14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg
Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg
opinion (resized).jpg
1024px-Todd_MacCulloch_playing_pinball (resized).jpg
pf_metallica_11shots.jpg
if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg
yep-its-just-you (resized).jpg
72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I had my first opportunity to play Houdini. Some of the shots are too tight.

It’s a beautiful game, with great theme, art, and LCD assets. Good luck to all involved in this project.

#6 6 years ago

Wait...what?

72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago

I have played it a few more times. Yes, you can get a few shots to fall here and there. I wonder if someone has a way to re-engineer thoses standup targets into something even more narrow, to help with the frequently rejected shots...? Some sort of round post that can register hits?

It did do something interesting, where it pulled a TNA symbol out of the hat...? I think that’s what it was, very hard to hear what it’s saying.

When it tells the stories about Houdini, it goes too fast and it hard to follow.

I have yet to see the catapult function correctly.

Fine, It’s not TERRIBLE. I mean it’s not Magic Girl or something. It’s beautiful, and even the screen graphics are cool. They just needed a white wood, you know, like they’ve been doing...FOREVER....?!?

I’m moving my deposit over to the next Stern game...Iron Maiden? Ugh, I guess so...

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sorry but rumors on Pinside is a pet peeve with me and this is exactly how they begin. All it takes is a casual comment and the next thing you know it's preached as gospel. I'm sometimes amazed at how out of control Pinside can be with misinformation.
Can anyone verify this please. Maybe it's true but it seems absurd to me.

I just heard this. Could be wrong. If so, I retract my statement without reservation.

#52 6 years ago

I stand by my comments about the layout. However, the art is simply stunning. The build quality appears impressive. The unusual cabinet did not stand out in a bad way among a row of modern Sterns. This game has got to be in the lead for next year's TWIPYs for theme and theme integration.

#73 6 years ago

I decided to edit my original post and title. Kaneda convinced me it was a bit too harsh. I figure if the Master of Trolls thinks it’s too strong, I should probably listen.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

"Master of Trolls"???
Please.

It’s a Pinball reference...and he’s a famous Pinside troll...get it...? Ah, nevermind.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Not that I necessarily agree with your initial comments you have the right to make them. Stick to your guns and don't let a bunch of people down voting you change your mind. Sometimes your opinion is unpopular. Stick by it, learn from it, and move on but for god sakes don't feel the need to edit...

I’m not changing my opinion, just my presentation. FYI, I’ve gotten off of the list for Houdini.

I agreed with Kaneda’s comments in that the previous title of my thread was unnecessarily strident.

Actually, TSPP is my favorite game of all time (check my ratings!) I can’t question Joe Balcer as a designer.

I disagree with your concept that you should always stick to your guns. Why? I reconsidered. So what?

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I got the reference. Just not the "master" association given certain other Pinsiders.
Back to Houdini ...

But...the reference is “Master of Trolls”, from Medieval Madness. It really doesn’t make sense without that. Anyway, if you have to explain a joke, it must not be very funny.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

You only reconsidered because people challenged your POV. If no one said anything or joined you in the same manner, your first post would still be the same. You can question anything and everything who said you can't? You're probably not the first and you wont be the last. Know how many people (still) questioned JT's gap on GB?

When I get additional information, I sometimes amend my thoughts...what do you do?

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Kevin and Russell
I'll be at the One Up around three today if you two knuckleheads can make it.

I wish I could. Have fun. Will be interested to see your Houdini review.

1 month later
#168 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

There was and still is a white wood for Houdini... Who would design a game without a white wood to verify shots.... Especially a 22 inch catapult shot!

43'40"

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

» YouTube video
43'40"

I would never want to take anyone out of context. Joe does mention that a version of a whitewood was made, to evaluate "form and fit", but it was not "built, wired and played." I wonder if it had been "built, wired and played", if perhaps the tightness of some of those shots could've been identified and possibly altered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/either-i-can%e2%80%99t-shoot-or-houdini-is-poorly-designed?tu=Russell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.