14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg
Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg
opinion (resized).jpg
1024px-Todd_MacCulloch_playing_pinball (resized).jpg
pf_metallica_11shots.jpg
if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg
yep-its-just-you (resized).jpg
72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

No amount of software will save a layout that isn't fun.

Your points are more than valid when it comes to pinball and Houdini, but i have to disagree with this comment. Lyman Sheats, Dwight Sullivan, and Keith Johnson continue to prove time and time again that software is key to a good and fun machine, no matter the layout.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't agree with this. Good software can turn a boring game into a great game. But software can't fix bad shots. (I haven't played Houdini, not saying it has bad shots). If a game is clunky and not fun to shoot then it's gonna stay that way, even if the objectives grow in stature.
I think we've become somewhat reliant on this notion that "you can fix it in software", and it's a bad mentality for manufacturers, but it's also not great for consumers.
Why not start with a great layout, that's fun to shoot, and then put great code on top of it?

well I don't agree with this obviously, code can't fix everything. But some programmers know how to move the shots around so to speak to get the player to play it more fluently, add in exciting and rewarding light shows and sound, and it can in essence make the player feel more accomplished which in turn typically = fun! Good programmers, who are also good players, seem to know how to focus on the strengths of a layout while slightly deterring away from its weaker assets.

An example of this In the case of Houdini (now keep in mind I haven't played it so some of what I say here could be me speaking out my ass) would be getting the board to light up faster so there's more to do and more going on at a faster rate, Get some stacking earlier on and not so much chase 1 or 2 shorts and I guarantee it'll have a more fun appeal. Case in point, ragetilt stream - one of the bearded brothers (forget their names) started getting deep into the game and finally after watching so many games of Zach just playing mode after mode (one or two shots active), ragetilt had an active and very appealing board with many shots to aim for, then started multiball - I think even Zach did this once too while streaming. People who don't like Houdini probably have not seen or experienced this because it takes so much effort to get it going. There's a ton of shots in Houdini and from what I can tell, only a few shots are active or do anything at one time. Some tweaking and fine tuning of software can stretch the legs more and make it more appealing. These types of examples go for a lot of pins.

Another great example. BM66. Complete clunkfest and turd out of the gate - sprinkle Lyman fairies dust on it and look at it now.

How about WOZ; besides a minority of fanfare supporters, that game was considered a mess of a layout with no satisfying shots early on. Now it's complete magic and feels oh so good - one of my favorite pins.

Software can make or break a game - look at guardians, sweet ass layout, but ugh......Not all games, layouts, or code integrations are for everybody; but software can make a bad game good and vice versa.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Hate to ruin your fun but I'm a positive pinsider these days that has thumbs down turned off.
Lotr is a great game, it still shoots clunky though and has lots of odd feeling shots. Same as my BM66 which I also like.

I owned LOTR for 7+ years. And I agree it’s a clunky shooting game but not necessarily in a bad way. Besides the legolas shot, the ball rattles around as it makes its way through just about every shot. Still one of the best pins ever, and certainly not the clunkiest game around, but it does have a fair shake of clunk to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/either-i-can%e2%80%99t-shoot-or-houdini-is-poorly-designed?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.