• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EBD playfield wiring diagram.pdf (PDF preview)
EBD solenoid and switch locations.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 1 year ago

Working on a Eight Ball Deluxe and a string of switches (marked I0 in the manual) will not register as being hit or dropped.

Checked the switches physically and they are making contact, wiring is good, checked continuity all the way to the CPU and that is ok.

Checked the diodes and capacitors on each switch and there are no shorts or broken connections.

Re-pinned connectors J2 and J3, no change. Temporarily installed an Alltek CPU and also no change.

Voltage at the switches reads around 2.5v-3v. When switch makes contact, there is barely a difference in voltage.

All the other targets are working perfectly. Is there something I'm missing, something obvious that I'm not checking?

Please help!

Thanks

EBD solenoid and switch locations.pdfEBD solenoid and switch locations.pdf

EBD playfield wiring diagram.pdfEBD playfield wiring diagram.pdf
#2 1 year ago

Did you check the right coin chute switch which is also on the "I0" return line to see if it's stuck closed?

What does switch test report?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did you check the right coin chute switch which is also on the "I0" return line to see if it's stuck closed?
What does switch test report?

No I didn't but the switch test didn't show that switch to be closed. It also doesn't show the other switches closed either. I'll check it anyway when I go back to the customer's house.

Thanks

#4 1 year ago

Doubtful all diodes or caps on that row are bad. As Quench suggested problem could be with a coin switch on the door. Best way to rule that out is to simply unplug J3 from the MPU.
You've done your due diligence and narrowed the problem down to either the MPU, J2 connector, or the wire itself.
My experience is this is most commonly caused by the J2 connector getting loose or dirty. Have you just recently repined? Start there at J2-8. Next inspect the 54 wire which is I0. You'll want to make sure that that wire has not broken loose or snapped along the way.
If everything looks good, try shorting J2-8 and 1 together. That should set off that switch. If it does then you've narrowed the problem to the connector or wire.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-targets-not-registering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.