14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg
Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg
opinion (resized).jpg
1024px-Todd_MacCulloch_playing_pinball (resized).jpg
pf_metallica_11shots.jpg
if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg
yep-its-just-you (resized).jpg
72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 6 years ago

When you have nine ball paths and only 2 flippers on a standard body it's going to be tighter shots. No game will be for everyone and if you do not like tight shots this one is not for you.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't agree with this. Good software can turn a boring game into a great game. But software can't fix bad shots. (I haven't played Houdini, not saying it has bad shots). If a game is clunky and not fun to shoot then it's gonna stay that way, even if the objectives grow in stature.
I think we've become somewhat reliant on this notion that "you can fix it in software", and it's a bad mentality for manufacturers, but it's also not great for consumers.
Why not start with a great layout, that's fun to shoot, and then put great code on top of it?

I'm not sure anything is clunkier or less satisfying to shoot then LOTR, yet the sound and code turned it into a game most people love.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't know what game you played, but LotR is nowhere near clunky town. It is quite stop and go, but that's different than clunky.

Yes it is, I've owned 3 different ones and one was even a HEP restore. It's a clunky as they come. Still a fun game though.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

LOTR was one of the best shooting pins ever played or owned. The sounds/music benefited from Gomez having full access to movie sound material which he only had with IJ.

You are the only person I've ever seen that things LOTR is a great shooting pin. It's not bad but it is clunky and it has the typical Gomez clunky feel to it. To say it is one of the best shooting pins is crazy to me, there's tons of games that shoot smoother then it.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

LOTR is a great shooting pin. Thats why i thumbed you down before.

Hate to ruin your fun but I'm a positive pinsider these days that has thumbs down turned off.

Lotr is a great game, it still shoots clunky though and has lots of odd feeling shots. Same as my BM66 which I also like.

#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I owned LOTR for 7+ years. And I agree it’s a clunky shooting game but not necessarily in a bad way. Besides the legolas shot, the ball rattles around as it makes its way through just about every shot. Still one of the best pins ever, and certainly not the clunkiest game around, but it does have a fair shake of clunk to it.

I mostly agree, it's a great game in spite of it's clunkiness.

Now back to Houdini, all of this talk about it being to tight and no fun has actually sort of made me more excited to play a production game. I'm interested to see if I feel the same or if it being so hard will make it a nice mix up game in a mid sized collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/either-i-can%e2%80%99t-shoot-or-houdini-is-poorly-designed?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.