14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg
Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg
opinion (resized).jpg
1024px-Todd_MacCulloch_playing_pinball (resized).jpg
pf_metallica_11shots.jpg
if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg
yep-its-just-you (resized).jpg
72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I might have heard this wrong but apparently they didn't use a Whitewood for it.

Quoted from Russell:

They just needed a white wood, you know, like they’ve been doing...FOREVER....?!?

Sorry but rumors on Pinside is a pet peeve with me and this is exactly how they begin. All it takes is a casual comment and the next thing you know it's preached as gospel. I'm sometimes amazed at how out of control Pinside can be with misinformation.

Can anyone verify this please. Maybe it's true but it seems absurd to me.

#18 6 years ago

All good my friend. I'm just looking for a little clarity in the Pinside jungle.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Joe Balcer on the SDTM Houdini Review confirmed that there was no whitewood made for Houdini...

Works for me. Thank you for the clarity. I guess I overreacted and I apologize to all.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Stick to my guns. For the record I don't apologize either...

You should run for Congress.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

This game was originally laid out by John Popaduik.

Sorry but this is incorrect. The AP Popadiuk design was completely discarded and Balcer began from scratch.

#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious if anyone has a mock up of the Jpop Expo design shown vs the production Balcer one?
Would be nice to see side by side

Here's Popdiuk's layout if you want to put a mock up together.

Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpgCtam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg

14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg

#111 6 years ago

Kevin and Russell

I'll be at the One Up around three today if you two knuckleheads can make it.

#125 6 years ago

I got over to the One Up today and played the same machine that Russell and Caucasian2step did. First let me say that both of these guys are far superior players than I am and I have mad respect for them both and their opinions. I'm more of a banger and these two are artisans with finesse.
But what I lack in playing skill, I can make up for in other areas like tweaking a machine.

My first game and half was brick, brick, brick on the right inner loop shot. It was so frustrating that I think it ruined any of my other shots and I did not enjoy myself. I stopped and leaned over close to the glass and by sight, I determined that the opening was barely wide enough for a ball to pass and near impossible. Lucky for me the operator (Dan G) was there and I know him.

I asked Dan if we could slide the glass and bend both of those targets slightly outward to open up the entrance. Dan is one of the best operators around and he knew what I was talking about. He reached in (big guy with meat paws) and using his thumb, bent each of them as I had asked. Visually I could see immediately it was an improvement and I muttered that I could drive a truck through that.

My very first shot I nailed it and like an awestruck small child, I turned to let Dan know. I went on to making a high percentage of those shots after that and I really began to enjoy it. It's still a challenging shot but very makeable now. I played seven games, which I don't consider enough to fully critique it nor do I consider myself gifted enough to do so. But I think I'd agree with most of Ezeltmann's review in comment 53 of this thread.

Bad news is the catapult only made one of about seven shots into the box and needs adjusting. The playfield is stunning and Houdini is still on my list of possible purchases. I wanna play it more before I pull the trigger but I found it unique and interesting on my first outing.

And I'll want to consult further with both Russell and Kevin (Caucasian2Step) as I do value their opinions.

Edit/Add: For clarity, it was more of a straightening of the targets rather than bending. They looked very natural at the entrance afterward, where before they looked bent in some.

#127 6 years ago

It was the most fun I've ever had without getting naked.

(yes, it was fun)

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think it is more that you are a competitive player and evaulate things with a more detailed eye/critique. The opinion of guys like Russel and You are very important and valid. Dont worry that Pinside has lots of people that become fanboys and defensive or attacking; it is just how it works on Pinside.
I value your opinion on it and you are the best game reviewer on Pinside, period. You have earned the right to tell it like you see it.

^^ This, well done Hilton.

Kevin, I only played it once but now I'm really anxious to meet you guys there and compare notes. And I did have some backhanding issues I'd like to explore with you. Like I said, not enough experience for me yet. - Let's find some time.

#141 6 years ago

Thank you very much. I'm flattered you would include me and I would love to be there. Thanks!

#155 6 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/either-i-can%e2%80%99t-shoot-or-houdini-is-poorly-designed?tu=mr68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.