14568241_10210972127682707_5060623104488011913_n (resized).jpg
Ctam97-W8AARUeb (1) (resized).jpg
opinion (resized).jpg
1024px-Todd_MacCulloch_playing_pinball (resized).jpg
pf_metallica_11shots.jpg
if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg
yep-its-just-you (resized).jpg
72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg
There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

I had my first opportunity to play Houdini. Some of the shots are too tight.

It’s a beautiful game, with great theme, art, and LCD assets. Good luck to all involved in this project.

#2 6 years ago

You're right, they are really tight. Not impossible to hit though. It's a tough game.

#4 6 years ago

I might have heard this wrong but apparently they didn't use a Whitewood for it. I have yet to play it but I've heard the same. Will reserve judgment on that until I play.

#5 6 years ago

Sounds like a game I would like
Love hard shots, more rewarding when you make one.

#6 6 years ago

Wait...what?

72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg72A9C336-2A65-4675-B0EA-E34EB189BF75 (resized).jpeg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

...I choose to believe the latter.
I had my first opportunity to play Houdini. The shot architecture is LAUGHABLE. Those shots are so tight it completely destroys any potential fun of the game. It’s beautiful, but that’s about it. Who designed this game???

You might want to try it again. We had players of all skill levels playing the game in league this past week, game times were over 4 minutes for that group. Also, most everyone was able to find the shots after a few games. It just takes a bit of practice.

#8 6 years ago

Maybe it really is just you. Lmao

Just kidding.

#9 6 years ago

I have played it a few more times. Yes, you can get a few shots to fall here and there. I wonder if someone has a way to re-engineer thoses standup targets into something even more narrow, to help with the frequently rejected shots...? Some sort of round post that can register hits?

It did do something interesting, where it pulled a TNA symbol out of the hat...? I think that’s what it was, very hard to hear what it’s saying.

When it tells the stories about Houdini, it goes too fast and it hard to follow.

I have yet to see the catapult function correctly.

Fine, It’s not TERRIBLE. I mean it’s not Magic Girl or something. It’s beautiful, and even the screen graphics are cool. They just needed a white wood, you know, like they’ve been doing...FOREVER....?!?

I’m moving my deposit over to the next Stern game...Iron Maiden? Ugh, I guess so...

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I have played it a few more times. Yes, you can get a few shots to fall here and there. I wonder if someone has a way to re-engineer thoses standup targets into something even more narrow, to help with the frequently rejected shots...? Some sort of round post that can register hits?
It did do something interesting, where it pulled a TNA symbol out of the hat...? I think that’s what it was, very hard to hear what it’s saying.
When it tells the stories about Houdini, it goes too fast and it hard to follow.

If you play the game a bit more you will see all the pin mfrs get pulled out of that hat! Funny, good natured ribbing aimed at recent releases. Game sound in a loud room needs higher volume, that needs to be addressed. Who set up the game? After we set Houdini up and adjusted the catapult on site, I'll bet it hasn't missed once. Before we adjusted it, yeah it was throwing a little short. It is easy to change the setting, all the coils are individually adjustable.

That right inner orbit shot is probably the toughest one to hit. Just remember that you don't have to hit the shot very hard for the ball to go all the way around into the lock. Also, the Seance stand-up targets are a big part of the game. Wait until you actually want to hit the standups and find yourself missing and locking a ball instead, ha!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

That right inner orbit shot is probably the toughest one to hit. Just remember that you don't have to hit the shot very hard for the ball to go all the way around into the lock.

Back hand all day from what I’ve seen.

#12 6 years ago

The milk can is a tough shot and very unsatisfying when I do hit it. The lock shot is very tight but makeable. Every other shot is good. I am always best at hitting posts though.

#13 6 years ago

yep-its-just-you (resized).jpgyep-its-just-you (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

What Kvan99 said....

#15 6 years ago

Played it a bunch today. Great game. Love the difficulty. Game is tough.
Play more. Get better. You can do it! No excuses.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I might have heard this wrong but apparently they didn't use a Whitewood for it.

Quoted from Russell:

They just needed a white wood, you know, like they’ve been doing...FOREVER....?!?

Sorry but rumors on Pinside is a pet peeve with me and this is exactly how they begin. All it takes is a casual comment and the next thing you know it's preached as gospel. I'm sometimes amazed at how out of control Pinside can be with misinformation.

Can anyone verify this please. Maybe it's true but it seems absurd to me.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sorry but rumors on Pinside is a pet peeve with me and this is exactly how they begin. All it takes is a casual comment and the next thing you know it's preached as gospel. I'm sometimes amazed at how out of control Pinside can be with misinformation.

I just heard this. Could be wrong. If so, I retract my statement without reservation.

#18 6 years ago

All good my friend. I'm just looking for a little clarity in the Pinside jungle.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Joe Balcer on the SDTM Houdini Review confirmed that there was no whitewood made for Houdini...

#20 6 years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=6332s&v=stb_TTnNRmQ

I believe its stated in SDTM's show (interview with the designer).....that a whitewood was not made for Houdini.

I think American Pinball hit a homerun with Houdini.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Joe Balcer on the SDTM Houdini Review confirmed that there was no whitewood made for Houdini...

Works for me. Thank you for the clarity. I guess I overreacted and I apologize to all.

#22 6 years ago

It's definitely a tough game with tight shots.

Played it a bit last night, still lots for me to learn.

#23 6 years ago

I liked it a bit. My complaint was only one ramp, but I didn't think the shots were that bad. Kinda like X-Files tight.

#24 6 years ago

Very fun game but it can be tough. Might not be for everyone but what game is?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I believe its stated in SDTM's show (interview with the designer).....that a whitewood was not made for Houdini.

that doesn't mean the game hasn't had revisions though. It's not Joe's first rodeo...

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Fine, It’s not TERRIBLE. I mean it’s not Magic Girl or something. It’s beautiful, and even the screen graphics are cool. They just needed a white wood, you know, like they’ve been doing...FOREVER....?!?
I’m moving my deposit over to the next Stern game...Iron Maiden? Ugh, I guess so...

Just messing with you Russel, a lot of games just don't click with some ppl. I have a friend who hates MM and AFM, but loves the TS.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Just remember that you don't have to hit the shot very hard for the ball to go all the way around into the lock.

On the one here you can backhand it pretty easy. I can still hit it easier than the light lock shot though...

Quoted from hank527:

I liked it a bit. My complaint was only one ramp, but I didn't think the shots were that bad. Kinda like X-Files tight.

I don't mind only one ramp, but I was sad to see that there isn't at least a diverter on it to go to the other flipper.

Quoted from flynnibus:

that doesn't mean the game hasn't had revisions though. It's not Joe's first rodeo...

How do you not make a whitewood? Like, did they never attach parts to a playfield before they'd already applied the art? What? Unless they just drew it up in cad and sent it to the assembly line I don't understand how not making a whitewood is even possible.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

...and Joe confirmed this as well on the SDTM interview, multiple revisions that were test played. I played one last summer at SFGE.....

#29 6 years ago

Luck enough to have one in home!
Very tough game .. Lots to do and I have had the catapult miss a couple of times. The game is not for the light hearted, but it is getting positive reviews here. Perhaps a home environment game would change your outlook!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Luck enough to have one in home!

I am lucky enough to play yours. If I was pumping a dollar a play into it I might have a different view. It does have a Bally/Williams feel to it, nothing like a Stern.

#31 6 years ago

I haven't played this game yet, but I'm really looking forward to spending some time on it. It looks beautiful, though after watching a couple of streams it sure looks like a lot of the shots are ridiculously tight.

#32 6 years ago

Practice, Practice, Practice.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

...and Joe confirmed this as well on the SDTM interview, multiple revisions that were test played. I played one last summer at SFGE.....

Yes, it didn't go through a traditional Whitewood process, but that was because they wanted to show want they had very quickly to start soliciting feedback, and they tweaked from there. It probably went through a development cycle very similar to a regular game.

...and a lot of Joe's games have tight shots. It's a choice, and one I usually enjoy. I need more time on Houdini to know about how it plays to me, but I think it looks great!

#34 6 years ago

This is the best non-whitewood game ever.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How do you not make a whitewood? Like, did they never attach parts to a playfield before they'd already applied the art? What? Unless they just drew it up in cad and sent it to the assembly line I don't understand how not making a whitewood is even possible.

Hard to believe, but, there was never a wired whitewood, we did test the catapult on a test board, but given the timeframe to get to TPF last year, we went right to the playfield with art. It was built by hand in a workshop, not on an assembly line -- if that makes you feel better

Quoted from flynnibus:

The original prototypes went to TPF and other shows in the spring and summer. Revisions were made (to art as well as mechanics/placements) and those playfields were in the machines at Expo and in the production machines. So there have only been two versions of the playfield, but there were lots of little changes made to tweak shots, etc. Plenty of other changes made along the way in other aspects of the machine, ramps, wire forms, mechs, etc.

Quoted from Russell:

...I choose to believe the latter.

Not everyone will like the tight shooting and challenging shots of Houdini, but this video shows when you find your groove, it shoots pretty darn good . . .

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

If you play the game a bit more you will see all the pin mfrs get pulled out of that hat! Funny, good natured ribbing aimed at recent releases. Game sound in a loud room needs higher volume, that needs to be addressed. Who set up the game? After we set Houdini up and adjusted the catapult on site, I'll bet it hasn't missed once. Before we adjusted it, yeah it was throwing a little short. It is easy to change the setting, all the coils are individually adjustable.
That right inner orbit shot is probably the toughest one to hit. Just remember that you don't have to hit the shot very hard for the ball to go all the way around into the lock. Also, the Seance stand-up targets are a big part of the game. Wait until you actually want to hit the standups and find yourself missing and locking a ball instead, ha!

Ha BrianBannon glad you commented because I was playing Wednesday as you know and I thought it was damn hard, so glad I’m not alone, I’ll need to practice on it more. Btw is it $1 a game or $2 for 3?

#37 6 years ago

It's a clannging game. When you make a tight shot, it feels good. I wouldn't recommend this title as their solo game, but in a lineup of three or more machines, it stands on its own. I'd love to do a factory tour to get to know the folks there. They're very interactive with us. I wonder what JPOPS Houdini would have looked like.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Russell I heard Zach and Joe talk about a poke at STERN . At some point you can pull a GB puffed marshmallow man out of the hat it is all burned and melted .

Quoted from bbhenry2000:

Maybe it really is just you. Lmao
Just kidding.

I've seen Russell play alot . He can shoot tight shots . He came to my home and with not much experience playing Avengers . Russell in one game on my Avengers LE made it to "Attack the Helicarrier" mini wizard mode . I thought he was going to beat my high score . Point is the man can shoot.

#39 6 years ago

Haven't played it yet but this was always my fear with Balcor.

#40 6 years ago

if-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpgif-it-aint-tight-it-aint-right-85951592 (resized).jpg

Houdini rules - beautiful game and fun (albeit challenging) to play! I hope to own one.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Russell I heard Zach and Joe talk about a poke at STERN . At some point you can pull a GB puffed marshmallow man out of the hat it is all burned and melted .

I've seen Russell play alot . He can shoot tight shots . He came to my home and with not much experience playing Avengers . Russell in one game on my Avengers LE made it to "Attack the Helicarrier" mini wizard mode . I thought he was going to beat my high score . Point is the man can shoot.

Guys, there's plenty of video showing how well it shoots. As
More come out I'm sure more reviews will bear out whether it's a keeper or whatever

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

It's a clannging game. When you make a tight shot, it feels good. I wouldn't recommend this title as their solo game, but in a lineup of three or more machines, it stands on its own. I'd love to do a factory tour to get to know the folks there. They're very interactive with us. I wonder what JPOPS Houdini would have looked like.

Jpop game would still be getting designed with shots to no where. I think there was something at expo with lights one year that was sort of JPOP's vision, then it was trashed and retooled.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Jpop game would still be getting designed with shots to no where. I think there was something at expo with lights one year that was sort of JPOP's vision, then it was trashed and retooled.

There was (there's even video of it), but it is not remotely even the same game. It did not flip, no coils
were working (or even attached?) and there was no way for the ball to get to certain shots. Hey, like Magic Girl! Literally a "box of lights". I quite liked the art style on it, but in retrospect it owes a lot to Circus Voltaire, and based on how AP redesigned the game
From scratch, the new art style
Fits quite a bit better.

Here it is:

#44 6 years ago

Im so 50/50 on if I am getting this game. I want it but need GOTG to go or need to move something else.

I know the code is great and I like the challenging shots. My negative is I just do not tend to like one ramp games. I've owned a bunch and they never stay.

Rob Zombie is the only current exception.

Anyone else feel one ramp games suffer?

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Im so 50/50 on if I am getting this game. I want it but need GOTG to go or need to move something else.
I know the code is great and I like the challenging shots. My negative is I just do not tend to like one ramp games. I've owned a bunch and they never stay.
Rob Zombie is the only current exception.
Anyone else feel one ramp games suffer?

Dude, get rid of Batman! Lol

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Btw is it $1 a game or $2 for 3?

Believe it or not I was so focused on testing pricing options that have bonus that I never noticed I forgot the one dollar for one game option in the service menu. it's the first game we've done and all of those things had to be created from scratch, and it is my first production machine, and no one noticed it missing. The latest version of code now on test has it, so you will see that show up next week, so take your bonus games while you can!

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Unless they just drew it up in cad and sent it to the assembly line I don't understand how not making a whitewood is even possible.

How they did with Alien, never was a whitewood. Some half assed stuff people may have seen rough videos of, but first truly flippable game already had art on a Mirco cut and printed playfield. I don't recommend it personally.

That said, Balcer and the whole team really pulled off one hell of a stunt getting that prototype game finished as fast as they did, I for one was truly impressed. It's not easy. I know rosh has talked about long hours, and I believe it!

#48 6 years ago

I find that I'm making the right inner lock shot all the time until i need lock #3 for trunk multiball. At that point the lane becomes tighter and I'm convinced that there must be coils beneath the playfield moving the stand up targets in and making the lane tighter. I'm going to pop the playfield up and check that out. I'll let you know what i find!

#49 6 years ago

As designers scramble to cram every last possible element they can into a machine, shots have to get tighter. Smaller ramps, smaller orbits, etc. Look at machines from the early 90s; ramp entrances were wide enough for 2 balls at a time. Modern sterns have barely enough clearance for 1.
This doesn't make a machine bad, just makes the player become better.

#50 6 years ago

When you have nine ball paths and only 2 flippers on a standard body it's going to be tighter shots. No game will be for everyone and if you do not like tight shots this one is not for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/either-i-can%E2%80%99t-shoot-or-houdini-is-poorly-designed/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.