Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Eight Ball Hardware (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
E329E8FB-8A75-42E2-9165-2F2BEA0492A0 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3308 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if there’s a quick tip to improve the functionality of the kickback in Eight Ball. On mine, 6 times out of 10, it fires perfect, 3 times out of 10, it doesn’t fire enough to put the ball back in play, 1 time out of 10, it doesn’t fire at all.

Mine is missing the metal rod piece, is that why?

Thanks,

Eric

#2 5 years ago

Bump

#3 5 years ago

Please post a pic - I don't understand what metal rod piece is missing.

#4 5 years ago

Here's a teardown pic of my Eight Ball that may help.

DSCN3308 (resized).JPGDSCN3308 (resized).JPG
#5 5 years ago

I just finished restoring mine. Here’s a better picture of the top side assembly but I also don’t understand what you mean by “metal rod piece”.

The switch can be flakey and a PITA to dial in this would be the cause of it not firing that 1 time out of 10.

As for not being powerful enough to put the ball back into play, I’d recommend disassembling the kick-back, making sure the armature is clean, replace the coil sleeve and re-solder the the wires at the coil. You can also measure the armature and get a new one the correct length. This may help if the tip is mushroomed and not at the designed length any longer.

E329E8FB-8A75-42E2-9165-2F2BEA0492A0 (resized).jpegE329E8FB-8A75-42E2-9165-2F2BEA0492A0 (resized).jpeg

#6 5 years ago

There’s a spot for a post/rod but it’s not there.

Yeah - I’ll grab a new coil sleeve and disassemble if that’s what I’ve gotta do.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

Maybe there was a post there to make sure the ball wouldn't get stuck in that spot...due to the non-working kickback. Once you take it apart and clean/reassemble, hopefully you'll find the problem's fixed.

One thing to note: i have had the plunger on a kickback magnetize--it would work sporadically. Drove me nuts until i found out about the plungers occasionally magnetizing on them for whatever reason. So if everything looks good, you may want to try a new plunger for the kickback.

#8 5 years ago

There seems to be a lot of abnormal wear in that area - apron rub, weird paint wear, and scratches. While you're in that area, make sure the apron is not catching on the plunger, and push those nails back in next to the switch. Also, make sure everything associated with the coil is tight - the plunger guide and the bracket that attaches to the playfield.

1 week later
#9 4 years ago

Here's a drawing showing where the long and short posts go, along with different hardware. Keep in mind I developed this drawing based upon what I found while I took apart my Eight Ball. I had no reason to believe that the machine had been torn down previously. Hopefully, this can help you with your ball getting stuck.

Eight Ball Hardware (resized).pngEight Ball Hardware (resized).png
3 years later
#10 1 year ago

Way late to the party on this one - however, I was experiencing the same issue. I changed the coil sleeve and that made all the difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-kick-back-is-flaky?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.