View topic image gallery

IMG_3149 (resized).jpeg
sr17 (resized).jpg
578BDEF8-A0CC-4D37-B11D-A7FD2A4C32FA (resized).jpeg
8014CCAC-DC9A-4C25-89F0-2A67D16BF996 (resized).jpeg
43B42A6B-8683-4E72-9BB3-A44153A3B261 (resized).jpeg
EC6D4218-EC56-40F1-BE67-A226C1B53055 (resized).jpeg
A26FF3F7-1C9F-4EEB-B33A-7DCCF5E93AA4 (resized).jpeg
Eight Ball Plus score cards left Ver 2.pdf (PDF preview)
Eight Ball Plus score cards right Ver 1.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

As I update the code, the repository link for where to get the code changes. As of 231120, the latest version is V87, the official name became PinballPoolGame (licensing). The latest version is here:

https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV87

-------------------------------------------------

Eight Ball Plus - a rewritten set of rules for the classic Bally Eight Ball based on the Bally/Stern Operating System (BSOS)

Over the past year, I've been creating an updated version of Eight Ball. Eight Ball is one of the first pinball machines I bought. I always loved playing classic Bally solid state machines but always wondered what the game would be like with more advanced rules.

Dick Hammill created the BSOS. A small Arduino board attached to a small adapter card mounts on the Bally MPU J5 connector. It takes over operation of the hardware from the original Motorola 6800 CPU. A small jumper or switch added to the board lets you swap between the original code or the Arduino based code. This modification is completely reversible.

Find out more about BSOS here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino

How to get the Eight Ball Plus software to download (includes the full BSOS, only need to download this package):
Full instructions included even if you are new to Arduino
https://github.com/BallySternOS/Eight-Ball-Plus

Where to get the adapter card to connect the Arduino to your pinball machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball

#2 2 years ago

Is there a way to buy the whole kit plug and play mate?

#3 2 years ago

I sent RoyGBev a PM about how to go about purchasing a ready to go solution. Looking forward to this one. One of my fave soul crushing classics.

#4 2 years ago

Go that online store and let RoyGBev know that the Eight Ball code is now released and he can install it. I will try to let him know about it too.

#5 2 years ago

Now testing a download, will have this item in the store within an hour, thanks!

#6 2 years ago

Item added, thank you.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Item added, thank you.

Does not ship internationally?

Man......

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Does not ship internationally?
Man......

Send a Pinside mail

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Item added, thank you.

Order placed. Thanks to you and the creator.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Send a Pinside mail

Done.

#12 2 years ago

very cool! Looking forward to getting this.

#13 2 years ago

Installed the Eight Ball Plus and it's working nicely. I haven't learned all the rules or anything yet but its so cool to have a different set of rules to play on this game..... Glad I learned quickly how to change the default 1 ball per game to 3!! Now....I need to make the jumper in to a switch mounted behind the coin door so I can switch back and forth between the old rules and new.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Installed the Eight Ball Plus and it's working nicely. I haven't learned all the rules or anything yet but its so cool to have a different set of rules to play on this game..... Glad I learned quickly how to change the default 1 ball per game to 3!! Now....I need to make the jumper in to a switch mounted behind the coin door so I can switch back and forth between the old rules and new.

Can't believe you already got it going. Did you get a plug and play version? I am wondering if you got the instructions with it. If not go here: https://github.com/BallySternOS/Eight-Ball-Plus and down load the Eight Ball Plus Coin Door Settings.pdf and Eight Ball Plus Rules.rtf

The code has no way of assigning a single ball per game. Being a completely new Arduino, the memory locations where the coin door settings are stored could have weird settings in them. I recommend going through every coin door adjustment and setting each one to 99. This will assign the default value to each one. Go through every setting until you are back in attract and then when you do it again you will see the default assigned values. I provided a range of values for each one that allows the game to be made easier or harder without getting too easy or hard. The game only allows 3 or 5 balls.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Can't believe you already got it going. Did you get a plug and play version? I am wondering if you got the instructions with it. If not go here: https://github.com/BallySternOS/Eight-Ball-Plus and down load the Eight Ball Plus Coin Door Settings.pdf and Eight Ball Plus Rules.rtf
The code has no way of assigning a single ball per game. Being a completely new Arduino, the memory locations where the coin door settings are stored could have weird settings in them. I recommend going through every coin door adjustment and setting each one to 99. This will assign the default value to each one. Go through every setting until you are back in attract and then when you do it again you will see the default assigned values. I provided a range of values for each one that allows the game to be made easier or harder without getting too easy or hard. The game only allows 3 or 5 balls.

It was not the plug and play version since it was not yet available. I got the one for another machine and installed Eight ball plus on it. I did not have a chance to go through in detail yet. But I promise I'm not making it up! lol. It was default on 1 ball. I quickly changed to 3. I will go through the settings again soon and report back. Will change all to 99. I only went through and selected the number of balls.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

It was not the plug and play version since it was not yet available. I got the one for another machine and installed Eight ball plus on it. I did not have a chance to go through in detail yet. But I promise I'm not making it up! lol. It was default on 1 ball. I quickly changed to 3. I will go through the settings again soon and report back. Will change all to 99. I only went through and selected the number of balls.

Okay, that makes more sense, the Arduino had been used for something else previously. Do you now what it was that was last installed on it? I could look up the code memory assignments.

My code will correct for items that are too large, but won't fix things that are too small. I will make an update to fix that. I have an idea for another game feature I want to add as well.

#17 2 years ago

It was the one for Sliver ball mania. My son installed the software for Eight ball.

#18 2 years ago

I looked at Silver Ball Mania's code, the memory slot is used for something called EEPROM_SILVERBALL_PROGRESS_BYTE, and its default value is 1. That explains the 1 ball games. You could only inherit that weird value from a previously used Arduino. Once corrected you can only save 3 or 5 ball games going forward. Good to know that can happen though.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I looked at Silver Ball Mania's code, the memory slot is used for something called EEPROM_SILVERBALL_PROGRESS_BYTE, and its default value is 1. That explains the 1 ball games. You could only inherit that weird value from a previously used Arduino. Once corrected you can only save 3 or 5 ball games going forward. Good to know that can happen though.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that.

#20 2 years ago

Even funnier, in my early version of the code my 99 for default was not working correctly. I had a 99 ball game going, got to ball 9 before I realized. The reason I suspected you had reused an Arduino is a truly blank one fills the memory with $FF or 255. A 1 meant something had used that cell before.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Even funnier, in my early version of the code my 99 for default was not working correctly. I had a 99 ball game going, got to ball 9 before I realized. The reason I suspected you had reused an Arduino is a truly blank one fills the memory with $FF or 255. A 1 meant something had used that cell before.

99 ball game sounds like what I need. Maybe then I could get a decent score! haha..

#22 2 years ago

oh man this looks great. Love how you use the ball rack to point arrows!

1 month later
#24 2 years ago

I have updated the code to Eight Ball Plus to V80 (original release was V75). New is extended Bank Shot function, you can with a lot of skill keep shooting the Bank Shot to get eventually to 10x bonus multiplier. The displays now show you a lot more information. There are count down timers for several timed based features now. When you start a new ball, all the displays besides yours will show you which actual goals you have achieved rather than just the total in the singles digit of your score. There were several code clean ups as well. The game is fully functional now and all settings are accessible via the coin door.

New rules description video

I will have to make a game play video soon just to show how real games play.

Find out more about BSOS here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino

How to get the Eight Ball Plus software to download (includes the full BSOS, only need to download this package):
Full instructions included even if you are new to Arduino

Where to get the adapter card to connect the Arduino to your pinball machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball

3 months later
#25 1 year ago

I created some new apron score cards. Although I know the rules, even I got confused remembering which digit represented which goal achieved. Much easier now. These should print the correct size once downloaded.

Eight Ball Plus score cards left Ver 2.pdfEight Ball Plus score cards left Ver 2.pdfEight Ball Plus score cards right Ver 1.pdfEight Ball Plus score cards right Ver 1.pdf
3 weeks later
#26 1 year ago

This is awesome!! I just picked up a beautiful Eight Ball and ordered everything to get this installed on it!

43B42A6B-8683-4E72-9BB3-A44153A3B261 (resized).jpeg43B42A6B-8683-4E72-9BB3-A44153A3B261 (resized).jpeg8014CCAC-DC9A-4C25-89F0-2A67D16BF996 (resized).jpeg8014CCAC-DC9A-4C25-89F0-2A67D16BF996 (resized).jpegA26FF3F7-1C9F-4EEB-B33A-7DCCF5E93AA4 (resized).jpegA26FF3F7-1C9F-4EEB-B33A-7DCCF5E93AA4 (resized).jpegEC6D4218-EC56-40F1-BE67-A226C1B53055 (resized).jpegEC6D4218-EC56-40F1-BE67-A226C1B53055 (resized).jpeg
#27 1 year ago

Looks like i am getting this code in my Sunset Riders when it goes in for resto. Can't wait!

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

This is awesome!! I just picked up a beautiful Eight Ball and ordered everything to get this installed on it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That machine is in nice shape.

Always happy to get feedback from people playing it. First time creating new rules.

#29 1 year ago

Makes me wish I still had my Eight Ball, it was in incredibly nice shape.

#30 1 year ago

New game play video. Had a good game after a bit of a drought, made it to 15 ball mode but then lost promptly.

I should have similar Future Spa video soon, I have been working on that for a while.

#31 1 year ago

I ordered the ready to go kit before you updated it to the latest. What's the easiest way for me to get this updated? I haven't messed with the BSOS on my own yet.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I ordered the ready to go kit before you updated it to the latest. What's the easiest way for me to get this updated? I haven't messed with the BSOS on my own yet.

What version number do you see when it boots? Also what hardware version of the Arduino do you have? The Nano cannot hold the current version. Pretty much all the games are now using the Mega which is way bigger.

I wrote a complete set of programming instructions so people with no familiarity could load a BSOS game onto the Arduino. Just need to make sure you have an Arduino that will fit the program.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What version number do you see when it boots? Also what hardware version of the Arduino do you have? The Nano cannot hold the current version. Pretty much all the games are now using the Mega which is way bigger.

I'll have to look. I bought the kit from Roy G Bev right after you released it.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I'll have to look. I bought the kit from Roy G Bev right after you released it.

Hopefully you have the Mega, one of my previous videos shows the two. It also shows the adapter boards. Post a picture if it is not clear.

The instructions are here: https://github.com/BallySternOS/Eight-Ball-Plus

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Hopefully you have the Mega, one of my previous videos shows the two. It also shows the adapter boards. Post a picture if it is not clear.
The instructions are here: https://github.com/BallySternOS/Eight-Ball-Plus

This is the ad for it on Pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/06642-eight-ball-plus-arduino-complete-and-ready-to-use

Not home to get a pic, right now.

#36 1 year ago

I assume you have the first release V75. It only fits on the Mega, so you should be good.

#37 1 year ago

Ok, so I have a question. This new code will obviously make much higher scores possible, So will the new code allow scores to wrap around, past 999,999? Or like the old code, will it just go to 000,001?

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Ok, so I have a question. This new code will obviously make much higher scores possible, So will the new code allow scores to wrap around, past 999,999? Or like the old code, will it just go to 000,001?

The display automatically scrolls when scores exceed 999,999. No need for 7 digits displays anymore. You can score up to 10 million now. The scores only scroll if 4 seconds has passed since it changed. It will also scroll during attract mode if the current or high score is greater than 1 million.

As to higher scores, I did not want the game to be a runaway huge score issue. In my playing I don't really find much difference. On the normal code my absolute best is 1.3M and it took me a year to roll it. I think my best on the new code is less than that. In 15 ball mode you gain 5000 pts for a ball and lose 10000 points for losing a ball. It was meant to be a real score leveler.

4 months later
#40 1 year ago

quick question running a lisy (pi board ) in my 8 ball, any chance i can run this on that board alone?

#41 1 year ago

Not too familiar with that board but it appears the original version emulates the CPU via PinMame. BSOS takes over the MPU hardware via the diagnostic connector and tells the CPU to halt. Works very differently.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Although I know the rules, even I got confused remembering which digit represented which goal achieved. Much easier now

Can you use lamps on the playfield blinking before ball launch to show the goals completed? I added cues like this for an extended audits mode on night rider a long time ago to give me a visual reminder of what all the added audits were. Too bad there's not an AN display available in the 6 digit format that could display this info, although the new color lcd displays might be used for more info. I've done what you've done as well on Lost Vegas during the debug phase, so I could tell status easily but I took ptouch labels and put them physically on each digit that I was tracking as it's too confusing otherwise.

#43 1 year ago

I could blink lamps easily enough, but knowing what lamp meant what is the hard part. There are very few lamps near features to indicate they are complete.

#44 1 year ago

Here is where I put the game mode switch, if anyone needs ideas.

578BDEF8-A0CC-4D37-B11D-A7FD2A4C32FA (resized).jpeg578BDEF8-A0CC-4D37-B11D-A7FD2A4C32FA (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#45 1 year ago

Since I missed that you now need the mega, for future users you might want to put that in the readme. When I ordered parts I searched your various threads for what had been tested and ended up with the elegoo nano. Gonna order the mega now.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

Since I missed that you now need the mega, for future users you might want to put that in the readme. When I ordered parts I searched your various threads for what had been tested and ended up with the elegoo nano. Gonna order the mega now.

I just checked and in the "Prepare your pinball for use with BSOS" document it says you must use a Mega in bold letters. I knew I had said it somewhere. I will update the ReadMe too.

I have been thinking of changes to make to EBP, I have some ideas kicking around I plan to implement. Have to complete Beyond Future Spa first though.

#47 1 year ago

Thinking about taking my Eight ball plus to Texas Pinball Festival. If anyone is interested in playing one. Havent decided for sure yet.

#48 1 year ago

The github link with the instructions is no longer working.

3 weeks later
#49 1 year ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I just checked and in the "Prepare your pinball for use with BSOS" document it says you must use a Mega in bold letters. I knew I had said it somewhere. I will update the ReadMe too.
I have been thinking of changes to make to EBP, I have some ideas kicking around I plan to implement. Have to complete Beyond Future Spa first though.

I got it going today. Going to need to print out the rules to understand what is going on. This might be one where a wave trigger board could be handy.

2 months later
#50 1 year ago

A few people have been asking about the defunct BSOS links for games with new rules. Good news is Eight Ball Plus is back. It is exciting in that the operating system has been updated to work on Bally/Stern, and now Williams Sys 3-11. So now the operating system is called Retro Pinball Update. There is a new repository.

I have updated my code and renamed that game to "Pinball Pool Game". Boring I know but does not conflict with any registered names. The new repository is here: https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGame

Although it says V82, it is in fact the same V80 code I had previously released. If you have the code already running, there is nothing to do. If you are new to trying out the new rule set, this is the code you want.

I plan to make an updated version of the game but that will take a few months, but I have some minor bugs to fix as well as planning to revamp the mid-game mode after 3 goals to be much more that chasing the 2 balls we have at the moment. All to come.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 10.00
$ 179.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.