CB313950-FC92-4066-8035-45CACB4B006F (resized).jpeg
F6603131-70EF-4173-99F0-077350DAFDA7 (resized).jpeg
E998B995-FEB8-4813-84A3-41261560500D (resized).jpeg
EBD_7DropTarget_IsolationDiode_path.jpg
Screenshot_20200819-140421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20200819-140245 (resized).png
EBD_7DropTarget_IsolationDiode.jpg
20200818_182709 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

Check the isolation diode on both the 7 bank drop target coil and the 1,9 drop target coil. One of those diodes is missing/shorted/wired wrong and allowing power to the 2,10 drop target coil. First suspect on the 7 bank drop target coil.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from In99flames:

Thinking it was a 3 lug coil to a 2 lug coil with one diode across...

That will definitely be the problem. If it's a 2 lug coil you'll have to add the isolation diode to it on the Grey-Red wire.

EBD_7DropTarget_IsolationDiode.jpgEBD_7DropTarget_IsolationDiode.jpg

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from In99flames:

One diode across the 2 lugs with cathode towards black white. Other coil has(coil facing upwards) same arrangement of wires and 1 diode across the 2 lugs with cathode facing red gray. Yep....there is my problem....damn. I was so focused on the orange brown that i didnt think to look at the other side as I was assuming the previous repair was done correctly. Well.....nope. I should know better!

Oh dear, that coil connected backwards should have caused the playfield fuse to blow and potentially the Q8 driver transistor on the solenoid driver board when activating the 7 Drop Target Bank Reset coil. It was essentially acting as short circuit across the coil. The Black-White wires must connect to the non-banded (anode) side of the diode across the two coil lugs. You need to then somehow install the isolation diode between the Grey-Red wire and the coil lug with the banded (cathode) side of the diode. This diode prevents voltage going back through the windings and powering other coils in the circuit.

See the diagram below:
The missing diode(s) on the 7 Drop Target Bank Reset coils (shown in the pink box) is allowing voltage back onto the Grey-Red wire causing the 2,10 Drop Target coil to activate when the 4 Drop Target Bank reset coil activates. That missing diode is required to isolate power from coils not being selected by the solenoid expander.

EBD_7DropTarget_IsolationDiode_path.jpgEBD_7DropTarget_IsolationDiode_path.jpg

10 months later
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

Any idea why it would do this?

Knock down the 1 to 8 drop targets so D-E-L-U-X-E is lit.
I presume you're saying at this point if you hit the first E target, all the playfield D-E-L-U-X-E gets spotted?
Anyway if yes, then get the D-E-L-U-X-E targets lit and manually raise *every* drop target in the game including the inlines.
Navigate a screw driver behind the drop targets to activate the E target. Does all of D-E-L-U-X-E get spotted? If no, then start dropping individual drop targets until you determine which ones cause the problem to occur.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

You explained it exactly right. It will select all of D-E-L-U-X-E only by pressing the first E with drop target 2-7 every time. You can also see the same results without target 3 or 4 intermittently. Sometimes it will do it 23567 or 24567. Another words, one or the other.

Hmm, the only logical thing I can come up with is if the diode on the #2 drop target is shorted either from being faulty, bent or its switch is incorrectly stacked. Test the diode with a multi-meter first and compare the readings against another diode elsewhere.
If this was the case I'd expect some other abnormal behavior when the 1-7 drop targets are down and you activate other switches on the same row such as the the upper right saucer or 3X inline drop target, etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-solenoid-misfire?tu=Quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.