View topic image gallery

IMG_3149 (resized).jpeg
sr17 (resized).jpg
578BDEF8-A0CC-4D37-B11D-A7FD2A4C32FA (resized).jpeg
8014CCAC-DC9A-4C25-89F0-2A67D16BF996 (resized).jpeg
43B42A6B-8683-4E72-9BB3-A44153A3B261 (resized).jpeg
EC6D4218-EC56-40F1-BE67-A226C1B53055 (resized).jpeg
A26FF3F7-1C9F-4EEB-B33A-7DCCF5E93AA4 (resized).jpeg
Eight Ball Plus score cards left Ver 2.pdf (PDF preview)
Eight Ball Plus score cards right Ver 1.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 months ago

Here is a preview of an update I have made to the game. Numerous code improvements have been made plus a hugely upgraded middle mode has been put in to replace the Chase ball mode after getting 3 goals. The new mode is a timed mode and you try to collect as many of the balls as you can. As you play they start shifting forward faster and faster making it hard to get the last ones as they don’t just sit in one place.

Still working out the last details so not released just yet.

#52 10 months ago

At the 7 minute mark, after it counts down your 10 bonus balls, your 5 in the ones digit changes back to zero.

Can you explain this? Does that signify you've completed all of the goals and they are then starting over?

I enjoy this code upgrade, my biggest quirk is not knowing which goals I have completed, therefore not knowing what else to try and complete.

#53 10 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

At the 7 minute mark, after it counts down your 10 bonus balls, your 5 in the ones digit changes back to zero.
Can you explain this? Does that signify you've completed all of the goals and they are then starting over?
I enjoy this code upgrade, my biggest quirk is not knowing which goals I have completed, therefore not knowing what else to try and complete.

Sure, not a problem to explain. 15 ball mode only gives you a maximum of 2 balls in which to stay in that mode. After the second ball has ended in that mode and assuming you have not run out of balls overall, it resets your goals, you go back to Mode 1 (Normal play), you are starting over.

Are you making use of the pre-ball display of goals accomplished? I created score cards on GitHub you can print out and place in the holes in the apron. Despite having programmed the game I refer to it all the time. During game play there really was no way to display to accomplished goals, modern playfield have lamps dedicated to that sort of thing.

In my updates, 15 ball mode ball capture sound effect is now unique, you might be able to hear it in the video. Also, I realized that the ScrambleBall goal (top left target) made no sounds at all other than the 5 dings for 500 pts so now it has a dedicated sound effect. My intent was to make it more obvious to the player that they had accomplished each goal. The game now properly prioritizes certain sounds like goal sound effects to make sure they are played. Normally a sound request in the middle of a sound already playing is tossed away. Now if it is a priority sound effect, it is queued and not lost. You can hear that the spinner mode now makes a more obvious sound.

#54 10 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Are you making use of the pre-ball display of goals accomplished?

I dont know how I have never noticed this before! Makes it so much more fun knowing which of the goals I have completed!

I do have the cards and I just never realized that the 1s and 0s were there between balls and that they correlate to the goals I have completed.

I kind of wish the other displays would continue to show the goals completed after the game ends. But that wouldnt really be possible when multiplayer games are played.

Thanks!

#55 10 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I dont know how I have never noticed this before! Makes it so much more fun knowing which of the goals I have completed!
I do have the cards and I just never realized that the 1s and 0s were there between balls and that they correlate to the goals I have completed.
I kind of wish the other displays would continue to show the goals completed after the game ends. But that wouldnt really be possible when multiplayer games are played.
Thanks!

I make constant use of those goal summaries between balls. The various countdown timers and award values fill everything up, I like to have the other scores show up at least some of the time.

3 weeks later
#56 9 months ago

There is a new version 87 of PinballPoolGame (aka Eight Ball Plus). I have done quite a few code updates, lots of cleaning up, new sounds effects, etc. The 6th goal Scramble Ball now has a sound effect so you can tell you achieved it.

The new code is found here. For the time being the previous version is still available.

https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV87

The news is the middle mode Chase Ball has been replaced with Roaming mode. It is also a timed mode but much more interesting to play. Details are shown here in this preview video I made recently.

If you are new the game entirely, here is the previous video showing the whole game but with the old middle mode.

1 month later
#57 7 months ago

Just got my Sunset Riders retheme back from the restorer and was looking at it the other day and fell into the lightshow. It's just brilliant to see a modern lightshow in an older machine.

That is something that comes with the new code isn't it?

Also, the links to the rules give a 404?

#58 7 months ago

If I have an older version, what do I need to be able to update to newer version?

#59 7 months ago

The most current code is here: https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV87

You can download all the files at once sing the green "<> Code" button. Dump it all in a directory that has the exact same name as the .ino file, in this case "RPU_PinballPoolGameV87". Then you can open the RPU_PinballPoolGameV87.ino file and upload it to your Arduino using the instructions in the "How to prepare your pinball....." instructions.

FLASHBALL what version are you running?

#60 7 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

FLASHBALL what version are you running?

I'm not entirely sure, I bought the kit approximately one year ago and plugged it right in. Haven't touched it since.

#61 7 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I'm not entirely sure, I bought the kit approximately one year ago and plugged it right in. Haven't touched it since.

The top left display shows the version number when it turns on.

#62 7 months ago

You might have missed it above, but is the attract lightshow attached to the new code?

Also is there a link to the rules that works?

#63 7 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

You might have missed it above, but is the attract lightshow attached to the new code?
Also is there a link to the rules that works?

Not clear what you mean about the attract mode? I created 3 distinct attract modes that cycle repeatedly. It does the original attract mode of lighting the main ball lamps one at a time, then the swooping series of lamps, then the movie marquee style mode. It does the original one less frequently.

The link above was where the code is located for V87. The rules document is in there but here is the specific link to it.
https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV87/blob/main/Pinball%20Pool%20Game%20V87%20Rules%20Description.pdf

#64 7 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Not clear what you mean about the attract mode? I created 3 distinct attract modes that cycle repeatedly. It does the original attract mode of lighting the main ball lamps one at a time, then the swooping series of lamps, then the movie marquee style mode. It does the original one less frequently.
The link above was where the code is located for V87. The rules document is in there but here is the specific link to it.
https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV87/blob/main/Pinball%20Pool%20Game%20V87%20Rules%20Description.pdf

Yes that is what i was asking. I fell into the attract mode the other day just watching and it reminded me of modern attract lighting shows, so i thought you may have created new ones. It's been away so long i forgot the original attract.

Thank you for the new link, the ones in previous posts i tried came back with a 404 error.

#65 7 months ago

Yes the original attract was very plain but I kept it and added new ones.

#66 7 months ago

I have one more update to the code to make. I am always making updates and cleaning the code generally. I have added a small mini-game feature that should be fun. This release will probably be the last one as the code is complete and honestly stuffing in new features is getting harder, they all have to play well with each other. I am putting a feature video together to show what it is and I hope to be releasing the new version soon (few weeks).

After that I have 'Beyond Future Spa' almost ready to release. I have poured tons of effort into Future Spa and it has been close to an initial release for quite a while but Eight Ball kept me busy.

#67 7 months ago

Thank you for your efforts mate, i'll get some info from the restorer as to what version i have and what hardware it lives in as well as how to update it.

I do have a couple of simple questions reading the rules though if someone could help?

Because my playfield looks like this, can someone tell me what is the bank shot and what is the eight ball?

I'm thinking Eight Ball is the switch on the right, outside the horseshoe (Bell's Beach on mine) and the bank shot is the switch opposite it (radio button turns the stereo on in my game)?

#68 7 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thank you for your efforts mate, i'll get some info from the restorer as to what version i have and what hardware it lives in as well as how to update it.
I do have a couple of simple questions reading the rules though if someone could help?
Because my playfield looks like this, can someone tell me what is the bank shot and what is the eight ball?
I'm thinking Eight Ball is the switch on the right, outside the horseshoe (Bell's Beach on mine) and the bank shot is the switch opposite it (radio button turns the stereo on in my game)?

Could you post an image of the playfield? Bank shot is the u-turn horseshoe with the roll-over switch. The Eight Ball target is the large rectangular stand up switch within the bank shot. Both are on the right. The round stand up target on the top left near a bumper has no real name I call it the SW_TOP_LEFT_TARGET switch in the code. Getting the bumper goal unlocks that switch for Scramble Ball which rotates your collected balls a random amount.

#69 7 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Could you post an image of the playfield? Bank shot is the u-turn horseshoe with the roll-over switch. The Eight Ball target is the large rectangular stand up switch within the bank shot. Both are on the right. The round stand up target on the top left near a bumper has no real name I call it the SW_TOP_LEFT_TARGET switch in the code. Getting the bumper goal unlocks that switch for Scramble Ball which rotates your collected balls a random amount.

Thanks i understand. The horseshoe has some probs in registering the rollover often as the guide cuts across it. I am sending the playfield back to Scott Seedsman who designed the production game and did the restore so far to have the playfield underside restored and suggested he contact Sonic so Matt can design a magnetic reed switch for it. He may just move the guide.

The left button on mine turns the sound system on to play random surf music.

sr17 (resized).jpgsr17 (resized).jpg

#70 7 months ago

Would be cool to hear some of the vocals from Eight Ball Deluxe added in with a wav trigger board.... "quit talking and start chalking"

#71 7 months ago
Quoted from splattii:

Would be cool to hear some of the vocals from Eight Ball Deluxe added in with a wav trigger board.... "quit talking and start chalking"

To each their own, I prefer to not hear chipmunk Chet. But I wouldn't mind one of the Fonzie's famous "Aaayyyy" lines after completing a goal!

#72 7 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

The top left display shows the version number when it turns on.

I guess I'm running version 80.

#73 7 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks i understand. The horseshoe has some probs in registering the rollover often as the guide cuts across it. I am sending the playfield back to Scott Seedsman who designed the production game and did the restore so far to have the playfield underside restored and suggested he contact Sonic so Matt can design a magnetic reed switch for it. He may just move the guide.
The left button on mine turns the sound system on to play random surf music.
[quoted image]

M&M Matt has the rollover switch magnet switch. I use them mostly on EBD. It’s flawless. You just push rollover down into playfield and magnet switch slides on the tab. Rollover stays in the down position.

IMG_3149 (resized).jpegIMG_3149 (resized).jpeg
#74 7 months ago

Where can I buy the roll over magnet switch? Need one for my Future Spa. Also, excited to get the new Future Spa program!

#75 7 months ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Where can I buy the roll over magnet switch? Need one for my Future Spa. Also, excited to get the new Future Spa program!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog

I think you PM Matt to get them? Not sure, but that's the source catalog AFAIK

#76 7 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I guess I'm running version 80.

V87 has many code improvements and a completely overhauled middle mode called Roaming.

#77 7 months ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Just send me a PM!

Matt

#78 7 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Just send me a PM!
Matt

We talked about it a while ago Matt and i'm half sure i got one off you for it and we either did or didn't use it.

I'll ask my tech what he remembers and i may even have a look and see if one is there. If it IS this machine i'm thinking of, it was not a switch like in that pic.

1 month later
#79 6 months ago

Has anyone ordered an Eight Ball Plus Arduino board from RoyGBev lately? I ordered one on Jan 2nd and haven't gotten any response from the seller.

3 weeks later
#80 5 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Has anyone ordered an Eight Ball Plus Arduino board from RoyGBev lately? I ordered one on Jan 2nd and haven't gotten any response from the seller.

I received my Eight Ball Plus kit today and got it installed and have to say that the new rules are a ton of fun and add extra challenge to the game. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is on the fence. Thanks to everyone that programmed the new rules and to RoyGBev for the plug-in-play board.

#81 5 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I received my Eight Ball Plus kit today and got it installed and have to say that the new rules are a ton of fun and add extra challenge to the game. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is on the fence. Thanks to everyone that programmed the new rules and to RoyGBev for the plug-in-play board.

Glad you are enjoying it. I have a new version coming out really soon, a bunch of fixes and I added a new mini-game.

1 week later
#82 5 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm at two weeks waiting on acknowledgement and tracking.

1 month later
#83 3 months ago

At long last V90 is now released. https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV90
This is probably the last version of the game, it is pretty complete now.
Changes for this version are a lot of code clean up, more distinct sound effects in a number of places, plus a new mini-game called Alley Mode.

Gameplay video.

Rules description

2 weeks later
#84 3 months ago

For anyone who happens to also have a Future Spa I have rewritten a rule set for it as well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beyond-future-spa-new-rules-for-future-spa#post-8114634

1 month later
#86 38 days ago

I ordered the plug-n-play kit from RoyGBev a few days ago. I can’t wait to give this a go!

I’ve been thinking about how Strikes and Spares could benefit from this same service. If you need someone to help play test or help come up with gameplay improvements on that game, let me know.

2 weeks later
#87 19 days ago

I just got this in the mail a few days ago (Thank you, RoyGBev !) and installed it. It’s amazing! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the original.

Would it be possible to just makebeautiful attract modes for all Bally’s? I know each one would have to be programmed differently, but that attract mode alone is stunning and gives the attention these older games need. The rule updates are a plus!

Thank you, BJM-Maxx !!!

#88 18 days ago

I assume you have V90, I spent a while updating the attract mode animations. The original attract was so plain!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 22.50
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.