Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2999 copy (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Working through my Eight Ball Deluxe. Sometimes on quick rollovers the A,B,C,D or outlane specials don’t always register. I adjusted and cleaned switches with a business card. Is my next move to add caps or to replace the switches?

#2 6 years ago

Usually caps on rollovers are not needed. Replacing should help. It maybe a good idea to repon the female switch connectors coming off the cpu board as well.

#3 6 years ago

clean and gap the switch properly is probably key. if you still have trouble add the cap.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on them some more.

#5 6 years ago

If there isn't a capacitor on the switch you need to put one on. It's shown in the schematics (see page 23 of the pdf):
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/762/Bally_1981_Eight_Ball_Deluxe_English_Manual_includes_paginated_schematics.pdf
It's a .05 mfd. It will defiantly make a difference in play.

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

Rollovers must have caps. The switches are usually hit by a fast moving ball. Early 80’s Bally all had caps on every rollover.

2 weeks later
#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Rollovers must have caps. The switches are usually hit by a fast moving ball. Early 80’s Bally all had caps on every rollover.

I tried it but it causes false triggering of the rollovers. I cut them off and ordered new rollover leaf switches.

#8 6 years ago

You tried it with the original caps or new ones? They are a must.

#9 6 years ago

They were new. I even opened the leaf contacts but I still had some false triggers. I figure new switches are worth a try at this point. If that doesn’t work I’ll try a new batch of caps from a different source.

1 year later
#10 4 years ago

Old thread. New switches and new caps. Rollovers working much better but still not 100%. Quick question. I don’t have the schematic. Does anyone know which board connectors the rollovers are connected to? It seems like sometimes a rollover may not register if the game is “talking”. Especially the right outlane rollover.

#11 4 years ago

Check your switch gaps.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Check your switch gaps.

Thanks. It was pretty close but I just adjusted it to about 1/32”. I’ll see if that helps. I found the manual on IPDB. Looks like J2 on the MPU board controls the switches. It’s an Alltek board but the connectors might need to be repinned.

#13 4 years ago

Adjust them with a ball. Make sure the ball hits the switch and closes it towards the middle of the stroke(watch the wire) If it closes the switch too early you’ll get phantom closures.

#14 4 years ago

There’s no perfect gap in inches. The switch wires get deformed. Use the ball and your eyes.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

There’s no perfect gap in inches. The switch wires get deformed. Use the ball and your eyes.

Will do, thanks.

#16 4 years ago

Occasionally a ball will fly out the outlane(s) on my EBD and I won’t get the sound effect because another voice or sound effect is already in progress. It is scoring but that always makes me wonder for a split second, because I’m not eyeballing the displays - “did it score?” A voice effect can be interrupted by another but they have priority over sound effects so they aren’t constantly being chopped short.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Occasionally a ball will fly out the outlane(s) on my EBD and I won’t get the sound effect because another voice or sound effect is already in progress. It is scoring but that always makes me wonder for a split second, because I’m not eyeballing the displays - “did it score?” A voice effect can be interrupted by another but they have priority over sound effects so they aren’t constantly being chopped short.

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Same thing on mine. I have definitely noticed on occasion that it does score correctly without any sound effect because a voice command is in progress. I’m convinced however that sometimes that right outlane just isn’t working 100%. I’ll mess with it some more this weekend.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Same thing on mine. I have definitely noticed on occasion that it does score correctly without any sound effect because a voice command is in progress. I’m convinced however that sometimes that right outlane just isn’t working 100%. I’ll mess with it some more this weekend.

I've definitely found on my early Ballys that it can only handle so many sound effects at once, and the points will register without the sound.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've definitely found on my early Ballys that it can only handle so many sound effects at once, and the points will register without the sound.

Thanks but there's still a problem with the right outlane. I'm sure of it now. I watched it roll through there today and it definitely did not register. New switch, new capacitor, new diode and the gap readjusted. Should I be looking somewhere else? Switch matrix? J2 on the MPU board?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2999 copy (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2999 copy (resized).jpg

#20 4 years ago

Repinned J2 connector on the MPU. Lots of green slime and a badly spliced wire. Seems like it did the trick. Right outlane has worked every time now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 199.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-rollovers-not-registering-on-quick-rolls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.