(Topic ID: 173946)

Eight Ball Deluxe Transformer - Do they exist?

By Skyemont

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am looking to purchase a EBD tomorrow but the guy says the transformer is shot. I have been looking all day and can not find one. Do they exist?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I am looking to purchase a EBD tomorrow but the guy says the transformer is shot. I have been looking all day and can not find one. Do they exist?

New ones? No.

Transformers do pop up on ebay occasionally.

You'll need an E-122-142 transformer.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally

But, you might get lucky if the problem is on the rectifier board, rather than with the actual transformer.

#3 7 years ago

So Speakeasy uses the same transformer?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So Speakeasy uses the same transformer?

A number of titles did, including that one. The part numbers for the games and transformers are listed on pinwiki.

#5 7 years ago

I doubt that the transformer is bad. Very-very seldom is this the issue..
Read the pin-wiki, or find Clay's old guide on -35 pins. More likely a problem with the rectifier board.

#6 7 years ago

In reference to Bally AS-2518-54 Rectifier Board A2 Assembly (EBD board version 2):

I have only seen three? transformers have problems in nearly 30 years.

One was caused by crystallized solder joints, so not directly the transformer after all connections were reflowed.
Another was inside the windings due to an electrical strike through a cabinet MOV, so the transformer was toast.
The third was short circuited by owner hacking connectors, so the transformer was toast.

Common problems:
High Current Fuse Clips
Bridge Rectifiers w/ Wires (200V 35A)
IN4007 diodes
100 Volt MOV

Careful when voltage testing, the current can kill. Keep a family member nearby with a wooden stick
Once you verify the test points, rebuild the board, unless it is a hot mess.
If you are really in pickle, and the transformer truly is bad, remember video arcade games from the 80s used the same transformers in many cases.

#7 7 years ago

Yes, they do exist, I have a few good transformers!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

New ones? No.
Transformers do pop up on ebay occasionally.
You'll need an E-122-142 transformer.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally
But, you might get lucky if the problem is on the rectifier board, rather than with the actual transformer.

Quoted from dasvis:

I doubt that the transformer is bad. Very-very seldom is this the issue..
Read the pin-wiki, or find Clay's old guide on -35 pins. More likely a problem with the rectifier board.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

In reference to Bally AS-2518-54 Rectifier Board A2 Assembly (EBD board version 2):
I have only seen three? transformers have problems in nearly 30 years.
One was caused by crystallized solder joints, so not directly the transformer after all connections were reflowed.
Another was inside the windings due to an electrical strike through a cabinet MOV, so the transformer was toast.
The third was short circuited by owner hacking connectors, so the transformer was toast.
Common problems:
High Current Fuse Clips
Bridge Rectifiers w/ Wires (200V 35A)
IN4007 diodes
100 Volt MOV
Careful when voltage testing, the current can kill. Keep a family member nearby with a wooden stick
Once you verify the test points, rebuild the board, unless it is a hot mess.
If you are really in pickle, and the transformer truly is bad, remember video arcade games from the 80s used the same transformers in many cases.

Quoted from Pbpins:

Yes, they do exist, I have a few good transformers!

Thanks everyone. I am getting it on Tuesday. I may be looking for a transformer if it is the problem. If not, thats good too..

#9 7 years ago

Great pin, my #1 fave.

#10 7 years ago

I have seen a few transformers go bad.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I have seen a few transformers go bad.

Well i am getting the pin saturday. I will look into this and see if it is indeed a transformer. If so, i will pull it out of the speakeasy i am getting. Win win..

#12 7 years ago

They almost always need the rectifier board either repaired or replaced. The new aftermarket boards are nice. Very rarely are the transformers bad.

There are other machines from the era that used the same transformer and rectifier board.

The hardest Bally SS pin to find a transformer though is Kiss. Only two other pins use the same transformer (Future Spa & Space Invaders) and they can be very hard to find and expensive when you do find one.

1 month later
#13 7 years ago

If you still need another:

ebay.com link: BALLY EIGHT BALL DELUXE PINBALL MACHINE CABINET TRANSFORMER ASSY

Looks to be in good condition, rectifier board missing.

3 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

Possibly related question for an Eight Ball Deluxe: I have a hum on my machine. It comes from either the transformer or the rectifier board (my power knowledge is sketchy at best). It varies slightly in loudness during 'attract' mode as the lights are flashing (so maybe on draw from the bulbs). Is there a short somewhere that's causing it? Just age?

If I wanted to get rid of that hum, would that likely be the transformer or the rectifier board? Or, is this a common symptom of some other underlying issue?

Wish I could describe better. Greatly appreciate any sage advice!

Cheers.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from mirthful1:

Possibly related question for an Eight Ball Deluxe: I have a hum on my machine. It comes from either the transformer or the rectifier board (my power knowledge is sketchy at best). It varies slightly in loudness during 'attract' mode as the lights are flashing (so maybe on draw from the bulbs). Is there a short somewhere that's causing it? Just age?
If I wanted to get rid of that hum, would that likely be the transformer or the rectifier board? Or, is this a common symptom of some other underlying issue?
Wish I could describe better. Greatly appreciate any sage advice!
Cheers.

More than likely, hum issues are going to point to problems with the sound board, bad speaker, poor connection, a broke off ground pin on your power cord, or a bad potentiometer in the cabinet. Not always, but those are more likely than a transformer issue.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

More than likely, hum issues are going to point to problems with the sound board, bad speaker, poor connection, a broke off ground pin on your power cord, or a bad potentiometer in the cabinet. Not always, but those are more likely than a transformer issue.

Great point on the power cord -- my ground pin is broken. I'm replacing that ASAP. Also like your other suggestions. thx for the feedback!

#17 7 years ago

K's arcade has refurbished transformer with rectifier board.
Also the same as 6 million dollar man, kiss

#18 7 years ago

If anyone needs an eightball deluxe transformer I have one . Price is 125.00 shipped

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 179.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-transformer-do-they-exist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.