Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by phillyfan64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 days ago

Is there anything in the switch matrix that could cause the game to occasionally not register a rollover? I've had this issue before. I thought I had it resolved. Sometimes it's the left outlane. Sometimes it's the top left rollover switch. Every once in a blue moon it's the right outlane. I've replaced and regapped the outlane switches. Replaced the caps, replaced the diodes. Alltek MPU. Repinned J2. But every once in a while I still see this issue. Is there a diode or something somewhere else I should be looking at?

Yesterday during a game I hit the top left rollover and it didn't register. Then a few seconds later I hit it again and it seemed to jump 2 bonus positions, like it was catching up to the earlier miss. I don't know if that's a clue or not but I've never seen it do that before.

#2 5 days ago

Anyone? Bueller?

#3 5 days ago

That's a tough one, you've basically gone over all the things i would have suggested. Only thing i can think to do at this point would be to double check your crimps at J2, and check every switch's diode, cap, and wiring very closely for any potential short-circuits to nearby wiring/metal/etc. Problems like this are usually the most difficult to track down because it's happening intermittently.

#4 5 days ago

Thanks. Yeah it’s a tough one. I can’t duplicate it. It just happens every once in a while. I know sometimes the game will score correctly even without a sound effect which from what I’ve read is quite normal for this game. This can happen if the game is “talking”. But there’s definitely some instances where it’s not registering.

#5 5 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Sometimes it's the top left rollover switch.

Can we presume it's happening when the ball is traveling at high speed?
What's the chance that the ball might be slightly airborn over the star rollover so the switch isn't making contact when it happens?
Have you verified the switches make contact when the ball goes through along the hard left and hard right edges of those lanes?

#6 5 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can we presume it's happening when the ball is traveling at high speed?
What's the chance that the ball might be slightly airborn over the star rollover so the switch isn't making contact when it happens?
Have you verified the switches make contact when the ball goes through along the hard left and hard right edges of those lanes?

Yes it’s usually at a high rate of speed. I suppose it’s possible that it could be slightly airborne over the star rollover. It’s hard to tell. The left and right outlanes are gapped really close, probably 1/32” of an inch. It appears to be making solid contact. I have .047 uf caps on there. These caps are really tiny physically. Not sure of the brand. Maybe I need to try a different brand of capacitor. These are from Great Plains Electronics. I have some pretty large size ones from PBR that are the same value. Might be worth a try to swap them.

#7 5 days ago

You wouldn't normally need switch caps on outlanes. Star rollover, yes, but not regular lane switches.

#8 5 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

The left and right outlanes are gapped really close, probably 1/32” of an inch. It appears to be making solid contact. I have .047 uf caps on there.

Are your switch contacts nice and clean?

BTW, have you got capacitors on the flipper return lane switches? My EBD would miss switch activation on those lanes sometimes when the ball rolled through them too quickly. The game went into storage before I could put caps on those switches.

#9 5 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are your switch contacts nice and clean?
BTW, have you got capacitors on the flipper return lane switches? My EBD would miss switch activation on those lanes sometimes when the ball rolled through them too quickly. The game went into storage before I could put caps on those switches.

Switches are clean but I will go over them again with a business card. They are new switches. Well maybe a year or so old. I do also have new switches and new caps on the flipper lanes.

#10 3 days ago

Has J2 on the MPU been re-pinned? Has the header been reflowed.
Maybe it’s a continuity problem.
Just throwing it out there, as you’ve covered everything else.

#11 3 days ago
Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

Has J2 on the MPU been re-pinned? Has the header been reflowed.
Maybe it’s a continuity problem.
Just throwing it out there, as you’ve covered everything else.

J2 has been repinned. I did that one myself. I thought that resolved it last year but it has come back. The MPU is an Alltek board that’s probably 2 years old. I haven’t looked at the header but I might as well at this point.

#12 1 day ago

A lot of times on my EBD, with the outlanes in particular, seems the game won't make any scoring noise when it goes thru but I sort of think it's because the game is making some other sound effect at the time, and it probably did register even though I wasn't watching to see if it actually scored. Can't remember being ripped off when they were lit for special though. Did you try them in test or manually in play mode repeatedly and still get some misses?

#13 1 day ago

I know what you mean about it going through the lane silently because the game is busy making another sound effect. I’ve seen that several times and it does score. But this is different. This is occasionally not registering. I’m sure of it. I have not been able to trigger any missed scoring manually.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside