Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I replaced the MPU on my EBD and then shortly thereafter fried two coils (right thumper bumper and one of the 7 drop target reset coils). Not sure if the coil issue is related to the new MPU or not. I replaced the fried coils and now have three coils that are not firing: the right thumper bumper, the saucer in upper right hand corner and the 7 target reset coil. They do not fire during game play or in the self-test mode. I checked all the fuses in the bottom of the cabinet and they are good. I found one fuse under the playfield that is also good. Do you have any other ideas on things for me to check?

#2 9 years ago

Do you have a manual? I'm guessing you have probably fried some transistors on the solenoid driver board. Do you know how to test transistors? Also look at the switch matrix in the manual. Both those coils are on the same row, so they have a wire in common. Also on that row are the tilt switch, the "D" roll over lane switch and the right out lane switch. Look at each of them for any obvious problems.

When you say you replaced the MPU, what did you replace it with? Were the plugs that attach to the MPU rebuilt as well?

#3 9 years ago

Was just looking at the schematics and the #7 drop target reset and the saucer are on the same transistor (Q4) on the solenoid driver board....what comes into play here is the solenoid expander board which allows one transistor to be used for two different coils. The right pop bumper transistor is Q1. Should check those transistors for sure.

#4 9 years ago

Be careful and dont fry your good coils. Check a manual/schematic to check transistors on SDB. They are fairly cheap and should be replaced anyway.........

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Was just looking at the schematics and the #7 drop target reset and the saucer are on the same transistor (Q4) on the solenoid driver board....what comes into play here is the solenoid expander board which allows one transistor to be used for two different coils. The right pop bumper transistor is Q1. Should check those transistors for sure.

Since he didn't mention the outhole or the other drop target resets not working the solenoid expander is probably working. But those two coils on Q4 definitely points to the transistor being bad. I agree, check Q1 and Q4.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Since he didn't mention the outhole or the other drop target resets not working the solenoid expander is probably working. But those two coils on Q4 definitely points to the transistor being bad. I agree, check Q1 and Q4.

If you do find those transistors bad and replace them, watch them closely when you turn the game on. Be prepared to turn the game off quickly if the coils lock on again...so you don't fry the transistors again. If they lock on, will have to look elsewhere to see what is causing the problem.

#7 9 years ago

Guys- Thanks for all the great advice. The new MPU is from Alltek. It does appear that transistors Q1 and Q4 are the culprits based on the schematic. Since I don't have the knowledge or expertise to take on PCB work, I am going to send the Solenoid Driver Board over to someone that does so he can check and replace the transistors. I am concerned about the coils locking on again after the transistors are replaced, so I will keep a close eye on things when I turn on the game for the first time after the repair.

#8 9 years ago

Check the diodes on those coils (or just replace the diodes, they are .01 cents each).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-solenoid-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.