no schematic or experience). touched it and got scratchy sound from speaker to fluctuate. cleaned pot. put meter on TP 5V. adjusted to 5.12. BAM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-dorado-city-of-gold-no-attract-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.