View topic image gallery

EBD light board (resized).png
Kiss_LDB-b.jpg
Dan's EBD transformer module (resized).jpg
Dan's EBD alltec lamp driver (resized).jpg
dan's EBD ground strap connection (resized).jpg
SEB EDB (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I spent the weekend troubleshooting two EDB's. (although I'm fairly new to pinball, somehow, I've ended up with two of the same machines) I've got one working very well with just a few non-working lamps left that I've traced to bad transistors.
The other is working OK, but is "missing" most of the sounds. Pretty much the only speech phrases it plays are "shoot the 9 ball" and "shoot the 7 ball" regardless of what balls/targets have been hit or need to be hit. It does this with either sound boards I have (both Squak & Talk boards work 4.0 in the good machine, one board has been freshly capped).
I'm running Altek MPU, solenoid driver boards, and lamp boards; again that all work fine in the good machine.
There are also some of the playfield lights that flash opposite the others during the lamp test.
The only symptom that find that may or may not not be related is that I get some weird "clicks" sometimes from the small solenoid expander board under the playfield. I don't know what the SEB does exactly, but there is a lamp next to it with a working light which I think is necessary.
Any idea why the speech wouldn't be working despite known good S&T boards?

#2 4 years ago

Did you rule out switch issues?

#3 4 years ago

I did not. I'm not sure what you're referring to with switches. The DIP switches on the Alltek MPU board?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

I did not. I'm not sure what you're referring to with switches. The DIP switches on the Alltek MPU board?

No he meant switches on the playfield. if you have a manual read the section on self test. Red button inside coin door. For switch test you must remove ball and make sure all drop targets are reset.
Each switch has a number assigned to it. Look for chart in manual or in back box. Coils are also assigned a number. If you have no switch errors you should get a flashing zero in the match/credit display and ab audible sound with the flash. Going by switch chart close each switch one at a time and make sure the number of switch coincides with the chart. If you get a switch number showing in the display with all switches open then you need to investigate said switch. if you more than 1 stuck switch the display will show the highest number first.

#5 4 years ago

I wanted to add that the leaf switches on the horseshoe bank are sometimes bent over due to the close proximity to the edge of the pf and prop rod hitting them. Verify that they all open when reset. Look for any shorts of the diodes and caps there.

#6 4 years ago

Years ago my EBD was missing some sounds, and recaping the sound board fixed it. Since you’ve tried other stuff and already have an altek MPU, that seems like the next thing to try.

#7 4 years ago

Lovef2k- OK that sounds pretty complicated but I do have a manual and will dig in to the switch settings when I get some time. I am familiar with the red self test button, and have used it lots on troubleshooting lights (and solenoids). Thanks!

PNBLWZD- already have a freshly capped sound board working 4.0 in my other EBD. When I swap it to the machine in questions- it only gives me the two sounds described above. That seemed to me to be the likely culprit as well, but I can easily rule it out with the other machine.

#8 4 years ago

Sorry, I missed the part about already recapped it. Reseat the ribbon cables then!

Oh wait, can’t use that one here lol. Sorry, I’m out...

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

Squak & Talk boards work 4.0 in the good machine

Quoted from aaronc70:

sound board working 4.0 in my other EBD.

What do you mean by "4.0" when you say the sound board is working?

Are all solenoids working in solenoid test mode?

Please give some examples of exact switches that cause the "shoot the 9 ball" and switches that cause the "shoot the 7 ball" speech.

When you press the sound test button on the Squawk & Talk board in this machine, does it playback all the speech phrases?

#10 4 years ago

Back to that opposite flashing of lamps during lamp test check the connections at the solenoid expander board and make sure there’s a working lamp in the socket adjacent to it. If the relay on that board is chattering during lamp test repin the connector. Try wiggling during test to confirm first.

#11 4 years ago

"What do you mean by "4.0" when you say the sound board is working?" (-Sorry military terminology)- "4.0" means "it checks out 100%" In my good EBD, either sounds board makes all of the sounds it should, coinciding with the appropriate switch activation

"Are all solenoids working in solenoid test mode?" Yes

Please give some examples of exact switches that cause the "shoot the 9 ball" and switches that cause the "shoot the 7 ball" speech. " Actually I should have described it as the machine says "7 ball" whenever any ball target is hit/dropped/switch activated and "shoot the 9 ball" whenever all the pool-ball 1-7 or 10-15 drop targets have been hit/dropped and it's time to shoot for the eight ball in the right lane.

"When you press the sound test button on the Squawk & Talk board in this machine, does it playback all the speech phrases?" I have not tried that but will , thanks! UPDATE: I just tried this on both of my machines (one good, one with sound problem that only calls out "7 ball" and "shoot the 9-ball") both do the same thing when pushing the S&T test button- they call out some, about 8 or so, of the phrases (but not all). they both call out the same select phrases

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballylover:

Back to that opposite flashing of lamps during lamp test check the connections at the solenoid expander board and make sure there’s a working lamp in the socket adjacent to it. If the relay on that board is chattering during lamp test repin the connector. Try wiggling during test to confirm first.

I just swapped the solenoid expander boards between machines. Both machines act the same with either SEB installed- the good one flashes and plays correctly, the bad one still flashes some of the lamps opposite during the lamp test and I still hear a relay clicking louder than the good machine. Both SEB bulbs are installed and working. I don't feel any loose pins or see any bad connections. Here's a picture of the connector on the bad machine for what it's worth

SEB EDB (resized).jpgSEB EDB (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

I just swapped the solenoid expander boards between machines. Both machines act the same with either SEB installed- the good one flashes and plays correctly, the bad one still flashes some of the lamps opposite during the lamp test and I still hear a relay clicking louder than the good machine. Both SEB bulbs are installed and working. I don't feel any loose pins or see any bad connections. Here's a picture of the connector on the bad machine for what it's worth[quoted image]

I just reread your original post. So both S&T boards work in one machine. So the problem is in the game somewhere. There's a setting for sounds on page 7 of the manual. If you changed the MPU, the setting will default to 0. on coin door settings #18 you want option 3 for all electronic sounds and speech. First thing to do is clear the MPU if it's a Alltek and was used in another machine prior. Second, verify the dip switch settings are for EBD. The game speech should call out "eight ball deluxe 3 ball" if game is set for 3 balls or "eight ball deluxe 5 ball" if set for 5 after boot up.
Next do the self test for switches. Remove ball from trough, reset all drop target banks. With game in attract mode. Press the red self test button 5 times slowly to enter the switch test. If a 0 appears in the match/ball display window, you are off to a good start. Page 17 of the manual has a chart with the switch number assignment. Starting at #1 and close the corresponding switch and observe the display. Use the ball to activate the roll over switches and pop bumpers and slings. The rest can be done by hand but you will need to reset each individual drop target before going to the next The number of that switch should appear in the display. Don't forget about the tilt and slam switches. Take note of any switches that don't register.

Please report your results here. I still suspect and problem on the 7 bank DT area.

#14 4 years ago

Looks ok, do all the solenoids work properly in self test? that expander board has given me fits in the past and caused all kinds of wacky problems. Sound is an issue I’m having as well. Does anyone know which device creates the -5vdc for the sound on the squawk and talk. Have you checked test point 4 for -5vdc we may have the same problem.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballylover:

Does anyone know which device creates the -5vdc for the sound on the squawk and talk.

The -5VDC supply is created from the G.I AC wire that goes to the S&T board (on pin 7) that has a voltage doubler circuit (CR7, CR8, C37 and C38) which produces -9VDC (from memory). This -9V goes into the 7905 regulator at VR2 (which is a -5VDC regulator) and outputs -5VDC accordingly.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

they both call out the same select phrases

When you go to sound test mode on both machines, do they playback the same sound effect?

After powering on the game, what does it announce when entering attract mode?

Quoted from aaronc70:

There are also some of the playfield lights that flash opposite the others during the lamp test.

Can you list all the lamps that are flashing opposite?
Are they opposite in full brightness or half brightness?
Are you running LEDs or incandescent lamps?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

When you go to sound test mode on both machines, do they playback the same sound effect?

yes, both machines play just a partial sampling of the total phrases the machines say during game play. Both machines play the same phrases in the sound test.

After powering on the game, what does it announce when entering attract mode? The good machine says "Eight Ball Deluxe! 3 ball." The machine in question says "You've got the solids"

Can you list all the lamps that are flashing opposite?

OK, I didn't catch this at first but "it varies":
1,2,3,4 balls on the drop targets flash opposite in full off/bright
in the rack, balls 1-12 flash opposite at half brightness
A,B,C &D lane lights flash opposite at half brightness

Are they opposite in full brightness or half brightness? They are flashing half brightness, except the 1,2,3,4 which flash opposite at full brightness

Are you running LEDs or incandescent lamps?I'm running all incandescents in both machines.

going to work on LOVE2K's suggestions next. Thanks all!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

yes, both machines play just a partial sampling of the total phrases the machines say during game play. Both machines play the same phrases in the sound test.

Sorry let me be more clear. Question was about the machines sound test mode, i.e. when you press the red self test coin door button 4 times. This helps tell us if the MPU board is correctly communicating with the sound board.
There are 4 signals between the MPU board and sound board that are used to select which sound/speech should be played. The protocol is that two commands are sent in quick succession to specify which sound/speech.
The first and second sound commands for "7 ball" are the same and ditto for "shoot the 9 ball" and also "You've got Solids". So from that it seems the S&T board isn't receiving/recognising *different* quick succession sound commands for other selected sounds/speech.
The result of the machines sound test mode might give another clue.

#19 4 years ago

OK, well in the process of confirming the Altek MPU DIP switch positions and performing the memory clear function, I discovered the "CLK SPEED" jumpers were incorrectly installed (the previous owner must have done this, as this machine came with the Altek board and I just didn't catch it). They were in the "left" or "Stern" position, and I moved them to the correct "right/Bally position". Although I can't test out all the sounds (kids are in bed) from a quick game it sounds like I'm back in business with all the normal sounds!

However- I've still got the funky lights problem described above, mostly noticeable on the lamp test (but also the many of the lamps aren't correct during game play) . When going through the red test button on the coin door, the 2nd test that causes the scoring digital displays to cycle 0-9, the scoring displays are OK (well sort of, they are old, but I can tell they are counting/cycling correctly), but I notice that some of the play field lights are on and others go on/off randomly and that there is a lot of "clicking" coming from the SEB area.

I still didn't get to the switch test, it's late and can't wake the wife/kids, but I'll get to it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

OK, well in the process of confirming the Altek MPU DIP switch positions and performing the memory clear function, I discovered the "CLK SPEED" jumpers were incorrectly installed (the previous owner must have done this, as this machine came with the Altek board and I just didn't catch it). They were in the "left" or "Stern" position, and I moved them to the correct "right/Bally position". Although I can't test out all the sounds (kids are in bed) from a quick game it sounds like I'm back in business with all the normal sounds!
However- I've still got the funky lights problem described above, mostly noticeable on the lamp test (but also the many of the lamps aren't correct during game play) . When going through the red test button on the coin door, the 2nd test that causes the scoring digital displays to cycle 0-9, the scoring displays are OK (well sort of, they are old, but I can tell they are counting/cycling correctly), but I notice that some of the play field lights are on and others go on/off randomly and that there is a lot of "clicking" coming from the SEB area.
I still didn't get to the switch test, it's late and can't wake the wife/kids, but I'll get to it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far!

I'm glad you are getting closer to getting her 100%. You're a considerate father, I would have turned the volume down and kept going as this would be bugging me until I figured it out.

So back to the lamps. It seems that you may have a few that are locked on? Meaning they stay lit the entire time the game is on after boot up. This is an indication that the driver (SCR) for those lamps are shorted, or stuck. This is common in these old games but it's an easy fix if you can solder. You can ID the faulty SCR from the manual schematics. Since there are so many feature(switched) lamps on EBD, they added an auxiliary lamp driver behind the lamp insert panel of the back box, see page 10 of the manual, main lamp driver = A5 and aux = A9. Page 23 shows the parts list for A5 driver board. SCR's are "Q' for transistor. The A5 driver uses 2 different types of transistors so you will need to reference page 23 to see what one/s you need to replace.

The A9 board is on page 31. It has 28 SCR's but only uses one type. Wright down which lamps are stuck on and also any not lighting after you verified that the bulb and socket are good. If you have a VOM with an audible continuity feature, buz out any the lamps that are not lighting from the colored wire from the socket all the way to the corresponding connector at the driver board. Doing this will ensure that the SCR is actually bad and you're not replacing good parts. The schematics will help you with that. Once you ID the bad lamps, refer to the A5 lamp driver schematic page, W-1182-32c on the lower right corner of the page. On the right you will see the list of lamps. For example, J1 pin 18 is 1 Rack, follow trace to Q14. And so on.

If you didn't see the lamp you were looking for on A5, then it should be on A9. The A9 schematic is page W-1207-6c. Do the same here to ID the SCR in question.

Oh I forgot to mention, if ant lamps are not lighting, press on all of the connectors on both board while in attract mode to see if they light. This would indicate that the header pins need reflowing or the connector pin is bad.

Another reason for locked on lamps, but this is more rare, is something shorted to the switch matrix. Go over the playfield underside. Look for anything touching bare wires. Example, bent over lamp socket tab touching wires or metal. Disconnect the coin door plug after you start the game and look for any changes. Again, take a good look at the row of switches on the 7 DT bank.

#21 4 years ago

Also the SEB will click in unison with the lamps in self test mode, first press of red button. If it chatters or clicks inconsistently, you may have a voltage problem or bad relay.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

I discovered the "CLK SPEED" jumpers were incorrectly installed
...I moved them to the correct "right/Bally position".
...from a quick game it sounds like I'm back in business with all the normal sounds!

Ok, I guess that makes sense. Running the MPU board at double speed broke the sound command protocol. The second part of the sound select command being sent too soon to the S&T board caused it to drop the first part of the sent command resulting in the wrong sound being selected.

Quoted from aaronc70:

1,2,3,4 balls on the drop targets flash opposite in full off/bright
in the rack, balls 1-12 flash opposite at half brightness
A,B,C &D lane lights flash opposite at half brightness

So there are 20 lamps in total that are flashing opposite in lamp test mode? If you can post a video showing attract mode and lamp test mode it would be very helpful.

Those 20 lamps are controlled by the main lamp driver board. Might be an idea to take that main lamp driver board from that suspect machine and put it into your good machine and see if the problem follows the board.

#23 4 years ago

Gents,
Ok, quickly read through your posts. I am hoping the problem is rooted in the A9/AUX lamp board. I'm running a brand new Altek main lamp driver board/A5 in this machine, so I don't think that is the problem. In my "good" EBD I do have a bout 5 lamps that are not working and have traced down what I believe are the bad transistors and have plans to replace them . I just got a Big-Daddy kit in the mail (yesterday) and that is on my weekend to-do list. Not sure if I'll get it tonight, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for all these tips, yes, sounds like I'm getting close!

Regarding a possible bad relay, I did swap the SEB boards in both machines and there was no change in behavior in either my "good" or "bad" EBD. Also, both SEB lamps worked, if that is important (I read somewhere that it is.)

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

I am hoping the problem is rooted in the A9/AUX lamp board.

The lamps you listed as problematic are connected off the A5 main lamp driver board. I'd find it very unusual that you'd have 20 faulty SCRs on that Alltek A5 lamp driver board - hence you should first temporarily swap that board into your good game.

Quoted from aaronc70:

Regarding a possible bad relay, I did swap the SEB boards in both machines and there was no change in behavior in either my "good" or "bad" EBD. Also, both SEB lamps worked, if that is important (I read somewhere that it is.)

The Solenoid Expander Board (SEB) is for switching banks of solenoids. You mentioned that all solenoids are working. This SEB relay is actually controlled by the lamp driver board. The clicking of the relay during display test mode is an issue upstream from the SEB with the lamp driver board activating the relay. This is not a fault with the SEB/relay.

#25 4 years ago

No that I know you have an Alltek lamp driver here are some easy things to check.
1 is the board grounded to the back back via screws to the mounting brackets?
2 is the grounding strap from the base cabinet attached to the grounding post in the bottom of the back box?
3 are you using LEDs in this game? If so, is the jumper from the lamp driver board connected and what is it connected to?
Add pic of connection if possible. If it was tied into the GI circuit that may cause big problems.
4 verify the connectors on the lamp driver are not off by a pin. I know they are keyed but you never know if a key fell out or someone had changed a connector in the past.
Run switch test when you get a chance. It won't take but maybe 10 to 15 minutes.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

No that I know you have an Alltek lamp driver here are some easy things to check.
1 is the board grounded to the back back via screws to the mounting brackets?

Yes, although the bottom-left screw board mount screw is stripped out, both screws appear to be getting good connection. pic attached

Quoted from Lovef2k:

2 is the grounding strap from the base cabinet attached to the grounding post in the bottom of the back box?

Yes, although the grounding straps are just hand-wound together, they all do connect in the backbox and appear to be getting good connection. pic attached

Quoted from Lovef2k:

3 are you using LEDs in this game? If so, is the jumper from the lamp driver board connected and what is it connected to?
Add pic of connection if possible. If it was tied into the GI circuit that may cause big problems.

No LED's being used, no jumper strap, reference lamp bord pic again.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

4 verify the connectors on the lamp driver are not off by a pin. I know they are keyed but you never know if a key fell out or someone had changed a connector in the past.

I verified this again, all connectors are attached correctly, referencing keys in each. Although none of the original IDC connectors are broken or appear to be burned out, I do have a "Big Daddy" molex connector repiar kit I could install but have not.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Run switch test when you get a chance. It won't take but maybe 10 to 15 minutes.

I finally ran the switch test. all switches are working, 36 (right slingshot) and 37 (left slingshot) have to firmly be held in to register their corresponding numbers, but do open and close OK with a little force.

Other updates:

A. on my "Good" EBD, I did correct about 6 SCR transistors on the OEM lamp driver board, so now I am confident in my ability to check transistors for correct/incorrect operation, read schematics to identify the corresponding playfield light, and replace the transistors.

B. After a couple good loud games when the kids weren't sleeping- I determined that the Squak & Talk board is playing the correct sounds, BUT- the Speach sounds are normal volume and the "Game play" sounds are very muted. I swapped it out with my recently re-capped S&T board from the "good" machine and verified that problem. I have another cap kit from Big Daddy enroute and will do that when it arrives.

C. I looked the playfield over closely and although there are a few not-so-great looking repairs from the past, I can't positively identify any place that is shorted. But as a relative "beginner" I probably don't have the best eye for that. One of the previous owner's repairs was a rectifier replacement to the transformer board. I measured the Test Points (TP) and the only one out of range by a significant amount was TP3, which should be 11.9 +/- 1.4 and measured out at 15.45 VDC. pic of repair attached. Could this be an issue?

again, I'm a relative beginner at electronics repair, but I've always heard difficult to identify problems are sometimes determined to be a "bad ground" or hard-to-find short circuit, so that biases me toward that situation here.

Thanks for all the help to date- I'm learning a lot here!

Dan's EBD alltec lamp driver (resized).jpgDan's EBD alltec lamp driver (resized).jpgdan's EBD ground strap connection (resized).jpgdan's EBD ground strap connection (resized).jpgDan's EBD transformer module (resized).jpgDan's EBD transformer module (resized).jpg
#27 3 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

TP3, which should be 11.9 +/- 1.4 and measured out at 15.45 VDC. pic of repair attached. Could this be an issue?

This is perfectly normal.
If you disconnect the J3 connector off the rectifier board, then TP3 will measure around 11.9 volts as listed on the rectifier board schematic. The J3 connector carries that 11.9 volt power to the solenoid driver board in the backbox which puts a large capacitor on that supply rail that stores energy and raises the voltage (generally between 14.5 volts and 17 volts).

Quoted from aaronc70:

SCR transistors

Note, SCRs and transistors are two different beasts. A SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) is basically a DC switch, a transistor is a current amplifier.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

This is perfectly normal.
If you disconnect the J3 connector off the rectifier board, then TP3 will measure around 11.9 volts as listed on the rectifier board schematic. The J3 connector carries that 11.9 volt power to the solenoid driver board in the backbox which puts a large capacitor on that supply rail that stores energy and raises the voltage (generally between 14.5 volts and 17 volts).

Note, SCRs and transistors are two different beasts. A SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) is basically a DC switch, a transistor is a current amplifier.

-OK, thanks for the details on the rectiifer TP3 & it's function. that helps.
-Copy on the SCR vs transistors as well. I watched a video on testing transistors and the procedure worked on the light board SCR's, but yes, it looks like I actually changed SCR's and not transistors!

#29 3 years ago

I swapped out light boards between machines again and the problem still remains with the "bad" pin regardless of which light board is in which machine. I also swapped SEB's again with the same result.
When doing the "Display Test" (3rd push of the coin-door self test button), the SEB clicks very strangely, like it's not sure which position it's supposed to be in. I know the SEB is good (it worked fine in the other machine), but is there something beside the light board that controls that relay inside the SEB?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

I swapped out light boards between machines again and the problem still remains with the "bad" pin regardless of which light board is in which machine. I also swapped SEB's again with the same result.
When doing the "Display Test" (3rd push of the coin-door self test button), the SEB clicks very strangely, like it's not sure which position it's supposed to be in. I know the SEB is good (it worked fine in the other machine), but is there something beside the light board that controls that relay inside the SEB?

This just keeps getting weirder. So yes, the SEB gets it's signal from the main lamp driver, J311 from lamp driver to SEB under pf lamp and then to J1 pin1 of the SEB. It should not be clicking while in display test mode. Perhaps disconnecting each display one at a time and see if the SEB stops clicking and/or the lamps start working correctly. You probably want to power down the game between disconnecting the displays due to the high voltage on these.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

but is there something beside the light board that controls that relay inside the SEB?

No.
It sounds to me with your lamp and SEB issues you've got a communication issue between the MPU board and the lamp driver board. Without seeing a video it's difficult to pinpoint..

Have you got an original Bally main lamp driver board? It'll make it easier to diagnose.
And have you got a logic probe?

Quoted from Lovef2k:

You probably want to power down the game between disconnecting the displays due to the high voltage on these.

Never disconnect/connect displays when the machine is on. Always power off first.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

No.
It sounds to me with your lamp and SEB issues you've got a communication issue between the MPU board and the lamp driver board. Without seeing a video it's difficult to pinpoint..
Have you got an original Bally main lamp driver board? It'll make it easier to diagnose.
And have you got a logic probe?

Never disconnect/connect displays when the machine is on. Always power off first.

OK, I did the lamp test and display test, sequentially disconnecting each of the displays and even with the Aux Lamp board, and my lamp problem continued and I still got the "over-clicking" in the SEB relay.

In this machine I have an Alltek lamp board, I do have a fully functioning Bally Lamp board in my other EBD- I swapped it in last night and got the same result during the lamp and display tests.

I've just uploaded a video of the machine, attempting to show exactly what my problem is (my first ever online video, haha):

#33 3 years ago

Yes, it looks like you've got a comms issue between the MPU board and main lamp driver board.

Can you please put the factory Bally main lamp driver board in this game so we can start diagnosing.

Do you have a logic probe?

BTW, please ignore the unusual things going on with the SEB, it's just a symptom created by the lamp driver board issue.

#34 3 years ago

I do not have a logic board, not sure what that is. On the go right now but I'll Google it later.
I do have an altek solenoid test card, if that helps.
I'll put the Bally light board back in it later tonight and send another video if you like. But it does the exact same thing. Thanks Again!

#35 3 years ago

The Bally lamp board is simply easier to put measurement tools on plus schematics/diagrams are widely available. Trust me it will make life easier right now.

Looking at your video tells me you likely have an open circuit on the "Lamp Strobe #1" signal (orange-white wire) between the MPU board connector J1 pin 11 and the main lamp driver board connector J4 pin 13.

Since you don't have a logic probe, grab your multi-meter instead.
Set the multi-meter to read DC voltage - we will be working with voltages between 0 and 5 volts.
Connect the black meter lead to test point TP2 (GND) on the lamp driver board and hold it there.
Connect the red meter lead on pin 1 of the U1 chip during attract mode. What voltage do you measure?
While we're there, also measure the voltages at pins:
U1 pin 2
U1 pin 3
U1 pin 21
U1 pin 22

U1 pin 23
U2 pin 23
U3 pin 23
U4 pin 23

Pin 1 on the chips is the bottom left pin counting anti-clockwise to pin 24 which is top left.

Please report back the voltages. From memory you should be getting less than 2 volts on all these pins. Any that are on 5 volts indicates a bad connection between the MPU board and the lamp driver board.

Kiss_LDB-b.jpgKiss_LDB-b.jpg

#36 3 years ago

OK, swapped the old light board in and hti sis what I came up with:
(Note- my OEM light board doesn't look exactly like the picture, but is close. See attached pic. I have the original light board from this machine that looks exactly like your picture, but it developed issues and would not raise the drop target bank- hence the original reason for buying an altek lamp board.)

U1 pin 1 : 3.38
U1 pin 2 : 1.64
U1 pin 3 : 1.48
U1 pin 21 : 1.28
U1 pin 22 : 1.39

U1 pin 23 : 1.3
U2 pin 23 : 1.0
U3 pin 23 : 1.0
U4 pin 23 : 1.1

All these are in Volts DC, they all fluctuated a good bit while reading, so I attempted to note a "median" voltage within the range they seemed to be fluctuating.

EBD light board (resized).pngEBD light board (resized).png
#37 3 years ago

I had all kind of weird lamp issues on my EBD. Mostly lamps not lighting but also lamps lighting when they shouldn't. I was dreading it, but went ahead and replaced ALL the pf crappy lamp sockets with new ones. Once I did this the issues went away. Not saying this will fix everything but it will eliminate a failure point that may be adding confusion to your troubleshooting.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

U1 pin 1 : 3.38

This voltage ^^^ is too high and is signifying that the flood gates to the lamp board are open with it activating lamps when it shouldn't. The MPU board is responsible for closing the gate via that orange-white wire I mentioned previously.

With the machine OFF, set your multi-meter to resistance mode.
Put one of the meter leads on pin 19 of the 40 pin chip at U8 on the MPU board. Pin 19 is the second bottom left pin.
Put the other meter lead on pin 1 of U1 chip on the lamp driver board.
Please report the resistance reading, it should be in the vicinity of 21k ohms.

With the machine ON in attract mode, measure the voltage on that pin 19 of the U8 chip on the MPU board.

Quoted from aaronc70:

I have the original light board from this machine that looks exactly like your picture, but it developed issues and would not raise the drop target bank- hence the original reason for buying an altek lamp board.)

The drop bank target requires a working Solenoid Expander Board which is activated by the lamp driver board. SCR Q54 on the lamp board is responsible for activating the SEB, so that SCR might be suspect.

Quoted from aaronc70:

Note- my OEM light board doesn't look exactly like the picture

That OEM lamp driver board is not original for EBD, it's from an older late 70's Bally with real chimes. It is plugin compatible though.

#39 3 years ago

OK, just got a few minutes to try out Quench's test: The readings fluctuated wildly, from OL (Open Lead) to 14.5 kOhm (but mostly fluctuating from 3-8 kOhm). The strange thing is- when holding the leads on those chip pins- the lights actually worked as they should, flashing completely on and off in the correct sequence. This is the first time I've ever seen this on this machine!

and thanks for the SCR tip on my non-functioning light board. I"ll try and repair that tonight!

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

The strange thing is- when holding the leads on those chip pins- the lights actually worked as they should, flashing completely on and off in the correct sequence.

This meter test was supposed to be done with the machine off But since you did it with the machine on and the lights worked properly, it confirmed an open circuit on that orange-white wire (Lamp Strobe #1 signal) between the MPU board and the lamp driver board.

You need to investigate where the bad connection is. At the MPU board it's connector J1 pin 11. At the lamp driver board it's J4 pin 13.

Your J4 connector at the lamp driver board has the black cover missing (the only connector at the lamp driver board with the black cover is the one at J2). It means you have access to the connector terminals in that J4 connector.

If the black cover on the J1 connector at the MPU board is in place, slide the black cover up or down to remove it.

Lift both of those connectors off the boards only enough (say 2mm) so you have access to the board pins. Carefully jumper a wire from the respective pin to the exposed connector terminal where the orange-white wire is to find the open circuit. You'll need to do it at both connectors.

Good luck!

#41 3 years ago

OK, just caught this but I'll give it a try, yes, keeping the jumper wire still will be an issue.
I did locate the orange-white wire at the Lampboard, but the wire at the <PU Board J1 pin 11 is orange with a red stripe. There is no continuity between these two ends.

On another note, I corrected my other Squak & talk boards with a new cap kit and also fixed the OEM lamp board by replacing the SCR at Q54. Lots of progress!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from aaronc70:

I did locate the orange-white wire at the Lampboard, but the wire at the

Can you post a picture of the J1 MPU board connector clearly showing the color wires?

NOTE, the MPU board connector pins start with pin 1 at the top and count downwards.
For some odd reason the lamp driver board connectors are opposite with pin 1 at the bottom of the connectors and count upwards.
The 11th pin from the bottom of the MPU J1 connector is orange-red, that's actually pin 18 so you're counting from the wrong end

#43 3 years ago

Well, I was counting from bottom up on the MPU connector and came across the incorrect orange/red wire. Counting from top down, #11 was indeed and orange/white wire, and luckily there was continuity. Turns out it was just an unseated connection in the IDC connector at the Lamp board connection. Re-seated the orange/white wire and the problem is now solved!! Thanks so much for sticking with me on this. Tomorrow I'm going to spend a little time dissecting how you led me to the fix so I can duplicate it on my next project.

Quench & others, I can't say thanks enough!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-sound-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.