Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RetroRyan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200922_151314 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hey all,

I have an eightball deluxe blowing flipper fuses after you hit the left flipper 20 or so times. I have fixed the following:

1. Replaced EOS switches and flipper switch on left side.
    2. Checked all wiring on flipper coils (OK).
    3. Disconnected top flipper coil - still blew fuse
    4. Checked coil resistance - 2.9 and 3.4 at left, 2.9 and 6.8 at right flipper (which doesn't blow fuse)
    5. Checked for pitting and short at cabinet switch (OK)

What am I missing?

Thanks!!

Retro Ryan

#2 3 years ago

Clarification: its blowing fuse F4 on the power supply board

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRyan:

4. Checked coil resistance - 2.9 and 3.4 at left, 2.9 and 6.8 at right flipper (which doesn't blow fuse)

You need to check the flipper coil resistances with the EOS switch open. A closed EOS switch places a short across the hold winding on the coil. Put a piece of paper between the EOS switch when measuring.

Across the set of lugs for the thrust winding you should measure around 3.1 ohms, the other set of lugs for the hold winding should measure around 320 ohms.

How much gap have you set the EOS switch to when the flipper is at full stroke? Note, to check/set the switch gap you should do it by pushing the plunger in the coil, not by rotating the crank. Otherwise the setting doesn't take any mechanical component wear/slack into consideration.

What type of fuse are you using?

Might be an idea to change both diodes on that flipper coil.

If you're still having problems, post some clear pictures.

#4 3 years ago

Quench I believe the EOS is an N/O switch unless so the tests would have been done with it open. And I tested the switch gaps by pushing in the coil, they are new and set correctly.

I will ohm out the coils again but they seem to be correct.

Fuses are 5 amp so blo buss fuses so I don't expect any issue there. Maybe I need to swap the coils from left to right?

Retro Ryan

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRyan:

Quench I believe the EOS is an N/O switch

The EOS switch on these games is Normally Closed. If you have N/O switches you need to flip it round and make it normally closed.
    However, note the secondary switch on that left flippers EOS switch stack is the switch to activate the upper left flipper and that secondary switch is Normally Open..
    So on the main left flipper, the first EOS switch activated by the flipper crank is N/C, the secondary EOS switch on the stack is N/O.

Please post pictures showing the switches.

#6 3 years ago

@quench, tha ks for the response. That seems correct based on what I have seen today. Ill post pics in the morning. Thanks!

Retro Ryan

#7 3 years ago

Thought I should mention something I have ran across before. I put on some new shiny EOS switches, and assumed that when they were closed they registered as such...well sure enough the new switches had some kind of protective coating on them I guess, and after a little sand paper they registered correctly. Might want to take a second and just make sure the new switch is registering.

#8 3 years ago

Properly adjusting the EOS is a touchy operation. There are a few protocols to be followed.
    Test the switch adjustment by pushing in on the plunger and not by turning the flipper.
    The EOS should open at about 75-80% of the stroke.
    Where there is an upper flipper the lower flipper will have a second EOS switch that activates the upper flipper. The second EOS should be adjusted break-make with the primary EOS.

#9 3 years ago

@quench,

So, I tested the coils with switches open and it looks like you are correct. Right side measures 2.9 and 321 ohms and left measures 2.9 and .4 ohms. Looks like 8ts a shorted hold coil. Ordering a new one today!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRyan:

So, I tested the coils with switches open and it looks like you are correct. Right side measures 2.9 and 321 ohms and left measures 2.9 and .4 ohms. Looks like 8ts a shorted hold coil. Ordering a new one today!

I'd suspect a shorted diode on the coil. Cut the diode off that's across the lugs showing the short. If the short disappears and the coil doesn't look cooked, replace the two diodes on the coil if you have spare diodes. Note, diodes are directional and one side has a silver band around it. Replace with diodes oriented the same way.

2 weeks later
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The EOS switch on these games is Normally Closed. If you have N/O switches you need to flip it round and make it normally closed.
    However, note the secondary switch on that left flippers EOS switch stack is the switch to activate the upper left flipper and that secondary switch is Normally Open..
    So on the main left flipper, the first EOS switch activated by the flipper crank is N/C, the secondary EOS switch on the stack is N/O.
    Please post pictures showing the switches.

So looks like both left side flippers had shorted coils. Replaced and issue is resolved. Thanks guys!!!

RR

20200922_151314 (resized).jpg20200922_151314 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eightball-deluxe-blowing-f4?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.