14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg
Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg
opinion (resized).jpg
1024px-Todd_MacCulloch_playing_pinball (resized).jpg
pf_metallica_11shots.jpg
if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg
yep-its-just-you (resized).jpg
72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barryj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from FourFlippers:

Well, I hate to chime in here but I feel I must.
We purchased a Houdini for our place, #11 actually. It's one of 24 games in the house. For the first 2 weeks earnings were good, as expected with any new game, but then earnings declined rapidly. All other games continued earning as normal.
Issues we've seen so far are as follows:
-Air balls abound, regardless of settings.
-Stuck balls on a regular basis (see cause above). Especially in the Spirit Planchette area
-Upper catapult misses 80% of the time, regardless of settings
-Tight shots, mostly lock shot.
-NO MATCH SETTING (What??!! How was this missed?)
-Insulting players right off the bat. First game, First ball, miss the skill shot and the game insults you!? Now, I like ribbing as much as anyone but even Rudy and The Black Knight at least let you play for a bit before laughing at you or insulting you.
-Poor layout. Milk can shot is, as mentioned before, very risky and unnecessarily difficult. Wide shot on the left orbit, so wide in fact they put 2 switches there so the ball would hit at least one. They should have been adjusted the space on this shot prior to the final build which may have loosened up the tight lock shot.
-Poor Sound. The game has nice, large speakers but even after adjusting the $20 eBay amp they installed which is nearly impossible to get to behind the monitor, the game just doesn't sound good. Very tinny.
-Strange ball mechanism in the Stage. Customer: "Hey, there's a ball stuck in the theater" Me:"No, it's actually a ball welded to lever that's supposed to be there". ??!!
All in all, it seems the fun factor for this game just isn't there. Although some of these issues could be addressed with code, first impressions are over. If performance doesn't increase soon, It'll go up for sale and we'll move on to another title.

Sorry to hear about your game problems. Sounds like you need to fine tune a couple coils, I am attaching a link of the manual for your reference, see "To calibrate coils after moving or re-leveling Houdini" on page 3-10. I am out of the office until Monday feel free to reach out if needed.833-API-HELP

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

2 weeks later
#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sorry but rumors on Pinside is a pet peeve with me and this is exactly how they begin. All it takes is a casual comment and the next thing you know it's preached as gospel. I'm sometimes amazed at how out of control Pinside can be with misinformation.
Can anyone verify this please. Maybe it's true but it seems absurd to me.

There was and still is a white wood for Houdini... Who would design a game without a white wood to verify shots.... Especially a 22 inch catapult shot!

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I don't believe that a ball is welded into the theater. I believe that diagram show where the ball sits. I think you should post in the other thread and get some feedback from Josh or the other support guy. When the theater opens, is there always a ball in the theater? or are you talking about under the playfield? Can you see the weld?

Other support guy here, the theater does have a ball permanently attached as part of the apparatus.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barryj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/either-i-can%e2%80%99t-shoot-or-houdini-is-poorly-designed?tu=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.